IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 minutes ago, Indydan said:

It does not mean they love DSD or MQA.

I'd bet that Berkeley and dCS got a special deal so MQA would have the cache of some high-end brands.

Nearly all of the apparent momentum in MQA is attributable to business development investment by MQA.  It's not like they have revenue pouring in.  It's all demand generation.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

12 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

And indeed WD could be one of the names on that list!

This is an MQA thread, and that car and that dCs player represent absolute pinnacle audio quality.

Top quality products include MQA- get it? That is the path of best SQ. Those companies wouldn't degrade those products at those prices right? 

13 minutes ago, Indydan said:

That is because DCS knows there are a lot of gullible people who will complain that a 30 000$ component does not even have MQA. That is also why some manufacturers have included DSD in their DACs, so they do not lose sales to people who do not know better.

It does not mean they love DSD or MQA. 

As a general rule wealthy people who buy $30K dacs aren't gullible, they are discerning.

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd bet that Berkeley and dCS got a special deal so MQA would have the cache of some high-end brands.

Nearly all of the apparent momentum in MQA is attributable to business development investment by MQA.  It's not like they have revenue pouring in.  It's all demand generation.

I thought the MQA momentum was because of this thread? :) 

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

This is an MQA thread, and those are that car and that dCs player represent absolute pinnacle quality.

Top quality products include MQA- get it? That is the path of best SQ. Those companies wouldn't degrade those products at those prices right? 

Hi,

The start of a recording is the 192kHz file at whatever bit depth in the studio, where MQA applies a lossy algorithm, with bad filters that cause aliasing, and no deblurring, as has been shown by the reverse engineering on this site.

Therefore, how is MQA the path of best SQ ???.

Surely, the original master is the best sound quality which can be available as a download depending on the recording ?

Regards,

Shadders.

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

The start of a recording is the 192kHz file at whatever bit depth in the studio, where MQA applies a lossy algorithm, with bad filters that cause aliasing, and no deblurring, as has been shown by the reverse engineering on this site.

Therefore, how is MQA the path of best SQ ???.

Surely, the original master is the best sound quality which can be available as a download depending on the recording ?

Regards,

Shadders.

I said the path, not the goal line.

At AES the focus was on improving hirez mastering. Once the current generation of engineers start matering in MQA rather than converting back catalogs I think you will see an improvement. Thus it is a path, not a we are already their.

Just now, witchdoctor said:

I said the path, not the goal line.

At AES the focus was on improving hirez mastering. Once the current generation of engineers start matering in MQA rather than converting back catalogs I think you will see an improvement. Thus it is a path, not a we are already their.

Hi,

Someone will have to confirm this, but MQA is not a mastering process, it is applied at the end once all mastering has been completed.

Once MQA, which is lossy, has been applied, this application/process CANNOT be reversed. You have a lossy file.

Therefore, the path, as you put it, is the final solution - a lossy file with aliasing, and no de-blurring, since there is no going back.

Regards,

Shadders.

10 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

You don't like MQA NP. I do, that doesn't mean I am spamming we just have different taste. 

Hi,

The video you presented does NOT support your postulation that MQA is a tool used for mastering.

How can it - it is a lossy algorithm, and i am sure that the recording studio want all their 24bits or 32bits in the master recordings.

Regards,

Shadders.

5 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

However they are monumentally important to the ARTISTS! If an artist puts their music out they want it to be heard as intended, period.

If only this were true, remember the loudness wars?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Just remembered, the Vivaldi One has AirPlay too.  They didn’t mention this at Windsor either......

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

25 minutes ago, Confused said:

I attended the dCS Vivaldi One demonstration at the Windsor hifi show last weekend.  The demonstration used a mixture of CD and SACD material.  No mention was made of MQA.  These are the facts, make of it what you will.

Subjectively, the sound quality was superb playing red book CD.

Nice, I don't know that Tidal is available in the UK yet or maybe they didn't have internet. Thanks for sharing!

5 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

How about what we agree with and why? :) 

I'm way more interested in understanding why just posting marketing collateral:

3 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

How the witchdoctor "rolls" with MQA-  mobile, agile, and high style:

923134305680928769https://twitter.com/MeridianAudio/status/923134305680928769

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

One of the BEST musical sources in the world dCS Vivaldi One does MQA (of course)

Reflecting the unique nature of Vivaldi One, each piece is personally supplied to the customer by an expert dCS engineer, who will configure it to get the best possible sound.

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/news/

...qualifies as discussion vs. blatantly using the forum as some kind of marketing/advertising vehicle for MQA.  Is pro-MQA post count your ultimate goal?  Are you trying to drown out MQA dissent by flooding the forum with MQA spam?

Please, a real response this time, not some lame "agree to disagree" dodge.

4 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm way more interested in understanding why just posting marketing collateral:

...qualifies as discussion vs. blatantly using the forum as some kind of marketing/advertising vehicle for MQA.  Is pro-MQA post count your ultimate goal?  Are you trying to drown out MQA dissent by flooding the forum with MQA spam?

Please, a real response this time, not some lame "agree to disagree" dodge.

no thank you, we just need to agree to disagree

9 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Generally not with Beats, where fashion is the point.  Beats (Apple) now has a higher end to try to give themselves some audiophile cred.  Too little, too late.

Yeah, and we all know how much Apple cares about audiophiles. They have a higher end because they can sell headphones that cost more so they make more. I’m not sure they would even care to compete with “audiophile” headphones seeing as it’s such a small piece of a very small pie. 

David