IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

24 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Ah yes!! That was what prompted my question - I wondered why the HQP OS wouldn't have been developed to use CUDA?

No idea. Maybe to keep HQP OS as lean as possible? 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

2 hours ago, craighartley said:

Ah yes!! That was what prompted my question - I wondered why the HQP OS wouldn't have been developed to use CUDA?

Because Nvidia drivers are fundamentally incompatible with the kernel used in HQPlayer OS... And this is combined with the things needded to build CUDA support into HQPlayer. This combination is tricky enough that I don't try to support anything else than what Nvidia officially supports.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Because Nvidia drivers are fundamentally incompatible with the kernel used in HQPlayer OS... And this is combined with the things needded to build CUDA support into HQPlayer. This combination is tricky enough that I don't try to support anything else than what Nvidia officially supports.

Thank you for explaining. If I can summon up the courage (as a complete novice with Linux) I may try Ubuntu with Embedded and CUDA offload. 

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thank you for explaining. If I can summon up the courage (as a complete novice with Linux) I may try Ubuntu with Embedded and CUDA offload. 

If you look earlier in the thread there is a document in PDF format on how to get embedded installed under Ubuntu and Debian.  Let me know if you are unable to find it and I will repost it.  The only thing missing from the document is how to get CUDA working under Ubuntu.  I do not have the nVidia card so never attempted the install and verification process.

If someone wants to share the exact steps I can add it to the document and post the updated document.

33 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

If you look earlier in the thread there is a document in PDF format on how to get embedded installed under Ubuntu and Debian.  Let me know if you are unable to find it and I will repost it.  The only thing missing from the document is how to get CUDA working under Ubuntu.  I do not have the nVidia card so never attempted the install and verification process.

If someone wants to share the exact steps I can add it to the document and post the updated document.

@shadowlight and @craighartley .

We were just discussing all the steps yesterday from here and onwards:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56966-hqplayer4-ec-modulator-tips-and-techniques/?do=findComment&comment=981190

Thanks to @k6davis and @sledwards

My summary of the steps:

1. Install latest GPU driver: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/

These are .run files. To install .run files via command line see:

https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-execute-a-run-or-bin-file-in-ubuntu

2. nano /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml

These are the values in the config file to change:

Cuda:

Attribute: cuda
Offload part of the processing to GPU using Nvidia CUDA.
Values:
    0 : Disabled
    1 : Enabled
    convolution : Convolution engine only

Multicore:

Attribute: multicore Enables multicore processing splitting work to higher number of processing units. Also used with GPU offload. Values:     auto : Automatic configuration     0    : Disabled     1    : Enabled

Change values in the config file.

Save the changes.

Run sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd to restart the server with the changes you just made - or else the web interface will overwrite them.

3. To monitor GPU activity via command line

nvtop - terminal user interface to monitor Nvidia GPUs

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/06/2-tools-for-monitoring-nvidia-gpus-on.html

Or once you get the latest driver installed, you can type: sudo nvidia-smi to get GPU process info too.

The only thing I would add to the above is that Cuda and Multicore have an impact on each other. 

In my case, and this is true of both Desktop and Embedded, the system operates well with either:

• Cuda off & Multicore "Auto"
  • Cuda on & Multicore "off"

Having both of them on at same time caused the CPU utilization to run unacceptably high. So the point is to experiment with the options for Multicore - especially when using Cuda.

Very importantly, you can use the command "htop" to monitor the CPU usage in Linux.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

The latest version of Embedded is for Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS.

Deleted

On 8/12/2019 at 12:28 AM, shadowlight said:

There are recommendations on the Ubuntu site to verify the iso file after download via various extra downloaded files using terminal commands. Do I need to worry about doing this, as I can’t get it to work?

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

There are recommendations on the Ubuntu site to verify the iso file after download via various extra downloaded files using terminal commands. Do I need to worry about doing this, as I can’t get it to work?

I have never verified the iso download but you can do that as an extra step.  What’s the error message you are seeing?  The one thing that I always made sure was the usb drive was blank before I used Rufus to write the image.  The other thing is to make sure is that bios is set correctly for the boot option.

Are you using mini iso or the full server?  I have never gotten mini iso to boot under uefi and always had to use legacy.

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

I have never verified the iso download but you can do that as an extra step.  What’s the error message you are seeing?  The one thing that I always made sure was the usb drive was blank before I used Rufus to write the image.  The other thing is to make sure is that bios is set correctly for the boot option.

Are you using mini iso or the full server?  I have never gotten mini iso to boot under uefi and always had to use legacy.

Thanks. I'm using ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso downloaded direct from the main Ubuntu download page.

I'm not using Rufus as I'm using Mac to do the download and create the bootable usb (my Windows computer is remote and stripped to serve Audio only). I'm using Etcher. That worked fine for creating the HQP OS bootable disk version.

The instructions are to check the downloaded file after download before creating the bootable disk. So I've been doing that on Terminal in Mac (I obviously don't have Linux installed yet). The error messages are that the additional downloaded check files are missing. Maybe the instructions only work under Linux?!

If there's not a good reason to doubt the iso then I'll just go ahead and miss out the checking step.

11 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. I'm using ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso downloaded direct from the main Ubuntu download page.

I'm not using Rufus as I'm using Mac to do the download and create the bootable usb (my Windows computer is remote and stripped to serve Audio only). I'm using Etcher. That worked fine for creating the HQP OS bootable disk version.

The instructions are to check the downloaded file after download before creating the bootable disk. So I've been doing that on Terminal in Mac (I obviously don't have Linux installed yet). The error messages are that the additional downloaded check files are missing. Maybe the instructions only work under Linux?!

If there's not a good reason to doubt the iso then I'll just go ahead and miss out the checking step.

I thought it was just standard check sum.  I will take a look at it tomorrow night.

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

I thought it was just standard check sum.  I will take a look at it tomorrow night.

Thank you. I should point out that I’ve little idea what you mean by ‘standard check sum’ in this context. And that was probably my problem in that the instructions (not your manual - I mean the ones from Canonical that stumped me before I even got started) assume some sort of familiarity with the processes involved, and as I said above, I’m a novice. 

@craighartley Were you able to get it to work?

On 8/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, craighartley said:

No, in that I’m still trying to decide whether to ignore the download checking stage. 

Are you running the following command in the same directory that you downloaded the iso file under?

echo "b9beac143e36226aa8a0b03fc1cbb5921cff80123866e718aaeba4edb81cfa63 *ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso" | shasum -a 256 --check

The above command is for file that is downloaded from http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.3/ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso

38 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Are you running the following command in the same directory that you downloaded the iso file under?

echo "b9beac143e36226aa8a0b03fc1cbb5921cff80123866e718aaeba4edb81cfa63 *ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso" | shasum -a 256 --check

The above command is for file that is downloaded from http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.3/ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso

No I haven't run that, but I'll try it now.  I was following the instructions on https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-how-to-verify-ubuntu?_ga=2.111791052.952874976.1565889630-109600700.1565475611#5