IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

Well, ok.  How about "it is yet more evidence of the collapse of western civilization".  Is that going to far? ;)

Did you say Trump?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

44 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I only need credibility in so far as making a decision that I do or don't like something, just like anybody else. IOW, that's my opinion. Not an absolute, universal condemnation of the genres, just my absolute condemnation of them. Another example: I despise brussels sprouts but love cabbage. Do I need to know why? Do I need to study why? I don't think so. I've tried brussels sprouts, in, I believe, every way that it is possible to prepare them (even raw) and I can't stomach them. End of analysis.

I

Sir, accept my humble apologies for saying you were not an Audiophile, because you prefer Classical and Jazz, whilst I am a Dead head.

Sure, it was a cult following, but they valued their concert tapes and traded them like a samizdat in their Tribe.

I have the utmost respect for a man of your distinguished letters and meant no harm. I fear that we, as a culture have developed a 'Internet persona' something akin to the subconscious 'dark place' that gets free reign when online. It gets all worked up in petty arguments, we forget the other end of the conversation is a human with feelings and experiences and a love of High Fidelity Stereo, whom I do not even know personally.

To be a Peacemaker, rather than a flame-thrower.

20 hours ago, firedog said:

Big bob-

don't know how much you know about George, but he's spent a career recording music -acoustic. Doesn't listen to modern Rock And Pop. 

Sorry, but not knowing about or appreciating the Dead or Wall of Sound doesn't disqualify one from being an audiophile. For example, if you live and record in the classical and jazz world, it has little relevance.

Hence my apologies sent. Dead-head or not, anyone who loves High Fidelity Music, reproduced with magnets and millivolts as much as I do, is an Audiophile. I am sure I will learn a lot from reading his posts. I once met a man who was in his nineties, who loved to tell tall tales whilst munching on freshly popped Indiana pop corn, and tipping back a draft Heineken in a frozen mug from the keg in a remodeled Frigidaire. On day he said, "Young man, I sometimes think that you don't believe some of the things I have done--which included developing a practical chronometer to gauge muzzle velocity on any handgun, the first hand-wound microphone for the first AM radio station in Indiana, and more...anyhow, he was man of wisdom, and I learned a whole lot from our chats. BTW, I love Jazz and Classical recordings, also. And Morris has long since past, a renaissance man in 1980. I bet he would NOT care for the Grateful Dead either.

It is a test only valid, amongst those who care about that band.

51 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I only need credibility in so far as making a decision that I do or don't like something, just like anybody else. IOW, that's my opinion. Not an absolute, universal condemnation of the genres, just my absolute condemnation of them. Another example: I despise brussels sprouts but love cabbage. Do I need to know why? Do I need to study why? I don't think so. I've tried brussels sprouts, in, I believe, every way that it is possible to prepare them (even raw) and I can't stomach them. End of analysis.

I have heard rap and hip-hop to the extent that I know that there is nothing in either genre for me. Do I need to study them, dissect them, technically or culturally, or justify my personal taste to you or anyone else? Again, no. This has nothing to do with credibility it has to do with taste. There are lots of our audiophile kindered spirits on CA who openly dislike classical music. I suspect that they know as little about classical music as I know about rock, rap and hip-hop. Do I challenge their credibility about the genre because they know little to nothing about it? Do I tell them that they haven't listened to any classical music so their opinion about it is unfounded? Do you do that? All one needs to do is watch or listen or taste something once to know that they don't like it. Becoming an expert on something that one doesn't like probably won't change someones opinion of it. While that's possible that can happen, it's unlikely. 

No problem with your taste at all, George.  I was just correcting a misstatement of fact.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

Only a wee bit.

People frequently mistake change (in language, music, etc.) for deterioration.  Or even insubstantial changes for fundamental ones (e.g., the ancient Greeks railing against the deterioration represented by "youth culture," just as many of us do).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

People frequently mistake change (in language, music, etc.) for deterioration.  Or even insubstantial changes for fundamental ones (e.g., the ancient Greeks railing against the deterioration represented by "youth culture," just as many of us do).

I wouldn't call it so much "youth" but "street" culture.

And whilst it is representative of a phalanx of the developed world population originating from urban USA, it has been pushed (e.g MTV) and absorbed by more or less every society on the planet.

As I have mention previously there are some good examples of relevant production but it is in my opinion mostly of very low quality, both artistic and spiritual.

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

Haha ... peace out ... @bigbob, you and @gmgraves are just going to have to agree to disagree... you're heads are just in different planes, literally... 

I have publicly and privately apologized for my rant to @gmgraves over "Deadhead as the line in the sand for Audiophiles". I don't think it needs to be spoken of again.

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I don't mind some of what the Beach Boys did, I also enjoyed some Jefferson Airplane (especially their "Surrealistic Pillow" album).

Speaking of that seminal album, which always sounded like it was recorded in the men's room of a New York City subway station, it took almost fifty years, but someone finally mastered it properly. On MFSL hybrid SACD and 45rpm/2-disc vinyl:

MFSL2-456-2.jpg

2 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Speaking of that seminal album, which always sounded like it was recorded in the men's room of a New York City subway station, it took almost fifty years, but someone finally mastered it properly. On MFSL hybrid SACD and 45rpm/2-disc vinyl:

MFSL2-456-2.jpg

I haven't heard it for so many years, that I didn't remember anything about its SQ. After posting this PM, I did go to Spotify, and stream White Rabbit  on my office desktop system. You are right, it didn't sound all that good...

George

6 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

MFSL2-456-2.jpg

Completely agreed. Someone should win an award for resurrecting this classic piece of music with this degree of sound quality. I love the SACD! I also just ordered Volunteers in the same format.

JC

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I simply cannot let you off that easily with the analogy you've chosen. There are only seventeen people in the Western Hemisphere that actually like Brussel sprouts! 

JC

8 hours ago, crenca said:

Well, ok.  How about "it is yet more evidence of the collapse of western civilization".  Is that going to far? ;)

8 hours ago Semente said:

Did you say Trump?

I suppose you would have preferred the other candidate that would ultimately have ended Western civilization along with all of us?

JC

2 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I simply cannot let you off that easily with the analogy you've chosen. There are only seventeen people in the Western Hemisphere that actually like Brussel sprouts! 

JC

at least 18....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

15 hours ago, bigbob said:

I don't know much about George, and this exchange began when I was relating to "depth of soundstage" which is obvious on many recordings of the Grateful Dead.

Sure, he could be the Greatest Audiophile in the History of the recorded sound...but even then, audio engineers noted the "Wall of Sound" for it's deployment of a "Direct Monitor".

Without even knowing who the band was, he asserted himself by saying it was "multi-channel monaural--NOT Stereo". I chose to correct His Highness, and then he said "Rock and Rock bands aren't Music".

Blanket statements, and ignorant statements irritate me, and even if Sir Ivor Tiefenbrun  made such a comment, I would challenge him.

Everybody doesn't need to agree about the music they like, but that doesn't give one's opinion to dismiss a whole genre of Music any credibility.

When you consider that it was the Grateful Dead allowed tapers to freely record their concert, when the trading of those tapes encouraged developers to make FLAC, and that really got peer-to-peer file sharing over bit torrent well know. Considering they helped develop in-ear monitors, and countless other innovations, adopted by other live musicians-- they should at least be given their due respect, even if you never heard one of their songs.

An open-mind should be challenged to expand their knowledge, maybe do a Google search and read a Wikipedia post, before planting their foot into their pie-hole.

Classical music is wonderful, JS Bach tempered the scale, and that was quite an accomplishment.

Unfortunately, some think the term "audiophile" is an anointment made by the Sovereign of Audio, and we have a number of examples of that silly snobbery in forums like this. But, because the cost of admission is a keyboard and an ISP, then all opinions or open for discussion by all members with like access.

If one sets themselves up on a pedestal, pontificating non-truths--they ought to know some of the peasants might toss a few tomatoes their way--and that is the Community we call the Internet.

As a deadhead myself I never felt an urge to prove anything to anybody about them and I live easily with the fact that most of people I knew personally do not care about GD.

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

JC

Two of them live in this house. ^_^ (unless you are talking about an obscure band)

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:
  8 hours ago, crenca said:

Well, ok.  How about "it is yet more evidence of the collapse of western civilization".  Is that going to far? ;)

8 hours ago Semente said:

Did you say Trump?

I suppose you would have preferred the other candidate that would ultimately have ended Western civilization along with all of us?

JC

Trump's behaviour is that of a dictator (control the media, identify a foreign menace, take control of the supreme court, unprovoked attack on a sovereign nation unilaterally, etc.).

We will never know what the other candidate would have done but dictators have been know to have started wars...if you know your history.

53 minutes ago, semente said:

Trump's behaviour is that of a dictator (control the media, identify a foreign menace, take control of the supreme court, unprovoked attack on a sovereign nation unilaterally, etc.).

We will never know what the other candidate would have done but dictators have been know to have started wars...if you know your history.

Please no more political comments. Chris has already said he will lock threads that go off on these tangents.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

21 minutes ago, firedog said:

Please no more political comments. Chris has already said he will lock threads that go off on these tangents.

Sorry about that.