IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

5 hours ago, luisma said:

Well honestly when I tried it the endpoint NAA was the weakest link, it wasn't a Wifi 6 board but an Intel 5th gen celeron with and old wireless card, nothing like 5g using broader bandwidth or band balancing  I don't use any last gen NAA's because of cost and because to me the simpler the better, so it could be possible the failure was not my Wifi infrastructure but the endpoint quality, still I rather avoid it, not very much interested on using wifi unless absolutely needed.

In this case NAA was on wired (Mac Mini connected to exaSound e28 DAC), but HQPlayer Desktop sending to it was running on Lenovo T470p laptop and connected to wireless.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Holzohr said:

is it normal when I set the output mode to PCM then the auto rate family option doesn't work? So 48 or 96 kHz stuff gets upsampled to 705.6 (or 1411.2) instead to 768 (or 1536) kHz. Changing the output mode to Auto everything is ok. 
I noted it because the playback of 96 kHz music didn't start with filter Sync-L and output mode PCM

Using HQP OS with a Spring 2 DAC.

Have you set rate to "Auto"? If rate is set to something else and auto rate family is enabled, there's a conflicting request, fixed output rate vs changing output rate.

In HQPlayer log it should say requested output rate is 0 and that automatic rate switching is enabled.

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Have you set rate to "Auto"? If rate is set to something else and auto rate family is enabled, there's a conflicting request, fixed output rate vs changing output rate.

In HQPlayer log it should say requested output rate is 0 and that automatic rate switching is enabled.

Usually, I have set rate to "Auto" (and "Auto rate family" enabled, "Sample rate": 1411200 and "Rate limit": 1536000) but I wanted to give the DSD -> PCM converting a try so I changed rate to "PCM" two-three days ago. It worked untill 48/96/192 kHz music came into the pipeline (selected filter: sinc-L). I realized that I need a filter like poly-sinc-short-lp then to play these 48/96/192 kHz music. Then upsampled to 1411.2 instead to 1536 kHz.. 

So that's by default that automatic rate switching doesn't work with set rate to "PCM"?

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, works for me. I can stream 8 channel DSD256 from HQPlayer to a NAA over WiFi without problems... ;)

But certainly success level heavily depends on the environment. I have only two WiFi networks in the house and the one I use for this is based on two HPE/Aruba access points and managed Cisco + HPE switches. And Intel WiFi adapters.

Hi Jussi,

What you mentioned above is running under Linux ? 

If affirmative, may I know what Intel WiFi adapter you used ? Is it a access point capable Wifi adapter ?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, maya said:

What you mentioned above is running under Linux ? 

Yes, it was on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04, but with my custom kernel.

1 hour ago, maya said:

If affirmative, may I know what Intel WiFi adapter you used ? Is it a access point capable Wifi adapter ?

I can't remember anymore. I've never played with hostapd, so I have not paid attention to that detail. I always use purpose built access points.

44 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, it was on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04, but with my custom kernel.

I can't remember anymore. I've never played with hostapd, so I have not paid attention to that detail. I always use purpose built access points.

Thanks 

7 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Usually, I have set rate to "Auto" (and "Auto rate family" enabled, "Sample rate": 1411200 and "Rate limit": 1536000) but I wanted to give the DSD -> PCM converting a try so I changed rate to "PCM" two-three days ago. It worked untill 48/96/192 kHz music came into the pipeline (selected filter: sinc-L). I realized that I need a filter like poly-sinc-short-lp then to play these 48/96/192 kHz music. Then upsampled to 1411.2 instead to 1536 kHz.. 

So that's by default that automatic rate switching doesn't work with set rate to "PCM"?

Hmmh, I just tested with 4.22.0 release and it seems to work fine.

7 hours ago, Holzohr said:

I have set rate to "Auto" (and "Auto rate family" enabled, "Sample rate": 1411200 and "Rate limit": 1536000)

This is a bit conflicting statement. If sample rate is set to 1411200, then you are explicitly asking to output at that rate and not allowing auto rate adjustments. Kinda reason why HQPlayer Desktop has different kind of approach to this setting although achieves same functionality.

Here are my settings (to Spring 1, so the rates are lower):

1880617476_Screenshotfrom2021-02-1019-35-22.thumb.png.300a7db8eade33e8b7cd8f93404dc2d8.png

And here I have playlist that has one 88.2k track and one 96k track and the associated setting state visible:

29535810_Screenshotfrom2021-02-1019-34-28.thumb.png.594d31cb4c6b544e67803ad27e0d2417.png

There's now a special build of HQPlayer Desktop for Linux (Ubuntu Focal), under "other downloads" section. Optimized for recent AMD CPUs, but also works on recent Intel CPUs. Note that this special build doesn't include GPU support.

On my 5800X CPU, this build has a bit over 60% CPU load on the modulator cores when doing ASDM7EC to DSD256. Instead of the usual 90+% of the regular build.

With this version, it is also possible to have Multicore DSP checked and still ASDM7EC working to DSD256 on the 5800X. However, the loads just increase so much that it doesn't make practical sense.

Tomorrow I'll check this build more on Intel CPUs too.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Here are my settings (to Spring 1, so the rates are lower):

1880617476_Screenshotfrom2021-02-1019-35-22.thumb.png.300a7db8eade33e8b7cd8f93404dc2d8.png

Thank you, Jussi! That's it! I missed/ignored the "Auto" option under Sample rate. Now the automatic rate switching works with Output mode "PCM", too. 😁

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

On 2/4/2021 at 12:00 AM, Miska said:

I wouldn't mix those much. You may anyway need to put the Anubis behind Windows or macOS NAA.

Even with HQP OS (Ravenna version) , I still need Windows/macOS NAA ?

I'm running HQP OS 4.22.0 (Ravenna) on UpBoard Gateway and no sound. Sample rate on Anubis isn't changing.

Roon, Spotify etc all play to the Ravenna CoreAudio driver fine.

905838989_ScreenShot2021-02-11at8_19_38pm.thumb.png.55e93c67d031862857a071c97d7d5bf3.png353387214_ScreenShot2021-02-11at8_19_16pm.png.370882dea999e57897ba6e10f48805e4.png1714624962_ScreenShot2021-02-11at8_19_01pm.thumb.png.2fa39af524e5d045c7075551b70f960b.png

10 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Ok got audio to work. I hate Aneman with a passion.

But it's not smooth. Upsampling to 192k has issues (stuttering), 96k better but still issues.

Roon alone (no HQPlayer) works without issues with 192k.

image.thumb.png.65cb03e342e3b1ece665e71459ac8047.png

Check that you are not trying to set buffer time from HQPlayer side... Default should work. You can also try 100 ms setting.

Just now, Miska said:

Is your Anubis firmware up to date with ANEMAN? Also check that the frame size in Anubis is set to RAVENNA maximum, not the AES67 compatibility value.

Yes latest firmware.

See "version" below"

Frame size is "Low (64)" which is RAVENNA max

image.thumb.png.3fef9bb6d45561f8bee5745608220958.png

1 hour ago, asdf1000 said:

Even with HQP OS (Ravenna version) , I still need Windows/macOS NAA ?

I'm running HQP OS 4.22.0 (Ravenna) on UpBoard Gateway and no sound. Sample rate on Anubis isn't changing.

Yes, it is quite possible that it doesn't work.

Roon, Spotify etc all play to the Ravenna CoreAudio driver fine.

Yes, but try the same on Linux...

7 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Yes latest firmware.

See "version" below"

Frame size is "Low (64)" which is RAVENNA max

image.thumb.png.3fef9bb6d45561f8bee5745608220958.png

By the way here you should make Anubis the master clock by it having the clock crown. Now it is ALSA...

What does it say about the connection when you hover mouse over the connection points?

If there is for example clocking problem it looks like it is playing but you get no sound.

And tried the new plot feature on HQP OS and doesn't work?

See below comparing with HQPlayer Desktop plot feature (same wav file of course)

Then there is likely a problem with the matrix and the filter is not working for some reason. Check what HQPlayer log says about it. To create the plot, HQPlayer runs test signal through the pipeline processor.