IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

Did you use the supplied USB 3.0 cable?  If so, try your own USB 2.0 cable.  My guess is, the USB 3.0 bus should be consistent all the way from computer to DAC, otherwise it won't work (connect fails).

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

1 hour ago, thuandb said:

Did you use the supplied USB 3.0 cable?  If so, try your own USB 2.0 cable.  My guess is, the USB 3.0 bus should be consistent all the way from computer to DAC, otherwise it won't work (connect fails).

Thank you for your advice.

I had tried both my USB 2.0 cable and the supplied USB 3.0 cable before I had reported this problem.

Unfortunately, neither did these two cables work.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:13 AM, simonklp said:

Could you please advise how to solve this problem?

Similar experience here.  With iGalvanic in the chain, my micro iDSD is not recognized.

I am using 

PC USB3 port ==> blue USB3 cable ==> iGalvanic ==> USB2 cable ==> female B to female A adapter ==> micro iDSD 

If I instead use

PC USB3 port ==> USB2 cable ==> female B to female A adapter ==> micro iDSD 

everything works.

Big disappointment. Yes, I know I'm supposed to open a ticket.  I just wanted to let @simonklp that he is not alone.

I don't know if this would work with a USB3 cable between the iGalvanic and the micro iDSD because I don't have one!  Besides, there are no audiophile USB3 cables.  I have the iDefender/iPower 5V from the bundle, but I don't really want to play around with them yet.

Hey @simonklp did you get any response from iFi yet?  I think we're having the same problem.  You are right, on the iFi support ticket system it's like iGalvanic3.0 does not exist.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

24 minutes ago, rickca said:

Similar experience here.  With iGalvanic in the chain, my micro iDSD is not recognized.

I am using 

PC USB3 port ==> blue USB3 cable ==> iGalvanic ==> USB2 cable ==> female B to female A adapter ==> micro iDSD 

If I instead use

everything works.

Big disappointment. Yes, I know I'm supposed to open a ticket.  I just wanted to let @simonklp that he is not alone.

I don't know if this would work with a USB3 cable between the iGalvanic and the micro iDSD because I don't have one!  Besides, there are no audiophile USB3 cables.  I have the iDefender/iPower 5V from the bundle, but I don't really want to play around with them yet.

Hey @simonklp did you get any response from iFi yet?  I think we're having the same problem.  You are right, on the iFi support ticket system it's like iGalvanic3.0 does not exist.  

I recall reading that after placing the iGalvanic3.0 in your chain you may need to reinstall the DAC driver. I have ordered but not received mine yet, so can't verify, but perhaps worth a try if you've not done so yet.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

2 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

I recall reading that after placing the iGalvanic3.0 in your chain you may need to reinstall the DAC driver. I have ordered but not received mine yet, so can't verify, but perhaps worth a try if you've not done so yet.

Excellent idea except ... with the iGalvanic3.0 in the chain, you cannot install the iFi micro iDSD driver because it can't detect the DAC!  Catch-22!  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, rickca said:

I am using 

If I instead use

everything works.

Actually WireWorld makes audiophile USB 3.0 cables. 

2 hours ago, rickca said:

I am using 

If I instead use

everything works.

@rickcaThank you for sharing your experience. While it's good to hear that I am not alone, it is bad to know that it's not a seldom problem.

My setup is:

PC ==> JCAT USB Femto Card at PCIe slot ==> USB port at JCAT Card ==> USB3 cable (also tried USB2 cable) ==> iGalvanic3.0 ==> USB2 cable (also tried the Female B to A Adapter) ==> T+A DAC 8 DSD

Originally, I was using Intona in place of iGalvanic3.0 in the above chain (of course, all USB2 cable previously). Everything was working fine originally.

I also haven't played around with the iDefender and iPower 5V from the bundle yet, since I don't believe that they can help to solve the problem.

iFi haven't replied anything nor contacted me up till now except an auto-reply email to acknowledge the receipt of my ticket!

Really looking forward to hearing from them. Wish them could respond more rapidly.

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

As I mentioned in my first report earlier, I  had tried many times to uninstall and re-install the USB driver for the DAC. However, it didn't solve the problem.

24 minutes ago, simonklp said:

iFi haven't replied anything nor contacted me up till now except a auto-reply email to acknowledge the receipt of my ticket!

OK I submitted a ticket as well.  I mention the iDefender/5V iPower only because of this somewhat curious situation of iFi offering a bundle after saying there is no benefit powering the iGalvanic3.0 with other power supplies.

It seems to me we're having the same problem with two different DACs.  

There is definitely power reaching the micro iDSD downstream from the iGalvanic3.0, it's LED lights up and the battery is charging.

I've seen this DAC detection problem with an audiophile USB2 cable that did some filtering. Surely this is the most common use case for iGalvanic3.0 and iFi has tested it extensively. 

I know of at least one other CA member who says his iGalvanic3.0 is working. 

Well, my iGalvanic3.0 can't detect my micro iDSD, but it does work with a 64GB USB3 flash drive.  So it's a mystery.  I even tried it in a red BC1.2 compliant USB3 port on my PC that can handle higher current.  Still no luck detecting the micro iDSD.  

7 hours ago, rickca said:

I am using 

If I instead use

everything works.

Actually WireWorld makes audiophile USB 3.0 cables. 

Are you kidding?  With the iGalvanic3.0 that I'd been patiently waiting for, I'm getting the best sounding setup ever in my room.  It works extremely well with other iFi devices:  Nano iUSB3.0, iDefender, iSilencer, iPurifier2, and DC Purifier.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Guys, we pay attention to what you write here. Here is a short list of things to try:

1. Please make the connection between iG3 and computer last
  2. Please double-check when the iGalvanic3.0 is connected all alone,  is it recognized on the PC (device manager). 
  3. Please check if after connecting the DAC it shows up as "unidentified device" in device manager. This is often a permission issue that stops installation of new hardware.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

2 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Guys, we pay attention to what you write here. Here is a short list of things to try:

1. Please make the connection between iG3 and computer last
  2. Please double-check when the iGalvanic3.0 is connected all alone,  is it recognized on the PC (device manager). 
  3. Please check if after connecting the DAC it shows up as "unidentified device" in device manager. This is often a permission issue that stops installation of new hardware.

1.  I was already making the connection between iGalvanic3.0 and the computer last.  This procedure is documented in the user manual.

2. Yes iGalvanic3.0 shows up in device manager as a Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub under USB Controllers.

3.  After connecting the micro iDSD to the iGalvanic3.0, then connecting the iGalvanic3.0 to the computer, there is no unidentified device in device manager.  However, device manager keeps refreshing every few seconds.  I've never seen this behavior before.  It kept refreshing (blinking) until I disconnected the iGalvanic3.0 from the computer.

10 hours ago, rickca said:

Well, my iGalvanic3.0 can't detect my micro iDSD, but it does work with a 64GB USB3 flash drive.  So it's a mystery.  I even tried it in a red BC1.2 compliant USB3 port on my PC that can handle higher current.  Still no luck detecting the micro iDSD.

Someone else asked this but what if you defeat the isolation (pushing the 3 position switch downwards)?

If know you bought it for it's isolation but just for troubleshooting purposes have you tried this?

17 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Someone else asked this but what if you defeat the isolation (pushing the 3 position switch downwards)?

If know you bought it for it's isolation but just for troubleshooting purposes have you tried this?

I tried it, makes no difference.

@AMR/iFi audio I have found the problem!

The blue USB3 cable that came with the iGalvanic3.0 is defective.  I replaced it with a garden variety USB2 cable, plugged it into a USB3 port on the computer, and the micro iDSD is detected.  I am using the same USB3 port on the computer, and the same USB2 cable between the iGalvanic3.0 and the micro iDSD as before.

So now the question is ... when I used your blue USB3 cable between the computer USB3 port and the iGalvanic3.0, I was able to read a USB3 flash drive plugged into the iGalvanic3.0.  But with this same blue USB3 cable, I could not detect my micro iDSD.  That doesn't make sense, does it?  If the blue USB3 cable is defective, I should not have been able to see the flash drive.

I will update my problem ticket.  I have received no response on it yet other than just the acknowledgement that I opened a ticket.

How do I get iFi to send me a replacement blue USB3 cable?

I thought using a USB3 cable between the computer USB3 port and the iGalvanic3.0 was a requirement, especially with something like the micro iDSD which draws a lot of current when used in bus powered mode (rather than running off the battery).  Can you please explain?

So I guess iFi does QA on the iGalvanic3.0 but not so much on the USB3 cable.