11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I said 2 conducting diodes, which would mean around 1.5V less. If you used 1N5404 3A diodes etc. this would then mean around 2V less.

Ok, then it sounds very interesting indeed Alex! ? Where exactly would I put them on the first HC-HPULN (see pictures)?

thumbnail_20180316_091202_HDR_resized.thumb.jpg.4c7fcf0694a8b597acdcb8af896b91a9.jpgD4559CA9-AAEB-4CF4-975A-78365AAE551F.thumb.jpeg.447b15101d4f49238bdf9e9cb9f737fd.jpeg

Or will these go inside the AC-AC PS?

421833B8-F855-490B-BD32-53CFF8F88FAF.thumb.jpeg.8dfa4efde841c6dcf2d5a8c2495a21a9.jpeg

Just to be sure. It is these we are talking about right?

https://m.elfa.se/sv/likriktardioder-400-do-201-no-brand-1n5404/p/17003643?channel=b2c&price_gs=2.146375&wt_mc=se.cse.gshop.sv.-&source=googleps&ext_cid=shgooaqsesv-na-SE+|+Shopping+|+NB&kw=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8IGfiJru2gIVSC0ZCh2JCgMfEAQYASABEgJ0uPD_BwE

A2FE9D60-D737-456E-8EC6-6A50470B8066.thumb.jpeg.af4bc2fb98f01c37606155d3d6d8c643.jpeg

Any perticular brand you recommend?

🎛️  Audio System  

28 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Ok, then it sounds very interesting indeed Akex! ? Where exactly would I put them on the first HC-HPULN (see pictures)?

thumbnail_20180316_091202_HDR_resized.thumb.jpg.4c7fcf0694a8b597acdcb8af896b91a9.jpgD4559CA9-AAEB-4CF4-975A-78365AAE551F.thumb.jpeg.447b15101d4f49238bdf9e9cb9f737fd.jpeg

Ideally, the bridge rectifier diodes and a large value filter capacitor,  would be on a separate PCB or piece of perf board (unclad copper PCB )The use of a large value filter capacitor may also lead to a more balanced sound, especially at the low end.

You would need to try this added PCB with some kind of load to see exactly how much voltage would be going into the main board. The brand of 1N5404 shouldn't matter, as long as you don't draw >3A continuous current, otherwise you will need to find other higher current rated diodes such as these 5A Schottky diodes.

https://au.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Diodes-Rectifiers/Schottky-Diodes-Rectifiers/_/N-ax1mj?P=1yuoc72Z1yuoc6wZ1z0y481Z1z0z63x

Now that you have ordered the other item, perhaps you should stick with that ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi Cornan,

Still unfamiliar with links: just Google AMB S11.  Site also offers some advise regarding voltages with transformers and should give you some more confidence to go ahead.  Remember AC can bite, if in doubt get work checked by qualified electrician before plugging in to mains.

Martin.

4 minutes ago, Hauser said:

Hi Cornan,

Still unfamiliar with links: just Google AMB S11.  Site also offers some advise regarding voltages with transformers and should give you some more confidence to go ahead.  Remember AC can bite, if in doubt get work checked by qualified electrician before plugging in to mains.

Martin.

Micael could also post hi res photos of his work for other more experienced members participating  in this thread to check before switching on.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Ideally, the bridge rectifier diodes and a large value filter capacitor,  would be on a separate PCB or piece of perf board (unclad copper PCB )The use of a large value filter capacitor may also lead to a more balanced sound, especially at the low end.

You would need to try this added PCB with some kind of load to see exactly how much voltage would be going into the main board. The brand of 1N5404 shouldn't matter, as long as you don't draw >3A continuous current, otherwise you will need to find other higher current rated diodes such as these 5A Schottky diodes.

https://au.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Diodes-Rectifiers/Schottky-Diodes-Rectifiers/_/N-ax1mj?P=1yuoc72Z1yuoc6wZ1z0y481Z1z0z63x

Now that you have ordered the other item, perhaps you should stick with that ?

Thanks a lot Alex! ??

I will surely keep this in mind. Right now the main object is the coming Sigma 12 board, but it is always great to have a backup plan if the Sigma 12 will not work with 15VAC>14VDC.

🎛️  Audio System  

49 minutes ago, Hauser said:

Hi Cornan,

Martin.

No problem Martin! I will Google it! ?

Thanks, I am very cautious with AC and will not do anything that I do not understand 100%. 

🎛️  Audio System  

49 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Micael could also post hi res photos of his work for other more experienced members participating  in this thread to check before switching on.

Great idea! ? I will surely post some hi res photos here during the build and confirm that everything is good to go before turning it on. 

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

50VA balanced & floating AC-AC PS 15VAC> Sigma 12 14VDC> HC-HPULN 13VDC> HC-HPULN 12VDC> Brooklyn DAC

Think about 13.5 volts out of the sigma 11 instead or 14. 1.5 volts vdrop isn't great but it will work. You have to ask the vendor to install the correct resistor value for a given output. The little pot thingie doesn't have much range on these boards.

The hcpulns should handle a vdrop of .750 volts just fine.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

15 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Think about 13.5 volts out of the sigma 11 instead or 14. 1.5 volts vdrop isn't great but it will work. You have to ask the vendor to install the correct resistor value for a given output. The little pot thingie doesn't have much range on these boards.

The hcpulns should handle a vdrop of .750 volts just fine.

Thanks Larry! I will keep that in mind. Do you mean that I should ask the seller to add a resistor for 13.5VDC output? I better hurry! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

On 2018-05-03 at 8:26 PM, [email protected] said:

in theory 70db+70db=140db :) (for serial connection)

In real life - less 

This new post might interest you and everyone else into LT3045s

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-15.html#post5424495

Great feeling when calculations match ears! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I want to share my experience of adding the Kemet polymer caps that @Cornan recommended. I added one to the output of the LT3045 1A board that feeds my HDD. I was skeptical about these caps, but I was surprised and I found that the bass got deeper and the highs are more extended.

Question, how does the capacitance impact the sound? What if we use other premium caps like Mundorf? 

22 minutes ago, mozes said:

I want to share my experience of adding the Kemet polymer caps that @Cornan recommended. I added one to the output of the LT3045 1A board that feeds my HDD. I was skeptical about these caps, but I was surprised and I found that the bass got deeper and the highs are more extended.

Question, how does the capacitance impact the sound? What if we use other premium caps like Mundorf? 

Moses,

Do you have avlink to the specific Kemet cap you purchased please?

Thanks,

Larry

P.S. try ground shunting the neutral DC input on the HDD lt3045 DC input side.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 hours ago, Cornan said:

the first HC-HPULN (see pictures)?

thumbnail_20180316_091202_HDR_resized.thumb.jpg.4c7fcf0694a8b597acdcb8af896b91a9.jpg

4 TO-220 devices on left side are rectifier diodes for AC-DC HC-HPULN. Please read number off device to learn what type device for my curiosity. Maybe are Ultrafast Recovery ?

Diodes have voltage drop as per SandyK, but included in Stammheim specs?

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Great to hear Moussa! :) Those Kemet’s improves just about anywhere I have tried them so far. Capacitance do impact the sound (usually bigger is better), but difficult to know how much until you’ve tried. I have’nt seen Mundorf aluminium polymer caps around...or do you mean other types of caps? 

🎛️  Audio System  

42 minutes ago, look&listen said:

4 TO-220 devices on left side are rectifier diodes for AC-DC HC-HPULN. Please read number off device to learn what type device for my curiosity. Maybe are Ultrafast Recovery ?

Diodes have voltage drop as per SandyK, but included in Stammheim specs?

Here is a picture of the rectifiers with printing visable.

AB3E7B9E-2EDB-4BAA-AE2A-4FF67E332320.thumb.jpeg.813bd80e2a101642b56597e4e2ff4512.jpeg

MBR1045

1729A

Michael have already taken those into account so it is 20,81 VDC instead of 21,21 VDC.

🎛️  Audio System  

7 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Great to hear Moussa! :) Those Kemet’s improves just about anywhere I have tried them so far. Capacitance do impact the sound (usually bigger is better), but difficult to know how much until you’ve tried. I have’nt seen Mundorf aluminium polymer caps around...or do you mean other types of caps? 

I mean other types of caps e.g Electrolytic, or foil. I have a few caps in my boxes, that I want to try for fun. I wanted to know what

role do these caps play at the output of the LT3045. Do the provide more current reserves? Or it is something else?

1 minute ago, mozes said:

I mean other types of caps e.g Electrolytic, or foil. I have a few caps in my boxes, that I want to try for fun. I wanted to know what

role do these caps play at the output of the LT3045. Do the provide more current reserves? Or it is something else?

The Kemet’s are carefully chosen by Michael as a great output cap of LT3045. If you want to try to fine-tune the sound you coukd definately try other types of caps like Mundorf at the input. 1000uF is for example a value recommended by @sandyk. He might know much more hiw they’ll affect the sound signature. I would’nt change to any other type of caps than tantalum or aluminium polymer at the output of the LT3045 though. I have tried Elna Silsmic II there and did’nt like them. I will soon try the Elna at the input with Kemet at the output.

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

The Kemet’s are carefully chosen by Michael as a great output cap of LT3045. If you want to try to fine-tune the sound you coukd definately try other types of caps like Mundorf at the input. 1000uF is for example a value recommended by @sandyk. He might know much more hiw they’ll affect the sound signature. I would’nt change to any other type of caps than tantalum or aluminium polymer at the output of the LT3045 though. I have tried Elna Silsmic II there and did’nt like them. I will soon try the Elna at the input with Kemet at the output.

I will see what I have and will try them. I will report if I find anything interesting

Finally the last series LT3045 have a Kemet at the output. This time Aqvox switch-8.

493DADB1-8721-4D61-9A29-D65CFF648AFC.thumb.jpeg.f5cf0e7c06eccde32777f8d7a3c86140.jpegF7EF98E7-7F50-45F7-9C55-2BFFD2AA901C.thumb.jpeg.8a74909ff66c6d776502d888e69cd4d5.jpeg

Listening to Helehan - Temple of Maia gives me goose bumps from head to toe. A really sweet sound landscape are presented. Music glow in loads! ?

Next up will be to add a Kemet to the USB path between the IR and BW (ie. to the USPCB). Wierd stuff for some maybe, but I am actually quite confident that it will be a success. However, facts speak so let’s wait and see how that turns out shall we? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Department of weird stuff! ?

D8738D9E-7782-4B1A-933F-EB82050EC901.thumb.jpeg.d4fe225dd4872799d235be0461b9e1db.jpeg70EAC989-C834-44F3-BF74-A50934F36C37.thumb.jpeg.e3a4a781b72a370cb32660ea9f22d599.jpegE0AA9BF7-22C3-4345-9E70-8B7B304B7F5D.thumb.jpeg.315e2c784ce8eb4d2128c5eef6ae0622.jpeg

This time I decided to go for the Panasonic aluminium polymer caps and use it at the output of my Gophert csp-3205II feeding the series HPULNs (with Kemet A750 at the output) feeding the LPS-1.2 powering the BW spdif output. Instant blackness. Very quiet background. I almost feel all alone in a good way! ? Improved fibers and an added calmness to the music. Love it! ?

Now I better add those Panasonic aluminium polymer caps to the outputs of the other four Gophert’s. Expecting more of that greatness. Yay! ? 

🎛️  Audio System