IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

8 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

In Audiolinux last menu version you can copy the original configuration file with the option 4 "HQPLAYER copy default configuration" in AUDIO menu and after you can reconfigure HQPlayer from web page.

This way I have a new xml file, it is much bigger that the old one (1KB versus 10kB), I could change the multicore value from auto to 1.

Result: HPQE now uses 6 core from 10 with 70-80% usage and with multicore option 1, and with 6 cores utilization and I had dropoutes also with DSD128! 

I don't understand it! A switched back the multicore option to auto and I could play music without problems with 2 used cores. This whole thing has no logic to me!

I tried several kernel also but I couldn't find differencies in the playing mechanism.

Just wanted to provide an update on an issue I had before with HQPe fingerprint changes. After testing both Audiolinux and Ubuntu Focal it turned out something in an Ubuntu update apparently (as I never figured what it was) changed temporarily the license fingerprint, going back to Audiolinux and after updating Ubuntu again the fingerprint was rock steady, even changing and renaming of the network adapters the fingerprint was consistent.

I suspect the issue I experienced initially might have been related to the custom wired Realtek new chipset driver (not supported on kernels 4.9 and such) , I looked for an Intel on board network card on every manufacturer board B550 and X570 but my Hdplex H5 won't allow tall VRM heatsinks on the left side of the board as these will block the copper pipes setup. So the few boards that fit have the Realtek which for me at least for now a necessary evil. If you can, avoid the Realtek like the plague and go with Intel.

Let me add that IMO keeping consistency with the driver and fingerprint Audiolinux in my case worked better.

Just wanted to provide an update as my previous comment might have pointed Audiolinux as the cause of my problem and it really wasn't.

1 hour ago, luisma said:

Hi Miska, I noticed you mentioned you are waiting to get the newer AMD video card 6800 IIRC, does this means HQPe should be able to use the AMD RDNA video card as an alternative to Nvidia for convolution and filter offload possibly with better performance that Nvidia?

Yes, it is supposed to be alternative for Nvidia. Performance is something that remains to be seen...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, adamthebrave said:

This way I have a new xml file, it is much bigger that the old one (1KB versus 10kB), I could change the multicore value from auto to 1.

Result: HPQE now uses 6 core from 10 with 70-80% usage and with multicore option 1, and with 6 cores utilization and I had dropoutes also with DSD128! 

I don't understand it! A switched back the multicore option to auto and I could play music without problems with 2 used cores. This whole thing has no logic to me!

It is set to "auto" by default on purpose. With certain hardware you can also set multicore to "1" and it may perform better in some limited number of cases. But the auto-configuration is best choice most of the time.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It is set to "auto" by default on purpose. With certain hardware you can also set multicore to "1" and it may perform better in some limited number of cases. But the auto-configuration is best choice most of the time.

Thanks.

Can you tell what can my problem cause? why can't I no convert to DSD256 without glitches?

1 hour ago, adamthebrave said:

Can you tell what can my problem cause? why can't I no convert to DSD256 without glitches?

What are your HQPlayer settings? You seem to have lot of load on many cores.

Does the CPU reach full turbo clock of 4.3 GHz while playing?

Have you tried with HQPlayer OS (because this is something I can compare against).

7 hours ago, adamthebrave said:

Thanks.

May try Audiolinux  HQPe 4.22 with ROCm enabled package if available ?

blackhole said it is available on request ?

With my i7 8700 build ( 6 core Max at 4.6 GHz )  it cannot do DSD256 7EC-ext2 since HQPe 4.19, only can do DSD128 but its SQ is better than DSD256 under previous versions of  HQPe such as 4.14 etc.

Under Debian 11 installed with Ubuntu focal HQPe 4.22.0-62 which has ROCm enabled, step 3 completed, no AMD graphic card, now this i7 8700 build can do DSD256 7EC-ext2 without stuttering,  multicore set to auto, the CPU usage of two CPUs being around 90 % , having almost decreased 10 % ! 

17 hours ago, maya said:

Got it, thanks again !

Hi Jussi,

My hqplayerd.xml has no rocm only cuda,  will it only be present if there is AMD graphic card running in the system?

My Debian 11 OS has done step 3 of ROCm installation.

I also have installed AMD graphic driver onto Debian 11 with no error.

Thanks

On 2/11/2021 at 4:50 AM, Miska said:

There's now a special build of HQPlayer Desktop for Linux (Ubuntu Focal), under "other downloads" section. Optimized for recent AMD CPUs, but also works on recent Intel CPUs. Note that this special build doesn't include GPU support.

On my 5800X CPU, this build has a bit over 60% CPU load on the modulator cores when doing ASDM7EC to DSD256. Instead of the usual 90+% of the regular build.

With this version, it is also possible to have Multicore DSP checked and still ASDM7EC working to DSD256 on the 5800X. However, the loads just increase so much that it doesn't make practical sense.

Tomorrow I'll check this build more on Intel CPUs too.

Hi Jussi,

So after installing the AMD 6800 video card with the help of ROCm optimization, there is chance to run DSD512 7EC-ex2 with your 5800X build !

48 minutes ago, maya said:

Hi Jussi,

So after installing the AMD 6800 video card with the help of ROCm optimization, there is chance to run DSD512 7EC-ex2 with your 5800X build !

To me that sounds very optimistic, but maybe you can do DSD512 Sinc-L which will also be a milestone.😎

3 hours ago, maya said:

My hqplayerd.xml has no rocm only cuda,  will it only be present if there is AMD graphic card running in the system?

My Debian 11 OS has done step 3 of ROCm installation.

I also have installed AMD graphic driver onto Debian 11 with no error.

No, you need to manually add it yourself, because it is experimental feature which may not work or may crash.

And of course it doesn't do anything if there's no suitable AMD GPU on the system.

It works essentially the same on AMD graphics cards as CUDA on Nvidia cards.

3 hours ago, maya said:

No, it is not related, I don't have the 6800 XT yet, I have it on order, but nobody has it in stock yet. I'm not using any ROCm support.

And GPUs cannot help with modulators.

7 hours ago, maya said:

Under Debian 11 installed with Ubuntu focal HQPe 4.22.0-62 which has ROCm enabled, step 3 completed, no AMD graphic card

So you are running regular build without ROCm enabled. If you don't have AMD graphics card, there's no ROCm in play at all. So you are using the build optimized primarily for Intel CPUs.

You'd get better performance on AMD CPU system by using the AMD optimized build that doesn't have ROCm support.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

So you are running regular build without ROCm enabled. If you don't have AMD graphics card, there's no ROCm in play at all. So you are using the build optimized primarily for Intel CPUs.

Many thanks for your reply !

I saw in the build info of these latest versions of HQPe, there are ten rocxxx packages included,

so these will take effect while the system is having an AMD graphic card.

Now I am running on regular mode of focal HQPe 4.22.062, the 20% more decreased CPU usage is derived from optimized magic for Intel CPU !

That's great !

So if  put an AMD graphic into my system then there could be further enhancements to anticipate !

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, you need to manually add it yourself, because it is experimental feature which may not work or may crash.

And of course it doesn't do anything if there's no suitable AMD GPU on the system.

It works essentially the same on AMD graphics cards as CUDA on Nvidia cards.

No, it is not related, I don't have the 6800 XT yet, I have it on order, but nobody has it in stock yet. I'm not using any ROCm support.

And GPUs cannot help with modulators.

You'd get better performance on AMD CPU system by using the AMD optimized build that doesn't have ROCm support.

Jussi,

Just to be clear:

Are you saying there are four different builds of Hqplayer embedded?

1) CPU : AMD :GPU: AMD

2) CPU : AMD :GPU: Nvidia

3) CPU : Intel :GPU: AMD

4) CPU : Intel :GPU: Nvidia

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

18 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Just to be clear:

Are you saying there are four different builds of Hqplayer embedded?

1) CPU : AMD :GPU: AMD

2) CPU : AMD :GPU: Nvidia

3) CPU : Intel :GPU: AMD

4) CPU : Intel :GPU: Nvidia

No...

1. Regular Ubuntu build with support for Nvidia and AMD GPUs (Intel specific optimizations)
  2. Ubuntu build optimized for latest AMD CPUs
  3. HQPlayer OS build for x64
  4. HQPlayer OS build for RPi4
  5. Debian Buster build for x64
  6. Debian Buster build for arm64
  7. Fedora build for x64

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No...

1. Regular Ubuntu build with support for Nvidia and AMD GPUs (Intel specific optimizations)
  7. Fedora build for x64

For the first build would like to ask:

If Ubuntu not installing step 3 of RCOm then NO Intel specific optimization ? 

Thanks

15 minutes ago, maya said:

For the first build would like to ask:

If Ubuntu not installing step 3 of RCOm then NO Intel specific optimization ? 

It is unrelated. The code that runs on CPU is what it is, and then the code that runs on GPU is what it is. These are two separate things.

14 minutes ago, maya said:

ROCm installed on Debian 11

Now to make use of it, you need to have AMD GPU, load the display driver kernel module and then enable the support in HQPlayer configuration. With some luck it works the same as CUDA, or it may not work at all...

3 hours ago, Miska said:

No...

7. Fedora build for x64

OK thanks, got it!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It is unrelated. The code that runs on CPU is what it is, and then the code that runs on GPU is what it is. These are two separate things.

Now to make use of it, you need to have AMD GPU, load the display driver kernel module and then enable the support in HQPlayer configuration. With some luck it works the same as CUDA, or it may not work at all...

Thanks again !

Will try later 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, Miska said:

Please check the installation instructions on my web page. Related to this error you need to add AMD's ROCm repository and then "sudo apt install -f" will do the rest:

https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/Installation_Guide/Installation-Guide.html#ubuntu

Note! You only need to do Step 2, do "sudo apt update", and nothing else. This is enough to make "apt install -f" succeed.

Thank you.  I have not kept up with all the updates so was using my old tried and true commands.

Can I install amd optimized package for Intel also?

29 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Thank you.  I have not kept up with all the updates so was using my old tried and true commands.

Can I install amd optimized package for Intel also?

Yes you can, I have it on some of my Intel based servers too. It just requires AVX2 support from the CPU, but any fairly recent Intel CPU has it.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:21 AM, Miska said:

OK, found the problem and "fixed" it for next release.

I again tried my Debian 11 running i7 8700 wihout video card,  installed with Ubuntu focal HQPe 4.22.0-62 which completed step 3 having  rocm-libs and rocm-dkms installed.

While playing DSD128 7ECext2

Its CPU usage is at 44 %. It also can play DSD256 7ECex2 at 90% CPU usage!

Wheras also in  Debian 11 installed with Debian Buster HQPe 4.22.0-61 in which No  installation of rocm-libs etc, playing DSD128 7ECext2, the CPU usage is 74 %,

It cannot play DSD256 without stuttering.

So how is this  30% decrease in CPU usage coming from ?

Surely from the latest  4.22.0-62 build,  but even when ROCm packages installed but Not enabled ?

Anybody here, under Ubuntu Distro  with focal HQPe 4.22.0-62 and having ROCm packages installed, has the same experience?

20210218_131847.jpg

20210218_122719.jpg