IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

2 hours ago, fds said:

Now what about Apples new M1?

We'll see, but so far it is replacing only the U-series (ultralight notebook) Intel CPUs, not any of the bigger ones. But likely in future there will be new models for bigger machines.

I think I will sometime in near future get the new Mac Mini with M1 to test and see how it works. My initial expectation is that it can do DSD256 with regular (non-EC) modulators and 2s filters.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I think if the new Mac Mini is silent enough, it could be a very attractive Audio Machine.

Not sure how it applies to HQPlayer but the single and multi core Benchmarks for the new Macs I have just seen are very impressive. With a fully optimized HQ Player for Mac probably even more so.

Would be great if you could share your findings here @Miska.

i9-9900K, i9-9900KS, i9-10900K and Xeon W-2245 work fine here. I usually post information about my new builds and upgrades. Latest one is i9-10900K on Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard and Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 low CL RAM.

Thanks again Miska for your feedback. A lot of processing power needed for these modulators 9_9

Cheers, Jesper

On 11/9/2020 at 11:46 PM, Rune said:

i9-9900KS will not do DSD256EC -> Sinc-L only DSD128EC-> Sinc-L

O.o 
Is it true for DSD64 to DSD256 too?

I mean, what's the minimum CPU suggested to run 256EC modulator with native DSD64 files?

I'm currently running ASDM7/DSD256 with my I5-8400 in a passively cooled chassis, so I'm trying to understand if I could run EC modulators without changing the whole chassis

3 hours ago, Ipoci said:

O.o 
Is it true for DSD64 to DSD256 too?

I mean, what's the minimum CPU suggested to run 256EC modulator with native DSD64 files?

I'm currently running ASDM7/DSD256 with my I5-8400 in a passively cooled chassis, so I'm trying to understand if I could run EC modulators without changing the whole chassis

I also have an i5 8400 in a Streamcom passive cooling case with an ASUS Z370I MB. I can run ASDM7EC/DSD256 as long as I stick to the 2s filters. However; I am only able to do this if the XMP profile1 is activated in BIOS and I can only use HQP 4.6 for it to work. Jussi made some changes in 4.7 and later versions that break it for my setup so I am staying with 4.6. It does work but CPU temps (using Speccy) are in the 60-70 C range and all cores are running hard. I also have Roon running on this machine. In the future I know that I will need a more powerful and probably liquid cooled machine but that is a battle for another day.

1 hour ago, luisma said:

I considered posting on the main HQPlayer thread but I believe this is more specific and appropriate.

Finally assembled my intended to be endpoint / NAA, it turned out I went with the new AMD CPU's, specifically with the entry level Ryzen 5600X

I will keep posting about this, I know DSD256 EC7 is not news but with such entry CPU I wasn't expecting this good performance in clock and temperatures, I can just think what the 5800X or 5950X could do.

Luisma,

What is your server config (when using this new 5600x as intended NAA)?  Will THAT setup do more filters with DSD256 and EC?

9 hours ago, mikel said:

I think if the new Mac Mini is silent enough, it could be a very attractive Audio Machine.

Not sure how it applies to HQPlayer but the single and multi core Benchmarks for the new Macs I have just seen are very impressive. With a fully optimized HQ Player for Mac probably even more so.

Would be great if you could share your findings here @Miska.

Yes, I’d prefer to go with what I am comfortable with ie a mac mini ... if it can do the job.

But - the apple specs page just doesn’t give a processor speed for the M1 version, unlike the Intel, apart from claiming a multiple speed step up.

Have to wait for such ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

4 hours ago, luisma said:

I am currently running HQPe with DSD256 7EC

image.thumb.png.d48127379388e3d2e655bec87b5f9c77.png

Which for such entry level CPU is impressive, it is not missing a beat with the default settings detected by HQPe, CPU wise I wish more cores would be used

Playing PCM 44 khz converted to DSD256 poli-sin-ext2

image.png.2b5632376494d1c4c113a81c4cce542f.png

These figures look very close to my i7-8086K server load figures, which is also 6 core CPU. 8086K hangs around 92 - 94% load on the high loaded cores.

The figures also look pretty much same to the Xeon W-2245 which cannot go to turbo clocks from the base rate because of AVX-512 usage in HQPlayer.

So I would say it is pretty promising result for a reasonably priced CPU.

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Sounds like the 5950X I have on order will have 10 cores sitting doing nothing.

It purely depends on what you want to do. Some cases can load plenty of cores. Even with single-stage poly-sinc-xtr you can already get some load on all cores.

Note that in above cases, HQPlayer correctly avoids putting much load on the core siblings (threads). So work is distributed mostly among six physical cores.

8 hours ago, Quadman said:

re you running a GPU for cuda offload as well, or just for graphics with no cuda offload?

No CUDA offload, the graphic card you see it is just temporary, I don't have too much room (TDP wise) for graphics there, I think the build could have an Nvidia 1650 but I don't think I could do much with that card and HQPlayer, any of you trying offload could provide some more info on this?

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

Luisma,

What is your server config (when using this new 5600x as intended NAA)?  Will THAT setup do more filters with DSD256 and EC?

My intention was to use a Fractal Define Midtower (not the XL) with a 5950X or 5800X, water cooled most likely, if I go that route I will use a small celeron fanless like I'm using today for the NAA and possibly will re purpose the fanless to do something else

On the other hand if I am happy with the fanless I might keep it for a while as a server. Really don't know yet.

6 hours ago, luisma said:

No CUDA offload, the graphic card you see it is just temporary, I don't have too much room (TDP wise) for graphics there, I think the build could have an Nvidia 1650 but I don't think I could do much with that card and HQPlayer, any of you trying offload could provide some more info on this?

I don't think such GPU would necessarily make sense with such CPU. It would be likely just slowing down things.

You could put Intel ethernet card there instead to make it work with HQPlayer OS?

Some data now available for the new Apple M1 chip:

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/pc-hardware/51878-tame-apple-press-claim-benchmark-proves-m1-chip-is-faster-than-intel-s-old-one

"13-inch MacBook Pro with M1 chip and 16GB RAM that has a single-core score of 1714 and a multi-core score of 6802. Like the "MacBook Air", it has a 3.2GHz base frequency."

Interesting that on Geekbench my 8086k provides single core performance score of 1311, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 1637

The new Mac Mini might well end up performing well with HQPlayer - all depends upon how well the software runs on it, and if it also will support booting into Linux off a USB... bootcamp is no more.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You could put Intel ethernet card there instead to make it work with HQPlayer OS

Thanks but I don't have a slot for a network card, I will try some other things with Linux, unless you confirm that HQPOs does a better job distributing loads evenly across cores in which case I will go further to replace the entire board for a bigger board with slots, it is a lot of work though

Done some more testing today including moderate OC on the Zen3 platform, while this topic is not OC related if you are interested I can list the specific parameters. The issue is the Zen3 architecture doesn't include temperature reporting yet on existing kernels, some patches are on the works and official support on kernel 5.10. So I am stopping now. I could run poli xtr with only one brief drop per song on a more stable way with my OC settings. Temperatures measured with my hand LOL seems to be under my high stress reference in Windows where I reached 86 Celsius.

I wish I could test HQPOS with this board, definitely HQPe core distribution algorithms behavior with filters was carefully planned by Miska.

This is a current load with poli xtr DSD256 ASDM7EC, notice the threads not being used, on purpose as Miska mentioned before

image.png.adc16c7db7af2637ce4ac720a2d9ee49.png

cpu MHz         : 4468.852
cpu MHz         : 4193.196
cpu MHz         : 4080.101
cpu MHz         : 4469.149
cpu MHz         : 4063.149
cpu MHz         : 4125.102
cpu MHz         : 4535.641
cpu MHz         : 3938.520
cpu MHz         : 3701.554
cpu MHz         : 4494.776
cpu MHz         : 3563.065
cpu MHz         : 3058.972

But with closed-form, no drops no stuttering, the CPU distributions is completely different, threads are used more and 2 cores used very briefly

image.png.3c33aa0ffa481c385afe5df99b5bec10.png

cpu MHz         : 4565.087
cpu MHz         : 3041.200
cpu MHz         : 3036.983
cpu MHz         : 4565.043
cpu MHz         : 3113.053
cpu MHz         : 3048.234
cpu MHz         : 4564.443
cpu MHz         : 3039.339
cpu MHz         : 3042.859
cpu MHz         : 4566.548
cpu MHz         : 3048.860
cpu MHz         : 3044.009

All in all I am very satisfied with the CPU and the fanless build, except for the board which have a Realtek card and which I will possibly replace I think when the new kernels include support for better CPU handling on the Zen3 arch certainly more performance could be obtained.

3 hours ago, luisma said:

But with closed-form, no drops no stuttering, the CPU distributions is completely different, threads are used more and 2 cores used very briefly

image.png.3c33aa0ffa481c385afe5df99b5bec10.png

This is also intentional for some workload cases.

3 hours ago, luisma said:

except for the board which have a Realtek card

Realtek is cheap solution and that's why it is so popular. But if possible, better to go with something else as it has become somewhat problematic with Linux kernels. I already have some extra things for it on HQPlayer OS, but it doesn't seem to be sufficient for all cases. Higher end motherboards usually have for example Intel ethernet which is well supported. I have also some motherboards with Killer Ethernet which can be also problematic, but so far has been luckily working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this, very interesting approach from AMD.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16267/amd-precision-boost-overdrive-2-adaptive-undervolting-for-ryzen-5000-coming-soon

Seems the CPU that will benefit from this the most is the 5900X (and possibly the 5950X) but the 5900X having higher base clock could be better for HQPlayer if you will be undervolting

Performance numbers from AMD would suggest that this technique, compared to a simple fixed undervolt and core frequency increase, can lead to a +2% single thread performance improvement, or up to a +10% multi-thread performance improvement for the Ryzen 9 5900X. AMD stated to us that this technique works best with multiple CCDs, and fewer cores per CCD, so the Ryzen 9 5900X is going to be the best goal for the technology. AMD has also stated that this is going to be applied to all new processors going forward, however it will not be back-ported to Ryzen 3000 as it requires some engineering optimizations in Ryzen 5000 that are non-transferrable.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, Rune said:

And I am sure the 5600X runs a lot cooler than the intel i7-8086K CPU👍 This is very promising especially for those building passive systems.

Sounds like the 5950X I have on order will have 10 cores sitting doing nothing.

I have a 5950x in my desktop computer and it's an absolute monster... If the software can use its cores. I'm not sure it would be a good CPU for HQPlayer. My CAPS which runs Euphony OS and HQPlayer Embedded has an Intel 10900K in it.

No electron left behind.