IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

4 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Thx, why would one then want to install a different OS like Audio Linux?

I have a couple HQP Embedded machines. On one of them, I need a different OS so that I can run both Roon alongside HQP on the same machine (and some other stuff I do in Linux). I run Debian on that machine.

On the other, I run just Jussi's USB bootable OS. There are some on other threads claiming better SQ with Audio Linux so you'd have to ask them... I've tried it and prefer Jussi's USB bootable HQP OS myself.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

I have a couple HQP Embedded machines. On one of them, I need a different OS so that I can run both Roon alongside HQP on the same machine (and some other stuff I do in Linux). I run Debian on that machine.

On the other, I run just Jussi's USB bootable OS. There are some on other threads claiming better SQ with Audio Linux so you'd have to ask them... I've tried it and prefer Jussi's USB bootable HQP OS myself.

I am curious as to why you would run Roon (as an end point or core) and HQPLAYERD on the same machine?

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

So that I don't need to buy another separate machine for Roon Core...

Thanks, and here comes my last question (not wanting to go off topic): Any performance issues with that setup? I am asking because I want to modify my current signal chain and would like to consider all alternatives.  

28 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Thanks, and here comes my last question (not wanting to go off topic): Any performance issues with that setup? I am asking because I want to modify my current signal chain and would like to consider all alternatives.  

Not off topic at all. Good question.

If you're pushing HQP to the end capabilities of your machine, then there's not much room for Roon to work without sending things 'over the edge'.

So I guess it depends what you're doing with HQP and what the capabilities of your machine are, whether you'll be ok with Roon running on the same machine.

In my case I know what the machine can and can't do with Roon running on the same machine and I'm happy enough with what it can do.

Hi @Miska

If running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with HQP Embedded, is there an easy (and reliable) way to have Tidal audio (via Chrome browser) feeding HQPe input?

Or is the only way to connect a Chromecast Audio + miniDSP USBStreamer ?

To get Tidal audio from Chrome Browser (for example) it seems like a complex way to send the audio data out of the HQPe machine over the network, only to then have it come back into the same machine.

Is there an easier (but also stable) way, specifically with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Obviously Roon supports Tidal, but there's a few things better with the official Tidal page (and app), that I like to use sometimes.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

If running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with HQP Embedded, is there an easy (and reliable) way to have Tidal audio (via Chrome browser) feeding HQPe input?

If it is on the same computer, you can use ALSA loopback device. It has it's own small strange things, but it should work.

Browser based Tidal is not very good idea though, it may not be bit-perfect input to HQPlayer.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Or is the only way to connect a Chromecast Audio + miniDSP USBStreamer ?

What I have is Mac Mini (with macOS) doing output to AES which is connected to RME interface input to HQPlayer Embedded. Probably there are number of "streamer devices" with digital output that fit the bill, in addition to Chromecast Audio. But Chromecast Audio is absolutely cheapest and simplest device and with optical output has full isolation.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Obviously Roon supports Tidal, but there's a few things better with the official Tidal page (and app), that I like to use sometimes.

For Tidal, I use their app quite a lot and also Conversdigital's mConnect Player. Because this are simple to use from my mobile phones (both iOS and Android). I get same experience on both phone OS. And of course Spotify app too the same way.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 7/26/2019 at 5:29 AM, audiofool said:

I have matrix set up for 5.1 downmixing to 2 channel as documented in embedded.  I also have an ir.wav file set for each channel.  Works fine for 2 and 5 channel flac.  The problem is with stereo 64 dsf converting to 192khz - cpu usage more than doubles to 80%.  If I switch to convolution instead of matrix usage drops almost in half.  Matrix seems to offer more than convolution except for the overlap settings.  Why are there two options, what are the differences? 

Convolution setup is simpler, for room correction purposes. Matrix things offer mixing, channel routing and such, but with cost of added processing complexity.

I would be using Convolution most of the time for dsf and pcm and Matrix only occassionally for a few multichannel pcm files.  I believe I read that Convolution and Matrix are mutually exclusive.  I assume only one should be enabled at a time?  What happens with both enabled?  Is it ok to have Speakers Enabled at the same time as Convolution or Matrix in order to do minor balance adjustments?

34 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @Miska

Are you going to be supporting Debian Stretch till June 2020 (LTS EOL date)?

Can't edit my above post but I meant "til June 2022 (Stretch LTS EOL date)?"

If not, you will make an announcement when you will stop Stretch support and moving to Buster?

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Can't edit my above post but I meant "til June 2022 (Stretch LTS EOL date)?"

If not, you will make an announcement when you will stop Stretch support and moving to Buster?

I'm moving over to Buster. Just need some time to do it. Meanwhile the Stretch package may already work on Buster (I have not tested).

On Ubuntu, I move over to new LTS when previous becomes upgradeable to the new one, which in case of Ubuntu is .1 release. On Debian, new releases are supposed to be upgradeable immediately.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:44 PM, audiofool said:

I would be using Convolution most of the time for dsf and pcm and Matrix only occassionally for a few multichannel pcm files.  I believe I read that Convolution and Matrix are mutually exclusive.  I assume only one should be enabled at a time?  What happens with both enabled?  Is it ok to have Speakers Enabled at the same time as Convolution or Matrix in order to do minor balance adjustments?

Yes, they are mutually exclusive. If you happen to accidentally have both enabled at the same time, it should still work in fairly reasonable way, but it is not really recommended because it becomes a bit confusing and thus prone to configuration errors. Speakers can be enabled in all cases.

Did trial version 4 with windows,linux and HQPlayer embedded.In windows and linux can do all dsd 256 filters with all modulators including the new ec ones.HQPlayer embedded not able to use new modulators at 256 as get stuttering.Why does it only stutter on embedded version /HQPlayer embedded sounds the best to me.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, baconbrain said:

I am curious as to why you would run Roon (as an end point or core) and HQPLAYERD on the same machine?

I run Roon Core and HQPlayer Embedded on an Intel NUC7i7. HQPlayerd upsamples to DSD128 and performs no further processing. The Intel NUC can handle this load so, I have no need to use use further hardware. It works for me this way.

14 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Did trial version 4 with windows,linux and HQPlayer embedded.In windows and linux can do all dsd 256 filters with all modulators including the new ec ones.HQPlayer embedded not able to use new modulators at 256 as get stuttering.Why does it only stutter on embedded version /HQPlayer embedded sounds the best to me.

Did you use Desktop 4.1.0 and Embedded 4.11.1? These two largely match in terms of DSP optimizations.

But I will continue trying to improve EC modulator optimizations to make them more available on various hardware.

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

Did you use Desktop 4.1.0 and Embedded 4.11.1? These two largely match in terms of DSP optimizations.

But I will continue trying to improve EC modulator optimizations to make them more available on various hardware.

Yes

15 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Did trial version 4 with windows,linux and HQPlayer embedded.In windows and linux can do all dsd 256 filters with all modulators including the new ec ones.

What is your exact CPU model?