IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

4 hours ago, accwai said:

What's so special about it?

IMO both his playing and the sound of his instrument are exceptional, which doesn't mean that he gets any close to the piano version by Perahia, which at least for now (I've got a slightly bigger choice now :)) is my personal reference for its richness of nuance and depth. The very fact that he plays lautenwerk which was one of the instruments favored by Bach has actually no meaning for me.

And what do you think?

3 hours ago, accwai said:

Nuance and depth are way over my head, so I'm drawn to frivolous stuff like lautenwerk. Was going ask for opinion on versions by Gwendolyn Toth, Wilhelm Middelschulte Goldberg etc, but never mind.

Unfortunately I haven't heard or heard of these two versions earlier, they are not among my '50' so I can't say anything about them. Do I understand correctly - you'd recommend checking them out? 

On 3/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, sphinxsix said:

[...] they are not among my '50' so I can't say anything about them. Do I understand correctly - you'd recommend checking them out?

Well if you check them out, perhaps you could let me know if they're worthy of being recommended in the first place x-D

12 hours ago, accwai said:

Well if you check them out, perhaps you could let me know if they're worthy of being recommended in the first place x-D

Sorry, but I'm afraid that for now I have hmmm.. slightly overdosed the Goldberg Variations.

OTOH I can recommend some probably less known versions of GV and WTC which are quite new to me and which I (at least) quite like :) e.g.

Bach, Elena Barshai – Goldberg Variations (2007, CD) - Discogs

ECM Records | Shop

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I won't go into details, I will just say that Andrei Tarkovsky cinema has made me much more open to the post II WW music. I myself am quite surprised but eg Ligeti or Berio music makes much more sense to me now.

Posting this with hope that maybe this could work not only for me..:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My essential African composers collection..🙂 Maybe someone will be interested in checking this out, recommended!

I don't know much more about the performer (she recorded earlier for Meridian) and the composers of these pieces than what James Manheim wrote on Allmusic:

The commercial success of this release is perhaps no surprise, for it certainly delivers something different from most anything else listeners are encountering in 2022. The contents are exactly what is promised by pianist Rebeca Omordia, herself of Nigerian-Romanian background: works for piano by African composers. A few of these composers have been heard before on recordings, but for the most part, they will be new to listeners. There is one work by a white South African composer, David Earl, and several by a composer from Morocco, Nabil Benabdeljalil, but most of the music draws on sub-Saharan African traditions. Omordia does well to play her strongest card first; the Egun Variations in G major of Ayo Bankole form an arresting little structure that merges a pentatonic scale, the G major tonality, and the variation form in an entirely original way. One of the Benabdeljalil pieces and one of the cleverly titled Three Yoruba Songs Without Words by Akin Euba is accompanied by a percussionist, Abdelkader Saadoun, and composers Christian Onyeji and J.H. Kwabena Nketia (better known as an ethnomusicologist) both point to the importance of drum patterns in their pieces, but what is likely to strike many listeners is the exploration of musical elements other than rhythms in the music on this album. This is a fresh collection of music, well played by someone who has thought about it, and it seems to open up a new world. The Somm label's Menuhin Hall sound is excellent.

African Pianism - Album by Rebeca Omordia | Spotify