IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Can anybody explain me the economic or other rationale of Stereophiles MQA unconditional endorsement?! Today another DAC review is up that sings the song of MQAs qualities.

More importantly even goes so far as to hit competing vendors for not including MQA:

"If you were contemplating the purchase of a new DAC, why would you not want it to include MQA processing?"

and

"Schiit's reference DAC would be my reference DAC—if only it had MQA"

etc, etc.

Audio reviews are audio reviews but this level of ignoring the wider discussion and including specific vitriol is astonishing. Why?!

We need to discuss the levels of absurdity this "review" reaches.

This is the second such piece of drivel that promotes MQA with the DAC in question a side note.

Secondly, did I miss it, but the only source he used for this MQA PR is an "MQA encoded CD"??????

Please if I missed it can someone point out and what sources were used???

Does the MyTek DAC process any file into MQA on the fly?????

Did I also miss any reference to Tidal?

I have never seen such a ill equipped "reviewer" and I have never seen a more coordinate shill job.

"DSD and high-resolution downloads never sound completely right or real to me. MQA does"

LOL! Lose the wig Herb..

21 minutes ago, Digital Assassin said:

DSD and high-resolution downloads never sound completely right or real to me. MQA does

And then he says

Listening to CDs or PCM files through the Manhattan II, I discovered that it was best to disable MQA and its built-in minimum-phase PCM filter. With MQA enabled, PCM files and CDs sounded smooth and open, but maybe a little roundish and gray.
So unless you listen exclusively to TIDAL MQA files ... you get the picture.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hello All,

I think some very astute comments are being made that deserve a response from Sterophile and/or JA. As noted before he does not seem to participate in this forum, but he is almost always quite responsive to queries posted at:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=critics

Each forum has different rules. The rules at The Audio Asylum are fairly simple - if one has any affiliation with the audio industry in any way, you agree to use your real name and disclose your affiliation.. Manufacturers are not allowed to reply to general questions (eg, "What CD player should I buy?") but can respond to specific questions about the equipment they manufacture (eg, "What is the power consumption of an Ayre CD player?"). Sign up is free and easy.

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Thx Charles - will do. Traveling atm so might take a day or two before getting around to it.

Also commenting on individual articles is possible on the Stereophile site itself. Archimago has been very present there and some Stereophile writers including JA sometimes respond.

They quality of their responses is another story. It's really a lesson in sidestepping issues and de-legitimizing the commenters.

8 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hello All,

I think some very astute comments are being made that deserve a response from Sterophile and/or JA. As noted before he does not seem to participate in this forum, but he is almost always quite responsive to queries posted at:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=critics

Each forum has different rules. The rules at The Audio Asylum are fairly simple - if one has any affiliation with the audio industry in any way, you agree to use your real name and disclose your affiliation.. Manufacturers are not allowed to reply to general questions (eg, "What CD player should I buy?") but can respond to specific questions about the equipment they manufacture (eg, "What is the power consumption of an Ayre CD player?"). Sign up is free and easy.

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Can we ask questions like:

"Why are you publishing DISHONEST and disingenuous "reviews" masquerading as infomercials for MQA?"

"Are you being promised a piece of the pie if there is an acquisition?"

8 minutes ago, crenca said:

I have followed and participated in a few exchanges with JA on the Sterophile blog about MQA.  My conclusion is that they went "all in" with MQA very very early and don't have a way to save face and thus are going down with the ship.  I do mean all of them - perhaps only the new girl has any distance/criticism of MQA at all.  How they got to this point is interesting to think about:

It all went down hill there when JGH started to accept advertising. (dealers only originally).

Today we have a little club of the high ends manufacturers, dealers, print media, web media, etc; .  Their position is that whatever is good for commerce in the High End industry is good for everyone, they'll all make $ at the end of the road.  Things like the reality of a products audible benefits take a back seat to anything that a good spin can be spun around. If it looks like a highly profitable path, a thousand veils are lifted and soundstages gain dimensionality.

Yea, right.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

"a thousand veils are lifted"

If I was going to start a new ("objectivist" of course) audiophile blog or publication I think that would be the name ;)

I has a kind of haiku ring to it.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

37 minutes ago, mansr said:

the cable is plugged

a thousand veils are lifted

after the burn-in

For a  $500 premium you can get them pre burned in.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But not cryogenically treated?

Chris,

Why the snarkiness? The only difference between the original Berkeley DAC (your long time reference) and your even more beloved "Reference Series" (at nearly 3x the price) was upgraded passive parts quality - things that shouldn't make a difference yet obviously do to a trained listener with a familiar system playing familiar music. Specifically, a chassis machined from solid billet instead of bent sheet metal and a change from "standard" FR-4 PCB material to Rogers 4000 series, a low-loss material designed for GHz range circuits.

I think this is more than enough about who can hear what differences, and is certainly not the place. Please return to discussions about MQA.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

4 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Chris,

Why the snarkiness? The only difference between the original Berkeley DAC (your long time reference) and your even more beloved "Reference Series" (at nearly 3x the price) was upgraded passive parts quality - things that shouldn't make a difference yet obviously do to a trained listener with a familiar system playing familiar music. Specifically, a chassis machined from solid billet instead of bent sheet metal and a change from "standard" FR-4 PCB material to Rogers 4000 series, a low-loss material designed for GHz range circuits.

I think this is more than enough about who can hear what differences, and is certainly not the place. Please return to discussions about MQA.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

It was just a joke.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png