IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

Been checking out some Biber recordings this morning. Seems that his Harmonia Artificioso Ariosa is yet another composition I will be interested in. These two performances IMO (just a quick check)  seem potentially interesting :

image.png.3f8e48cf94c099bb43d622c11447e466.png

image.png.b519e4d0332de4fac93c7dc43d6687b3.png

This album also caught my attention.

image.thumb.png.5067e83e43fdcef7b59cec9f628d9969.png

Obviously, all suggestions are welcome.

7 hours ago, Daccord said:

If early 21st century is modern enough for you, Mitsuko Uchida has released some lovely Schubert recordings.

The complete Schubert piano box by Uchida is indeed a great start.

Here are some others:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/10/20/schubert-a-journey-through-11-versions-of-schuberts-piano-sonata-d959/

I‘d also focus on the late piano sonatas first.

For Schumann, I find Kissin to be an excellent starting point.

0884977703528_600.jpg

I'd be interested in recommendations for Schubert's string quintet.  I'd love to find a modern one to equal the 1952 by Stern, Casals, A. Schneider, et al.

In alphabetical order, the others I have are Arcanto, Emerson, Guarneri, Hagen, Melos, Orpheus Quartet, and St Luke's Chamber Ens.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I'd be interested in recommendations for Schubert's string quintet.  I'd love to find a modern one to equal the 1952 by Stern, Casals, A. Schneider, et al.

In alphabetical order, the others I have are Arcanto, Emerson, Guarneri, Hagen, Melos, Orpheus Quartet, and St Luke's Chamber Ens.

This is a music I want listen to almost any version, with each I seem to find something. Lindsays version speaks something very special to me. H.Schiff/Alban Berg Q, Rostropovich/Melos, Auryn, Juilliard, Takacs, Miro... 

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This is a music I want listen to almost any version, with each I seem to find something. Lindsays version speaks something very special to me. H.Schiff/Alban Berg Q, Rostropovich/Melos, Auryn, Juilliard, Takacs, Miro... 

Agree, you can’t have enough of this masterpiece. Could well be THE ultimate chamber music work. 

@AnotherSpin I don't neglect older recordings (I have e.g. albums by Furtwangler, Tureck or Heifetz in my library), I just like to have well recorded versions too. You seem to confirm that as for these two composers some of my choices probably weren't bad - I have e.g. recordings by Schiff, Kempff or Hamelin. Schnabel and Horowitz IMO sound very interesting, I will need some more time to check out your other recommendations, thanks! BTW as for Cortot, Sofronitsky, Nat and Fleisher whose names are among the performers recommended by you - s..t, I thought I already know the names of more important pianists! x-D

@Daccord I have this Volodos album, I like it too.

& @Musicophile Thanks guys, Uchida recordings are IMO very good. The set to be ordered (probably Brendel too, haven't checked out Perahia album yet). As for your recommended chamber pieces - I have them all (and unlike @jhwalker, I actually do remember from whom I got these recommendations ;))

@Bob Stern I've managed to check out some fragments of Le Sage's 'Schumann Project'. Sounds like honey to my ears! Thanks a lot!

BTW Last night I realized that this thread has its 2nd birthday today. Thank you for two years of fantastic recommendations, guys!

Listened to couple of Richter's Schumann recordings yesterday evening. His Schumann is, probably, the main reason why I can not bear Richter. Mock drama rapidly juxtaposed with schmaltzy lyricism and back to comic profundity, etc. Travesty and good learning material how Schumann should not be played. Schumann gives great freedom to performer, and one should have very solid basis and impeccable taste for not turning everything into burlesque.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:53 AM, Bob Stern said:

Reverting to the Baroque era, another offbeat composer to explore is Zelenka.  Unusual dissonances and harmonic progressions.

I'd love to hear some recordings recommendations as for Zelenka. I've checked out fragments of his two masses, but I've actually found these two album more intriguing from my point of view.

image.png.c97cf48a96ea40ff2b1c7bf1886d15ee.png

image.png.051dfd1cb91a3beba7344abd2eecf2ba.png

(this one is issued by Linn)

On 4/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, AnotherSpin said:

If we speak about not so well known Czech composers, I would suggest to check even lesser known Ladislav Dussek. His piano concertos or sonatas are true gems.

Could you suggest some particular performances?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I heard Sándor Veress' string trio on the radio while driving back from work today and it intrigued me hence my 'album' of the evening. This performance and this quality (I didn't know lossy audio formats can sound that good before buying my Adam Audio monitors :)).

I guess it might be difficult to get some other SV recordings recommendations, guys..(?)