On ‎11‎-‎9‎-‎2017 at 11:36 AM, Charente said:

This (rather lengthy) impression about a Balanced Power Supply (BPS) may seem to be off topic but I took the view that it's still on course for deciding whether 'anything' in front of the EITR makes no difference to the sound quality. Mains power, IMO, is in that category and thus this impression tests that assertion... and I used an OP's discretion.

I decided to buy a BPS following an earlier comment by @Abtr and some subsequent research. My main reason was to address mains spuriae that I get through the system, which manifest themselves as occasional clicks on the Gungnir relay (since I've had the EITR) and momentary interruption of sound. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it's a little alarming. Mike Moffat's previous comments about this problem, which I posted earlier in the thread, are applicable. Any SQ benefits would of course be a welcome bonus.

The model I chose was from Airlink Transformers (in the UK) and is a standard EU 2 socket unit (BPS1502EU). Better specified units or even custom builds are possible from Airlink. I connected all my audio gear into one good quality power strip and had another power strip available connected to a socket outside the BPS, for reasons I shall explain later.

These impressions are based upon the first unit Airlink sent me, which it turns out to be the 'industrial' version of the product I had ordered. A replacement is under construction although I understand there is no significant technical difference between the two. I will verify the results on the replacement unit and report any differences if I hear them. So, these impressions are interim but I thought readers might like to read them.

My listening has been initially done using my preferred setup (see sig below), although I will carry out some alternative connections in the next few days to see what differences I can hear there, including swapping the SMPS's to the strip outside the BPS. That will take quite a bit more time to conclude ... not only that but this commentary is already long enough !

Now, at this point I hasten to add that I am no Electrical Engineer and my views are simply based on what I hear. To be honest, I was sceptical about hearing any SQ improvements.

The mains spuriae has certainly reduced ... I am hearing far fewer clicks and interruptions throughout my listening sessions, but unfortunately they are still there. Checking on the Airlink product description, it does say "Removes Power Line Noise" and also "Helps to reduce mains interference" ... so, reduce but not eliminate.

However, I was surprised to hear a difference in the sound. At first, the sound seemed 'boxed-in' and rather unattractive. However, after a day or so of settling in (24/7), this boxiness largely disappeared ... so, it does need some 'warm-up' time IMO.

I wasn't sure at first why the sound was different as I went through my usual listening process with new equipment.  I noted a conclusion at the time that the difference was similar to that experienced when I bought the UpTone LPS-1 for the microRendu. It's been often said that mains noise, as such, is inaudible to many ... one doesn't know it's there until it's gone. That is the case here. As @Abtr said in his original comment ... "I have been listening to noise all the time!"... [and wasn't aware of it].

The soundstage and detail is as I have described before when I first got the EITR. What the BPS helps to deliver is a 'cleanliness' around the instruments & voices ... they sound distinct and distinctive. On Bill Frisell's Small Town, Bill's 'hollow' guitar effect is well defined and his subtle 'bent notes' are more obvious. Thomas Morgan's double-bass sounds wonderfully natural and with good 'heft' even on my HD-650's. My other favourite album for listening to new gear is George Coleman's A Master Speaks ... the 'knarly' edge of Bob Cranshaw's double-bass is alarmingly explicit and a joy ... the edginess of the sax is absolutely spot on ... a sax can have very meaningful textures like no other instrument ... percussion is incisive and the various drums ring out their tones realistically ... the single top-hat cymbal is very clear. These were some of the notes I made. In general, the timbre of the instruments is wonderfully clear.

I listen to a lot of small venue live recordings and the ambience is now palpably alive. Even the clinking of glasses in the audience is quite 'arresting' ! Eva Cassidy's Live at Blues Alley is 'aurally tangible' and a pure delight.... a relaxing lushness to the superb quality of her voice.

What is equally impressive is that I can turn down the volume and the sound remains equally clear ... just quieter. Every bit tid-bit of detail is there... which before I used to turn the volume up to hear.

To conclude ... A Balanced Power Supply does make an audible difference. I'll go so far as to say it should be a mandatory purchase before buying anything else ... mains isn't just mains. I certainly wish I had bought a BPS earlier in my audiophile career.

As an aside, I was using some newly acquired GE 5670W 5* tubes (with adapters) in the Mjolnir 2 and I must give a positive shout to these ... they are simply superb and not expensive. Best tubes for me to date.

Good review. You describe almost exactly my own experience with balanced mains power.

I received my replacement Airlink BPS1502EU, this time in the correct compact casing and without as much as a scratch on it. Nice. :) As far as I can measure, mains noise reduction is on par with my Amplimo and so is the sound. I do not notice any sound differences. I may do some A/B-ing..

BTW, I disconnected the secondary ground from mains Earth where it is bolted to the chassis, as shown at the bottom right in the picture below. This improves sound even further  in my system. Note that if you 'float' the secondary ground this way, you should install a 2 pole RCD at the secondary output for safety. Also, make sure mains phase is connected to the brown wire and neutral to the blue wire at the connector at the bottom left..

BPS1502EU.JPG

@Abtr, Good to hear positive impressions on the BPS1500EU. I am also interested to know if I should get one:

1. Is it humming or emitting any audiable noise that may need to put if far away?
  2. Does it improve the SQ alone or does it still need EITR so similar product?
  3. Did you connect all system components to it (AMP, PRE, DAC, etc.)?

It will be good to know how much you recommend it and how much SQ improved without adding anything else to it. I wonder if this is a better investment than any of the USB components like EITR or ISO REGEN or similar products.

@sbenyo Appreciate your questions are directed at @Abtr but perhaps my own experiences may help as well ...

1. I cannot hear any hum from the BPS5102EU (1.5 KVA) Airlink model. Perhaps the higher rated models 'may' have some hum, but I'm not sure.

2. This BPS is not dependent on any particular device for delivering the benefits. Apologies if my impressions created that view.

3. Yes, I have connected all my audio equipment into the same strip. The strip is 'simple' but good quality with no filters, conditioners or suppressors. 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

@Abtr Thank-you ... good to know. I'm really not sure if I will/can venture in doing the modification you suggest, although it does sound like an enticing idea ! ... perhaps if you are in the neighbourhood ? However, it is interesting to note what the BPS looks like inside the case from your photo. What is your impression of the build quality ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Thanks for the info on BPS!  Sounds like it does make a noticeable difference.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the SQ improvements? I mean what are you experiencing better than before (things like: clarity, sound stage, dynamics, highs, lows, transparency, separation, etc.)

Did you had a chance to compare it to anything else like EITR, ISO REGEN, Singxer, etc.?

@sbenyo I outlined much of the SQ experience in my review/impression a page or so ago ...

In a nutshell, the sound characteristics are as I had them before but a BPS provides to me a much 'cleaner' presentation of the instruments. It gives the impression of more detail because of this cleanliness. The timbral quality of the instruments, in particular, is heightened ... by that I mean the essence of the sound of the instrument (or voice) is portrayed more vividly. To me, this is probably the most audible improvement. On my preferred genre of music (jazz) the sound of instruments like the double bass and sax comes through in an explicit and satisfying way. The ambient decay around the instruments is more audible and realistic. 

Describing real improvements as a result of mains noise reduction is actually difficult to do. As I said before, one doesn't realise one is listening to mains noise, until it's gone. It's not subtle though ... to me anyway .. it is immediately apparent.

58 minutes ago, Charente said:

@Abtr Thank-you ... good to know. I'm really not sure if I will/can venture in doing the modification you suggest, although it does sound like an enticing idea ! ... perhaps if you are in the neighbourhood ? However, it is interesting to note what the BPS looks like inside the case from your photo. What is your impression of the build quality ?

Well, It's really simple and quite safe to try. The RCD is just for a more permanent disconnection from mains safety ground.. ;) I think the build quality of this BPS1502EU is very good..

The new Schiit Gadget (a 'music processor', pre-announced by Mike Moffat) may provide another reason to have an EITR. The Gadget will have USB Gen2 and S/PDIF inputs with just a S/PDIF output. Mike's chain recommendation for "The quality oriented user ..." is EITR > Gadget > DAC. 

EDIT: The S/PDIF connections will be coax.

27 minutes ago, Charente said:

The new Schiit Gadget (a 'music processor', pre-announced by Mike Moffat) may provide another reason to have an EITR. The Gadget will have USB Gen2 and S/PDIF inputs with just a S/PDIF output. Mike's chain recommendation for "The quality oriented user ..." is EITR > Gadget > DAC. 

EDIT: The S/PDIF connections will be coax.

Is thay gadget the new ADC, or something else?

@George Hincapie Essentially it's a device that varies the pitch (only) of the music, re-tuning it on primary note 'C' at 256Hz rather than 'A' which could be anywhere from 430Hz to 446Hz. The assertion is that tuning against C3 is the correct way. To quote Mike Moffat ... "The sensations it produces are as profound as and analogous to many of the positive changes proper to tube amps’ comfort, or hi-def files’ clarities for lack of adequate descriptors."

I believe it's being officially launched in the next few days.

Oh no!  Another new device for SQ. My chain is becoming so long I can almost put it in the next room ;)

I wish there was something definite that we could just use and enjoy the music.

For now it an endless chase the does not seem to end. The sad thing is that all these improvements which some do matter are going to cost more than the system itself. 

@sbenyo The cynic in me might suggest that Schiit are trying to persuade us to get rid of any devices in front of the EITR just so they can add devices after it !! :D

Without setting eyes on this...um....'gadget', this is getting silly.  2 weeks ago, the Eitr was the perfect solution.  Just connect it to your DAC with a cheap coax and off you go.  

A funny thing happened yesterday.  I happened to be in my local audio dealer (the wonderful Audio Connection in NJ), and they let me try out an AQ Carbon coax to replace my BJC.  As we all know, the BJC has a great reputation as is meant to be all the coax you'll ever need.  All for $25.  

Well, the Carbon does cost 7X more, and I know it's only been one evening, but holy crap does it sound better.  I shall give it a week to confirm.  First impressions?  Throw the 'any coax works the same' theory in the dumper.

Which takes me back to the 'gadget'.....yeah, perhaps Eitr needs something between it and the DAC, after all. 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

1 hour ago, OldBigEars said:

Well, the Carbon does cost 7X more, and I know it's only been one evening, but holy crap does it sound better.  I shall give it a week to confirm.  First impressions?  Throw the 'any coax works the same' theory in the dumper.

Which takes me back to the 'gadget'.....yeah, perhaps Eitr needs something between it and the DAC, after all. 

Well you can't say cables all sound the same so it's not quite fair to leave the cable out of the equation. I think of them as tuning tweaks but in a sense they are a bit more than a tweak. 

Thanks for the note. I have an RCA coax I'm not 100% on so maybe I'll try the AQ.

As for Schiit, Stoddard posted at HF that the announcements are on the 19th and each week after that. One of them is mainly for classical music, not other types. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:51 PM, Lebouwsky said:

Have you red all the impressions of the Eitr users in this topic? To most of them (including myself) it's a worthy upgrade, but no end game solution for everything before the Eitr. The regen straight in the Eitr made quite an improvement in my system. In fact I'll soon upgrade the power supplies of the sms200 and the regen and ofcourse will report back in this topic.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, Charente said:

@tea_hous Welcome ! I see you are a Roon user and the key point I thought you made earlier was that you were looking for an alternative endpoint for that.

There is much positive (even overwhelming) support on CA for xRendu's fullfilling that role ... and that would meet your primary need ... but they additionally provide a clean(ed) signal that I believe, from what I've heard, would match your upgraded Ygdrassil Gen 5 very well ... a win-win perhaps.

It is my personal experience that even the lower priced microRendu (or indeed a SMS-200) does provide worthwhile benefits in front of the Gen 5 input of the EITR, despite Torq's own opinion. It may be that you don't need an EITR (as an additional device) in your case at all with the Ygdrassil, although as @Lebouwsky mentioned some of us have found the sound preferable from S/PDIF that the EITR provides.

A bit delayed here, but thanks guys.

I don't know... It sounds like the field of differing opinions are revolving around the base question of whether there is a difference between sources feeding the Eitr, as opposed to that being a given and the debate revolving around *which* feed is better.  And, yes, of course personal system and ears all have a large hand here as well.

Taking this observation in as a whole, my guess is that your source still makes a difference, but the delta between, say a mR and uR just dropped from 20% to 1% when going through Eitr.  This leads me to think the best bet is to play the middle ground.  For example, pick up something nice like an Ultrarendu, which has amazing sound quality and the functionality I seek, but avoid splurging on top tier stuff beyond this.  For example, following the law of diminishing returns, if the difference between an Ultrarendu and a Signature Rendu SE is already less than the difference between an Ultrarendu and a Mac / PC, then the difference between the uR and the SrSE would be flattened to presumably inaudible levels when running through the Eitr.  However, the SrSE is about double the cost of an uR setup with a decent LPS.

This is all theory and guesswork, of course... But, without being able to actually audition all this stuff, this is my lot in trying to find the best sound without overspending.

Maybe I'm overthinking this... Also a huge possibility :o

8 minutes ago, tea_hous said:

A bit delayed here, but thanks guys.

I don't know... It sounds like the field of differing opinions are revolving around the base question of whether there is a difference between sources feeding the Eitr, as opposed to that being a given and the debate revolving around *which* feed is better.  And, yes, of course personal system and ears all have a large hand here as well.

Taking this observation in as a whole, my guess is that your source still makes a difference, but the delta between, say a mR and uR just dropped from 20% to 1% when going through Eitr.  This leads me to think the best bet is to play the middle ground.  For example, pick up something nice like an Ultrarendu, which has amazing sound quality and the functionality I seek, but avoid splurging on top tier stuff beyond this.  For example, following the law of diminishing returns, if the difference between an Ultrarendu and a Signature Rendu SE is already less than the difference between an Ultrarendu and a Mac / PC, then the difference between the uR and the SrSE would be flattened to presumably inaudible levels when running through the Eitr.  However, the SrSE is about double the cost of an uR setup with a decent LPS.

This is all theory and guesswork, of course... But, without being able to actually audition all this stuff, this is my lot in trying to find the best sound without overspending.

Maybe I'm overthinking this... Also a huge possibility :o

I don't think it is possible to put a percentage on the difference between ultratrendu/microrendu going into the Eitr. In my main system I could hear a difference but in my headphone system less so. I'm definitely glad that I have the ultrarendu in my main system. The value of that difference will vary from person to person. Seeing how affordable the ultrarendu is compared to the microrendu, if I had it to do all over again, I'm sure I would start with the ultrarendu. Beyond this, I am not sure if the returns are diminishing or just not that interesting to me. My systems are such a pleasure to listen to that I really don't feel compelled to complicate things with clocks and cables and whatall.

@tea_hous Your middle-ground suggestion (ultraRendu), and as @cfisher suggests, or perhaps the equivalent SoTM Ultra model, would be my choice of direction at this moment in time. If it were me, I would first try it directly to your USB input on your DAC (if it has one) for a while. You may very well end up enjoying that solution ... your ears should tell you if the SQ is still missing something ... then try a DDC like the EITR to see if S/PDIF is your preference.

When I bought the microRendu only about a year ago, there weren't as many quality options or variables to consider but it does now appear somewhat overwhelming .. and I suspect it will get worse (or better) according to one's point of view. o.O

@sbenyo It is my intention to compare a couple of things with what I have available ...

1. iFi PS (needed for the mR) in a separate strip outside the BPS.

2. EITR's SMPS also outside the BPS

On my setup, taking the EITR totally out and feeding the Gungnir MB directly into its USB Gen2 is unlikely to provide satisfactory results for me.... but may give that a go to prove that point further.

Certainly my initial listening tests on my preferred setup were positive ... the above steps will either improve things or not make any noticeable difference ... IOW it shouldn't sound worse.

Unfortunately, I am still awaiting the replacement AirLink ... in transit from the UK... so will be a few days yet before I can get around to that. 

@Charente  Hi,  I happen to be considering 2 upgrade paths at the moment.  Either I buy a used MR for streaming Aurdirvana 3.1, instead of my MBP.  Or...upgrade my power conditioner (albeit not the one you have).  Roughly similar costs for me...

In your experience, which piece has the greater impact own SQ - the presence of MR ahead of Eitr in your chain, or your upgraded power supply?

Thanks for your thoughts about that.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

@OldBigEars Given that choice, and with the advantage of having now heard with & without the mR, IMO the biggest 'bang for the buck' would be the AirLink Balanced Power Supply ... with the EITR in place.

As I have mentioned before, the mR (with an UpTone LPS-1) in front of the EITR brings a small but worthwhile improvement to the quality of soundstage depth in particular, the OVERALL sound quality is more apparent with the BPS.

2 hours ago, Charente said:

@OldBigEars Given that choice, and with the advantage of having now heard with & without the mR, IMO the biggest 'bang for the buck' would be the AirLink Balanced Power Supply ... with the EITR in place.

As I have mentioned before, the mR (with an UpTone LPS-1) in front of the EITR brings a small but worthwhile improvement to the quality of soundstage depth in particular, the OVERALL sound quality is more apparent with the BPS.

Great to know, that's what I was suspecting but very helpful to hear your experience.

Thanks

There has bin some talk about coax cables in this topic. But I wanted to know more about it's specifications, so I goolged around and found some interesting stuff that is worth sharing.

A coax cable uses two conductors using the same axis. The optimal coax cable for audio and video is exactly 75ohm, which is a measurement for resistance. The more this spec isn't met, the less signal integrity and the more signal loss. This recistance is formed by 3 variables: distance between conductors, cable length and connector geomotry. It's this last thing, connector geomotry that's got me thinking.

The one and only connector geomotry for 75 ohm coax is BNC. Only with this kind of connection the spec of 75 ohm can be met. RCA was never designed for this task, but somehow it sneaked in. The only thing one can do is to limit the damage, for example to keep the length as short as possible and avoid soldering which influences the geomotry even more. Canare has designed a RCA connector that comes closest to the BNC geomotry, it's called the Canare RCAP C77, which requires a special crimp tool.

It does make me think why Schiit doesn't offer the Eitr with BNC. It also makes me think how much of the signal is getting lost. What I do know is that I want to try a shorter cable with these special Canare connectors. 

One last thing, Neotech NEVD-2001 seems to be a very good coax cable (no plugs included), made out of silver. Not cheap, but really good. They advice to connect the outer conductor only to the sending side of the cable, which makes it direction sensitive cable.

@Lebouwsky Thank-you for the research and write up .... 

EITR ... I guess the obvious answer is that for their initial model they wanted to keep it at a certain price point to have broad market appeal. It would not surprise me (as I have speculated before) that they may well offer an EITR Plus (or whatever), along the lines of a Singxer SU-1. My further speculative thinking is that the bigger (more expensive) Gadget that is in the pipeline, will be an EITR + Gadget in one box and offer more connectivity, such as BNC, either in a BiFrost or Gungnir case.

CANARE ... I bought a RCA/RCA 75ohm cable assembled by Audiophonics in France which uses a CANARE L-5CFB conductor and  CANARE C5F gold plated crimped connectors ... perhaps not quite the same spec as you mention, but for the price, excellent quality ... http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-numeriques-coaxial/audiophonics-canare-cable-numerique-coaxial-75-ohm-rca-rca-1m-p-10668.html

9 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

This recistance is formed by 3 variables: distance between conductors, cable length and connector geomotry. 

Edit: this recistance of cable is formed by:

* size of conductor

* distance between 2 conductors 

* type of dielectric between them

the geometry of rca connectors differs in these 3 specs so it changes recistance.