IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I listened recently to 2 Albinoni albums:

image.png.0f1560dfd04c87bb01f7c99ec16f8bf0.pngimage.png.0737e88554092efa0fbbe156cae9e4b0.png

These are two very (!) different performances. I may be accused of lack of taste but I like both, in a different way though. My question is - can someone recommend a well recorded Albinoni album similar in style to I Solisti Veneti 'serene' (chill out.? :)) recording?

The Claudio Scimone/I Solisti Veneti performances you have are 'slow' movements (adagio, andante, largo, etc.) compiled from full recordings of the complete works, mostly Albinoni's Opus 10 (a set of 12 concerti).  So, I'd suggest that perhaps you locate the two-CD set of the full recordings, so you can decide if it's more that you prefer Scimone's approach, or if it's the slow movements themselves that most appeal to you.  Then you could go from there for further recommendations or investigations of your own, perhaps?

Here is one of the Erato issues of the full Opus 10 set:

745184541_AlbinoniOpus10a.jpg.22801e9e336c6e38990384f536fb4f69.jpg

1608854103_AlbinoniOpus10b.jpg.983673f4dbb0be28c3e14831119f1ce8.jpg

There is also a recording of Opus 9 concerti with Scimone/I Solisti Veneti if you wanted to compare those directly to Hogwood's interpretations.  Not everyone enjoys the "Historically-Informed" or so-called "authentic" instruments/style, so Scimone's recordings are a happy medium for many listeners between "authentic" period music practice and the large-scale modern orchestra versions prevalent throughout most of the 20th Century.  I personally prefer the "authentic" camp, but I get more enjoyment from the beauty of music than I do from my snobbery, so anything that serves beauty is worthy of pleasure haha!  Don't worry about naysayers, especially in the discovery phase of your music enjoyment.  :) 

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

18 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I listened recently to 2 Albinoni albums:

image.png.0f1560dfd04c87bb01f7c99ec16f8bf0.pngimage.png.0737e88554092efa0fbbe156cae9e4b0.png

These are two very (!) different performances. I may be accused of lack of taste but I like both, in a different way though. My question is - can someone recommend a well recorded Albinoni album similar in style to I Solisti Veneti 'serene' (chill out.? :)) recording?

You may want to look out for something that is actually by Albinoni himself. The Adagio is from the 20th century. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice music, just not baroque. 

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

You may want to look out for something that is actually by Albinoni himself. The Adagio is from the 20th century. 

I guess it was exactly a requirement. Lounge music resembling something from the past. Listened one of the recent Françoise Hardy albums yesterday, some hints to baroque stylization there, as per my ears.

16 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

The Claudio Scimone/I Solisti Veneti performances you have are 'slow' movements (adagio, andante, largo, etc.) compiled from full recordings of the complete works, mostly Albinoni's Opus 10 (a set of 12 concerti).  So, I'd suggest that perhaps you locate the two-CD set of the full recordings, so you can decide if it's more that you prefer Scimone's approach, or if it's the slow movements themselves that most appeal to you.  Then you could go from there for further recommendations or investigations of your own, perhaps?

Here is one of the Erato issues of the full Opus 10 set:

745184541_AlbinoniOpus10a.jpg.22801e9e336c6e38990384f536fb4f69.jpg

1608854103_AlbinoniOpus10b.jpg.983673f4dbb0be28c3e14831119f1ce8.jpg

There is also a recording of Opus 9 concerti with Scimone/I Solisti Veneti if you wanted to compare those directly to Hogwood's interpretations.  Not everyone enjoys the "Historically-Informed" or so-called "authentic" instruments/style, so Scimone's recordings are a happy medium for many listeners between "authentic" period music practice and the large-scale modern orchestra versions prevalent throughout most of the 20th Century.  I personally prefer the "authentic" camp, but I get more enjoyment from the beauty of music than I do from my snobbery, so anything that serves beauty is worthy of pleasure haha!  Don't worry about naysayers, especially in the discovery phase of your music enjoyment.  :) 

I liked both Hogwood and I Solisti Veneti interpretations but for different reasons. Yes, maybe a good idea is to simply check out some more ISV recordings. Thank you very much for your reply!

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

There is only one composition on these two albums that hasn't been written by Albinoni himself (at least not in its entirety). I actually wanted to comment on the fact that the title 'Albinoni's Adagios' is misleading (and strictly commercial I think) when I posted it because these are not only adagios and not only by Albinoni. I think Hogwood's performance is much more 'authentic' and interesting but for me the smooth ISV interpretation has some 'chill out' charm I'm able to enjoy when I'm in a particular mood for such music :)

On 4/10/2019 at 7:58 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Both Salome and Electra are not so lengthy, so it is easy to listen without too much effort. Bartok's Bluebeard Castle is even shorter. 

If you will like Strauss, you may try to listen a short selection of instrumental pieces from Wagner's Der Ring recorded by Solti. Or, I would suggest to check a particular selection with Maria Callas below.

I am trying to recall what brought me to opera many years ago. I think I was very much impressed with opera fragments in some films as well. 

814r80TpRlL._SS500_.jpg

71Em4oyvxZL._SX425_.jpg

When I saw your post my thought was it was quite telepathic :) I actually listened to Maazel's 'The Ring without Words' CD quite often recently and I liked the music a lot but I didn't have much time to explore the subject (but I have it now!). I liked Solti's 'Excerpts' even more! Thank you very much for this recommendation! Seems that Wagner may become a huge name for me! I don't think I'm ready for his full operas though. I googled the subject for a moment last night and it there is of course a wide choice of Wagner's orchestral interpretations by Solti, Maazel, Karajan, Szell, Jarvi, Klemperer, Runnicles, I.Fischer, Furtwangler and others so I count on you, guys and your suggestions again. I believe I'm ready to add a substantial number of his recordings to my music library. As usual - performance comes first but SQ matters too.

Orchestral Wagner, gentlemen s'il vous plait (although I should rather say bitte) :) 

Thanks in advance - every post is appreciated!

1 hour ago, Peter Hyatt said:

"Ring Without Words"!

Last night, I started the book, "My lie with WAGNER" by Christian Thielemann.

Fascinating read!  

I am reading about him as a boy, who could not be further from the norm or expected in life. It is interesting to read one, looking back through the years of maturity, upon himself as a prodigy.  He has acute self awareness and in spite of his gifts, humility.    I want to understand what Wagner did to him.  I want to, even just a bit, experience it for myself.  

It seems to take a bit more effort than a 3 minute, 3 chord pop song.  Just a bit. 

Life...))

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Orchestral Wagner, gentlemen s'il vous plait (although I should rather say bitte) :) 

Thanks in advance - every post is appreciated!

There is also very interesting documentary film about recording of Solti's Ring - "The Golden Ring". Quite a glimpse into this extraordinary effort. You may probably know this was the very first studio recording of Wagner's cycle in history, and, many believe, still the best.

I understand that asking an opera lover about orchestral Wagner is a little bit like asking a Beatles fan about the best album with instrumental versions of their songs x-D Unfortunately my margin of tolerance for opera singing is still in general quite low. I have no problem with choral recordings though. @AnotherSpin Thanks for your recommendations! I will get all 3 albums (and check out some more purely orchestral Wagner by myself). As for Maria Callas - just between us - I have a small selection of her recent hi res remasters, will check out the album you recommended too. She was definitely someone very special!

On 4/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, AnotherSpin said:

I think you are pretty much covered with Ring's orchestral excerpts with Solti album...

I have actually come to a different conclusion and I ordered almost a dozen of Wagner instrumental albums (I agree - Solti is very good with Wagner!). Has he composed any interesting instrumental pieces (I was disappointed with his C major symphony).?

Meanwhile, I just fell in love with this recording:

image.png.de3353a0adc3adfd9ab1353a50be5e96.png

I've checked out some other versions of this composition, out of which the two IMO most interesting ones are:

image.png.2492cb86cfc4fc9e9dd95aa34c2a109d.pngimage.png.bbc67c3759da9507ac5b2c2861f1a42d.png

Would anyone have some other suggestions as for The Rosary Sonatas recordings.?

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I have actually come to a different conclusion and I ordered almost a dozen of Wagner instrumental albums (I agree - Solti is very good with Wagner!). Has he composed any interesting instrumental pieces (I was disappointed with his C major symphony).?

I've checked out some other versions of this composition, out of which the two IMO most interesting ones are:

image.png.2492cb86cfc4fc9e9dd95aa34c2a109d.pngimage.png.bbc67c3759da9507ac5b2c2861f1a42d.png

Are you a Beliber?

Bad pun aside, this one is quite good, but I also like Podger for the SQ. 

761195124321.jpg?1471125689

4 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

You may check Siegfried Idyll. But, honestly, his operas have so much great music. I would have problems to suggest something really important to read from Leo Tolstoy if one doesn't want War and Peace or Anna Karenina...)

Biber – Podger is great, imho. Manze too. You would try Daniel Sepec as well.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

You may check Siegfied Idyll.

I did.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

But, honestly, his operas has so much great music. I would have problems to suggest something really important to read from Leo Tolstoy if one doesn't want War and Peace or Anna Karenina...)

I can understand that.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

You would try Daniel Sepec as well.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

You may check Siegfried Idyll. But, honestly, his operas have so much great music. I would have problems to suggest something really important to read from Leo Tolstoy if one doesn't want War and Peace or Anna Karenina...)

Biber – Podger is great, imho. Manze too. You would try Daniel Sepec as well.

One of my favorites, although becoming hard to find. 

4039956210085.jpg.7c8a96d7c7e0280a3c9a71e71b88a503.jpg

Full review: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=522299

The other is the Holloway. I really like the playing of all the ensemble members: John Holloway (violin), Davitt Moroney (chamber organ & harpsichord)), Stephen Stubbs (lute/chitarrone), Andrew Lawrence-King (harp/regal), Erin Headley (gamba/lirone)

0724356206250.jpg.6db09eb6eeab75f216c7345eefba61f7.jpg

Cheap, too! 🐮 https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7928552--biber-the-rosary-sonatas

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

One of my favorites, although becoming hard to find. 

4039956210085.jpg.7c8a96d7c7e0280a3c9a71e71b88a503.jpg

Full review: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=522299

I will check out this one, thanks!

As for Holloway - I've checked it out and I agree - it's good although I liked the above mentioned three recordings more, this one for me would take the fourth place if I may be so mathematically precise. BTW I liked your Notre Dame gargoyle..

7 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I will check out this one, thanks!

As for Holloway - I've checked it out and I agree - it's good although I liked the above mentioned three recordings more, this one for me would take the fourth place if I may be so mathematically precise. BTW I liked your Notre Dame gargoyle..

I was thinking about Holloway, whom I was listening quite a long time ago. Something was not quite right to me with his version or Rosenkranz, maybe it was not performance, but something else, sound maybe.