IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

9 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

Hi Jud - you'll need 19mm(3/4") min. Heatshrink to fit over the screw type 2.1mm plug - 3:1 shrink ratio would be best

I think you could heat it up to shrink while its straight then put the 90 deg. bend in it while the Heatshrink is still hot

Michael

Thanks, much appreciated.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

No :D

ScreenShot193.thumb.jpg.4a1a7b63118daf6b34b27c350ba2adfd.jpg

Anyway, I guess you have given up to order a shielded DC cable ?

Got it...the shielded star quad is a different model L-4E6S, which I think is basically the 4S6 with a shield right?  It looks like awg is a bit smaller though i dont think it will make a difference for our application.

I have not given up.  I emailed the vendor but have not heard back.  If I dont hear back I will try to make a shielded version myself and compare against the normal 46S.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

done right now ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

55 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Got it...the shielded star quad is a different model L-4E6S, which I think is basically the 4S6 with a shield right?  It looks like awg is a bit smaller though i dont think it will make a difference for our application.

I have not given up.  I emailed the vendor but have not heard back.  If I dont hear back I will try to make a shielded version myself and compare against the normal 46S.

Actually they are quite different. 4E6S is a microphone cable, it has 24AWG conductors, the 4S6 is a speaker cable with 20AWG conductors, that is quite a big difference between conductor sizes. The shielding is not worth the dramatically thinner conductors in my opinion. 

John S.

On 7.5.2017 at 5:18 PM, R1200CL said:

Y-cable seems to be a challenge.

Can someone post ideas what is acceptable. Does it have to be Oyaide ?

Smaller cable, Shield or no shield, or a modified Elec plug, or a plastic plug in one end. I think it's fair if we can agree upon "one standard". Or make the split outside the plug ?

Maybe we should find a manufacturer that is willing to make a Y-plug :D

Noboddy need a Y-split ?

Or just none has a suggestion how to do ?

Will the Elec plug standard or modified version hold 8 wires (dual Canare 4S6 without outer black isolation ) ?

@Michael-Elijah Audio Can you please test with your Elec connector ?

If doable, is it acceptable to use a Oyaide without the cover, and just use a heat shrink tube ?

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Noboddy need a Y-split ?

Or just none has a suggestion how to do ?

Yes to both.  

I for one would not mind if the Y portion is not an Oyaide connector just so long as it is high quality.  

I think a solution is to move the "Y" away from the connector end.

1.  Solder a star quad to a 2.1mm Oyiade connector at the LPS-1 end.

2.  At the other end of the cable, maybe 2" away create some pigtails.

3.  Solder two additional lengths of cable to the pigtail end to create the "Y"

Any drawbacks to this approach?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

CanBox.thumb.png.09e32116306c9e024a1b6df2d22b4746.png

Thank you Michael for making a very nice visual!  I was thinking about this more..instead of soldering at the Y, perhaps use a small terminal block then cover it in heat shrink.  Could be easier???

Something like this....

copy_2eDGKR.jpg

Other components:

That's a handy terminal Tboooe.  Ugly, so just put it in Michael's small project box for looks.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

21 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

That's a handy terminal Tboooe.  Ugly, so just put it in Michael's small project box for looks.

This could be better if you remove the "wings".

47102FL.gif

Other components:

Got it - I think -  easy as pie DIY Y cable

Order 3 cables from Ghent unterminated at one end - at your required lengths

For eg - 1 x 30cm , 2 x 15cm

Get a pack of these  Wago connectors - About $10 for 10 

5911db1f07088_211CQGTVGL._AC_SR160160_-Copy.thumb.jpg.d752f22a47fd4364fe20ffd036854feb.jpg

The 6 positive wires  go in one connector - 6 negative wires  go in another

Here's a vid about them

@Michael-Elijah Audio great minds think alike!  I was just looking at the Wago stuff.  I used to sell this product line back when I was in the electronics business.  I think the push fit series may be better just because its even smaller.  

I know this is minor but I can't visualize how using this kind of terminal block can look "pretty".  We wont be able to get a nice "Y" shape.  I may just go with soldering the pig tails!

Other components:

3 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

This new one is even smaller and accepts from 14AWG to 28AWG - 2 x 21AWG 4S6 is Approx 18AWG - so the double wires will fit no problem

Other option is the 2273 push series which is very small as well.

Other components:

Great idea on the Y cable. One could then swap out lengths as needed. Of course the sound quality vs a direct connection may still be slightly inferior. Who knows?

Might like to see Ghent audio offer a GX-16 connection as well for the popular linear power supplies that use them..

I was also wondering what kind of sonic benefits might be gained by rewiring an iFi iPower switch with a decent shorter cable like these rather than the piece of string they're built with? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

7 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Might like to see Ghent audio offer a GX-16 connection as well for the popular linear power supplies that use them..

I am actually just waiting on some parts and will be making a cable with a GX16-2 and 2.1mm connector.  I am hopeful I will have all the parts this weekend.

Other components:

6 hours ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

I don't have the Canary-:) wire

OK

I will have Elec shipped to Oslo, hopefully tomorrow. I have Canare 4S6.

The French was afraid shipping samples to China, as they may get lost in the post. 

Ghent has confirmed he is also working on a solution.