IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

@luisma Did I read correctly in another thread that you are using wireless with embedded? Were you previously using a wired connection? Two different MAC addresses could perhaps trigger the fingerprint change. For example, the LAN on my motherboard died and I replaced it with a network card -- that required a new key. The number of people using Embedded with wireless is possibly so extremely low that this particular issue has never come up.

43 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Were you previously using a wired connection? Two different MAC addresses could perhaps trigger the fingerprint change

Thank you that's quite possible, I have wired upstairs and wireless downstairs, I have no video except when I plug the PC upstairs with an extra video card. When setting up the PC it is possible I used the wired connection and then switched to wireless (leaving the wired configured but unplugged) the macs were always the same, both interfaces are onboard. I'm doing some testing and will figure out (at least I hope) how this happened.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the video is not the reason or counts toward the fingerprint, I use another computers video card to setup and then remove it and run the computer with no video attached

EDIT 2: I mean if all that counts I can certainly request a key from the final system to be used, it is just my understanding was the fingerprint was generated based on motherboard and cpu alone, no other changing factors like ram, video or even mac addresses which could change with adding or removing cards.

EDIT 3: But it could be archlinux reporting different than Ubuntu who knows

EDIT 4: So many edits :), at the end it doesn't really matters, I am an isolated case from what I can see so all is good.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Mine is 14 GB.

Thanks Jussi

My Debian 11  ROCm HQPe 4.21.1.60 OS is 9.6G under Gparted it is  installed onto a 16G Optane, working well with my customized 5.7 Kernel ! 

It can decease CPU usage by nearly 30 % although it is an Intel CPU without graphic card system  !

Great ! 

Thanks !

10 minutes ago, maya said:

Thanks Jussi

My Debian 11  ROCm HQPe 4.21.1.60 OS is 9.6G under Gparted it is  installed onto a 16G Optane, working well with my customized 5.7 Kernel ! 

It can decease CPU usage by nearly 30 % although it is an Intel CPU without graphic card system  !

Great ! 

Thanks !

20210209_135403.jpg

42 minutes ago, Miska said:

Of course still big compared to HQPlayer OS which is 974 MB of which 524 MB is /lib/firmware containing firmware binaries for various hardware, going mostly unused. So the actual OS plus HQPlayer takes 450 MB, that I think is fairly compact.

So my 32 GB Optane is really a waste for HQPlaxer OS. 🙂 I will have a look for a 16 GB Optane instead. Thanks to @maya for bumping me to the 16 GB version.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

14 hours ago, luisma said:

Thank you that's quite possible, I have wired upstairs and wireless downstairs, I have no video except when I plug the PC upstairs with an extra video card. When setting up the PC it is possible I used the wired connection and then switched to wireless (leaving the wired configured but unplugged) the macs were always the same, both interfaces are onboard. I'm doing some testing and will figure out (at least I hope) how this happened.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the video is not the reason or counts toward the fingerprint, I use another computers video card to setup and then remove it and run the computer with no video attached

EDIT 2: I mean if all that counts I can certainly request a key from the final system to be used, it is just my understanding was the fingerprint was generated based on motherboard and cpu alone, no other changing factors like ram, video or even mac addresses which could change with adding or removing cards.

EDIT 3: But it could be archlinux reporting different than Ubuntu who knows

EDIT 4: So many edits :), at the end it doesn't really matters, I am an isolated case from what I can see so all is good.

May I ask what kind wifi used in your HQPe System? Onboard or Wifi adapter ? 

Could you be more specifically to tell what are these as I tried to use wifi in HQPe with failure before.

9 hours ago, maya said:

May I ask what kind wifi used in your HQPe System? Onboard or Wifi adapter ? 

Onboard wifi included with the Gigabyte B550i AORUS PRO AX, Wifi 6

9 hours ago, maya said:

Could you be more specifically to tell what are these as I tried to use wifi in HQPe with failure before.

Please I don't want to that guy but if you read my post again you will notice that I'm just trying to describe my environment on which unfortunately I am forced to rely on Wifi, at the same time on my post I mentioned you should not use Wifi as it is unreliable, will create issues, and HQPlayer won't support it, I tried once to stream from HQPe Server to an NAA Wifi and it FAILED and it will fail on every environment at least with the current technologies, so HQPe --> WIFI --> NO NO NO

What I tried doing was isolating Roon and testing streaming audio from Roon --> HQPe over Wifi, it worked for 2 hours on my listening session 2 nights ago, this doesn't mean it won't fail tonight or tomorrow, I don't have enough evidence or empirical testing yet on my environment, on my house. As a matter of fact I am 100% sure that if instead of streaming from Roon I played DSD files from Roon to HQPe wireless it will fail or break eventually, so if you have a local library this most likely won't work.

I hate Wifi and love cables, nothing is as reliable as a good copper cable, I have been doing networks for a living since 1994 and working with computers since 1980 and if there is something I learned over these years is I despise Wifi, powerline and any other invention created to go around wired copper of fiber because it usually has many drawbacks  (BTW I prefer copper over fiber when possible contrary to many here but that's another story).

Another thing I do for a living is design, sell and install Wifi networks for small, medium, large, government, state and 100k to 300k warehouses (a la Amazon style), there is another Wifi niche which is big skyscrapers where you have 300 - 500 visible SSID's and wireless networks competing with yours and most companies installing Wifis using the cheapo ones will fail miserably because they don't do a survey and they don't use multiple radios AP's with a controller using a technology to eliminate de-authentication frames  which is something that kills your Wifi (not allowing you to connect to your same SSID right next to you) shall you be in a crowded environment like apartment buildings and such . I know I sound pedantic but my objective is not to flare my experience on your face and feel especial but just for you to know that I know a thing or two about wireless technologies. So I am a partner with Ruckus (now Commscope), and other Wifi's manufacturers, Cisco, HP/Aruba, Meraki, Aerohive, I am certified and sell and install their products for the installations outlined above, when you sign as a partner one of the things is you commit to purchase a lab kit containing several of their products, one of my company kits is at my house, it includes a Ruckus 720 access point, retail price circa $1300 and a controller (forgot the retail as this one specifically is end of life) I think it was like $1500. So you can figure out that my Wifi is very good, of course I had access to this kit but I would not spend $3000 on Wifi alone for a small townhome.

Summarizing that's how I made it work, will it be stable, nah, eventually an ant will climb over the antenna blocking the signals or the butterfly will flap the wings on the other side of the world and my music playback will be disrupted,

I use Wifi with the knowledge that if the transmission fails I won't bother Miska about it, if it drops, I won't blame HQPe but my environment, that extra Wifi card indeed already creates issues since it is multihomed (2 adapters on same box wireless and wired) and yes for very specific certain things I will slightly bother Miska and I will try not to be pain in the neck.

Honestly I wish I could get rid of the Wifi, I can't run a cable as I am renting this house and the owner was very specific I cannot run cables or make changes to the property, I even ran a cable all over the stairs hanging from the rails and my wife had a heart attach, if you would see the way she decorated the house you will understand, and I learned to pick my battles ;)

So sorry for the long post but I hope it is clear my position about Wifi, I wish I wouldn't be so transparent listing that on the first place. Still hope this helps you @maya

EDIT: I used to live in a house with tall vaulted ceilings and larger living with wired ethernet all over the place, acoustically and convenient you have no idea how much I miss that house. I am looking to move and one of the reasons is my listening space, my audio system is extremely important to me as an individual, it is my hobby and my escape. Wow I'm so OT

2 hours ago, luisma said:

at the same time on my post I mentioned you should not use Wifi as it is unreliable, will create issues, and HQPlayer won't support it, I tried once to stream from HQPe Server to an NAA Wifi and it FAILED and it will fail on every environment at least with the current technologies, so HQPe --> WIFI --> NO NO NO

Hmmh, works for me. I can stream 8 channel DSD256 from HQPlayer to a NAA over WiFi without problems... ;)

But certainly success level heavily depends on the environment. I have only two WiFi networks in the house and the one I use for this is based on two HPE/Aruba access points and managed Cisco + HPE switches. And Intel WiFi adapters.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi @Miska,

is it normal when I set the output mode to PCM then the auto rate family option doesn't work? So 48 or 96 kHz stuff gets upsampled to 705.6 (or 1411.2) instead to 768 (or 1536) kHz. Changing the output mode to Auto everything is ok. 
I noted it because the playback of 96 kHz music didn't start with filter Sync-L and output mode PCM

Using HQP OS with a Spring 2 DAC.

Thank you,

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

4 hours ago, luisma said:

Onboard wifi included with the Gigabyte B550i AORUS PRO AX, Wifi 6

Please I don't want to that guy but if you read my post again you will notice that I'm just trying to describe my environment on which unfortunately I am forced to rely on Wifi, at the same time on my post I mentioned you should not use Wifi as it is unreliable, will create issues, and HQPlayer won't support it, I tried once to stream from HQPe Server to an NAA Wifi and it FAILED and it will fail on every environment at least with the current technologies, so HQPe --> WIFI --> NO NO NO

What I tried doing was isolating Roon and testing streaming audio from Roon --> HQPe over Wifi, it worked for 2 hours on my listening session 2 nights ago, this doesn't mean it won't fail tonight or tomorrow, I don't have enough evidence or empirical testing yet on my environment, on my house. As a matter of fact I am 100% sure that if instead of streaming from Roon I played DSD files from Roon to HQPe wireless it will fail or break eventually, so if you have a local library this most likely won't work.

I hate Wifi and love cables, nothing is as reliable as a good copper cable, I have been doing networks for a living since 1994 and working with computers since 1980 and if there is something I learned over these years is I despise Wifi, powerline and any other invention created to go around wired copper of fiber because it usually has many drawbacks  (BTW I prefer copper over fiber when possible contrary to many here but that's another story).

Another thing I do for a living is design, sell and install Wifi networks for small, medium, large, government, state and 100k to 300k warehouses (a la Amazon style), there is another Wifi niche which is big skyscrapers where you have 300 - 500 visible SSID's and wireless networks competing with yours and most companies installing Wifis using the cheapo ones will fail miserably because they don't do a survey and they don't use multiple radios AP's with a controller using a technology to eliminate de-authentication frames  which is something that kills your Wifi (not allowing you to connect to your same SSID right next to you) shall you be in a crowded environment like apartment buildings and such . I know I sound pedantic but my objective is not to flare my experience on your face and feel especial but just for you to know that I know a thing or two about wireless technologies. So I am a partner with Ruckus (now Commscope), and other Wifi's manufacturers, Cisco, HP/Aruba, Meraki, Aerohive, I am certified and sell and install their products for the installations outlined above, when you sign as a partner one of the things is you commit to purchase a lab kit containing several of their products, one of my company kits is at my house, it includes a Ruckus 720 access point, retail price circa $1300 and a controller (forgot the retail as this one specifically is end of life) I think it was like $1500. So you can figure out that my Wifi is very good, of course I had access to this kit but I would not spend $3000 on Wifi alone for a small townhome.

Summarizing that's how I made it work, will it be stable, nah, eventually an ant will climb over the antenna blocking the signals or the butterfly will flap the wings on the other side of the world and my music playback will be disrupted,

I use Wifi with the knowledge that if the transmission fails I won't bother Miska about it, if it drops, I won't blame HQPe but my environment, that extra Wifi card indeed already creates issues since it is multihomed (2 adapters on same box wireless and wired) and yes for very specific certain things I will slightly bother Miska and I will try not to be pain in the neck.

Honestly I wish I could get rid of the Wifi, I can't run a cable as I am renting this house and the owner was very specific I cannot run cables or make changes to the property, I even ran a cable all over the stairs hanging from the rails and my wife had a heart attach, if you would see the way she decorated the house you will understand, and I learned to pick my battles ;)

So sorry for the long post but I hope it is clear my position about Wifi, I wish I wouldn't be so transparent listing that on the first place. Still hope this helps you @maya

EDIT: I used to live in a house with tall vaulted ceilings and larger living with wired ethernet all over the place, acoustically and convenient you have no idea how much I miss that house. I am looking to move and one of the reasons is my listening space, my audio system is extremely important to me as an individual, it is my hobby and my escape. Wow I'm so OT

Many thanks for your reply!
I fully understood your opinion
about using wifi connection between HQP and NAA  and agreed with you totally.

I also don't use Wifi to connect HQPe and NAA . I always use a  copper LAN cable for better SQ.

Tried Intel Optical LAN card many years ago between HQP and NAA for a while as I dislike the sound so not in use anymore.

My System is Debian 11 --> Custom 5.7 Kernel compiled by me --> HQPe Focal ver 4.21.1.60 ROCm capable and NAA
It can be configured to connect HQPe and NAA either directly via a LAN cable or via switches.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, works for me. I can stream 8 channel DSD256 from HQPlayer to a NAA over WiFi without problems... ;)

Well honestly when I tried it the endpoint NAA was the weakest link, it wasn't a Wifi 6 board but an Intel 5th gen celeron with and old wireless card, nothing like 5g using broader bandwidth or band balancing  I don't use any last gen NAA's because of cost and because to me the simpler the better, so it could be possible the failure was not my Wifi infrastructure but the endpoint quality, still I rather avoid it, not very much interested on using wifi unless absolutely needed.

Aruba is pretty good, IMO not as good as Ruckus, if you don't have too many adjacent neighbors that's a plus, Cisco / Aruba for switches is great, Aruba I used these a lot, I'm a partner with them and the cost and efficiency is incredible (cough better than Cisco IMO), I am using now the Ruckus switches (former Brocade if you remember those) I get fully managed L3 switches (or L2) for $150 on Ebay, 10 Gbe over copper or fiber your pick, for my NAS and Hypervisor is a blessing, and better than Microtik which is a good value but not comparable.

53 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Hi @Miska,

is it normal when I set the output mode to PCM then the auto rate family option doesn't work? So 48 or 96 kHz stuff gets upsampled to 705.6 (or 1411.2) instead to 768 (or 1536) kHz. Changing the output mode to Auto everything is ok. 
I noted it because the playback of 96 kHz music didn't start with filter Sync-L and output mode PCM

Using HQP OS with a Spring 2 DAC.

Thank you,

Mario

Please ask Jussi 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, luisma said:

HQPe --> WIFI --> NO NO NO

My Macbook running Windows NAA (Bootcamp) is fine with 4 channels at PCM768kHz over WiFi (higher bandwidth than DSD256)

I never had an issue.  I only have 1 access point, which is an ASUS RTAC-86U in the middle of the house. Nothing fancy.

Bizarrely, the same Macbook running macOS NAA doesn't work at all over WiFi LOL

15 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

My Macbook running Windows NAA (Bootcamp) is fine with 4 channels at PCM768kHz over WiFi (higher bandwidth than DSD256)

I never had an issue.  I only have 1 access point, which is an ASUS RTAC-86U in the middle of the house. Nothing fancy.

Bizarrely, the same Macbook running macOS NAA doesn't work at all over WiFi LOL

Driver issue on native OSX? so weird, well my AP is upstairs and the system is downstairs, the NAA could not handle the stream, it was pausing and dropping, the new modern Wifi endpoint works better, the AP does beamforming and other tricks, plus the controller, recently I replaced the switch by an ICX7150 IIRC, which provides a good network improvement compared to the former Aruba 2920? man something is wrong with my head, I'm getting old :), harder to remember the models.

In any case the endpoint was old, dual antennas but only 2.4 and 2015 tech, the new Giga does pretty well

I used to run tests, not anymore but in Ubuntu if you wanted to check your speed

SPEEDTEST
wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.sea01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip - OOPS doesn't work anymore, IBM acquired it
wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
OR
sudo apt install speedtest-cli
speedtest-cli

My aim is to setup a wlan to Ethernet bridge which failed to accomplish at present  although bridge can  be done between two Ethernet ports.

Some users dislike or cannot to have LAN cable connection because of physical restraints despite they know wlan connection may cause degradable SQ.

4 hours ago, maya said:

Please ask Jussi 

Thanks 

Hmm.. I was asking Jussi/Miska. Not maya. 😀

1 hour ago, maya said:

My aim is to setup a wlan to Ethernet bridge which failed to accomplish at present  although bridge can  be done between two Ethernet ports.

Some users dislike or cannot to have LAN cable connection because of physical restraints despite they know wlan connection may cause degradable SQ.

Bridge is an Ethernet thing. To make a bridge with wlan is more difficult. See for example, for Debian:

https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#Bridging_with_a_wireless_NIC

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS