6 minutes ago, mozes said:

@Cornan I replaced my TP link power bank powering my switch with LPS-1 and it clearly better. The order of PSUs now with the switch is:

LPS-1>battery>Regular LPS>wall wart

The LPS-1 preserves the natural organic sound of the battery but adds air, details and depth.

Thanks for sharing Moussa. Just like expected. Very similar impressions to what I found with dual floating grounds. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

Thanks for sharing Moussa. Just like expected. Very similar impressions to what I found with dual floating grounds. ?

I am on a mission now to make everything powered by LPS-1. Still the battery is like 90% of it at less than 1/10 of the price

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

I have also asked ALT Hi-Fi how much he wants for a 200VA balanced AND floating isolation transformer. I have already asked him for the same one unbalanced and floating, but after reading the great posts by @Abtr how much he prefer his floating IT to be balanced wired I descided to give it a try for the fun of it. Still not intirely sure where I will put it yet though, but my primary choises in order for the moment are between these spots: post DC blocker trap filter and pre Voltcraft 1134>main router, post Ultra IT and pre active speakers in B setup, pre Gophert PSU>Thinkpad X201 or maybe a dedicated line for the Gophert PSU>Aqvox switch-8 in my A setup. We´ll see where it ends up!? :)

Interesting.. Make sure that the balanced IT doesn't have a ground/Earth connection to the (secondary) center tap and/or the equipment chassis. :)

22 minutes ago, mozes said:

I am on a mission now to make everything powered by LPS-1. Still the battery is like 90% of it at less than 1/10 of the price

Well, that's the name of the game. Many audiophiles spend a lot more for less improvement! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Just now, Abtr said:

Interesting.. Make sure that the balanced IT doesn't have a ground/Earth connection to the (secondary) center tap and/or the equipment chassis. :)

Don't worry Abtr! I explained it and even sent Alex the revised schematics you posted! I will be fun to try it out. I just might end up having to buy more balanced floating ITs from him. Atleast I hope so! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

After the report from @R1200CL that the Ghent U01 (JSSG) was´nt better than other USB cables he have tried I have been studying the construction of that USB cable for a while. Since it is not actually a starquad construction (since it uses only one wire of each) I decided to ask Ghent for a quotation of this construction instead:

1. 4 thin Data + & Data- wires in a starquad formation. Twisted in right-handed direction (from left to right). 
  2. 4 thin 5v + GND wires in a starquad formation. Twisted in a left-handed direction (from right to left).
  3. Both starquads (D+/D- & 5v&GND) are twisted together. Direction does´nt matter.
  4. The gauge must ofcource be reduced so the total area of two wires is equilliant to 24awg.
  5. JSSG with silver plated shield

I´ll hope he will be able to make it. I am all prepared to gamble and buy it without having to hear it!  :)

Normally I would´nt bother to experiment with new USB cables since I´ve been very satisfied with Elijah Audio K-Lite for a long while, but suddenly both of my setups will require 5v for the isolation to work (ISORegen and BluWave) and I´ll need to start experimenting with it again to find the optimal one (I am not interested in Lush though).

🎛️  Audio System  

When I finally descided to try the APC Line-R 1200 ac mains voltage regulator it was out of nowhere discontinued everywhere is Sweden. Last week it was at´least available at two dealers. Strange! :ph34r:

Anyway, I went for plan B and ordered a BlueWalker PowerWalker AVR 1200VA instead. It only costed me roughly $45 including freight. I will use this one pre my ATL DC blocker trap filter>Voltcraft 1134>main router to see where it ends up. If it improves SQ I will buy atleast one more for A or B setup depending on where the balanced and floating IT ends up (reason: a voltage regulator is not needed pre a balanced IT).

http://www.powerwalker.com/datasheets/AVR/PowerWalker AVR 1200.pdf

avr-1200va.thumb.jpg.d46bee70a2e0aa0f6a846a6e2ac131c6.jpg

I also could´nt resist to buy a turntable tweak when I spotted it second hand. The Zenn Audio Record Mat that can be used together with my Vibro-Stopper platter mat! :)

59a913b7e744d__72.JPG.4e5ded7569b4703fbb0dcc43acce235d.thumb.JPG.0a76dfeedc649f2992b04b1cca7b7d73.JPG

Now it is soon time to leave work and collect my ISORegen at the post office. Joy! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

After the report from @R1200CL that the Ghent U01 (JSSG) was´nt better than other USB cables he have tried I have been studying the construction of that USB cable for a while. Since it is not actually a starquad construction (since it uses only one wire of each) I decided to ask Ghent for a quotation of this construction instead:

I´ll hope he will be able to make it. I am all prepared to gamble and buy it without having to hear it!  :)

Normally I would´nt bother to experiment with new USB cables since I´ve been very satisfied with Elijah Audio K-Lite for a long while, but suddenly both of my setups will require 5v for the isolation to work (ISORegen and BluWave) and I´ll need to start experimenting with it again to find the optimal one (I am not interested in Lush though).

I hope they can make it, very interesting to know how it will perform. Currently I am using a combination of USPCB and Elijah Audio cables. I don't see my usb cables as the weak link at all. 

The ISORegen day!

IMG_6583.thumb.JPG.6361df53bf7cfa68f4a7af6b73a7624f.JPG

Exchanged my beloved Elijah Audio K-Lite 500 for the Vertere Pulse D-Fi USB cable just because I had to due to the need for 5v. Immediate impression. Dissapointed! The SQ dropped and it sounded harsh and hollow in comparence. Still there was things that improved. Better dynamics, 3D and sence of space. Things that I do like a lot. Started to wonder why? Quickly added my electrical tape trick covering the barrels of my Vertere's USB plugs. Crossing my fingers. Listening again. Aaah, what a releif! The harshness gone. The hollowness gone. Just great music again. Not improved as much as expected though, but definately improved. Mainly dynamics, but even a tad of improved 3D and space, but just by a little. Dynamics and airial omph (in lack of better word) is increased quite a bit though. A bit unsure if it is too much up front for me sensitive ears? I'll guess it will seattle down a bit after some burn-in. Overall, ISORegen is not a night-and-day transformation in my setup. A little bit better, but I'll 100% expect it to increase quite a bit when I've found the right USB cables. Right now all that remains to be done is to experiment and optimize the USB cable part of the transmission. I am sure I'll get thrilled when I get there, but not right now. Right now I am satisfied just because I know deep down inside it will be much better when I have found the right USB cable.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, mozes said:

I hope they can make it, very interesting to know how it will perform. Currently I am using a combination of USPCB and Elijah Audio cables. I don't see my usb cables as the weak link at all. 

Unfortunately Ghent turned it down since he do not know how to manually twist a starquad. He only use ready made mashine twisted starquads. Hmmm, back to the drawing board! 

Maybe I should just buy another Elijah Audio K-Lite with 5v wire? The only problem is my constant quest for something new. Lunch is new, but very mainstream. Maybe build my own? I wish I had better eyes and could solder much better. Decisions, decisions! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

20 minutes ago, mozes said:

I don't think you will do better than the USPCB, if it wasn't very short I would use it through out my chain

I do use the USPCB between the ISORegen and Brooklyn and I own a second USPCBs as well, but the distance is too long to my Aries Mini. Maybe I could squeeze them all into the same spot, but it would'nt look nice and it would'nt be easy to manage. I just prefer WAF and usability before SQ if I have to choose! ??

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

The ISORegen day!

IMG_6583.thumb.JPG.6361df53bf7cfa68f4a7af6b73a7624f.JPG

Exchanged my beloved Elijah Audio K-Lite 500 for the Vertere Pulse D-Fi USB cable just because I had to due to the need for 5v. Immediate impression. Dissapointed! The SQ dropped and it sounded harsh and hollow in comparence. Still there was things that improved. Better dynamics, 3D and sence of space. Things that I do like a lot. Started to wonder why? Quickly added my electrical tape trick covering the barrels of my Vertere's USB plugs. Crossing my fingers. Listening again. Aaah, what a releif! The harshness gone. The hollowness gone. Just great music again. Not improved as much as expected though, but definately improved. Mainly dynamics, but even a tad of improved 3D and space, but just by a little. Dynamics and airial omph (in lack of better word) is increased quite a bit though. A bit unsure if it is too much up front for me sensitive ears? I'll guess it will seattle down a bit after some burn-in. Overall, ISORegen is not a night-and-day transformation in my setup. A little bit better, but I'll 100% expect it to increase quite a bit when I've found the right USB cables. Right now all that remains to be done is to experiment and optimize the USB cable part of the transmission. I am sure I'll get thrilled when I get there, but not right now. Right now I am satisfied just because I know deep down inside it will be much better when I have found the right USB cable.

Give the ISO-R at least 50 to 100 hours to burn in. It definitely improves a lot, especially in the harshness. I also feel it opens up in terms of image size and depth.

Did you get the LPS-1 with it?

49 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I do use the USPCB between the ISORegen and Brooklyn and I own a second USPCBs as well, but the distance is too long to my Aries Mini. Maybe I could squeeze them all into the same spot, but it would'nt look nice and it would'nt be easy to manage. I just prefer WAF and usability before SQ if I have to choose! ??

Did the Iso Regen show its magic in your system?

52 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Give the ISO-R at least 50 to 100 hours to burn in. It definitely improves a lot, especially in the harshness. I also feel it opens up in terms of image size and depth.

Did you get the LPS-1 with it?

I will be patient. I know it requires more than just plug-and-play to make it shine! ?

No, I'm powering the ISORegen the exact same way as the Rege Amber. With a dual floating Gophert.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Did the Iso Regen show its magic in your system?

No, not yet anyway. Even the Ghent ET02 had more impact on SQ to be honest. However, I am quite sure it will improve further with burn-in and another USB cable between IR and Aries Mini.

With that said it does sound better than with Regen Amber, but just a little. I guess I had higher expectations.

🎛️  Audio System  

30 minutes ago, Cornan said:

No, not yet anyway. Even the Ghent ET02 had more impact on SQ to be honest. However, I am quite sure it will improve further with burn-in and another USB cable between IR and Aries Mini.

With that said it does sound better than with Regen Amber, but just a little. I guess I had higher expectations.

This is a bit odd, it elevated my system in a significant way eventhough my system is already very well isolated and have the best reclcocking after it

3 minutes ago, mozes said:

This is a bit odd, it elevated my system in a significant way eventhough my system is already very well isolated and have the best reclcocking after it

I do think the PSU matters a great deal. I wish @Cornan could hear something like the LPS-1 for himself. It would be interesting to see if he hears an improvement.

I have nothing but admiration and respect for his approach, but IMHO, you have to address all three legs of the  stool  with DC PSUs for stellar performance. They are:

1. Reduction of leakage loops. This is where Michal has probably gone further than any CA'er with floating supplies, ground lift, bespoke cables, etc. So he's got this one covered! 
  2. Very low output impedance: this is where a lot of the expense of PSUs come into play. I don't think "lab" supplies are designed with this in mind.
  3. Very low output ripple and output noise: this is where SMPSes are weak. Now, some manufacturers like SOtM take great pains to address this with filtering, as in the sPS-500, but I don't know a priori what lab supplies like Gophert do.

My point is - it would be awesome to do a bake off between Michal's approach with ground lift techniques using cheaper SMPS lab supplies against a more expensive PSU like the LPS-1 that builds all this in. I would keep an open mind, and if Michal's approach gives the same or better performance, that would be a huge finding!

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I do think the PSU matters a great deal. I wish @Cornan could hear something like the LPS-1 for himself. It would be interesting to see if he hears an improvement.

I have nothing but admiration and respect for his approach, but IMHO, you have to address all three legs of the  stool  with DC PSUs for stellar performance. They are:

1. Reduction of leakage loops. This is where Michal has probably gone further than any CA'er with floating supplies, ground lift, bespoke cables, etc. So he's got this one covered! 
  2. Very low output impedance: this is where a lot of the expense of PSUs come into play. I don't think "lab" supplies are designed with this in mind.
  3. Very low output ripple and output noise: this is where SMPSes are weak. Now, some manufacturers like SOtM take great pains to address this with filtering, as in the sPS-500, but I don't know a priori what lab supplies like Gophert do.

My point is - it would be awesome to do a bake off between Michal's approach with ground lift techniques using cheaper SMPS lab supplies against a more expensive PSU like the LPS-1 that builds all this in. I would keep an open mind, and if Michal's approach gives the same or better performance, that would be a huge finding!

Great points Rajiv, especially the PSU, I use my IR with an LPS-1 and I never tried anything else to benchmark. I am now confident that nothing beats LPS-1 excluding VR mini so I don't bother testing here.

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Great points Rajiv, especially the PSU, I use my IR with an LPS-1 and I never tried anything else to benchmark. I am now confident that nothing beats LPS-1 excluding VR mini so I don't bother testing here.

Anyone have any experience with any of the SoTM power supplies (SMS-SDs 1000 or the SMS 500)? 

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

The ISO Regen elevated the sound quality in my system a lot and instantly too! Even better was when I added my IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 after the ISO Regen! 

I currently have only one LPS-1, so I've been experimenting back and forth between having it power either the ISO Regen OR the Micro iUSB, I can't decide where the LPS-1 is better, so I now just have it powering the IFI Micro iUSB since that is the last device in the USB chain (any thoughts?? Is the last device the best location for the LPS-1 or the first device?? ). 

Also, the USPCB out of either the ISO Regen or the Micro iUSB into the Brooklyn DAC DID NOT sound great in my system (a little harsh), so I connected the USPCB out of my Aurrender into ISO Regen and then Cardas USB cable into Micro iUSB and a second Cardas into the Brooklyn and it sounds best that way (took away the harshness). I also have 2 USPCB's and tried all sorts of different combos. 

I also have a special custom made Split Y Ghent USB JSSG cable and I did not like it in my system (harsh), but to be fair I did not break it in for very long, I'll prob just try to sell it or cut off The power only USB A end and try a screw on D.C. Connector into the LPS-1 as a fun experiment?? 

52 minutes ago, mozes said:

I have been experimenting a bit with USB cable between IR and Aries Mini. I can say with 100% certainty that I prefer IR with isolation off using my unshielded Elijah Audio K-Lite with battery injection to shielded Vertere Pulse D-Fi with IR isolation on so far. Unfortunately Brooklyn looses the handshake after a while with battery injection so it is no go!

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I have been experimenting a bit with USB cable between IR and Aries Mini. I can say with 100% certainty that I prefer IR with isolation off using my unshielded Elijah Audio K-Lite with battery injection to shielded Vertere Pulse D-Fi with IR isolation on so far. Unfortunately Brooklyn looses the handshake after a while with battery injection so it is no go!

I hate to say it, but I think you need to get an LPS-1 for your ISO Regen, I think the combo of the two together is where the magic happens. 

11 minutes ago, agladstone said:

The ISO Regen elevated the sound quality in my system a lot and instantly too! Even better was when I added my IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 after the ISO Regen! 

I currently have only one LPS-1, so I've been experimenting back and forth between having it power either the ISO Regen OR the Micro iUSB, I can't decide where the LPS-1 is better, so I now just have it powering the IFI Micro iUSB since that is the last device in the USB chain (any thoughts?? Is the last device the best location for the LPS-1 or the first device?? ). 

Also, the USPCB out of either the ISO Regen or the Micro iUSB into the Brooklyn DAC DID NOT sound great in my system (a little harsh), so I connected the USPCB out of my Aurrender into ISO Regen and then Cardas USB cable into Micro iUSB and a second Cardas into the Brooklyn and it sounds best that way (took away the harshness). I also have 2 USPCB's and tried all sorts of different combos. 

I also have a special custom made Split Y Ghent USB JSSG cable and I did not like it in my system (harsh), but to be fair I did not break it in for very long, I'll prob just try to sell it or cut off The power only USB A end and try a screw on D.C. Connector into the LPS-1 as a fun experiment?? 

For me it was not that big jump. It do sounds better now than with the Regen Amber when the USB barrels are covered with electrical tape. I also sense that it is improving while I'm listening. Still a bit harsh, but it's too early to make any assumptions. I'll keep on playing and see what happens! ?

Regarding what is best to power I'm just wondering why not power both with a single LPS-1 if it have juice enough for the job. As long as the LPS-1 is connected to a isolation transformer with floating secondary no noise will be shared between those devices. They are also doing the similar jobs and no problem with different signal noises interfearences either. Just a thought. Otherwise I do not think it makes a difference if it is in the beginning of the end of the path, but best is of course to power both with one or two LPS-1 depending where the LPS-1 is plugged in.

🎛️  Audio System