IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

On 4/26/2017 at 0:00 AM, Forehaven said:

Just when I got the SU1 cable worked out, and began to look for DC connectors, it now seems working with 'high end' connectors isn't working so well or at all.

I'd love to use the best DC 2.1mmX5.5mm connector - solder (that I can easily use with the 4SG) available.  So can you guys please point me to a couple of connector options?

It's a great find John, that this cable is so versatile as both a DC power cord, and as the internal DC wire hookup wire.  Thanks for sharing man!  

Question...do "high end" connectors affect the sound or quality of the power being transferred?  Or is the desire for high quality connectors just to ensure longevity/reliability and satisfy our desire of audiophile bling??

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

These are solid brass rather than machine stamped. But what is marketing blurb and a genuine benefit i am not sure. The gold makes no real difference just less reactive to the atmosphere. A tiny amount of deoxit fixes that. I do like the look though.

Utones oyaide version older type from John and alex cabling advice. Accepts that 6mm.. on the shell and bigger receptacles ? to solder into?.

Canare x4 wires matter as John explains.

The older Oyaide easy-to-use for 6mm canare compared. 

Smaller Quad cable. a got a meter yesterday Should easy fit. the shell but John's 18awg canare is what i am aiming for.

Look back up the thread for the Older Oyaide DC connector type.

Thank you @Middy  I will probably get some good ones just for piece of mind.

I've got my Canare 4S6 coming today.  I will first try to change the cable feeding my SU-1 from the LPS-1 then also replace the internal cable in the SU-1.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Question...do "high end" connectors affect the sound or quality of the power being transferred?  Or is the desire for high quality connectors just to ensure longevity/reliability and satisfy our desire of audiophile bling??

My experience, i heard no improvement in sound quality, when i used old style Oyaide DC connectors instead of inexpensive ones from electronic local store.

best improvement is that the Older style Oyaide was so much easier to solder, especially for someone like me who rarely solders

nice secure fit into the DC input of the device to be powered

reliability ... i went thru a period when el cheapo DC cables either failed and 1 actually shorted, went sparky,

Another i purchased was incorrectly wired centre negative, so i decided to DIY and do it right.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

11 hours ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

These look so nice and appear to be of a similar quality to the Oyaide plugs at a lower cost, however I just checked to see what Audiophonics would charge for shipping a small packet to the U.S. and unfortunately it's 22 Euros!

Maybe someday there will be interest to arrange a group buy to help spread that shipping cost, but as it stands now I can't pay 22 Euros for a small La Poste air mail packet, the French postal system must be hurting even far worse than the USPS if those rates are any indication.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Maybe someday there will be interest to arrange a group buy to spread that shipping cost, but as it stands now I can't pay 22 Euros for a small La Poste air mail packet, the French postal system must be hurting even far worse than the USPS if those rates are any indication.

I tried to register as a dealer on their site, but my valid VAT number was not acceped.

Maybe someone in the US, or in another EU country can test.

then a groupbuy should be easy.

It seems these are only sold in France ?

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I tried to register as a dealer on their site, but my valid VAT number was not acceped.

Maybe someone in the US, or in another EU country can test.

then a groupbuy should be easy.

It seems these are only sold in France ?

Yes it appears they are only sold in France, my searches failed to turn up any other sources.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, Middy said:

The 5mm soft internal tubing came to make some washers. Will work quiet nice.

Just cut to length 

?

2017-04-27 19.24.51.jpg

What are you going to use that for?

Other components:

6 hours ago, tboooe said:

Nah, just a well built one.  I saw John or Alex mention either Switchcraft or CUI somewhere that's a good choice.  I found some CUI one's.  Thanks anyways guys.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Gold plating for power connectors is not necessarily a good thing. If the system is energized when you plug it in, a small spark is generated when they connect. This has enough energy to vaporize the gold plating where the

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I have found a Chinese manufacturer that may be willing to either offer these power cables we need using the suggested Canare cables. Free shipping.

It will either be a group-buy, or included in his product line. 

Length I'm not sure, but I think most is interested in short lengths. Maybe 20 cm. (0,65 ft). 

I expect a very nice price ?

Unless he as well has to use expensive plugs. 

I hopfully will know more later in a couple if days. 

Just make sure they know to connect diagonally opposite conductors. 

Thanks,

John S.

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

What are you going to use that for?

Many have asked me that question...?

58fe5b96798c5_2017-04-2421_02_18.thumb.png.8a5a77136da6c6bab1182981dcc6bdac.png

The Oyaide connectors come with 3 spacers. But they are longer , my version connector may not need them but this is a very cheap quick fix, i can custom cut to size...and i like green Rubber..?

The devil makes work of idle internet searches. .

It calms my ISO waiting angst....

1493333978539-1108168718.jpg

On 4/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Here you go!

DIY_DC_cable.thumb.jpg.16de00b3d3aa0300201673e388d521c8.jpg

I just got my Canare, along with a barrel of 2.1 barrel screw connectors.

I thought this would be easy, but I'm already in the weeds. Can you guys help us noobs out?

1. Is there some trick to using these terminal blocks? You just insert bare (stripped) wire and tighten, right?
  2. Assuming yes, how much approx should I strip?
  3. As per John's instructions, I'm twisting together the white and clear white wires, and the red and clear red wires.
  4. Each time I try, I either end up with too much bare copper showing outside the terminal block, to the point where I feel the two pairs will short - or, I can't get a good attachment with the screws.
  5. Do I need to buy some heatshrink cable sleeves?

I know - this is a bit embarrassing!

1 hour ago, austinpop said:
  1. Is there some trick to using these terminal blocks? You just insert bare (stripped) wire and tighten, right?

I twisted the wires together and lightly tinned them so they won't unwind.

1. Assuming yes, how much approx should I strip?

I stripped about a 1/2" of jacket from the wires, twisted them together, tinned them lightly and then trimmed/snipped the excess length.  Now it doesn't matter how much you've stripped - you stuff the bare end into the connector and figure out how long it needs to be.

1. Do I need to buy some heatshrink cable sleeves?

No, you don't "need" to do heatshrink, but it doesn't hurt either.  It soothes my OCD.

I want to try powering two devices from a single LPS-1.   To that end, I took a section of 4-conductor star quad and just used two conductors per device.  I used 6mm "cable pants" to split the wires to each device.  The fit is pretty good.  I am still waiting on parts to terminate the ends. 
...this is the current state of my two-device prototype.

C11E2FC0-13CD-415D-B14D-F69328FBFAC4_zps

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

1 hour ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

Hi austinpop

- strip 1/4-3/8 in ( 8-10mm)

- make sure screws are backed right off - loose

-bend wires so you can insert both at the same time - should fit in right up to insulation

- hold wires in place and tighten both - some wire will be forced out during tightening

- you could use heatshrink on one pair - or a thin strip of paper or similar

-secure with 3/4in ( 19mm) Heatshrink 3:1 - if using 2:1 you will need to build up diameter of cable for a secure bond

P1010964.thumb.JPG.4835eccf29736d1517abe71ca670eb83.JPGP1010966.thumb.JPG.6322d23d71c789ff9e17c63f93203b02.JPGP1010968.thumb.JPG.9c8ef66d5659b53911b51109e2ab548d.JPGP1010970.thumb.JPG.8fb1ed397db16da5fe3ec4a9b862fa88.JPGP1010971.thumb.JPG.86264ba8adce9bb91e982c2822dcbc39.JPG

Thanks so much, guys!

I don't have any heat shrink, but will get some. The pictures are super helpful too.

I just made a 4 inch cable using the Canare wire to go from my LPS-1 to SU-1.  I may be 100% nuts but it seems the Canare added significant clarity to the music.  This is crazy!!  I am going to next replace the internal DC cable in the SU-1.  

Other components:

6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I am going to next replace the internal DC cable in the SU-1.  

Yeah Tommy, I received my Kitsune plate/cable kit yesterday and was a bit let down that the wire is only 22awg.  Its because the crimp terminals in the housing for the board connector are very small, though if I got that got that housing and pins for that size I could solder 18awg to it.

Short of you cutting and doing a solder-spice, I'd recommend you at least unsolder one of the wires from the DC panel-jack and twist the pair together for a bit lower inductance.  (Don't twist super tight, just a couple twists per inch max.)  Probably won't do much, but you will feel like you've done something. B|

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yeah Tommy, I received my Kitsune plate/cable kit yesterday and was a bit let down that the wire is only 22awg.  Its because the crimp terminals in the housing for the board connector are very small, though if I got that got that housing and pins for that size I could solder 18awg to it.

Short of you cutting and doing a solder-spice, I'd recommend you at least unsolder one of the wires from the DC panel-jack and twist the pair together for a bit lower inductance.  (Don't twist super tight, just a couple twists per inch max.)  Probably won't do much, but you will feel like you've done something. B|

Alex, I got some extra connectors and pins.  I was able to jam some 16awg wires in there without any solder using some needle nose pliers and squeezing the heck out of it.  I need to find my soldering iron tomorrow.  I'm going to just completely redo the wiring from Tim's kit.  I'm expecting a lot of cursing because my soldering skills are horrible. 

Other components: