@Lebouwsky Great write up ... soundstage depth and quality was one of my personal big gains, so a little surprised by your own findings ... I listen to quite a few live recordings and 'depth' and 'ambience' detail was one of the key positives for me. I guess it's possible that our different setup may account for that ... not sure. Agree on everything else, particularly the less 'flabby' bass and (absolutely) giving it time to settle down. Let us know how the Regen/EITR works ... might sort out that depth issue. 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

34 minutes ago, Charente said:

@cfisher That is strange ... I'm listening to Mark Knopfler's TRACKER in 24/96 as I write this. There must be something wrong with the unit, I suspect. :(

EDIT: How are you playing your music ?

I'm playing on Roon. Oddly, HQPlayer won't play at all with the microrendu>eitr combo

@cfisher So, without the EITR it all plays OK via mR ? I have to admit to not knowing enough about either Roon or HQPlayer ... perhaps someone can chip in ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

The Balanced Power Supply from AirLink Transformers has arrived ... it is a VERY heavy thing indeed ! :$ ... and not very pretty but it will be sitting out of the way and out of sight. I'll connect it all up and see what this can do to cancel out power spuriae that I'm getting. It should also give some sonic benefits as well.

3 hours ago, Charente said:

The Balanced Power Supply from AirLink Transformers has arrived ... it is a VERY heavy thing indeed ! :$ ... and not very pretty but it will be sitting out of the way and out of sight. I'll connect it all up and see what this can do to cancel out power spuriae that I'm getting. It should also give some sonic benefits as well.

Airlink sent me the wrong unit! So they offered a collect and replace somewhere next week. Very interested in your experience with the BPS1502. :)

The secund 24 hour burn in did improve things a little bit more, but not as dramatic as the 1st 24, which was a night and day difference. I expect it to settle down before the weekend, so I can experiment with the regen in this chain.

Ofcourse I could't resist listening when I got home from work. This is a bargain in hifi world. The improvement from this little gem is just as big as my recent dac upgrade or the speaker upgrade I did this spring. It feels like a thin curtain has bin removed and the fridge stoped making this anoying sound. The presentation is so clear and.... wel.... comfortabele and accurate at the same time. 

If you're not interested in DSD, get an Eitr, you won't be sorry. 

@Abtr Oh, that's a pity ... I have to admit my AirLink unit looks different from the photo on their website, but the label indicates it's the correct model. I'll check with AirLink.  

I've had an initial listen (hard to resist really) and I can tell I'm going to need some time with this ... my immediate view is that it sounds 'different' ... best way I can put at at the moment ... I need to get my head around what I'm really hearing. Nothing bad, just not what I was expecting.

@Lebouwsky I absolutely agree that 'clarity' is the main benefit ... as I recall in my own first impression. 9_9 ... and it's not worn off ... I still notice it as I play more of my library.

16 minutes ago, Charente said:

@Abtr Oh, that's a pity ... I have to admit my AirLink unit looks different from the photo on their website, but the label indicates it's the correct model. I'll check with AirLink.  

I've had an initial listen (hard to resist really) and I can tell I'm going to need some time with this ... my immediate view is that it sounds 'different' ... best way I can put at at the moment ... I need to get my head around what I'm really hearing. Nothing bad, just not what I was expecting.

I received an Airlink unit that was built into one of their industrial casings instead of in the flat case shown on their website. Airlink confirmed that it was the wrong unit and offered to replace it. The label on mine also indicates the correct model: BPS 1502 EU..

@Abtr Thank-you ... Yes, my case looks very 'industrial' as well... seems they may have made the same mistake with me as well.

@Abtr AirLink Transformers have confirmed I also have the wrong Balanced Power Supply ... Mike Novak has been very helpful and a courier will deliver a new unit and pick up the old one, as soon as they have manufactured the correct product. I guess we both have to wait a while. The 'wrong' unit did sound promising tho' !

EDIT: He did mention to me that the two sockets out are NOT independent ... this is a feature of their more expensive units. If it had been independent, I did think about plugging in the SMPS's in that.

1 hour ago, Charente said:

@Abtr AirLink Transformers have confirmed I also have the wrong Balanced Power Supply ... Mike Novak has been very helpful and a courier will deliver a new unit and pick up the old one, as soon as they have manufactured the correct product. I guess we both have to wait a while. The 'wrong' unit did sound promising tho' !

EDIT: He did mention to me that the two sockets out are NOT independent ... this is a feature of their more expensive units. If it had been independent, I did think about plugging in the SMPS's in that.

Good to hear you'll get a replacement. :) Maybe it's just the BPS1502 unit in another casing and maybe it isn't. Airlink said it is the 'wrong' unit..

And 'independent' outlets are filtered. AC filters tend to increase AC impedance which may not be a good thing. It may be better to *not* plug a particularly noisy power supply into the isolation transformer together with sensitive analogue audio equipment..

The weekend started earlier this week, so last night I had some time to plug in the uptone regen in the Eitr. My goal was to see if Schiit's statement (nothing before the Eitr matters) is true. Long story short: it does matter in my setup.

The "old" set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Uptone regen (Teradak lps) - hard usb adapter - amr dp777dac

The major improved set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Eitr - Supra trico 75ohm - Amr dp777 dac. (See my previous posts for listening impressions)

New test set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Uptone regen - usb hard adapter -  Schiit Eitr - Supra trico 75ohm - Amr dp777 dac.

Right from the moment I pressed play I could notice a shift in sound. The question was if it was an improvement, which takes more time. I did the listening alone at first, later with my neighbour friend and this morning alone again. Like in my previous posts stated, the Eitr makes it all effortless, distortion free with great seperation of instruments and a dry and controlled bass.  

With the regen extra in line all these improvements stayed, but with more sparkle and excitement. It's a small improvement, but small thinks can lead to great joy, which it did. It was most noticable in the upper mids, highs and micro detail. It widened the sound stage even more and give it a little bit more depth, one of the regions my system does not shine yet.

The regen is defenitely a keeper. Ofcourse the improvement is good, but I had hoped the Eitr would spare me 2 devices (Teradak lps and regen). By selling these I would fund a better lps. But instead I'm left with yet another box. The plan is to invest in a Sotm sps500 with a Y - DC cable, in order to simplify my setup and improve sound more.

I have to say that I'm really happy with my stereo system, it plays at a level I had never dared hoping for. And it's all because of source investments (digital domain untill pre-amp). If you'd tell my this in the cd player decade, I'd probably just nod politely. It's a great hobby in a wonderfull time at a great platform.

One last thing, I think it's time audiophiles would take spdif serious again. I can imagine a Sotm sms300 (?!?) with a coax output instead of usb. My dac is made by Abbingdon music research, which is the mother company of IFI. Their dacs take spdif very seriously. And this was the company that in the beginning of this millenium introduced the first cd player with usb input. The spdif input of my dac has a tube buffer in it, which handles square waves better AMR says. It might be my dac shines better in the spdif region instead of the usb. My point is that the improvement with the Eitr in the chain, can be brought by the Eitr, or the spdif input of my dac, or a combination of both. Who will tell.

Have a great weekend all. Cheers

1 hour ago, Lebouwsky said:

The weekend started earlier this week, so last night I had some time to plug in the uptone regen in the Eitr. My goal was to see if Schiit's statement (nothing before the Eitr matters) is true. Long story short: it does matter in my setup.

The "old" set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Uptone regen (Teradak lps) - hard usb adapter - amr dp777dac

The major improved set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Eitr - Supra trico 75ohm - Amr dp777 dac. (See my previous posts for listening impressions)

New test set up:

w10 minimserver - sms200 (Teradak lps) - Supra usb - Uptone regen - usb hard adapter -  Schiit Eitr - Supra trico 75ohm - Amr dp777 dac.

Right from the moment I pressed play I could notice a shift in sound. The question was if it was an improvement, which takes more time. I did the listening alone at first, later with my neighbour friend and this morning alone again. Like in my previous posts stated, the Eitr makes it all effortless, distortion free with great seperation of instruments and a dry and controlled bass.  

With the regen extra in line all these improvements stayed, but with more sparkle and excitement. It's a small improvement, but small thinks can lead to great joy, which it did. It was most noticable in the upper mids, highs and micro detail. It widened the sound stage even more and give it a little bit more depth, one of the regions my system does not shine yet.

The regen is defenitely a keeper. Ofcourse the improvement is good, but I had hoped the Eitr would spare me 2 devices (Teradak lps and regen). By selling these I would fund a better lps. But instead I'm left with yet another box. The plan is to invest in a Sotm sps500 with a Y - DC cable, in order to simplify my setup and improve sound more.

I have to say that I'm really happy with my stereo system, it plays at a level I had never dared hoping for. And it's all because of source investments (digital domain untill pre-amp). If you'd tell my this in the cd player decade, I'd probably just nod politely. It's a great hobby in a wonderfull time at a great platform.

One last thing, I think it's time audiophiles would take spdif serious again. I can imagine a Sotm sms300 (?!?) with a coax output instead of usb. My dac is made by Abbingdon music research, which is the mother company of IFI. Their dacs take spdif very seriously. And this was the company that in the beginning of this millenium introduced the first cd player with usb input. The spdif input of my dac has a tube buffer in it, which handles square waves better AMR says. It might be my dac shines better in the spdif region instead of the usb. My point is that the improvement with the Eitr in the chain, can be brought by the Eitr, or the spdif input of my dac, or a combination of both. Who will tell.

Have a great weekend all. Cheers

I was waiting to see what your impressions were with the Regen in the chain feeding the Eitr.  Looks like I'm not alone in hearing some improvement :-)

If I may make a suggestion, try a USPCB if you can.  To me, it is much better than the hard adaptor that is supplied with the Regen and for $35, it's fantastic value for money.

2 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Does the Eitr or the regen's input require vbus power?

The ISO REGEN does require bus power, but the original amber REGEN does not.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Excellent impressions @Lebouwsky ... and I totally agree with @EMMM about the USPCB. I believe VortexBox UK stock these ... might be easier for you. It took a while to reach me from the US. The EITR does require a few milliamps vbus power during its 'handshaking', I believe. I tried it without and it disconnected.

It would be so interesting to hear about the BPS1500eu experience.

If this removes the need for anything else on the USB chain, it's can be a winner.

Regarding the Etir, as far as I know it has only SPDIF out which means it usually limited for both high PCM (above 192kHz) or DSD above 64. This is still a limitation for DAC that can do higher resolutions.

@sbenyo As I mentioned earlier, I have a replacement being manufactured for me ...the actual Airlink model I've ordered is the BPS1502 EU. I will certainly be trying out various front-end setups, altho, I'm not expecting direct to USB (Gen 2) on my Gungnir to change my mind about the S/PDIF from the EITR ... but who knows ... we'll see !

Jason Stoddard at Schiit mentioned yesterday that there are 3 new products being launched next couple of weeks ... it got me thinking ... what would be great is a higher spec EITR, with more output types ... like the Singxer SU-1 but cheaper and a top-notch power supply.

27 minutes ago, Charente said:

Jason Stoddard at Schiit mentioned yesterday that there are 3 new products being launched next couple of weeks ... it got me thinking ... what would be great is a higher spec EITR, with more output types ... like the Singxer SU-1 but cheaper and a top-notch power supply.

That would be great and a bummer at the same time!

One more thing I forgot to mention about the Eitr is it's ability to completely remove the sharp "sss" in voices and high heads in my system. It makes the less well recorded albums much more enjoyable.

A great album is 'there's no leaving now' from 'the tallest man on earth'. In fact he's really short, I've seen him perform live in a very beautiful theatre. Anyone who knows this album (if you don't, I recommand it highly if you like singer songwriter with a rougher edge), knows this album can be hard to listen to because of the over energyzed high frequencies. I always thought it was a bad recorded album. With the EItr in the chain the album is a joy to listen to.

Ofcourse this is in my system, but I'm curious if other owners noticed the same.

@Lebouwsky I'll put it on my list to try on my setup !

17 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

The spdif input of my dac has a tube buffer in it, which handles square waves better AMR says. It might be my dac shines better in the spdif region instead of the usb. My point is that the improvement with the Eitr in the chain, can be brought by the Eitr, or the spdif input of my dac, or a combination of both. Who will tell.

Yes, this is great to see/hear about the effects in your system despite the theoretical "should be's." S/PDIF should be a compromise according to what I posted here or elsewhere, based on a quote from Uptone's Alex Crespi. Not to suggest he is dogmatic, but to your point, maybe S/PDIF is easier to get right than USB (which seems to require extra effort, read: cost, to get right along with the noise stuff, etc.) so despite the compromise of going USB to S/PDIF like the Eitr does, S/PDIF still sounds better in some systems.

For example, Alex has also posted that the Holo Spring DAC apparently has relatively poor clocks and thus if you bypass them using I2S instead of USB input (and add a Singxer SU-1 and it's power supply!) you get much better clocked sound. Ugh. This makes me want to, yes, go back to S/PDIF! (But then those Schiity guys at Schiit seem due to upgrade the Bifrost and/or the Gungnir so I think I will just wait on a new DAC until then and remind myself in the meantime how good we've got it.)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.