IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

10 hours ago, mikel said:

thanks... just realized that the 5600x does not have integrated GPU.... that will probably push me toward a Intel i5-10600 with  similar thermal rating... unless I use the 5600x as a headless system and remove discrete GPU once the system is running.

I really want to go as minimal as possible. Any insight of Intel 10600 vs 5600x and using headless linux vs not?

Thanks, Mike

For 5600x, you can consider to use the 
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax (which has Intel NIC) and 1 PCI-E slot that you can buy a cheap small low profile fanless GPU card use old GT710 chipset. You can leave the card there cause it will not use much power and very small as well.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

21 hours ago, Miska said:

The ASUS B550 board (ROG series) I have, has Intel NIC on board

I looked at that one but could not use it because of the ATX format, another perk of having a passive build is you have to play small and ATX wasn't an option for the H5 when you have other components inside the chassis. It was discouraging I could not find anything with mini ITX or mATX in the B550 (I think the 570 there was something but then you have the chipset fan which is much needed) that included an Intel.

I learned my lesson, next build is fan (or water) cooled, larger chassis, too many limitations on the passive build and with these new Noctuas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5VG64V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quietness is an option. Yes these are more expensive than the others I know

EDIT1: This is OT of course, a friend of mine manufactures speakers and I offered if he needed on their next show a digital rig, in this specific case having a full passive build in a small format (that you can fit on luggage on a plane) that would be perfect for a show. So in this specific case my passive build will rock, easy to transport and absolutely no fans

15 hours ago, chipvn said:

ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax (which has Intel NIC) 

I don't remember if that one was out when I build mine, if it was for some reason I could not use it. And others that were available the VRM heatsink conflicted with the copper pipes from the CPU to the chassis position. I thought on manually removing the heatsink but that was there for a reason, maybe only used during OC but who know.

7 hours ago, luisma said:

I don't remember if that one was out when I build mine, if it was for some reason I could not use it. And others that were available the VRM heatsink conflicted with the copper pipes from the CPU to the chassis position. I thought on manually removing the heatsink but that was there for a reason, maybe only used during OC but who know.

I'm not sure what could be the issue you faced with it. The board I susgested is this one :

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming-ITXax/index.asp

I knew it when searching for a good mini ITX board that could fit the HDPlex H1 case. It is one of a very rare B550 mini ITX board that has Intel NIC (beside the Asus Rog Strix B550-i). It has good VRM but don't have the VRM heatsink over the CPU so should have no issue with HDPlex case. I don't like the Asus Strix B550-i (the smaller version of the B550-E that Miska suggested) is because it has an active VRM cooling fan.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

13 hours ago, chipvn said:

I'm not sure what could be the issue you faced with it. The board I susgested is this one :

I'm not sure either LOL, that board looks amazing and actually better than the one I currently have, for some reason which again I'm not sure I turned it down, note that my 9 year old gaming desktop and my home server build both have asrock and I'm a fan of the brand.

I’m trying HQPlayer Embedded on my new Intel system. Works well actually :-)

I might have a little preference for this solution over the Mac Mini M1. 

How is it possible to load the key and keep it alive if I want to stay in the USB drive mode, ie without installing the distro on the disk  ? 

Would I need to enter the product key every time the machine is rebooted ?

4 hours ago, SwissBear said:

I’m trying HQPlayer Embedded on my new Intel system. Works well actually :-)

I might have a little preference for this solution over the Mac Mini M1. 

How is it possible to load the key and keep it alive if I want to stay in the USB drive mode, ie without installing the distro on the disk  ? 

Would I need to enter the product key every time the machine is rebooted ?

If you are using HQPlayer OS, you just upload the key and it stays there until you reflash (update) the software.

So no need to upload the key every time.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@MiskaIf I would like to build an electronic crossover the correct way of doing so in HQPe would be to use the Matrix Pipeline, with whichever DSP you want.

I could use a one liner like this "iir:type=peak;f=80;g=-2.3;q=1.4,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;s=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=165;g=2.0;bw=1.01"

But I would like to use a text file better, anywhere I can find the format and syntax for such text file? I found this on the thread (see below) but I don't know if that's the actual file or just some representation... and if so how do I represent instead of peaks, also lshelf, bw and s

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 165 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.01

Any software you could recommend to build the filters and export to text? REW, REPHASE, any other?

Thank you

2 hours ago, luisma said:

@MiskaIf I would like to build an electronic crossover the correct way of doing so in HQPe would be to use the Matrix Pipeline, with whichever DSP you want.

I could use a one liner like this "iir:type=peak;f=80;g=-2.3;q=1.4,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;s=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=165;g=2.0;bw=1.01"

But I would like to use a text file better, anywhere I can find the format and syntax for such text file? I found this on the thread (see below) but I don't know if that's the actual file or just some representation... and if so how do I represent instead of peaks, also lshelf, bw and s

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 165 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.01

Any software you could recommend to build the filters and export to text? REW, REPHASE, any other?

I don't think there is any official specification for the format, or I'm just not aware of such. But REW exports filters in such format and AutoEq corrections use the same format, but with extra "Preamp:" line specifying gain compensation for he filter set.

You can get good idea by creating filter export from REW with each type of filter available for "Generic" EQ profile.

HQPlayer doesn't have any restriction for number of filters created such way. Only limitation is amount of memory and processing power. So likely few thousand of such filters would go fine on a powerful machine.

9 hours ago, luisma said:

Thanks this means HQPe will never play above Nyquist either, 22.05 is the max frequency, meaning ultrasonics are always discarded correct?

Of course there is nothing there that was there originally, just ultrasonics residual from the noise shaper

Nyquist of the source content is the limiting factor. If you have hires source, you can have also content above 22.05k and do also eq there. If you have for example a high-shelving filter the response extends to the Nyquist, what ever it may be.

I've now added a rule that discards eq filters where the f exceeds Nyquist of the current source format at the initialization time.

13 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Should you always update to the latest linux headers and images if things are working properly.

It depends, for example the latest updates contain security fixes. In that respect also depends on how your computer is used and how much it is exposed to outside world.

You would not want to make a more affordable version of HQPe for the Pi, in which you can use the generated filters (Rephase, REW) + time delays and output it all to UPnP devices such as BBBs and the like. Without a huge selection of dithers and resamplers.
IMHO among fans of car audio and per-channel home systems, this version would become very popular))
I would very much like to.

It seems to me that with the available version of HQPe, your income will clearly be better and sales will cover the lower price.
IMHO 40-50 dollars will go more or less.

1 hour ago, Traktorist3d said:

I understand correctly, when installing HQPEmbded on the Pi4, it will be possible to process 8 PCM and IIR channels or FIR + delay for channels without any problems? In short, will it work as a DSP processor for 8 PCM channels?

I have not tested such, but you could just try it out with the free trial.

1 hour ago, Traktorist3d said:

You would not want to make a more affordable version of HQPe for the Pi, in which you can use the generated filters (Rephase, REW) + time delays and output it all to UPnP devices such as BBBs and the like. Without a huge selection of dithers and resamplers.
IMHO among fans of car audio and per-channel home systems, this version would become very popular))
I would very much like to.

It seems to me that with the available version of HQPe, your income will clearly be better and sales will cover the lower price.
IMHO 40-50 dollars will go more or less.

Making a different version would increase costs. I don't think there's a way to go any lower with prices, only up.

Hi all!

I have just switched over to Linux Mint from Windows 10 and I wanted some advice. After installing HQ Player on Linux I can't play to my chosen NAA. I posted on the Roon forum a couple of weeks ago but I have not had a chance since to try and get HQ player working  and I thought, on reflection, this might be a better thread anyway.

So, if I turn the firewall off and NordVPN off, I can see the NAA (on ropieee on Allo USBridge sig) and I can play to it. If I turn either of the VPN or firewall on, I lose the ability to play music. I have my local IP subnet whitelisted in NordVPN. I have tried adding rules in Linux Mint firewall but, although I can occasionally 'see' the NAA in HQ Player I can only get it to play when both the VPN and firewall are off.

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to how I should configure the firewall rules and/or how I whitelist correctly in NordVPN.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, rossco said:

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to how I should configure the firewall rules and/or how I whitelist correctly in NordVPN.

You need to make sure multicast traffic is always destined to the local network and any local network unicast responses the back through.

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

You need to make sure multicast traffic is always destined to the local network and any local network unicast responses the back through.

Thanks Miska - I am not really sure how to check this or what is relevant. My switch is unmanaged (netgear) and works (passes to NAA) when the linux firewall is off, and the VPN is off. So is this something I should be check in the PC or network? Any pointers are helpful. Thanks.