IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 hours ago, lucretius said:

I've never been able to find a digital version of this that doesn't suffer from a high level of tape hiss.

Perhaps this is a fringe opinion, but I've always believed the existence of tape hiss on a digital transfer was a good sign that the digital restoration didn't overdo it on the noise reduction.  In other words, tape hiss = fidelity.

In the 2000s, too many remasters had way too liberal amounts of NoNOISE applied, which tended to suck the life out of the music.

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Perhaps this is a fringe opinion, but I've always believed the existence of tape hiss on a digital transfer was a good sign that the digital restoration didn't overdo it on the noise reduction.  In other words, tape hiss = fidelity.

In the 2000s, too many remasters had way too liberal amounts of NoNOISE applied, which tended to suck the life out of the music.

Agreed, it was like the old dolby noise reduction on cassette tape players, it reduced the hiss but muffled the playback as well

8 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Agreed, it was like the old dolby noise reduction on cassette tape players, it reduced the hiss but muffled the playback as well

Wow.

The way Dolby B works does not muffle the playback. Dolby encoded tapes had the tape hiss frequencies recorded about 9dB louder than normal. Then, when played back with Dolby B on on the tape player, those frequencies were played 9dB quieter than normal. The net effect was lowering tape hiss by about 9dB.

But you knew that, right?  o.O

In my experience, Dolby B seldom delivered on its promises.  Mass produced, pre-recorded tapes were dubbed at high speed, which typically created a treble starved cassette (there are technical reasons for this).  Add some Dolby B to the mix, and you would indeed get what people in the 70s used to call "muffled" sound.

On a three head cassette deck (where the gap in the record and playback heads was optimized), at home, good results could be had with Dolby B until you played that tape somewhere else.  Unless the next cassette playback device had a head alignment that was very close to your home deck, engaging Dolby B could once again "muffle" playback.

So unless A) you recorded the tape yourself on a high quality deck and B), you played it back on another high quality deck and C), both decks were aligned accurately, you rarely engaged the Dolby B circuit unless you wanted "muffled" playback.  Ironically, many people I knew (me too) engaged Dolby B when recording because it boosted high frequencies, making a tape that had better overall treble response (but with full knowledge that an audiophile anathema had been created :)).

Advances like Type II (a.k.a., "CrO2") and Type IV (a.k.a., "metal") tape and Dolby C and S improved the cassette experience, but in the end, the tech mostly died when CDs rose in popularity.

48 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Wow.

The way Dolby B works does not muffle the playback. Dolby encoded tapes had the tape hiss frequencies recorded about 9dB louder than normal. Then, when played back with Dolby B on on the tape player, those frequencies were played 9dB quieter than normal. The net effect was lowering tape hiss by about 9dB.

But you knew that, right?  o.O

Uhhh, I think that was like in the nineties? My cassette player had a button it for "dolby", I didn't use encoded tapes, I had no idea how it worked, I just knew I didn't like the dolby button and preferred some hiss.

I still have some cassettes but no player.

26 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

In my experience, Dolby B seldom delivered on its promises.  Mass produced, pre-recorded tapes were dubbed at high speed, which typically created a treble starved cassette (there are technical reasons for this).  Add some Dolby B to the mix, and you would indeed get what people in the 70s used to call "muffled" sound.

On a three head cassette deck (where the gap in the record and playback heads was optimized), at home, good results could be had with Dolby B until you played that tape somewhere else.  Unless the next cassette playback device had a head alignment that was very close to your home deck, engaging Dolby B could once again "muffle" playback.

So unless A) you recorded the tape yourself on a high quality deck and B), you played it back on another high quality deck and C), both decks were aligned accurately, you rarely engaged the Dolby B circuit unless you wanted "muffled" playback.  Ironically, many people I knew (me too) engaged Dolby B when recording because it boosted high frequencies, making a tape that had better overall treble response (but with full knowledge that an audiophile anathema had been created :)).

Advances like Type II (a.k.a., "CrO2") and Type IV (a.k.a., "metal") tape and Dolby C and S improved the cassette experience, but in the end, the tech mostly died when CDs rose in popularity.

Muffled sound when played on decks that didn't have Dolby B. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Of course it did. That was on purpose as those same treble frequencies were boosted on the Dolby B encoded tapes....

I unabashedly loved cassettes back in the day.  And I didn't even have the vaunted Nakamichi Dragon.  But in the 70s, Dolby B was kind of a joke.  I used to make kick ass tapes, but only one friend, with an Alpine car deck, appreciated the quality of my tapes.  In the days of "power boosters" and Jensen 6x9 "coaxial" speakers, the Dolby button typically made the treble vanish.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I unabashedly loved cassettes back in the day.  And I didn't even have the vaunted Nakamichi Dragon.  But in the 70s, Dolby B was kind of a joke.  I used to make kick ass tapes, but only one friend, with an Alpine car deck, appreciated the quality of my tapes.  In the days of "power boosters" and Jensen 6x9 "coaxial" speakers, the Dolby button typically made the treble vanish.

Of course it did. It lowered the output in a certain treble range by 9dB. I found tape hiss noise reduction useless in a car anyway since ambient noise was just as big a problem.

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

That's one way to look at it.  It seems I had less tape hiss from cassettes -- but then I used whatever Dolby I had on my deck.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I unabashedly loved cassettes back in the day.  And I didn't even have the vaunted Nakamichi Dragon.

I still have two of these :

011RealOldStuff.thumb.jpg.cf44a3f7cdb4dc79bb12e5bf1f08963b.jpg

(and 600 or so cassettes)

Nakamichi 700 Tri-tracer.

I think it was rated Pro gear back in the days (and this guy had the first when he was 11 or 12)

I recorded with Dolbly-B and played back without it. I also increased the tension of the spring/cushion that pressed the tape to the head, of each cassete.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

3 hours ago, fung0 said:

That trading community, hundreds of thousands strong, was eagerly awaiting DAT as a replacement for cassette. But after fighting so hard for our VCR rights, Sony torpedoed digital audio tape by building in DRM.

... And I also have 500 DAT tapes ... still waiting to be ripped (will never happen I guess).

That "DRM" (which was not called like that) was an electronic feature which could be tampered with. At least by decks could hence I took care to buy the right ones for the job.

I recall DAT that as my first endeavors of not understanding digital, because digital was digital and still DAT sounded worse than CD. But this was loooong ago.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

20 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I recorded with Dolbly-B and played back without it. I also increased the tension of the spring/cushion that pressed the tape to the head, of each cassete.

All of the dual-capstan Nakamichis had pressure pad lifters to keep the pressure pad retracted. They used differential capstan speed to maintain a consistent tape tension across the heads.

I found Dolby B and C did work well on the 3-head Nakamichis, because they had enough HF bandwidth and tape level capability. Most decks had Dolby calibration level about +3dB, the Naks had it at 0 or -3 depending on the deck.  I had 2 decks that I matched in level and response so that I could record on one deck, then move the tape to the other and have the levels and frequency response matched to less than 0.5 dB. Nakamichi helpfully included RC networks on the circuit board so that you could add/remove solder bridges to fine tune the responses.

But as you point out, as soon as you moved the tape to a lesser deck with poorer HF frequency response, you may as well turn the Dolby off.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

9 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Yes, that is because the MQA-organized group has directed its trolls to distract from all threads about MQA - much like happens in political races where there are "astro-turf" (fake grassroots) campaigns designed to deceive the public.

It looks like a general interest group started by Peter Veth and not some industry group. Thou doth protest too much?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

I understand that many analog master tapes were done with Dolby or some other noise reduction.

(off topic)

According to standard studio practice  decks are regularly aligned, and each tape is first recorded with test signals so that any future replay machine can be aligned to that tape.

So apart from accidental misalignment or from the real artefacts that some of the NR systems introduced (pumping, noise modulation), this was not an issue for pro use.

It is this lack of repeated alignment that makes the use of double ended noise reduction in a consumer environment so troublesome.

And to get back on topic, more or less, it is the need for precise alignment that makes a modern digital-domain implementation of any noise reduction decoder so hard.

2 hours ago, Don Hills said:

All of the dual-capstan Nakamichis had pressure pad lifters to keep the pressure pad retracted. They used differential capstan speed to maintain a consistent tape tension across the heads.

I found Dolby B and C did work well on the 3-head Nakamichis, because they had enough HF bandwidth and tape level capability. Most decks had Dolby calibration level about +3dB, the Naks had it at 0 or -3 depending on the deck.  I had 2 decks that I matched in level and response so that I could record on one deck, then move the tape to the other and have the levels and frequency response matched to less than 0.5 dB. Nakamichi helpfully included RC networks on the circuit board so that you could add/remove solder bridges to fine tune the responses.

But as you point out, as soon as you moved the tape to a lesser deck with poorer HF frequency response, you may as well turn the Dolby off.

Count me as another of those who found Nakamichi to work well with Dolby.  Did all my needledrops (not what they were called then) with Dolby C and good tapes.  Of course I played them back on Nak tape decks.  I even had Nak head units in my cars in those years.  A TD700 and TD500.  Those head units were excellent all the way around.  Not only great tape sections, the FM tuners were exemplary as well.  Still have one head unit, one home tape deck and some tapes. 

Image result for nakamichi td 700

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.