microRendu with EITR ... iFi iPower versus Uptone LPS-1 ?

Following @OldBigEars request I undertook to test whether there was any difference between using the iPower or the LPS-1 powering a microRendu, when connected to the EITR. This further tests the assertion that anything before the EITR will not make a difference. This may also be useful for others who are contemplating a mR (e.g. as Roon endpoint) in this chain arrangement.

My test kept the new Balanced Power Supply (BPS) that I have acquired in situ, with all components sharing the same power strip connected to the BPS, ... APART from the iFi iPower, which I kept outside the BPS. I had already proved to myself that the iFi pollutes the power to other components resulting in a much less vivid overall sound.

The short answer to the initial question is YES, it does make a difference, although it is not a big one. With the iPower, the ambience is that bit less 'airy' and the tonal quality of the instruments was not quite as accurately portrayed. This was particularly noticeable when I listened to the Shai Maestro Trio (album of the same name). This is quite a dynamic recording and it sounded somewhat 'dulled down' with the iPower ... the drums didn't reveal their ringing thwacks in quite the same way ... the cymbals didn't quite give the same quality delicate 'ting' or lingering airy splash that I was expecting. Piano and double-bass were good tho'... soundstage presentation was as before. Whether these differences are less apparent with other genres of music, I don't know at this stage ... more listening would be required.

Why this is the case, when the EITR isolates the power from the source, I don't have a clue, other than offer 'signal integrity' as an answer. Maybe someone can offer a better explanation.

Having said all that, it is still eminently listenable to with the iPower ... is it worth $395 for the LPS-1 for the resulting difference ? On balance .... nyyyyes ... (it's close!) with one caveat ... get a BPS as well. If you can only get one of these two, then I would say get the BPS first. All IMPO.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

5 minutes ago, Charente said:

Following @OldBigEars request I undertook to test whether there was any difference between using the iPower or the LPS-1 powering a microRendu, when connected to the EITR. This further tests the assertion that anything before the EITR will not make a difference. This may also be useful for others who are contemplating a mR (e.g. as Roon endpoint) in this chain arrangement.

My test kept the new Balanced Power Supply (BPS) that I have acquired in situ, with all components sharing the same power strip connected to the BPS, ... APART from the iFi iPower, which I kept outside the BPS. I had already proved to myself that the iFi pollutes the power to other components resulting in a much less vivid overall sound.

The short answer to the initial question is YES, it does make a difference, although it is not a big one. With the iPower, the ambience is that bit less 'airy' and the tonal quality of the instruments was not quite as accurately portrayed. This was particularly noticeable when I listened to the Shai Maestro Trio (album of the same name). This is quite a dynamic recording and it sounded somewhat 'dulled down' with the iPower ... the drums didn't reveal their ringing thwacks in quite the same way ... the cymbals didn't quite give the same quality delicate 'ting' or lingering airy splash that I was expecting. Piano and double-bass were good tho'... soundstage presentation was as before. Whether these differences are less apparent with other genres of music, I don't know at this stage ... more listening would be required.

Why this is the case, when the EITR isolates the power from the source, I don't have a clue, other than offer 'signal integrity' as an answer. Maybe someone can offer a better explanation.

Having said all that, it is still eminently listenable to with the iPower ... is it worth $395 for the LPS-1 for the resulting difference ? On balance .... nyyyyes ... (it's close!) with one caveat ... get a BPS as well. If you can only get one of these two, then I would say get the BPS first. All IMPO.

Interesting comparison. Could you kindly provide a link to the exact BPS version you're referring to, and do you know whether that version supports American voltage requirements?

Again, thanks for this important experiment.

@sahmen The BPS model I got was from AirLink Transformers in the UK ... https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1502

According to their website, there is no US Input Voltage option, unfortunately. I guess there will be alternatives stateside. I believe the important point is that there should be no filter or conditioning circuitry ... perhaps someone could suggest an equivalent (or better) unit that is readily available in the USA.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

4 hours ago, Charente said:

Great write up @Charente, as always.  I'm actually  at this same point, deciding wether to invest in a psu or a bps. I'll take your advice and will invest in a bps. What brand/ type would you advice, looking back from now?

Thank-you @Lebouwsky ... tho' not advice as such, more a suggestion based on my own experience. I recall you are based in the Netherlands, so the unit I bought from the UK may suit you (EU 230v in/out)...

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1502

I believe they build to order but I found the process for mine quite quick, as was shipping.

13 hours ago, Charente said:

Well, thank you @Charente for doing this valuable research so soon - I greatly appreciate it, as I imagine others will.  Your report is much what I expected in that I've already discounted Torq's Law that nothing matters pre-Eitr (and not much, post-Eitr either).  Yes - the Eitr was game-changing in my system.  But I've already experienced significant improvements with upgraded cables, and now with mR.  

Your conclusion that clean AC power delivers more bang for buck than further tweaks to the mR fits with my estimate - it's excellent to have that question validated.   I've considered the option of LPS-1 or doing the 1.4 upgrade - but these are well down the pecking order for now.

For my part....I aim to contribute to the discussion by exploring over the coming weeks the relative performance of Roon vs A+ , in the context of an mR/Eitr setup.  I'll use my IFI power supply.  Secondly, I'll be able to compare the performance of streaming FLAC files wirelessly from my MacBook (as I am now) versus connecting to the network with a decent Ethernet cable.  Sonore clearly suggests hard-wiring for best SQ.  I'm only able to stream wirelessly at the moment as I'm waiting for my ethernet to arrive. Nevertheless I can report that my current SQ seems pretty darn sweet.  If hard-wiring kicks it up even a half notch, I'll be ecstatic.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

@OldBigEars Given the choice of a mR 1.4 upgrade & an UpTone LPS-1, I personally would go for the LPS-1. I'm really not convinced that the 1.4 mR upgrade will make as much noticeable difference through the EITR ... but USB direct, certainly. I'm happy to be contradicted if anyone has practical experience that says otherwise.

Look forward to your thoughts about Audirvana vs Roon through mR/EITR ... altho' Roon would not work for me as I stream from Qobuz ... gave up on Tidal !

I'm not much of a cable chaser ... I use standard, quality Cat 6a for Ethernet. However, I felt a worthwhile 'jolt' of improvement with the UpTone USPCB connecter for mR>EITR ... and it's neater.

@Abtr ... thank-you, although I can't find it on Qobuz ! :( Where do you source it from ?

I've been thoroughly enjoying re-listening to my large number of favourite albums ... the BPS approach you recommended is providing such great benefits ! .... And as you mentioned, careful consideration to SMPS placement.

@George Hincapie That I doubt John ... it doesn't have the necessary protocol.

@George Hincapie I guess my thought of a micro or ultraRendu (or SoTM) > EITR may be 'too long' for you ... altho' that does include a good quality Roon EP. 

@Speed Racer Agreed Scott ... USB IS the enemy. I couldn't think what else to suggest in his specific scenario ... do you have an alternative ?

@Speed Racer Yes, indeed ! .... Actually the LE version works out less in price than an ultraRendu + LPS-1 ... or were you thinking the next (more expensive) product up ?

@Speed Racer Just looked on the Auralic site ... they don't list the LE version anymore.

I have the Aries Mini with LPSU feeding my headphone system and it performs well.

I did have an Aries Femto feeding my main system but sold it because it was sold to me faulty from new and I always had issues with it. Long story, but my faith in the Aries Femto as a product is gone.

I may try the Allo DigiOne with a LPSU. Supposedly great SQ.

Happy to consider other options though that won't end in divorce!

My USB Gen 5 upgraded Yggdrasil is here, and I am glad to note that it does not exhibit the clicking problem the Eitr/Yggy was experiencing in my house, and that is great already....  On the SQ front, the USB gen 5 has already established itself as a clear winner, although it has seen only 5 hours of warm-up playback time so far, which makes it a little premature to do a definite evaluation of its performance (given that this is the Yggrasil). The Gen USB definitely sounds better than the Yggy with the USB 3 version. That much is already more than clear (and I was not even using the USB 3 for playback... I was using the Audiophilleo 2 with PP USB to S/PDIF converter)... As for the Eitr, it is going to stay with my Metrum Acoustics Hex. henceforth.