IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

10 hours ago, salaryman said:

I think I will re-install all heatsink and heatpipe this weekend.

Last time when I install this 9700K system for trial, it was after uninstall the 5600X system without reapply new paste.

Will update here if there is any improvement in temperature.

My experience with the HDPlex

1. Don't use a thermal paste that is too sticky, more on the liquid (without running all over the place) side, especially for the CPU right panel heathsink

2. Apply generously but without overdoing, just a thin film will do.

3. Obviously you will need plenty of it, it takes some quantity to fill

If you can touch the side heatsink and keep your hand and fingers there and your system is going throttle down then you don't have good transfer, under stress I cannot keep my hand on the heatsink, check the copper pipes are not broken or punctured

5 hours ago, salaryman said:

But in hdplex's video, really no thermal paste applied between heatpipe and side panel, as shown in the youtube (start: 8:30):

LOL what a misleading video, OMG of course you need to fill in with thermal paste, I followed some other instructions I guess.

I'm going to start replying all in one post

Apparently Zen 3 temperature support was added to other kernels as well as jl kernel has it

image.thumb.png.01784696c47a25fd5d9d1f618dc12d28.png

Note I'm playing DSD256 EC7

image.png.09856d02c2a719368728122e121df325.png

No drops with this content and this filter ....  temperatures on the low 70's, different filters could create different load conditions.

But don't go back to the 5600X, stick to Intel, still better it seems

For example poli-xtr-mp although better core distribution and seemingly slightly lower clock on the "main" 2 cores drops out every once in a while

image.thumb.png.d8b80a342a018b1c178e6d3fdb93c27a.png

37 minutes ago, luisma said:

With a stress test (corefreq Atomic Burn) funnily temperatures stay under 72 C, I say funnily because HQPlayer "instructions" made the CPU to reach 83 C

On modern CPUs, heat production always depends on kind of instructions the CPU is executing. If the used code is simple enough it won't keep all the CPU core parts active. HQPlayer is not heaviest kind of load, but it will keep integer, floating point and vector units active along with heavy use of caches.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, luisma said:

Last time I checked (Dec 2020) with the Ryzen 5xxx architecture it did not, it was planned for development but don't know, I have to check

EDIT: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.10-AMD-Zen3-k10temp

Which kernel are you running? apparently was planned for 5.10, I'm running the jl kernel currently at 5.4.85-jl+

Whatever is in Ubuntu 20.04, I think it's 5.8. But it looks like you have it sorted below.

No electron left behind.

I bought from a member of this forum, an HDPlex H3 with an i5-8400 on a Gigabyte Z370N motherboard.
After a quick optimization of Win10 LTSC with A0, PL .. MC 100, without using Fidelizer, I read the Redbook in DSD256 ASDM7EC without problem.
I can't seem to get the latency down. I don't know if the processor has a problem. No problem with the audio, only LatencyMon gives me bad results...
Or if I haven't found the correct settings in the bios.
Even if the optimization is a little brutal (I have not yet put my hands in the registry), this is what it gives with a set that is almost 2 years old.

52° after one hour of music 😉

spacer.png

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska turns out I am on 5.8. Something happened and there are a lot of Ubuntu forums talking about it, but there was an update to 5.8 for the LTS Ubuntu 20.04 recently.

Screenshot from 2021-01-20 21-46-16.png

That looks like the HWE branch kernel.

If you use stock kernel, you may want to switch to the lowlatency kernel, to get the HWE one you can install metapackage "linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04"

On 1/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, salaryman said:

I think I will re-install all heatsink and heatpipe this weekend.

Last time when I install this 9700K system for trial, it was after uninstall the 5600X system without reapply new paste.

Will update here if there is any improvement in temperature.

What motherboard and BIOS are you running? New BIOS releases with support for the 5000 series processors are hitting the AMD motherboard world on a weekly basis. I've read that some of them are creating heat issues.

My plan is to acquire a 5900x but so far they are tough to get.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 hours ago, Miska said:

That looks like the HWE branch kernel.

If you use stock kernel, you may want to switch to the lowlatency kernel, to get the HWE one you can install metapackage "linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04"

I checked and apparently I am on the HWE branch... I didn't do anything to get there, is it possible that it was done automatically due to my hardware requiring support that 5.4 doesn't have?

No electron left behind.

12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I checked and apparently I am on the HWE branch... I didn't do anything to get there, is it possible that it was done automatically due to my hardware requiring support that 5.4 doesn't have?

Could be, I just recently installed Ubuntu on my new Ryzen 7 5800X machine and it didn't install HWE kernel although the hardware needs it, so it is not always clear...

11 hours ago, lmitche said:

What motherboard and BIOS are you running? New BIOS releases with support for the 5000 series processors are hitting the AMD motherboard world on a weekly basis. I've read that some of them are creating heat issues.

My plan is to acquire a 5900x but so far they are tough to get.

I am using MSI B550M MORTAR, BIOS is Nov-2020 version.

I just take it with 5600X out for test once more, naked with the stock fan on.

Audiolinux - hqplayer embedded - poly-sinc-ext2, 256EC7

Everything works fine without single drop out.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:49 PM, Miska said:

I got the new Ryzen 7 5800X machine up and running after changing the motherboard. So now it has

G.Skill would also have DDR4-3800 CL14 RAM, but it wasn't available.

ASDM7EC just about works:

Screenshot_2021-01-13_03-25-05.thumb.png.9b296cef4047b44ad0857ee16d4eab94.png

Hi Miska. Thanks for all you great advice.  Are you still getting dropouts using the 5800x and ASDM7EC and if so how significant???

2 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Hi Miska. Thanks for all you great advice.  Are you still getting dropouts using the 5800x and ASDM7EC and if so how significant???

No drop-outs, but it is quite on the edge, so not much margin. When something gets a bit more complex in future it is very close.

2 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

How do you find the sound compared to Intel? Is there a noticeable difference / character ??

It sounds the same, unless there is some additional error in calculation (shouldn't be). I will run some more tests over time and try to see some alternative optimizations as well.

My main comparison between Windows/Linux/macOS (Apple M1) systems is through UP Gateway running NAA OS to Holo Audio Spring L2 DAC at DSD256 using ASDM7EC modulator and poly-sinc-ext2 and sinc-S filters. In addition, I have RME ADI-2 Pro AE connected to the AMD based Linux machine, further connected over balanced analog connection to T+A HA 200 and Solitaire headphones. (Windows machine has direct USB connection to the HA 200)

@Miska or anyone out there with a serious horsepower machine:  is it possible to upsample 44xDSD to 48xDSD rates at 256 / ASDM7EC without crackling? It’s the one playback scenario my 10600k (4.8 ghz all core OC) can’t manage. 

[Edited to note there are certainly combinations that will stutter (non 2s / non integer XTR for example) but using ext2 and offload to a 2060 super, the next heaviest operation I use semi regularly is 176k to 12.28 MHz DSD / ASDM7EC with no issue. Just curious more than anything!]