3 hours ago, sandyk said:

I was under the impression that -3dB was .707 of the original voltage.

Perhaps some qualified E.E. could check what was stated in the DIY Audio post quoted above for accuracy ?

The original post is here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-post5424495.html

and yes, the poster has confused using the 10*log dB formula (for power) with that for voltage. -3dB is half the power, 1/sqrt(2) * the voltage. The rest of his math looks correct though, for example 10mV reduced by 70dB is about 3uV.

Department of weird stuff have entered phase 3. The final stage where ALL of my power supplies have got new chrimstmas decorations in form of Panasonic aluminium polymer caps on their banana output sockets.

69C03F31-6924-4D3B-BB84-10BFA6CEECE0.thumb.jpeg.ef52d40a86df5dc74709f3072bc99c13.jpeg24C7EF37-880A-421D-A4BF-4FBBC9AB3B5A.thumb.jpeg.559ce9b9ce920cd3400cc690f5480f0f.jpeg

What a joy to listen to music! I am there in the studio right now enjoying the music production of Helehan - Temple of Maia. That is exactly how it feels right now. €$%#! amazing stuff these aluminium polymer caps. I cannot get enough of them! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

24 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Polymer? Those look like Panasonic FC electrolytics...

No, they are Panasonic FC type A aluminium polymer caps (25v 560uF). Deep blue colour.

I will find the link in a minute! ?

Wait a minute! You’re actually right! They are aluminium electrlytic caps! ? I was convinced they where polymer caps actually. That's maybe why they improves in series with Kemet A750? (Which ARE aluminium polymer caps BTW)

🎛️  Audio System  

After a few days, I decided to remove the Kenet caps from the LT3045 boards feeding my HDD and Ethernet switch. I found that my system became too bright with a bit of a glassy effect. It was impressive at the first impression with more details, but I found that the sound lost its natural tonality. I think it is system dependent, so just wanted to share my experience.

25 minutes ago, hopkins said:

One set of amazing change after another, over 180 pages - you must have had pretty bad sound to start off with :)

‘You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.’ 

Sherlock Holmes

?

🎛️  Audio System  

21 minutes ago, mozes said:

After a few days, I decided to remove the Kenet caps from the LT3045 boards feeding my HDD and Ethernet switch. I found that my system became too bright with a bit of a glassy effect. It was impressive at the first impression with more details, but I found that the sound lost its natural tonality. I think it is system dependent, so just wanted to share my experience.

Why don’t you wait a few days at put them back again?

My Kemet and Electrolytic caps stays! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Why don’t you wait a few days at put them back again?

My Kemet and Electrolytic caps stays! ?

Will be testing them again after sometime, but I am positive that they don’t work in all systems. I see their value with tubes

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Will be testing them again after sometime, but I am positive that they don’t work in all systems. I see their value with tubes

Fair enough, but if you already are locked your mind to that they won’t work in any system you have already limited yourself! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

28 minutes ago, mozes said:

Agreed. I did the same. 

Just now, Cornan said:

Fair enough, but if you already are locked your mind to that they won’t work in any system you have already limited yourself! ?

I don't think that's what he's saying. If you use these different caps long enough and in different setups you develop a sense of what they will contribute. Polymer caps have been used for tweaking for a long time, most notably the old os-cons. They can be very effective, but they can be too much of a good thing - all depends. Important thing is what works for you.

20 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

I don't think that's what he's saying. If you use these different caps long enough and in different setups you develop a sense of what they will contribute. Polymer caps have been used for tweaking for a long time, most notably the old os-cons. They can be very effective, but they can be too much of a good thing - all depends. Important thing is what works for you.

I know! Moussa is a truly great and honest guy that I respect him, his ears and his opinions a lot! I am not trying to be tight. I am just trying to keep him open minded. I really think that it is is important not no lock your mind into something expected if you want to experiment, even if it has been experimented with before. A locked mind will experiment less and evaluate less. That’s all! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

What I mean is that the contribution of these caps whether good or bad depends on the system. I always keep an open mind and that’s why I like to try things myself.

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Here is the link to those Panasonic FC type A aluminium ELECTROLYTIC caps https://se.rs-online.com/mobile/p/aluminium-capacitors/0572110/ that I use at the output of my power supplies with Kemet A750 at output of all LT3045. Sorry for the confusion! ?

I use Panasonic FC quite extensively as they are a good all round electro. If you want lower ESR types use Panasonic FM instead. IIRC, John Swenson often uses Panasonic FM, although I find they can often harden the sound a little.

They shouldn't be used at the output of the older LM3XXX series regulators though due to their very low ESR.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, wushuliu said:

Polymer caps have been used for tweaking for a long time, most notably the old os-cons. They can be very effective, but they can be too much of a good thing

+1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 hours ago, hopkins said:

One set of amazing change after another, over 180 pages - you must have had pretty bad sound to start off with :)

:D

More likely it just shows how lacklustre streaming can be, compared with decent quality local storage powered by low noise power !

52 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I use Panasonic FC quite extensively as they are a good all round electro. If you want lower ESR types use Panasonic FM instead. IIRC, John Swenson often uses Panasonic FM, although I find they can often harden the sound a little.

They shouldn't be used at the output of the older LM3XXX series regulators though due to their very low ESR.

It is quite clear that these caps fine-tune the sound depending on what caps you choose. It is a jungle out there. Not sure I want to cut down the whole jungle to find out the ultimate combo. I think I will be satisfied with the Kemet at the outputs and maybe be a bit adventurous with the input caps from now on! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

It improved both TV picture and Tidal streaming yet again! ?

Tidal streaming must have pretty crappy audio if it needs so much added HF augmentation, yet many members don't seem to notice it's shortcomings ! :$