27 minutes ago, feelingears said:

Yes, this is great to see/hear about the effects in your system despite the theoretical "should be's." S/PDIF should be a compromise according to what I posted here or elsewhere, based on a quote from Uptone's Alex Crespi. Not to suggest he is dogmatic, but to your point, maybe S/PDIF is easier to get right than USB (which seems to require extra effort, read: cost, to get right along with the noise stuff, etc.) so despite the compromise of going USB to S/PDIF like the Eitr does, S/PDIF still sounds better in some systems.

For example, Alex has also posted that the Holo Spring DAC apparently has relatively poor clocks and thus if you bypass them using I2S instead of USB input (and add a Singxer SU-1 and it's power supply!) you get much better clocked sound. Ugh. This makes me want to, yes, go back to S/PDIF! (But then those Schiity guys at Schiit seem due to upgrade the Bifrost and/or the Gungnir so I think I will just wait on a new DAC until then and remind myself in the meantime how good we've got it.)

Maybe it’s not even a compromise to go USB to S/PDIF! USB, S/PDIF, I2S and LAN have their own pros and cons, and consider if it (perhaps) can be better to let the data and the digital audio signal to go true and be clocked in more than one type of digital format? No loss in real data and different techniques of reduce jitter and RFI is what am thinking about.

S/PDIF is a good way to listen to music but it's not a solution for higher resolutions or DSD. This is a limitation especially when today we pay for DACs that boast in their DSD and higher PCM capabilities. Something has to happen that either S/PDIF will support it or there will be something else. Currently only USB or I2S can play all formats. It may be that I2S will become standard if it's really better than USB. Today it is hardly available in DACs.

@sbenyo Technically you are absolutely correct, of course.

I do wonder however how many people download higher than 24/192 PCM. Looking at my usual sources (QOBUZ & highresaudio.com) I can't see too many albums available above this resolution. In fact on Qobuz, none at all. DSD is a slightly different story ... there are 'a few' of those on highresaudio.com altho' Qobuz doesn't offer DSD at all, so I'm possibly missing out there ... not sure.

I did try a 24/384 (IIRC) album once and unfortunately my ageing ears couldn't detect any difference versus 24/192 of the same recording. However, your point is a reasonable one for those who do and can !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

3 hours ago, feelingears said:

Yes, this is great to see/hear about the effects in your system despite the theoretical "should be's." S/PDIF should be a compromise according to what I posted here or elsewhere, based on a quote from Uptone's Alex Crespi. Not to suggest he is dogmatic, but to your point, maybe S/PDIF is easier to get right than USB (which seems to require extra effort, read: cost, to get right along with the noise stuff, etc.) so despite the compromise of going USB to S/PDIF like the Eitr does, S/PDIF still sounds better in some systems.

For example, Alex has also posted that the Holo Spring DAC apparently has relatively poor clocks and thus if you bypass them using I2S instead of USB input (and add a Singxer SU-1 and it's power supply!) you get much better clocked sound. Ugh. This makes me want to, yes, go back to S/PDIF! (But then those Schiity guys at Schiit seem due to upgrade the Bifrost and/or the Gungnir so I think I will just wait on a new DAC until then and remind myself in the meantime how good we've got it.)

Thank you for the input @feelingears. I'm not an expert in these fields and can't think of any argument wether it's a compromise or not. But I can tell you fore sure, if this is a compromise, it's the best I've made. Just like you stated in a previous post about musicality, paper vs. reality can differ. In my system it absolutely does. Trust your ears.

Looking forward to your findings on the Eitr. 

On 9/8/2017 at 8:05 AM, Charente said:

@sbenyo As I mentioned earlier, I have a replacement being manufactured for me ...the actual Airlink model I've ordered is the BPS1502 EU. I will certainly be trying out various front-end setups, altho, I'm not expecting direct to USB (Gen 2) on my Gungnir to change my mind about the S/PDIF from the EITR ... but who knows ... we'll see !

@Charente That is what I want to hear about! Gungnir MB USB input straight or cleaned up, versus S/PDIF from EITR or other coax source... 

I've been mulling a few different new DACs in the $1000-$3000 range, reading in between the lines of reviews and triangulating the sound I think I want that differs from my current Audio-GD DAC-19 10th Annie. I'm kind of bargain hunter so I was surprised I passed on a couple good used Yggys, the Audio Alchemy w/ power supply at 35% or so off, used Ayre Codex, and a couple others. The price point I guess I'm comfortable with is $1,300 and that pretty much means Schiit upgrade to current Gungnir (USB Gen 5 and more?). There's Metrum and BorderPatrol at that price but it seems Schiit easily delivers the most bang for the buck.

What I don't want to do is have to buy a bunch of upstream USB stuff after buying the DAC! Anyway, Charente, get busy listening! (wink) :D 

@Lebouwsky I don't know how soon I'll have an Eitr. I almost pulled the trigger just the other day but then life suddenly got a little too busy and unpredictable, and right now there's no clear sign of that changing, unfortunately.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

@Summit @sbenyo Those are the points that make all this "hand-wringing" necessary: Some of us are listening to something higher than PCM/Redbook, some of us not. Some of us are able to use USB directly, others are networked, and so on.

Eitr definitely suits a certain use case, and to the degree one has a choice, that flexibility just adds to the total number of forum posts to read through!

FWIW, my networked system sounds ever so slightly better via coax S/PDIF vs USB (Amanero). I wish I had bothered to try a USB decrapifier after my microRendu before I sold it, but part of that decision was the fact I didn't like LMS as my listening software (and something is required in that configuration). For better or worse, I'm not interested in Roon and it's easier for my wife (and I) to use iTunes lossless via Airport Express. (Another setup that is supposedly crappy but in my tests has won out for what I like to hear in audio, if barely.)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

50 minutes ago, feelingears said:

@Charente That is what I want to hear about! Gungnir MB USB input straight or cleaned up, versus S/PDIF from EITR or other coax source... 

I've been mulling a few different new DACs in the $1000-$3000 range, reading in between the lines of reviews and triangulating the sound I think I want that differs from my current Audio-GD DAC-19 10th Annie. I'm kind of bargain hunter so I was surprised I passed on a couple good used Yggys, the Audio Alchemy w/ power supply at 35% or so off, used Ayre Codex, and a couple others. The price point I guess I'm comfortable with is $1,300 and that pretty much means Schiit upgrade to current Gungnir (USB Gen 5 and more?). There's Metrum and BorderPatrol at that price but it seems Schiit easily delivers the most bang for the buck.

What I don't want to do is have to buy a bunch of upstream USB stuff after buying the DAC! Anyway, Charente, get busy listening! (wink) :D 

@Lebouwsky I don't know how soon I'll have an Eitr. I almost pulled the trigger just the other day but then life suddenly got a little too busy and unpredictable, and right now there's no clear sign of that changing, unfortunately.

I contemplated the Schiit gungnir multibit and came REALLY close to buying it, but decided I wanted DSD & PCM capability and ended up buying the wyred4sound DAC1v2.  Someone else suggested it, and after reading reviews and capabilities, decided to pull the trigger.

Beer,

Did you get a chance to audition one or both of them? I like what W4S is doing sonically on both my optical/coax and USB systems. But yeah, if you want hi res...

9 hours ago, feelingears said:

... What I don't want to do is have to buy a bunch of upstream USB stuff after buying the DAC! Anyway, Charente, get busy listening! (wink) :D 

@feelingears I'm always busy listening !! 9_9 I will try these options once I get the correct BPS (some days away yet unfortunately). However, I still have USB Gen 2 in my Gungnir and my previous comments about that may still apply ... It probably needs someone with a Gen 5 USB to do a more up to date comparison.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

This (rather lengthy) impression about a Balanced Power Supply (BPS) may seem to be off topic but I took the view that it's still on course for deciding whether 'anything' in front of the EITR makes no difference to the sound quality. Mains power, IMO, is in that category and thus this impression tests that assertion... and I used an OP's discretion.

I decided to buy a BPS following an earlier comment by @Abtr and some subsequent research. My main reason was to address mains spuriae that I get through the system, which manifest themselves as occasional clicks on the Gungnir relay (since I've had the EITR) and momentary interruption of sound. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it's a little alarming. Mike Moffat's previous comments about this problem, which I posted earlier in the thread, are applicable. Any SQ benefits would of course be a welcome bonus.

The model I chose was from Airlink Transformers (in the UK) and is a standard EU 2 socket unit (BPS1502EU). Better specified units or even custom builds are possible from Airlink. I connected all my audio gear into one good quality power strip and had another power strip available connected to a socket outside the BPS, for reasons I shall explain later.

These impressions are based upon the first unit Airlink sent me, which it turns out to be the 'industrial' version of the product I had ordered. A replacement is under construction although I understand there is no significant technical difference between the two. I will verify the results on the replacement unit and report any differences if I hear them. So, these impressions are interim but I thought readers might like to read them.

My listening has been initially done using my preferred setup (see sig below), although I will carry out some alternative connections in the next few days to see what differences I can hear there, including swapping the SMPS's to the strip outside the BPS. That will take quite a bit more time to conclude ... not only that but this commentary is already long enough !

Now, at this point I hasten to add that I am no Electrical Engineer and my views are simply based on what I hear. To be honest, I was sceptical about hearing any SQ improvements.

The mains spuriae has certainly reduced ... I am hearing far fewer clicks and interruptions throughout my listening sessions, but unfortunately they are still there. Checking on the Airlink product description, it does say "Removes Power Line Noise" and also "Helps to reduce mains interference" ... so, reduce but not eliminate.

However, I was surprised to hear a difference in the sound. At first, the sound seemed 'boxed-in' and rather unattractive. However, after a day or so of settling in (24/7), this boxiness largely disappeared ... so, it does need some 'warm-up' time IMO.

I wasn't sure at first why the sound was different as I went through my usual listening process with new equipment.  I noted a conclusion at the time that the difference was similar to that experienced when I bought the UpTone LPS-1 for the microRendu. It's been often said that mains noise, as such, is inaudible to many ... one doesn't know it's there until it's gone. That is the case here. As @Abtr said in his original comment ... "I have been listening to noise all the time!"... [and wasn't aware of it].

The soundstage and detail is as I have described before when I first got the EITR. What the BPS helps to deliver is a 'cleanliness' around the instruments & voices ... they sound distinct and distinctive. On Bill Frisell's Small Town, Bill's 'hollow' guitar effect is well defined and his subtle 'bent notes' are more obvious. Thomas Morgan's double-bass sounds wonderfully natural and with good 'heft' even on my HD-650's. My other favourite album for listening to new gear is George Coleman's A Master Speaks ... the 'knarly' edge of Bob Cranshaw's double-bass is alarmingly explicit and a joy ... the edginess of the sax is absolutely spot on ... a sax can have very meaningful textures like no other instrument ... percussion is incisive and the various drums ring out their tones realistically ... the single top-hat cymbal is very clear. These were some of the notes I made. In general, the timbre of the instruments is wonderfully clear.

I listen to a lot of small venue live recordings and the ambience is now palpably alive. Even the clinking of glasses in the audience is quite 'arresting' ! Eva Cassidy's Live at Blues Alley is 'aurally tangible' and a pure delight.... a relaxing lushness to the superb quality of her voice.

What is equally impressive is that I can turn down the volume and the sound remains equally clear ... just quieter. Every bit tid-bit of detail is there... which before I used to turn the volume up to hear.

To conclude ... A Balanced Power Supply does make an audible difference. I'll go so far as to say it should be a mandatory purchase before buying anything else ... mains isn't just mains. I certainly wish I had bought a BPS earlier in my audiophile career.

As an aside, I was using some newly acquired GE 5670W 5* tubes (with adapters) in the Mjolnir 2 and I must give a positive shout to these ... they are simply superb and not expensive. Best tubes for me to date.

@Charente, a BPS is very good at 'reducing' the noise created by audio components, mainly due to the cancellation techniques of the design. 

Effective treatment of incoming normal mode noise however a BPS struggles with. Quite a few of us have used an isolation transformer ahead of the BPS and it works in four ways. 

- Reduces common mode noise (hot and cold to ground) by 140dB

- Reduces normal mode noise 20-60db depending on the construction of the Transformer 

- Moderates the high current pulses from the primary of the BPS. What happens is the cancellation of the noise that a BPS provides has to go somewhere, and it ends up on the primary of the BPS transformer.  This noise creates current lumps and is not that friendly. To overcome this problem,  the isolation transformer smooths the current lumps. 

- Is very resistant to mains surges and effectively blocks them.

The best isolation transformers for this specific audio use are no longer made, but are still available on the used market.

Eaton manufacture a Power Suppress 100, but only for 60Hz systems.  The search is on for either Topaz, Elgar or xentec brands which work for 50Hz or 60Hz systems. The best isolation transformers have a very low capacitance value which blocks a higher frequencies noise. Typically these are stated at 0.0005pf or rarely 0.0001pf. Nothing much gets through that.  

Don't use any power distributors with suppression devices, they aggravate leaks - poison. Plain Jane types are just fine. The isolation transformer does the rest.

More details are in the Uptone section at CA, with now a 37 page topic dealing with isolation transformers. These items are not off the shelf products and need to be modified by professional electrical people. It's a bit of a challenge at times, but the sonic results speak for themselves. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@One and a half Thank-you for your additional comments ... interesting and useful to know ! I suspect any modifications are beyond my pay-grade ! O.o ... but I will enquire with Airlink as they are happy to consider custom solutions ... although I suspect it may not be cheap.  I'll also look at the isolation transformer thread you mention .. I might learn something.

Hey all - good discussion here, and active, so I thought I would run something by you that I've been swimming with for a few weeks.

I recently had my Yggy upgraded to gen 5 USB.  I have been planning on moving from my current optimized audio PC to either an Ultrarendu or Signature Rendu SE.  Now that I'm hearing all the great reports on the Eitr / Gen 5, I'm really hazy on where the line is between 'audible difference' and 'unnecessary expenditure'.  I guess it's a pretty good problem to have, really...  

I'm now running a Roon server on my network, so I only need an 'endpoint'.  To be clear, here are my three options, basically:

1.  Current PC (w/ linear power, audiophile Optimizer, JPlay, win server 2012, SSD) - $0

2.  Ultrarendu + CI LPS - $1200

3.  Signature Rendu SE - $3000

To be clear, I'm not made of money, but for a while I was pretty set on going for the long haul on just saving for a SrSE... But now, I'm thinking, maybe that would sound identical to the Ultrarendu with a decent LPS when feeding the Eitr / Gen 5... Which would mean I would be throwing considerable money to the wind.  

On the other hand, I'm assuming that Ultrarendu would sound slightly better than my current audio PC, but maybe not!

So, I don't know... I thought I would open my thoughts to you guys to see what you think.  

With respect to Sonore, who I greatly respect, I just want to make clear that I'm not calling into question the advantages of the SrSE over the uR in general, as I'm sure the two products are tremendous in their own space... But, rather, this is a question pertaining to their performance with the Eitr / Gen 5 in particular.

I'll finish with this thought - one of the biggest marked changes between these devices are the quality of their power supplies... Between a decent LPS and an extraordinary LPS, is the only performance difference due to what noise ends up coming through the USB signal?  And, if so, is this rendered a moot point because of the excellent isolation of the Eitr / Gen 5?  

These are the questions that are running circles in my mind, and since they are so specific to these particular, relatively new devices, I'm finding no answers through extensive searching.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

2 hours ago, tea_hous said:

Hey all - good discussion here, and active, so I thought I would run something by you that I've been swimming with for a few weeks.

I recently had my Yggy upgraded to gen 5 USB.  I have been planning on moving from my current optimized audio PC to either an Ultrarendu or Signature Rendu SE.  Now that I'm hearing all the great reports on the Eitr / Gen 5, I'm really hazy on where the line is between 'audible difference' and 'unnecessary expenditure'.  I guess it's a pretty good problem to have, really...  

<...snip..>

I'll finish with this thought - one of the biggest marked changes between these devices are the quality of their power supplies... Between a decent LPS and an extraordinary LPS, is the only performance difference due to what noise ends up coming through the USB signal?  And, if so, is this rendered a moot point because of the excellent isolation of the Eitr / Gen 5?  

These are the questions that are running circles in my mind, and since they are so specific to these particular, relatively new devices, I'm finding no answers through extensive searching.

Oh, welcome to the hobby. Your wallet and S.O. won't thank you, as someone here says. Even without knowing your output (amp/speakers? 'phones?) you're clearly into the land of diminishing returns. "I feel your pain!"

More seriously, IMO you have to "know" if you can hear the differences or not, or if your system can resolve them or not, and if it's worth the money to you or not (will you regret the spend afterwards)? I have spent a little over $1000 on headphones and related 'phone stuff. I kinda regret it all honestly, and in fact sold a $650 pair I really liked (Grado GH-1). I realized I'm a speaker guy. I passed on three DACs over $2K on sale/used recently despite really, really wanting to pull the trigger. This tells me I don't want to spend more than $1300 for a DAC. 

Oh wait, you didn't ask me to psychoanalyze... Sorry. But really, only you can know if you like the money spent on the marginal gain and I'll leave you with this: Think about what exactly are you trying to improve and see if your changes make that improvement. IMO, you should be able to pick at least three to five pieces of music that a system "should" be able to make you get excited about hearing multiple times, as if it's the best thing you've heard ever (or close to it)... Then audition parts to get you there. This includes cables (power, interconnect, DC power, etc.) and if you don't believe it, fine. "Love the one you're with." And have fun!

13 hours ago, Charente said:

@One and a half Thank-you for your additional comments ... interesting and useful to know ! I suspect any modifications are beyond my pay-grade ! O.o ... but I will enquire with Airlink as they are happy to consider custom solutions ... although I suspect it may not be cheap.  I'll also look at the isolation transformer thread you mention .. I might learn something.

Appreciated. Airlink are prepared to be responsive, maybe with enough interest, an isolation transformer for audiophiles may be offered as a standard product line.

These days everyone uses a UPS, but they are so AC unfriendly, create noise a lot worse than any PC, and their output is not much better than the wall but are cheaper and lighter than an auto transformer, but not as quiet!

Just to follow up on an earlier comment I made about using Belden 1694A as a coaxial cable between my Eitr and Denafrips Ares DAC, I bought a 1.5m length of 1694A terminated with Canare RCAs. 

After about a week of solid burn-in, I prefer it to the Audioquest digital coaxial cable I was using.   The 1694A sounds more dynamic and has better bass.  The Audioquest sounds a tad clearer and has a wider soundstage.  For a value for money coaxial cable that will match well with the Eitr, I'd recommend the Belden.

29 minutes ago, EMMM said:

Just to follow up on an earlier comment I made about using Belden 1694A as a coaxial cable between my Eitr and Denafrips Ares DAC, I bought a 1.5m length of 1694A terminated with Canare RCAs. 

After about a week of solid burn-in, I prefer it to the Audioquest digital coaxial cable I was using.   The 1694A sounds more dynamic and has better bass.  The Audioquest sounds a tad clearer and has a wider soundstage.  For a value for money coaxial cable that will match well with the Eitr, I'd recommend the Belden.

Interesting. Which model Audioquest coax were you using?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

8 hours ago, tea_hous said:

I'm now running a Roon server on my network, so I only need an 'endpoint'.  To be clear, here are my three options, basically:

1.  Current PC (w/ linear power, audiophile Optimizer, JPlay, win server 2012, SSD) - $0

2.  Ultrarendu + CI LPS - $1200

3.  Signature Rendu SE - $3000

To be clear, I'm not made of money, but for a while I was pretty set on going for the long haul on just saving for a SrSE... But now, I'm thinking, maybe that would sound identical to the Ultrarendu with a decent LPS when feeding the Eitr / Gen 5... Which would mean I would be throwing considerable money to the wind.  

On the other hand, I'm assuming that Ultrarendu would sound slightly better than my current audio PC, but maybe not!

So, I don't know... I thought I would open my thoughts to you guys to see what you think.  

With respect to Sonore, who I greatly respect, I just want to make clear that I'm not calling into question the advantages of the SrSE over the uR in general, as I'm sure the two products are tremendous in their own space... But, rather, this is a question pertaining to their performance with the Eitr / Gen 5 in particular.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

The point clearly, emphatically stated by that guy Torq over at SBAF is that either of your Sonore options would be a waste of money.  Nothing in front of Eitr matters - is the hypothesis.  He's done all the testing to 'prove' it.....many of us are trying to figure out if he's right, or just a Schiit fan boy.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

16 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Interesting. Which model Audioquest coax were you using?

I wish I could remember the model name. I'm afraid the wordings on the cable have since faded with the passage of time. All I can remember is that I bought it for less than $100 more than 10 years ago. 

11 hours ago, feelingears said:

Oh, welcome to the hobby. Your wallet and S.O. won't thank you, as someone here says... "Love the one you're with." And have fun!

Thanks so much for the well thought message, much appreciated... And I agree on all points.  After 12 years in this hobby, I still have to mentally pinch myself to remember how subjective much of it is, while other aspects are more cut and dry, objective science.

5 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

The point clearly, emphatically stated by that guy Torq over at SBAF is that either of your Sonore options would be a waste of money.  Nothing in front of Eitr matters - is the hypothesis.  He's done all the testing to 'prove' it.....many of us are trying to figure out if he's right, or just a Schiit fan boy.

Cool, thanks.  I caught that this was the general consensus, which is pretty amazing.  There was a guy earlier who stated he could hear a slight difference between his MBP and mR, but it sounded like it was very subtle, and not worth the cost of entry.

It seems like this is such a game changer / disrupter that I'm having trouble letting go of the idea that we need heavily tweaked and expensive digital front ends... All the work and research from past years has left deep tracks.

2 hours ago, tea_hous said:

It seems like this is such a game changer / disrupter that I'm having trouble letting go of the idea that we need heavily tweaked and expensive digital front ends... All the work and research from past years has left deep tracks.

Have you red all the impressions of the Eitr users in this topic? To most of them (including myself) it's a worthy upgrade, but no end game solution for everything before the Eitr. The regen straight in the Eitr made quite an improvement in my system. In fact I'll soon upgrade the power supplies of the sms200 and the regen and ofcourse will report back in this topic.

@tea_hous Welcome ! I see you are a Roon user and the key point I thought you made earlier was that you were looking for an alternative endpoint for that.

There is much positive (even overwhelming) support on CA for xRendu's fullfilling that role ... and that would meet your primary need ... but they additionally provide a clean(ed) signal that I believe, from what I've heard, would match your upgraded Ygdrassil Gen 5 very well ... a win-win perhaps.

It is my personal experience that even the lower priced microRendu (or indeed a SMS-200) does provide worthwhile benefits in front of the Gen 5 input of the EITR, despite Torq's own opinion. It may be that you don't need an EITR (as an additional device) in your case at all with the Ygdrassil, although as @Lebouwsky mentioned some of us have found the sound preferable from S/PDIF that the EITR provides.

I couldn't resist posting this ... a new (to me) network player/server, with a full array of outputs, Roon support, major streaming services and internet radio services ...

nativ-vita-lecteur-reseau-tactile-hifi-d

and a matching DAC ...

nativ-wave-dac-symetrique-2x-pcm1792a-24

https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

1 hour ago, Charente said:

I couldn't resist posting this ... a new (to me) network player/server, with a full array of outputs, Roon support, major streaming services and internet radio services ...

nativ-vita-lecteur-reseau-tactile-hifi-d

and a matching DAC ...

nativ-wave-dac-symetrique-2x-pcm1792a-24

https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

It's beautiful..the timber, not often seen with metallic electronics.. the price is surprisingly very tempting. The outboard power supply is a necessity, at least it is away from the processors in the screen. Man it must have some good shielding. The spaghetti should be out of sight (mostly). Very nice indeed.

@One and a half I agree ... would love to get my hands on one ! I'm wondering if the cabling might be a tight squeeze, depending on how stiff the cables are. IOS & Android remote apps as well.