IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not i9, but maybe Rendu...

Oh darn! Ok let me check with Andrew Gillis/SGC if there's a way around this. Didn't realise the oRendu can be a bottleneck.

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Rendu should be fine up to 768k.

Indeed when I set HQP to PCM1.024, it play seamlessly but showed only 768k on the Holo May.

Strangely though, when I set HQP to PCM1.536, Holo May showed the correct rate of 1.536... except that it stalls.

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

18 minutes ago, ArcticSapien said:

Indeed when I set HQP to PCM1.024, it play seamlessly but showed only 768k on the Holo May.

Strangely though, when I set HQP to PCM1.536, Holo May showed the correct rate of 1.536... except that it stalls.

1.024 MHz is multiple of 32 kHz which is not supported by Holo May. 768k is highest supported below 1.024M. Since the supported rates are ...705.6k, 768k, 1.4112M, 1.536M...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

supported rates are ...705.6k, 768k, 1.4112M, 1.536M...

Got it, thanks! Yes, it now correctly shows 1.4112M... but stalls. Best I could get is 768k without stalling.

As for PDM, I could only get DSD256. DSD512 stalls.

Not very sure if my bottleneck is the oRendu or the Holo May. Will check with both of them.

(I thought though some folks here use a similar setup without problems, i.e. Roon > HQP > opticalRendu > Holo May)

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

27 minutes ago, ArcticSapien said:

Got it, thanks! Yes, it now correctly shows 1.4112M... but stalls. Best I could get is 768k without stalling.

As for PDM, I could only get DSD256. DSD512 stalls.

You have not accidentally select "DoP" as "SDM Pack" method? It should be set to "None".

If it goes to 1.4/1.5M then the problem is not May's firmware version.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

It should be set to "None".

Yes, SDM Pack showing as None. Thanks.

Will focus on checking out oRendu issues.

1 hour ago, ArcticSapien said:

(I thought though some folks here use a similar setup without problems, i.e. Roon > HQP > opticalRendu > Holo May)

Your issue is the optical rendu most likely.  I assume your HQP PC uses Windows as the OS since you say you have driver 5.27 installed?  If so to check firmware find the little upward triangle on the taskbar, click that it will show hidden icons, scroll over each, one should be called Holo control panel, open that the 4th or 5th tab from the left will show you firmware version.  30.14 will not support PCM 1.4xx/1.5xx or DSD 1024.  When did you buy your dac?  If within the last few months then you probably have a 31.4x firmware and the newest Gen 2.1 USB module so the holo would handle those higher rates.  The holo with the correct firmware has zero issues playing higher rates, I listen to DSD1024 for hours on end.  I know very little of the optical rendu and its workings except I read lots of problems with a lot of users trying to get the highest up sample rates.  A Filet 2 or 3 with an optical module with Jussi's NAA image would be an overall easier solution once set up properly and still give you the isolation you desire.  Or just run the HQP PC via USB direct to the Holo It sounds amazing that way as well.

I am using PCM 1.4xx/1.5xx with my Holo May fed by an opticalRendu.  It works great and sounds great.

My Roon/Hqplayer PC uses an Intel i5-6400T CPU.  I am currently using the poly-sinc-gauss-long filter. 

The Holo May has the Gen 2.1 USB module installed.

My system here

5 hours ago, scintilla said:

I think we have a winner in the M1 Ultra Apple studio.  It will be so interesting to see just how far HQP pushes it. Since I have been waiting to upgrade my desktop for this year's releases, I am ready to roll on Studio and Display.  Fun times ahead...

Bring money, and/or prepare to go to a long term ramen noodle diet! 

JC

5 hours ago, scintilla said:

I think we have a winner in the M1 Ultra Apple studio.  It will be so interesting to see just how far HQP pushes it. Since I have been waiting to upgrade my desktop for this year's releases, I am ready to roll on Studio and Display.  Fun times ahead...

I disagree, but hey, you do what you want with your money.

No electron left behind.

20 hours ago, Cormorant said:

I am using PCM 1.4xx/1.5xx with my Holo May fed by an opticalRendu.

Looks very much like my setup, except I've Roon Rock (on i7 NUC) and HQP (on i9) in two different machines. But mine is stalling at 1.4xx. Do you've any tips on where else I should look into changing? 

I saw another discussion where they suspect it's a buffer issue. Proposed solution was to add buffer to the network switch... Sounds logical but that didn't seem to work. Bummer. 

22 hours ago, Quadman said:
23 hours ago, ArcticSapien said:

Your issue is the optical rendu most likely. 

Yes indeed, likely opticalRendu issue... Although Sonore's website claims to be able to handle DSD512. As noted above, it may be a buffering issue. My HQP is on a Win11 OS machine and Holo May is new too. 

3 hours ago, ArcticSapien said:

Looks very much like my setup, except I've Roon Rock (on i7 NUC) and HQP (on i9) in two different machines. But mine is stalling at 1.4xx. Do you've any tips on where else I should look into changing?

Just the normal network checks you've already probably done.  Things I can think of at the moment:

* Flow control enabled on managed switches

* Jumbo frames enabled

* Check integrity of physical ethernet cabling

* Update opticalRendu to recent 4.2.0 NAA

Cheers.

My system here

Hello fellow audiophiles, haven't posted (or listened to music) on a while, job duties. Anyway I'm finishing a watercooled build with a 12900K which I will possibly be OC and deliding it going waterblock straight to cpu die. Has anyone done anything like it already? it is also DDR5 and this will be OC as well. DSD512 with EC modulators of course it will be possible, I was wondering if there is a chance DSD1024 with EC mods could be? most likely not but just asking

40 minutes ago, luisma said:

I was wondering if there is a chance DSD1024 with EC mods could be?

You need a decent GPU to support this. My i9+DDR5+3080Ti HQPe server can do DSD1024 / DSD1024x48 using DSD5EC (all filters except 1x sinc-L series, limited by 12GB GPU memory) or AMSDM7EC (roughly 95% of the filters). FYI.

3 hours ago, luisma said:

Hello fellow audiophiles, haven't posted (or listened to music) on a while, job duties. Anyway I'm finishing a watercooled build with a 12900K which I will possibly be OC and deliding it going waterblock straight to cpu die. Has anyone done anything like it already? it is also DDR5 and this will be OC as well. DSD512 with EC modulators of course it will be possible, I was wondering if there is a chance DSD1024 with EC mods could be? most likely not but just asking

Have you found a delidding tool for the 12900k?

20 hours ago, Cormorant said:

Update opticalRendu to recent 4.2.0 NAA

Thanks. Checking with SGC now on where to find 4.2.0 NAA

On rechecking opticalRendu specs, I saw that it is rated up to 768k only. Odd that some like you are able to get 1.4xx/1.5xx?? Perhaps the flow control helped?

11 hours ago, luisma said:

watercooled build with a 12900K

For what it's worth, I've just fixed up a i9-12900 + 32Gb DDR5 + watercooling (but without GPU) + HQP 4 Desktop on Win11... I can't play at higher than DSD256. Just gotta make sure the network bridge and DAC don't become your bottleneck, as is apparently in my case.

46 minutes ago, ArcticSapien said:

Just do a software update via the Software Manager in sonicorbiter.com and you will get the updated HQPlayer NAA.  I was able to run the Holo May at the highest rates before the NAA update, so that might not fix your issue.

On rechecking opticalRendu specs, I saw that it is rated up to 768k only. Odd that some like you are able to get 1.4xx/1.5xx??

It's my understanding that Sonore can't certify it in house because they don't have a test setup with a DAC that goes that high.  Other opticalRendu customers have declared success though, like me.

Perhaps the flow control helped?

Could be. I have an Ubiquiti managed switch and I was able to set it in the Unifi network manager software.  I was also able to set Jumbo Frames for the switch in the same place.  What switch or switches do you have between your HQPlayer box and the opticalRendu?

My system here

Not sure why sonicorbiter is giving me only 4.1.3. Following up separately with SGC.

11 minutes ago, Cormorant said:

Other opticalRendu customers have declared success though, like me.

Yes indeed, saw others getting this too. You're probably right about them not having DACs to test this.

I use the Trendnet that SGC sent (model TEG-S51SFP). I've been checking but I think this one doesn't have flow control. May have to get different one like your's.

temp.png

28 minutes ago, ArcticSapien said:

I use the Trendnet that SGC sent (model TEG-S51SFP).

It looks like you also use a TP-Link SFP?  I got that from a previous post of yours: "Trendnet Gigabit Switch with TP-Link SFP Module (supplied by SGC)".

I'm using an opticalModule Deluxe so that is another difference between our systems.

Are you using the Gen 2.1 USB on the Holo May or the original version?

My system here

1 hour ago, ArcticSapien said:

On rechecking opticalRendu specs, I saw that it is rated up to 768k only. Odd that some like you are able to get 1.4xx/1.5xx?? Perhaps the flow control helped?

With Rendu/SMS-200 and such you must have flow control active, because these small devices cannot keep up with sustained gigabit speeds. Otherwise there will be hardware buffer overflows. Flow control is managed directly by the low level ethernet hardware and doesn't involve software, that's why it is efficient also when the bottleneck is bus bandwidth between ethernet controller and CPU.

It is highly recommended for all other devices too, because it helps avoiding packet loss and resends.

42 minutes ago, ArcticSapien said:

Not sure why sonicorbiter is giving me only 4.1.3. Following up separately with SGC.

Yes indeed, saw others getting this too. You're probably right about them not having DACs to test this.

I use the Trendnet that SGC sent (model TEG-S51SFP). I've been checking but I think this one doesn't have flow control. May have to get different one like your's.

Yes, it has all the needed features, just lacking 802.3az (EEE) which is my recommendation:

2888025_Screenshotfrom2022-03-1017-06-01.png.0b7d3fc6a66cea2ba00036c3ca9487d7.png

802.3x = Flow Control, 802.1p = QoS/CoS

My recommendations:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-350-series-managed-switches/index.html?ccid=cc001531

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/switches/access/2530-series/

Note that both of these will require correct configuration. And they are not plug-and-play out of the box. You will need to go to the settings and enable flow control, QoS and EEE. You may also need to check out multicast snooping settings. But once configured correctly, these work great. These should also work with VLANs for RAVENNA and such.