IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. 

I'm looking into the font size.

I suspect that only a small percentage of the readability studies is to be trusted...

You've bet on the wrong horse.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Ok, I did not read all 6 pages of comments.  Aren't you glad you took on this project Chris?

I have not spent much time on the new site, but did spend some time reading cached versions on some stuff I was researching.

For me I would like to re-iterate the comments about white space.  A full 1/3 of my browser window width is now white space.  And reading the forum content is painful.  A few words across and paragraphs down and scroll.  It looks like a mobile app.  Also probably already mentioned but the line spacing seems a bit too excessive.

Thanks for listening!  Cheers Chris.

I tend to hate change so take that into consideration.

Off the top, there is too much white space at the expense of information density on the screen.  Also, the font is too fine and small for comfort.

OK.  I don't know how I got here when I was attempting to make a new reply to this thread but...............................How can I mark everything read so that I never see anything old when I return to the site again?

Never mind.  Found it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

First off, Chris, thank you for the massive effort you have put into this. It's very nice and despite the inevitable kinks, I think a baseline improvement over the previous design.

So far I have three comments about possible changes:

1. I find the new, narrower text width to be highly readable. But I think a modest widening - say 20 or 25% maybe - would retain most of the benefits of the readability while also reducing the wasted white space and reducing the need for vertical scrolling
  2. There does seem to be a slight imbalance of contrast, with the very heavy black elements on the one hand, and the very light grey elements (hard to distinguish from the background white sometimes) on the other.
  3. I think the feature where two comments made in quick succession automatically get merged is going to have to go - it's already causing confusion.

Otherwise, I think it's terrific! Thanks again.

I've defined and saved my activity stream so content appears how I prefer. Why does the site not save my preferences? Every time I come back to the site I have to define how the content is displayed again- even though my previous "saved" preferences are listed under "activity".

Once I define my display preferences, shouldn't the site use those, unless I change them?

Thanks. The new site looks nice. 

Still thinking about the width issue. Will see how I respond to it over time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 minutes ago, firedog said:

I've defined and saved my activity stream so content appears how I prefer. Why does the site not save my preferences? Every time I come back to the site I have to define how the content is displayed again- even though my previous "saved" preferences are listed under "activity".

Once I define my display preferences, shouldn't the site use those, unless I change them?

Thanks. The new site looks nice. 

Still thinking about the width issue. Will see how I respond to it over time.

Did you create a new stream on this page and save it? Did you set the stream you want as your default

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/?do=create

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Chris. What is this "Reputation" number mean and more importantly, what is the criteria for assigning a number to a member and who decides? 

That's something I still have to look into. When I imported all the users the site assigned reputation points to them based on something. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Does the Cash List still exist?

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

22 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

First off, Chris, thank you for the massive effort you have put into this. It's very nice and despite the inevitable kinks, I think a baseline improvement over the previous design.

So far I have three comments about possible changes:

1. I find the new, narrower text width to be highly readable. But I think a modest widening - say 20 or 25% maybe - would retain most of the benefits of the readability while also reducing the wasted white space and reducing the need for vertical scrolling
  2. There does seem to be a slight imbalance of contrast, with the very heavy black elements on the one hand, and the very light grey elements (hard to distinguish from the background white sometimes) on the other.
  3. I think the feature where two comments made in quick succession automatically get merged is going to have to go - it's already causing confusion.

Otherwise, I think it's terrific! Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful points. I increased it about 20%. What say you?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful points. I increased it about 20%. What say you?

It's a step in the right direction ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Did you create a new stream on this page and save it? Did you set the stream you want as your default

That's something I still have to look into. When I imported all the users the site assigned reputation points to them based on something. 

I've created a new stream and saved it several times. When I exit the site and then come back, my preference doesn't display. I have to ask for it again each time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

old ca and new ca within a few characters of each other with respect to width, yet you're still unhappy?

Chris, sorry - not meaning to sound "unhappy".  Just that, as you're giving us the opportunity to comment, I thought I'd contribute.

FWIW, here's what it looks like on my screen - an *awful* lot of white space.  Won't mention it again, though:

The New CA Issues and Feedback Thread - Page 6 - General Forum - Computer Audiophile 2017-03-19 19-50-26.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

2 hours ago, mansr said:

I suspect it does that if you make multiple posts with nobody posting in between.

Yes.  The problems are:

- Several people may have posted to the thread in between the first and second original comment to which you replied, though no one posted between your two replies (see how potentially confusing this is to think about?)

- The comments to which you replied may have had two (or more) totally different subjects.

Putting these all together makes these time and subject matter differences feel nonexistent to a reader, potentially leading to confusion; and creates a multi-quoted post the writer may well not have intended.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, ecwl said:

I'm reading this on my iPhone and looks great. Still figuring the site out. The iOS app doesn't seem to work anymore. Will need more time to get used to the change but I love positive change. The website really looks great. And I even clicked on the Musica Pristina ad which looked interesting but pricey. 

So IOS app is dead. Does that also mean Tapatalk is also not going to work?

18 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Chris, sorry - not meaning to sound "unhappy".  Just that, as you're giving us the opportunity to comment, I thought I'd contribute.

FWIW, here's what it looks like on my screen - an *awful* lot of white space.  Won't mention it again, though:

The New CA Issues and Feedback Thread - Page 6 - General Forum - Computer Audiophile 2017-03-19 19-50-26.png

Please reload the page.

17 minutes ago, jjraffin said:

So IOS app is dead. Does that also mean Tapatalk is also not going to work?

Correct.

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You should probably delete it, especially if you don't know what it means. Without context, it's prejudicial (and it's really prejudicial ANYWAY! It makes other responders think that people with low numbers are somehow not worthy to respond to or to even take heed of.). It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of posts one has made. Is it the number of "likes" or "arrow-ups" at the bottom of each post? do they average out between up-arrows and down arrows? Is it an arbitrary number? Who knows?  I think it is inappropriate to this forum. 

George

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Chris, this is about the thumbs up (and down) thing.

My reputation is obviously low because I hardly have posted since the "like" feature was introduced in the old forum.

CAPreview03.png

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)