IGNORED

Munich High End Show 2017

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think this Marten room was my best of show. 

Yes it was really good, indeed. But of course is a matter of personal taste.

While I was in the MBL room, they played Simone Kermes (soprano) singing from Mozarts Zauberflöte. If I did not know better, I would say, it was a live act - absolutely WOW!

And I really liked the Blumenhofer Gran Gioia with the Mastersound amp (single ended 845er tubes). It was so incredible vivid and the full frequency range from bottom to top was extremely well balanced for my liking.

Marten had a minimal shift to the higher frequencies in my opinion. Maybe I only don't like those membrane material in general.

What was in the Marten room.  I've heard the Coltrane system once and thought it was excellent (but I do not recall what it was playing with at that time).

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

2 minutes ago, MarkS said:

What was in the Marten room.  I've heard the Coltrane system once and thought it was excellent (but I do not recall what it was playing with at that time).

Don't get me wrong - Marten was among the very best of the show. And the level this year was very high!

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've listened to Kharma extensively in a familiar environment, and believe the Marten's are much better for my taste.

Wow.... I am always surprised when someone asserts that ANY speaker is better than Kharma. IME, - I've never heard 1. This means that I HAVE to hear those Martens. Thanks!

On 5/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, Jud said:

OK, who's got the new Sgt Pepper hi res ripped and playing?  (Along the lines of your discussion about why people don't play music at shows that might have some popularity and appeal.  If I heard "Pepper" coming out of a room, I'd run to get there.)

It is cool to hear some of that old classic stuff on great systems!  

David

On 5/20/2017 at 9:31 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just thought of an idea I would love to see at shows. Manufacturers may not like it, but here it goes: a large touchscreen at the door where people can add songs to the queue and wait to hear their songs. I would listen to way more stuff for way longer if this was in place. 

Don't you think that's part of the idea?  Get people in and get people out. If there is a spark of interest then they can find product again at their nearest dealer and really listen and evaluate under much better conditions. 

David

9 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Don't you think that's part of the idea?  Get people in and get people out. If there is a spark of interest then they can find product again at their nearest dealer and really listen and evaluate under much better conditions. 

Yes and no. At a show there are thousands of products. I forget most of the products I see and hear at shows. I remember the stuff that leaves an impression on me and that's only done with specific music and a certain amount of time. Plus, the overall experience of thinking the manufacturer actually cares enough to let me decide what I want to hear is a nice feeling. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I fell in love with TAD Micro Evolution One's. In my opinion, they were the best sounding speakers at the show relative to their price (although driven by some pretty impressive and very expensive electronics, also from TAD). By the way, TAD had the best presentation at the show: the choice of music, the presenters, the atmosphere - absolutely fabulous. 

The little S40 from Dynaudio (driven by some crappy NADs) was also impressive for a €3,000 speaker. 

I NEED TO HAVE TAD, but can't afford it now :(:(:( 

On 24 May 2017 at 6:34 PM, Albrecht said:

I wish I would've been able to attend. I wonder if the Marten's sounded so good because they copied Kharma designs. Or, is Kharma gone now?

I've never listened to Kharma speakers but my listening experiences with Marten we're less than positive, something which I would partly attribute to the use of ceramic drivers and first order filters.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)