IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

After all is there anyone here who's heard all of Bach cantatas.?

I have Rilling's "Complete Cantatas" set. After ripping all 71 discs I listened to one cantata (not one CD) every day, which took most of a year. There may be cantatas that aren't in this "complete" set, as some were lost and others are fragments, but I don't think that's what you meant.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, I have decided to get this one:

51UgY2tIzZL._SX450_.jpg

and:

Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending & Fantasia on a Theme By Thomas Tallis  - Onyx: ONYX4212 - CD or download | Presto Classical

Any recommendations as for some essential Felix Mendelssohn recordings.? I somehow think he could be some antidote to the coming rain season in the Netherlands..x-D

I will start from the zero here.

Thx in advance!

• 5 months later...

A request from (electric and amateur) bass player..

I need some double bass concertos recommendations, going to explore the history of this, underrepresented in my collection genre.

Ps. My priorities have changed since I started this thread:

1. Music

2. Performance

3. SQ

Thanks in advance!

On 2/25/2021 at 11:50 PM, sphinxsix said:

A request from (electric and amateur) bass player..

I need some double bass concertos recommendations, going to explore the history of this, underrepresented in my collection genre.

Ps. My priorities have changed since I started this thread:

1. Music

2. Performance

3. SQ

Thanks in advance!

I must admit my first reaction was "didn't even know that category existed". 

Checked Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass_concerto and noticed that I don't know a single composer on that list (beyond Aho). Good luck in your discovery journey and keep us posted!

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Checked Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass_concerto and noticed that I don't know a single composer on that list (beyond Aho).

I had done this and the result was the same. It's even not easy to find some works of the composers mentioned there on streaming services I use.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Good luck in your discovery journey and keep us posted!

Thank you!

The idea came to my mind after discovering this (highly recommended):

Edgar Meyer, Giovanni Bottesini, Edgar Meyer, Hugh Wolff, St. Paul Chamber  Orchestra, Yo Yo Ma, Joshua Bell - Meyer & Bottesini Concertos - Amazon.com  Music

For now I have found this recording also interesting (Nwanoku's bass sounds amazing!):

bol.com | Dittersdorf, Vanhal: Double Bass Concertos / Nwanoku, Goodwin et  al, Onbekend | CD...

I'm still open to suggestions of course, since I'm quite determined to explore the subject (as usual :)). Not an easy question, I know.. :)

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

Thanks, will for sure check it out!

My album of the evening. It seems that a clear, bright sounding double basses are as standard in DB concertos as Steinway D grands in case of PCs and it's understandable - they (just like Steinway) can be more clearly heard in the orchestra. Once I heard a recording studio engineer commenting on my (also clear and bright sounding) Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller Signature that it is often used not only by jazz and funk musicians but also by heavy metal ones. 'It can be easily heard in a dense, wall of sound kind of mix' - he explained the whole thing to the surprised me. 

The second disc of this album is a slight stretch - these are two G minor cello sonatas by Chopin and Rachmaninov transposed to E minor for the double bass. Haven't heard the 2nd disc yet, the first one is IMHO also really good.

?id=2403485&size=640

9 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks, will for sure check it out!

My album of the evening. It seems that a clear, bright sounding double basses are as standard in DB concertos as Steinway D grands in case of PCs and it's understandable - they (just like Steinway) can be more clearly heard in the orchestra. Once I heard a recording studio engineer commenting on my (also clear and bright sounding) Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller Signature that it is often used not only by jazz and funk musicians but also by heavy metal ones. 'It can be easily heard in a dense, wall of sound kind of mix' - he explained the whole thing to the surprised me. 

The second disc of this album is a slight stretch - these are two G minor cello sonatas by Chopin and Rachmaninov transposed to E minor for the double bass. Haven't heard the 2nd disc yet, the first one is IMHO also really good.

?id=2403485&size=640

I have and like that one.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

6000 posts isn't it the right moment for some celebration with eg a little bit of Porto? :)

Still recovering from an apendicectomy, so no alcohol for the time being. 😇

18 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

So I understand that after the full recovery (wishing  you a quick one!) there will be actually a double reason to celebrate ;)

Thanks, I intend to have a socially distanced party!