IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Your repeated use of the term "shill" is completely unwarranted.  It is a shame that Computer Audiophile even allows such personal attacks.  I have made a good faith effort to report what I have found works in audio.  Having a different opinion is not cause for belittling my hard work to interview a variety of folks working in the industry and report what I find.

Lee, if anything, "shill" might be on the polite side to describe what you're doing.

Since you seem to fancy yourself an investigative, critical writer, know this: how much time you spent with a source is irrelevant, as is how much effort you put into that conversation. While your effort is appreciated (and, in this case, it truly is, here, have a participation trophy), please have the dignity not to come crying a river if some of your readers feel like you're giving a pair of conmen a platform. Rather, put a good faith effort into asking yourself where you went wrong, and correct it.

49 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

My sources tell me Meridian is actually tremendously profitable firm and has made a boatload on licensing deals.

Please kindly note my use of "creative, Richemont accounting".

As far as 2015 is concerned, and public filings, your sources would appear to be correct, and it would appear that Meridian did indeed make a boatload by selling MQA to Reinet Investments SARL, a Luxembourg-registered subsidiary of Richemont.

Them losing money also doesn't mean they're losing money for everyone, of course... it's not like they aren't repaying their loans, or interest on their loans, now is it...

Just now, rickca said:

I agree, that train left the station a long time ago.  You don't think MQA needs to generate consumer demand?

You really think they're going to leave it up to consumers to demand anything ? Because I hear both the RIAA and JAS are supportive of the technology.

4 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

The engineers wing of the Recording Academy recommendations for Hi-Rez AUdio.  40 odd pages, not a single mention of MQA. From Nov, 2107.

https://www.grammypro.com/sites/default/files/recommendations_for_hires_music_production_10_10_17.pdf

I was quoting Rob Stuart's Dec. 2015 MQA public filings (it's on page 4). Some may of course say "supportive" is a bit, somewhat, noncommital...

12 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

The engineers wing of the Recording Academy recommendations for Hi-Rez AUdio.  40 odd pages, not a single mention of MQA. From Nov, 2107.

https://www.grammypro.com/sites/default/files/recommendations_for_hires_music_production_10_10_17.pdf

Pages 4:

Sales of Hi-Resolution Audio downloads from companies such as HD Tracks and Pro Studio Masters have become a healthy business with many subscription streaming services focusing on the delivery of higher quality audio, whether CD-quality or true Hi-Resolution using MQA. And now, most record companies require the delivery of hi-res masters because they recognize new opportunities to monetize better-sounding music.

And 34:

New technologies like Master Quality Authenticated (MQA), which enables hi-res audio streaming, make a difference in the marketplace. MQA is a particularly important enhancement for the consumer who wants the best audio quality but who also enjoys the musical experience of sites such as Apple Music and Spotify. Delivered via Tidal.com, MQA has gained acceptance from many of the most highly respected members of the professional audio community.

Just now, Fair Hedon said:

NO mention of MQA with regard to any technical standards or workflow procedures.

I happen to know for a FACT that the MQA mention was insisted upon by Bob Ludwig, who is hoping to profit with MQA and was paid to make promotional videos.

Oh, ok. Sorry for missing your point.

For those who'd like a slightly lateral take on whether bandwidth savings matter to the experience of even mobile users going forward, there's an interesting piece on Qualcomm (the guys who make the radio chips in cellphones) right here. It's a bit starry-eyed, but contrast this to the utility claims MQA is making :

Sometime in the next two or three years, if all goes to plan, Qualcomm will play a leading role in building the world a new wireless network. LTE and 4G will be replaced by 5G, a new system that uses the super-high-frequency millimeter-wave spectrum to send way more data, way more quickly. "It's faster than what's in your home, faster than what's at work," says Sherif Hanna, Qualcomm's director of product marketing. You'll be able to download movies in a few seconds, or stream high-res VR content. Internet speeds will effectively stop being an issue.

27 minutes ago, Alan B said:

It will be a .25 cent DAC, but will cost the consumer $25....Bob has to get his cut

In all fairness to .25 cent DACs, iPhones, for example, seem to not measure that badly, and, at 17 bits, are essentially everything you'll ever really get out of MQA...

Come to think about it, it'd make for a great marketing campaign... "MQA: Out of the box, it's worse than CD, but if you give us money, we'll make it sound as good as an iPhone from 3 years ago !".

3 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Think about this for a minute.

The original 24/192 file is being folded into a 24/48 file, then unfolded, then played back while streaming with no loss of fidelity to experienced ears compared to the original file.

That seems to indicate the claimed “17 bits” contains all of the music.

The triangular encoding must be robust.

Please allow me to rephrase your argument in a way you'll be able to comprehend:

"The 16/44 file is being compressed into a much smaller file at around 320kbps, then uncompressed while streaming with no loss of fidelity to experienced ears. That seems to indicate the claimed "lossy mp3 compression" contains all of the music."

I'm not saying that 320kbps isn't lossy, I'm saying it's indistinguishable from the lossless original.

5 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I ask the anti MQA brigade..why did Tidal, which has 2 million CD quality albums to stream, and the labels, sign contracts with MQA if it has so many supposed negatives? I ask for serious replies.

Tidal, I don't know. Labels are shareholders, so that might be an incentive, I don't know the details of the financials there. And, for them, there's the open question of what capabilities MQA's DRM has.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...