IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

OK, I checked this, it works when playback is stopped. Browser sends all those settings when you change the volume and I had to add prevention that it doesn't allow changing settings on the fly and wreak havoc. Volume is part of that piece because it is part of that form...

This stuff needs some refactoring to make it work during playback...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Question about Embedded. Right now I am running Debian OS. I am planning on upgrading and changing to Ubuntu 18.04 so I can run a Cuda based GPU. Will the web interface change to include a Cuda selection box, or will I have to manually change the value in the hqplayerd.xml file? Apparently those values don’t ‘stick’ when you do something like select new filters and ‘Apply’. Would this mean re-editing the configuration file each time I change something else? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

How do you have the cover images stored?

If you share those with some suitable UPnP Media Server.

album covers show up fine in web interface and when using hqplayer 3 on windows.Just no covers in hqplayer client on hqpalyer embedded.

16 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

album covers show up fine in web interface and when using hqplayer 3 on windows.Just no covers in hqplayer client on hqpalyer embedded.

Do you get the placeholder album cover (gray one) instead, or just blank items? If it shows up in the web interface, then it certainly should show up also on the client. Are you running Client on Windows?

5 hours ago, sledwards said:

Question about Embedded. Right now I am running Debian OS. I am planning on upgrading and changing to Ubuntu 18.04 so I can run a Cuda based GPU. Will the web interface change to include a Cuda selection box, or will I have to manually change the value in the hqplayerd.xml file? Apparently those values don’t ‘stick’ when you do something like select new filters and ‘Apply’. Would this mean re-editing the configuration file each time I change something else? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

Yes it needs manual editing of the configuration file. These are settings typically configured by the device manufacturer, so they don't appear in the web interface.

The values do stick, but if you edit the configuration file behind hqplayerd's back, you need to restart hqplayerd afterwards to make it reload the configuration. Otherwise if you go to some configuration page and save the configuration before it has been reloaded, the one based on the information held in RAM ends up overwriting the file and your modifications get lost.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

Do you get the placeholder album cover (gray one) instead, or just blank items? If it shows up in the web interface, then it certainly should show up also on the client. Are you running Client on Windows?

Client on windows.Just get artist and format and blank no picture

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK, strange, I suspect then problem fetching the covers, for example connecting to the server...

HQPlayer Embedded running on HQPlayer OS or Ubuntu Server?

client-screenshot.thumb.png.59e0a543ba6405abeb2688cca6ef9690.png

Strange that photos show up in web interface

Tip for Linux neophytes:

The easiest way to run Linux commands, edit config files, etc is via SSH from a Mac or Windows PC.  This gives you the familiar conveniences of a GUI OS such as copy/paste, using the mouse to select and edit text, etc.

Q:  Does the Bootable Image for Embedded include sshd?

(fwiw, I'm not using Embedded anymore, but I experimented with installing it on Ubuntu Server before Desktop 4 obviated my reason for trying Embedded.  I'm a total Linux neophyte myself, but my discovering the SSH approach saved me much aggravation.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Hi @Miska

On one of my Embedded machines (i7-7700) I had PCM88kHz->DSD128 + ext2 + ASDM7EC working fine, before yesterday's hqplayerd_4.11.1-31_amd64.deb HQPe update.

But after yesterday's HQPe update I get some skipping.

I noticed one core is always high (~98%), reaching 100% sometimes.

Overall CPU loading (average) looks fine though.

This is running your custom kernel and headers (4.9.158-jl+_13_amd64.deb) on minimal Debian server.

image.png.948f30d9a5268ce748a228a8f72167f2.png

10 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Q:  Does the Bootable Image for Embedded include sshd?

For security reasons no, there are too many examples on the internet where devices are left with default login passwords and as result used for malicious purposes.

The image is supposed to be like device firmware, plug-and-play without need for logging in ever. I've still added some tools there for basic things.

For more complex setups it is better to go with normal Linux distributions like Ubuntu Server, minimal Debian 9 or Fedora 30 Minimal. On these, one can install ssh server, Samba server, have some additional file system support and such. And that way have all the possible flexibility.

Otherwise the bootable image would quickly start looking just like those distributions mentioned above which would make it's point moot.

2 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

will the revisions to HQP embedded for improving performance with EC modulator use cases be included in an HQP desktop update?

Yes, Embedded 4.11.1 matches Desktop 4.1.0. Main point of the release was to bring Embedded in turn on the same level as Desktop.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, Embedded 4.11.1 matches Desktop 4.1.0. Main point of the release was to bring Embedded in turn on the same level as Desktop.

Apologies for this ultimate beginner‘s question but what is the basic difference between the embedded and desktop version? (Linux and I  exist in 2 different dimensions)

My guess is that embedded is command prompt only versus gui, correct? ☺️

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

Apologies for this ultimate beginner‘s question but what is the basic difference between the embedded and desktop version? (Linux and I  exist in 2 different dimensions)

My guess is that embedded is command prompt only versus gui, correct? ☺️

Yes, Embedded is "headless". Intended as "streamer firmware" where you have just black box that you turn on and off. All the control is elsewhere. Second main difference is that Embedded functions also as a UPnP Renderer which Desktop doesn't.

I have matrix set up for 5.1 downmixing to 2 channel as documented in embedded.  I also have an ir.wav file set for each channel.  Works fine for 2 and 5 channel flac.  The problem is with stereo 64 dsf converting to 192khz - cpu usage more than doubles to 80%.  If I switch to convolution instead of matrix usage drops almost in half.  Matrix seems to offer more than convolution except for the overlap settings.  Why are there two options, what are the differences? 

23 hours ago, Miska said:

On 7/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, Miska said:

I have some optimization ideas how to possibly make things faster, so it may get better in future...

@Miska

So when Desktop first got the EC modulators, on 7/18, they were better optimized than on Embedded. And now Embedded has been updated, so they match. 

Based on the timing of your comments, it sounds like you have even further EC modulator optimizations in mind. Is that correct?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

3 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

The Signalyst Hqplayer embedded img contains an optimized OS and therefore does not need audio linux, etc.., correct?

Correct. Boots from USB. It's self contained.

Just need a web browser (laptop, tablet, phone) to choose your HQP settings.