IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 8/4/2022 at 6:45 AM, Lukasluis said:

I found that my Intel NUC 8th gen i7 couldn't do PCM 1.536M poly-sinc-gauss-xla or xl. Could the Mac Mini M1 do this combination? 

My M1 is doing just fine. No issues. I have it outputting to a Holo Spring 3. Using LNS15 20-bit poly sinc gauss long. 

With todays Nvidia announcement I am not sure how the lower cuda core count for both the 4080 12gb (7680 cores) and 4080 16gb (9728 cores) will affect HQP up sampling vs the 3080 (8704 cores) or the 3080 Ti (10240 cores).  Boost speeds are certainly much higher on the 40 series GPU's 2505 & 2610 MHz vs the 3080's (1655-1710 MHz)  does the faster speed make up for less cuda cores?

46 minutes ago, Quadman said:

With todays Nvidia announcement I am not sure how the lower cuda core count for both the 4080 12gb (7680 cores) and 4080 16gb (9728 cores) will affect HQP up sampling vs the 3080 (8704 cores) or the 3080 Ti (10240 cores).  Boost speeds are certainly much higher on the 40 series GPU's 2505 & 2610 MHz vs the 3080's (1655-1710 MHz)  does the faster speed make up for less cuda cores?

Number of "CUDA cores" only makes sense when comparing GPUs within the same architecture generation. Overall, I've found it being pretty meaningless number otherwise.

Many of the performance improvements from past generations of Nvidia GPU architecture come from things like multitasking capabilities. For example based on raw numbers, AMD GPUs should be more powerful for HQPlayer cases. But their multitasking capability is far behind Nvidia and essentially the AMD GPUs don't do any better than Nvidia.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

8 hours ago, pis99 said:

With the announcement of Intel 13900K today, how do you see the impact of new generation CPU Intel 13900K (IPC5.8) and AMD 7950X(IPC5.7) on Hqplayer? If you were to buy one CPU tomorrow, which one would you choose and why?

We'll know once both have been benchmarked with HQPlayer. But if I'd need to pick up either one, I would take 7950X or maybe 7900X. Seems like AMD has made bigger upgrade to their processors. In Intel's traditional tick-tock system, 13th gen seems to be a tick, just a small refinement. While AMD rolled out Zen 4. Intel's 12th gen was clearly a tock.

But also depends on your OS. AMD is especially strong on Linux.

9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Hi @Miska would you consider putting AVX512 back to AMD build? If yes I'll switch!😁

I doubt it would make much positive difference, since they did it cheap and implemented it on top of AVX2.

I understood that their server CPU model may actually have a real implementation. Like Intel too.

(discussed for example here)

1 hour ago, Miska said:

We'll know once both have been benchmarked with HQPlayer. But if I'd need to pick up either one, I would take 7950X or maybe 7900X. Seems like AMD has made bigger upgrade to their processors. In Intel's traditional tick-tock system, 13th gen seems to be a tick, just a small refinement. While AMD rolled out Zen 4. Intel's 12th gen was clearly a tock.

But also depends on your OS. AMD is especially strong on Linux.

Is the reason AMD is good on Linux because of scheduler being better or because of other stuff?

On 3/19/2022 at 6:42 AM, oneguy said:

Is this on an air cooled setup? I kind of view it as the naturally aspirated vs forced induction discussion. Sure forced induction has more potential but there’s something magical about an exotic all motor powerplant. I want to push my system to limit of what possible without any forced air. 

delid, copper IHS, conductonaut. 

I don’t need higher clock speed. Just better heat management to use the power potential I do have. 

Hey Oneguy, have you ever gone through the delid, copper IHS? Rockit seems to have great service. Would appreciate your feedback.

3 hours ago, MarekBoro said:

Could you enable ROCm with new builds?

I don't think it is worth re-enabling at the moment. Too many complaints from HQPlayer users and practically nobody using it. Especially since AMD doesn't support any consumer grade cards and getting the supported pro cards is difficult and expensive.

image.png.9fcaf7f4cb4c163f31a728f6221874a3.png

Locally I can only find Instinct MI100 and it costs 6400 EUR, which is outside of my current budget.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't think it is worth re-enabling at the moment. Too many complaints from HQPlayer users and practically nobody using it. Especially since AMD doesn't support any consumer grade cards and getting the supported pro cards is difficult and expensive.

Locally I can only find Instinct MI100 and it costs 6400 EUR, which is outside of my current budget.

I don't disagree with this decision, however.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1648891-REG/amd_100_506157_radeon_pro_w6800_graphic.html

No electron left behind.

20 hours ago, Miska said:

Does it mean that on consumer GPUs ROCm isn't working?

Anyway I've just bought RTX3060 with 12GB RAM.

Which filters I can accelerate with such graphic card? RoomEQ possible?

Please don't say that it is not enough :)

31 minutes ago, MarekBoro said:

Does it mean that on consumer GPUs ROCm isn't working?

Yes, for a while it was partially working. Then it stopped working altogether.

And then they started lagging behind when Ubuntu released 22.04 and they didn't support it.

In addition, when you have AMD GPU that isn't supported, HQPlayer fails to start completely because their library bails out.

And they don't support statically linking their library set which means everybody needs to have the ROCm package repositories correctly configured or HQPlayer cannot be started. This was main source of complaints.

So, I've given up for the moment.

Anyway I've just bought RTX3060 with 12GB RAM.

Much better choice.

Which filters I can accelerate with such graphic card?

All poly-sinc and sinc- filters.

RoomEQ possible?

Yes, convolution can run on GPU as well.

Support for more offloading things is coming in future.

2 hours ago, shoubhikbhatti said:

@Miska not sure if this has been answered before, is there any plan to support GPUs on the Mac M1, M2 chips?

Maybe something limited at some point. But the programming model Apple offers for these chips is not very suitable and is more geared towards graphics tasks than HPC.

On 10/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, pis99 said:

Hey Oneguy, have you ever gone through the delid, copper IHS? Rockit seems to have great service. Would appreciate your feedback.

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been busy getting ready for a move. 

I did the delid myself so I can’t comment on their delid service but their product was solid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, Miska said:

Now the new Zen 4 generation Ryzen 7000-series CPUs have been published:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-launches-zen-4-ryzen-7000

29% single thread performance increase over previous generation, which would hopefully mean that the top Ryzen 9 will do DSD1024 with EC modulators easily.

What about now that 13900k specs are out. Would Ryzen still be your suggestion?

I have all my bits for the build on the way except mobo and cpu.

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

10 hours ago, EMINENT said:

What about now that 13900k specs are out. Would Ryzen still be your suggestion?

13900K is primarily more efficiency cores and somewhat bumped up clocks. So essentially improved 12900K. Not a bad choice.

Will need to have both new Ryzens and 13th Gen Intel's tested to say which way. But I'm expecting relatively bigger improvement in Ryzen from previous gen, compared to 12th to 13th Gen Intel.