IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

thanks Miska

I took the Cisco switch out a few weeks ago as it didn't seem to make as much difference now I have the Network Bridge

but maybe I'll put it back again as a kind of EM noise buffer

I have no idea whether I have 802.3x flow control enabled in the Cisco settings....?

I reset the switch when I bought it - have no other way of interaacting with it

i have no console cable, etc.

18 hours ago, JamesBardsley said:

thanks Miska

I took the Cisco switch out a few weeks ago as it didn't seem to make as much difference now I have the Network Bridge

but maybe I'll put it back again as a kind of EM noise buffer

I have no idea whether I have 802.3x flow control enabled in the Cisco settings....?

I reset the switch when I bought it - have no other way of interaacting with it

i have no console cable, etc.

I am not sure about this switch, but most can be accessed by typing their ip address into a browser. Check the Cisco website for instructions on how to get at the settings.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:02 AM, Blakcloud said:

I own the Terminator and it is connected by SPDIF from my Aurender Music server. I was using an Aurender USB music server last week but switched over when I did a comparison between the two. The USB was good but the SPDIF is better. This inspired me to purchase an even better SPDIF cable from Audio Sensibility.

BTW, what spdif cable did you get?

1 hour ago, JamesBardsley said:

Anyone know a Terminator owner who lives inNorthern England or wales?

who might be willing to let me hear it briefly?

l am an academic at Lancaster University...

James,

I would advise you to prepare your wallet first. LOL. Its extremely addictive, u will have withdrawal symptoms once you hear the beast in action. I had a Qutest and Pontus, sold both and got meself the Termy. Its just so clean and analogue sounding. You will have to spend a few thousands more to reach the levels that she can dish out. No hint of digital hash at all, in my case as I am running a digital system. Wishing you all the best in your quest. Cheers.

36 minutes ago, juanitox said:

a good news for hardisk sellers 😉

From nativedsd you can download in DSD64 if you like. Nobody force you to 512 :D 

I got in DSD256 and it took 7.3GB of space :D 

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Open Baffle speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win11 + Fidelizer Pro

44 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

An 8tb wd drive can be had for us$140. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=twister_B07HGRPHSK?_encoding

If you open the drive you will invariably find a white label wd red helium filled drive.

Like most plastic coated portable drives, their use for 24/7 application is highly doubtful. Whether WD, Seagate or metal clad cases, doesn't matter, they heat up and cause the drives or their controllers to fail in only a few months. What works for me (so far) to backup the internal Server drive's Music folder, the Seagate 8TB drive is powered up remotely (Kasa smart switch) when needed, connected directly to the server via USB 3. Once the backup is finished, the disk is ejected and powered off. The drive would only be on for 10 minutes at the most. Backup software is Beyond Compare.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Like most plastic coated portable drives, their use for 24/7 application is highly doubtful. Whether WD, Seagate or metal clad cases, doesn't matter, they heat up and cause the drives or their controllers to fail in only a few months. What works for me (so far) to backup the internal Server drive's Music folder, the Seagate 8TB drive is powered up remotely (Kasa smart switch) when needed, connected directly to the server via USB 3. Once the backup is finished, the disk is ejected and powered off. The drive would only be on for 10 minutes at the most. Backup software is Beyond Compare.

Rubbish. I have several of them I my server and they rarely exceed 30c. Like I said these are wd red helium drives designed for 24/7 server operation!

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

At $150, you should be able to buy a desktop drive that will last for years with 24x7 use. WD Red drives are designed for use in NAS devices and have nice long trouble free lives. At least, the 8TB models do. Have not tried any of the newer 14TB models. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

At $150, you should be able to buy a desktop drive that will last for years with 24x7 use. WD Red drives are designed for use in NAS devices and have nice long trouble free lives. At least, the 8TB models do. Have not tried any of the newer 14TB models. 

Note the difference between WD Red and WD Red Pro. Same goes for Seagate IronWolf and IronWolf Pro.

I use only the Red Pro and IronWolf Pro which have two years longer warranty.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Can anyone give me info on the possible customs duty on the Terminator DAC shipped to an address in the UK or EU?
Many thanks.

Likely only notable one is your local VAT. Customs for electronics is usually only few percents and thus not so much compared to VAT.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Note the difference between WD Red and WD Red Pro. Same goes for Seagate IronWolf and IronWolf Pro.

I use only the Red Pro and IronWolf Pro which have two years longer warranty.

I certainly agree but was trying to stay within the quoted price. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Likely only notable one is your local VAT. Customs for electronics is usually only few percents and thus not so much compared to VAT.

Hi Miska , i know you like the T+A Dac8 DSD , if you will get the chance to hear a Denafrips Dac in DSD can you please report the differrences  between them. 🙂

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker