IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Alex, so why is it that ISO Regen with its ground isolation and noise blocking capabilities isn't stopping these ground loops? I thought that's what it was designed to do?

Because it is not a ground loop he is forming (though if he puts the ISO REGEN switch in the defeat position, his setup--using single-end connection to the AP and having the same computer connected to both the DAC and the analyzer--would surely form one of those too!).  No, he is forming an AC leakage current loop.

That is very different.  It is a significant, widely overlooked issue in audio (and even with measurement equipment), and it very many exists, as exemplified by Amir's graph--which he completely misinterpreted as being the ISO REGEN putting mains noise on the 5VBUS line into the DAC.

John has written extensively about leakage/loops.  He has explained:

• what they are (AC traveling over every sort of connection including DC connections);
  • where they come from (virtually every power supply; linears have leakage though not as much as switchers, and batteries have none);
  • why they form (must be two PSUs--it is the interaction between two or more);
  • and how best to mitigate them (reduce impedance between gear by plugging all system mains power cords into a heavy power stirip with zero filtering elements--use a low interwinding-capacitance isolation transformer for protection of gear)

By the way, one of the hallmarks of our own UltraCap LPS-1, its raison d'etre, is that by being "battery-like" (without the performance shortcomings of batteries), it blocks the path of leakage currents.  Or I should more correctly say that it keeps the device being powered from contributing any PS leakage the system's leakage loops.  EVERY audio system has leakage loops, but the combination of the ISO REGEN and the LPS-1 is what creates a complete "moat" between the computer (with its very high and typically quite nasty and "bursty" leakage) and the DAC.

Remember, galvanic isolation (just one of the functions of the ISO REGEN) is the blockage of DC not AC.

At the airport so I'll skip quoting.  But I just thought I would reiterate that typically the device (DAC, DDC) that the ISO REGEN is feeding does not have an SMPS, so while a leakage loop will still form (more likely just be added to as loops between the DAC and preamp supplies already exist), it won't produce nearly the harmonics that would be seen between two SMPS--as in Amir's test set up with AP analyzer's SMPS.

To quickly address plissken's Q:  I recall that Amir uses a laptop, and while I don't know if he runs it on battery, one can still see spikes from direct computer to DAC connection.  

39 minutes ago, plissken said:

No, the only leakage loop spurie is with YOUR SMPS. The USB bus power and his lab power supply don't exhibit this.

Do I really need to explain this again?  His Audio Precision analyzer uses an SMPS.  So the leakage of it and that of our supplied Mean Well SMPS interact to produce the extra 10-20dB of harmonics (still very low down at -120 -- -130dB)

And AC spurie are still seen with his "lab" supply--because it too has a little leakage and interacts with the PS of his AP.

17 hours ago, plissken said:

The 60 Hz mains AC leakage noise isn't there with the AP in the loop though. Again, Amir and BE17 pointed this out: The AP for all intents and purposes is just another piece of audio gear.  It is what it is and no matter the amount of swinging away you want to do is going to change that fact. 

Been VERY busy since returning from my trip Sunday night (100+ e-mails to reply to just since Thursday?  I think the squabbling here is good for business!). So I am just now catching up with this circus.

Can't believe you guys are still missing the point and still arguing over an optional $10 power supply!  

So let's try this again:

a) It is the combination of two SMPS units (the Mean Well and the one in Amir's AP analyzer) which are creating the extra spikes way down;

b) Most people (in our market) do not run their DACs into preamps/poweramps that use switching power supplies.  For them there would not be the added spikes when using the Mean Well since there would be no direct interaction between it and the downstream component's PSU.

c) Amir's graphs clearly show that even with direct USB connection (no ISO REGEN)--of his desktop PC (with SMPS) to his DAC>>AP--there is still plenty of leakage current noise.  So the particular interaction between his particular PC SMPS and the AP's PS is not terrible, so what?  It will vary greatly from PC to PC.  But the lesson there is that having multiple SMPS in a system is undesirable.  Again, most people don't, and in fact a lot audiophiles use computers/streamers with linear supplies.

d) Even any AC-connected linear supply is going to have some leakage and will interact with the higher leakage from an SMPS.  Take a look at Amir's graph when his "lab" supply is used--what you see remaining is the leakage of his AP interacting with his lab supply.  If he powered the ISO REGEN from a battery (or our LPS-1) even all that would disappear.  

So you guys should stop blaming the optional $10 supply ($15 with the 3-wire AC cord always included).  It takes two supplies to form a leakage loop.  Maybe Amir should ask AP why they don't build a proper, low-leakage LPS into their $25K test equipment!

An for heavens sake, look at all the wall warts that come with so many other products.  I don't see anyone screaming about those (except Amir when he encountered the very same issue during his testing of the microRendu with its optional iFi iPower SMPS wart; he made a mountain out of a molehill then as well). Every system has AC leakage currents running through it.  Deal with it--or use batteries, our UltraCap LPS-1, or a fully integrated, leakage-free unit like Vinnie Rossi's LIO (preamp/DAC/power amp--all on ultracapacitor PS).

16 hours ago, plissken said:

So now additional money beyond the $325 HAS to be spent not to get the problems with the included SMPS. Makes you wonder how much validation, if any, was done.  Why even include a 3rd party SMPS when you have all the design chops in house to build a straightforward linear 5v .5 amp power supply. That would cost $10 in a BOM. 

Ignoring your usual sniping (about "validation"):  See above points a) thru d).  And show me a $10, 1A LPS.  There are plenty of Chinese built LPS boxes available on eBay for $30-60, but none that can be sold worldwide with certifications.  Export is more than half our business and the Mean Well units have certificates valid in about 60 countries.

And again, people are free to add their own supply, use batteries, or buy our ultimate piece, the UltraCap LPS-1.  

16 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Amir measured Behringer DAC while powering ISOR from his lab power supply. All the noise related to Meanwell PS went away, so I'm not sure why measuring with a battery or LPS-1 would prove  anything.

See d) above.

15 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

And what's the most important part? Sighted, unreliable, impossible to duplicate subjective listening?

The hundreds of people who are thrilled with sonic result of inserting the ISO REGEN do not seem to have a problem with their "sighted listening" (isn't that an oxymoron?  and maybe offensive to the blind).

8 hours ago, plissken said:

The AP is a piece of audio gear so the argument can be made it's meant to represent a typical setup.

See b) above.

Alex was asked if he would do his own bias controlled evaluation. He said he would and then he disappeared from WBF immediately after Amir said he would fly out. I would still like to see this take place. 

Two years later and you are still misconstruing the interaction as an invitation to Amir.  It never was.  (Someone asked if I could tell the difference with the USB REGEN in a blind test; I said "Sure, any day of the week--in my system/room with my music."; Amir then said he would hop on a plane.  If you said you were a good cook and could tell how much salt was added to your meal, does that mean I am invited to your house to have you prove it to me?)

And for those who think Amir does not have some sort of agenda against John and me:  I see that just yesterday he continued his passive-agreessive campaign against us (much to the delight of his followers--I could hear Sal1950 squeal all the way across country) by posting my LinkedIn profile and making specious claims about John such as: "John has never used an audio analyzer and is not familiar with the signal processing concept here so makes a bunch of assumptions."

WTF?!

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

It's an objective result that ISO-R with Meanwell PS caused more AC noise in an otherwise very clean DAC output. It's an objective result that replacing Meanwell by a lab LPS removed this noise. Don't know what your interpretation is, but mine is that the inclusion of ISO-R with Meanwell PS can cause additional noise to be injected into the DAC.

See a) and d) at top.  A measurement system becomes part of the system.  Especially when measuring very low level noise.

Speculation about AC leakage loops formed by AP Analyzer is the subjective part in this discussion, provided with no objective evidence to back it up.

Not speculation, just electrical facts.  Amir is the one with the AP analyzer--he should sort it out.  But his agenda and ego might prevent him.

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

Lab power supplies are typically floating which reduce the issues with leakage currents (to the extent that the floating supply is not ground coupled by parasitic capacitance)

Reduced but not eliminated.

5 hours ago, plissken said:

I have to again point out that it's not a manufacturer showing this but someone with some skepticism showing this. But somehow the messenger is getting some backlash over it.

If an auto-body paint guy posts ultra-close-up photos of the factory paint of a Mercedes showing orange-peel--and then rants about it o the internet--should Mercedes spend their time arguing with him?  Orange-peel is a fact of product paint jobs.  Get a hand-rubbed custom job if you don't like it.  But don't tell us the rest of the car is shit because of it.

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Yes, which is exactly why Amir's measurements are useful, at least to me. $655 is almost the price of my DAC, and I can't see spending that much money on a USB clean-up device. $325 was much more within the realm of possible ;) I did consider buying ISO-R, but was holding out to see some measurements. Seems to me that was the right move.

Again, everyone has plenty of less expensive options for power supplies.  And none of Amir's measurements have anything to do with the sonic efficacy of our product.  

Look no further than his test-bench perfect measurements of the $70 Behringer DAC:  If that piece measures so well, then why are audiophiles the world-over not rushing to replace their MSB, T+A, PS Audio, and Chord DACs with it?

Amir says it sounds great to him.  Should we all fall in line and believe?  Well since he also posted that he has had a terrible time figuring out how to operate HQ Player and that he does not hear any differences between its many filter options, I'm going to suggest that he stick to the bench and not dispense advice on the SQ of equipment.

2 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Hey, I just realized what Amir's current measurement setup is great for: quantifying the AC leakage contribution of specific power supplies!

Re: the graphs in post #108 in the ASR thread, the amplitude differences in the bumps at 60Hz & harmonics between the red and yellow plots represent the contribution to AC leakage by the Mean Well SMPS.  By replacing the Mean Well with another power supply to power the ISO REGEN, the measurement can reveal the delta from the yellow baseline for that power supply.

Granted such measurements are looking at all the contributors to AC leakage in the system as a whole (an AC leakage loop requires at least two AC-connected power supplies, among other things), it is the differences in measured amplitudes that are revealing of the AC leakage nature of a power supply, as varying only that power supply in the entire measurement setup represents a control experiment.

Not really Sam.  John has explained (and measured on his bench) that every combination of power supplies will result in a unique spectrum of leakage current loop patterns.  And some supplies have extremely unique leakage signatures (the iFi iPower has a crazy unusual pattern).

And, as a reminder to everyone, AC leakage (traveling over system DC connections and not just ground lines) is not the same as power supply output noise/ripple.

Lastly, someone (scan or jabbr) mentioned that when they have to use an SMPS they prefer a lower-leakage medical version they linked to.  Mean Well makes those too, but the reason we do not offer those instead is that while the better ones have about 1/10th the leakage, they always have C8-style 2-prong AC cordage.   That causes problems for export (I won't get into all the details here), and while there are even some low-leakage "medical" wall-warts with interchangeable plugs, they have some drawbacks and also become pricey.  This is all mostly a non-issue.  The majority (60%) of ISO REGEN buyers choose to either omit the Mean Well SMPS from their order or purchase it as a bundle with the UltraCap LPS-1.

20 minutes ago, esldude said:

So rather than try to discredit the messenger maybe acknowledge the truth and accept it.

Sometimes it is not the message--rather it is the erroneous conclusions and rush to judgement that I disagree with.  Whether by Amir or the rest of the crew there and here, there is an obvious agenda to discredit our device using whatever means--and nasty words--possible.

As someone pointed out, UpTone is not the only firm who has had to put up with this sort of defamation.  I recall iFi spent a few weeks trying in vain to explain things to Amir.

And of course there is the lovely "job" he did on the microRendu--another product well loved by thousands.

In one case we have the ISO Regen and some poor cabling which results in unlistenable distortion from data errors.  Replace it with a $29 USB hub and we get a clean signal. 

For Pete's sake Dennis, I already explained this.

18 hours ago, Superdad said:

It is not a matter of lack of "clean up."  What is happening there (with 23 feet of super thin USB cables strung together?) is a degradation of signal integrity bumping up against the limitations of the Silanna chip and its interface with the hub chip we chose.  Basically those crap cables at unsanctioned length are inducing duty-cycle errors between the Silanna isolator chip and the hub chip.  Amir is inducing data errors, so expect lots of nasties to be heard.

The cheap hub he tried does not provide galvanic isolation, so his comparison is invalid.  Testing our device way outside both USB cable-length spec and expected use case and declaring it inferior is just further evidence of Amir's agenda to defame us.

We could have put a second hub chip--up steam of the isolator--to make the ISO REGEN more tolerant of crap signals.  But it meant another clock and additional circuitry, more problems computer>DAC recognition--and it did not sound good!

1 hour ago, plissken said:

It does improve the output of the Modi 2 where nothing else has done so. The improvement is no insignificant.

The 60Hz noise is another, separate issue, that could be a simple tweak away since the $29 Insignia hub doesn't show this.

Two things could explain that:

1) We don't know when on his bench--in relation to his AP analyzer--Amir plugged in the tiny wall-wart that came with the BestBuy hub.  And since that is a two-prong, non-polarized-plug item, it could be plugged in either way.  With SMPS leakage currents (again--always between two supplies), reversing the polarity of one device can often cancel instead of reinforce the interaction.  And for us 120/0/120V homes, plugging a device into the opposite phase of the line can also change things.

2) About 3 years ago, when choosing a PS to include with the original USB REGEN, I tested about 7 SMPS units (plus one small linear).  We ended up choosing this 2.93 amp Mean Well because these larger units had larger output filter caps--and this one was the clear winner sonically versus the others.  But yeah, it probably has greater leakage from the 'Y' caps across its higher current circuitry.  

------------

My beef with Amir and those of you who buy into and amplify his erroneous conclusions is that it shows how easily measurements and connections can be made to show any product in a poor light.  It is irresponsible at best, and materially harmful at worst.  

For the hundreds (thousands if you include the original USB REGEN) of users who greatly enjoy our products (or the similar ones from the competitors who followed us), there is no doubt about the efficacy and benefits in their music systems.

But just last night I had two people cancel their orders, and when asked why they said it was because of "measurements" they saw.  :mad: