IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

12 hours ago, tims said:

Did you make this silver cable yourself (by twisting single silver conductors into a star-quad configuration) or buy a silver star quad cable off the shelf?

The base of this cable is a double shielded Neotech 16AWG solid core silver cable purchased from Audio Sensibility in a twisted pair configuration.  I first setup the cable in JSSG360 configuration with the double shield, and then added the third layer to make it JSSG360^3.

18 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

What’s the capacitor near the back plate of the NUC MB?

That is the Evox cap.

16 hours ago, Dev said:

Did you buy the industrial type ? Any links to the place you bought the  memory from ?

Yes, these are the Industrial RAMs.  Aside from SOS, they can also be purchased from Mouser with a higher price.

1 hour ago, Bricki said:

just confirming that you had all 3 layers of shield connected at both ends and each shield separated by a layer of insulation... with nothing connected to ground?

Yes, confirmed.  Please see pictures below as reference.  Looking forward to your impression when you are done.

First two layer shields connected together without connected to ground:

1926573492_20190813_175111-Shieldimpedancecheck.thumb.jpg.efe5657142149be9683eef1d23e2166d.jpg

I left about 6mm of section exposed (Red Circles) without heat shrink tubing to connect to the third layer shield:JSSC360-Inked.thumb.jpg.005a5b5aac065c2212f49487b589cba7.jpg

Third layer added:

20190921_163506.thumb.jpg.316c1a90e61f73e7fa72d7bb39f35b12.jpg

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Elan did you modify the capacitor in that PSU yourself or was it stock? 

John, if you were asking the capacitors on the bottom of the picture, then no, they are stock, but if you refer to the capacitor at the output side of DC cable, then sort of, I added this capacitor.

3 hours ago, Bricki said:

Awesome! My next step is to try this jssg360x2 on my ethernet cable 😁👍

Thank you for the experiment result.  I completed the second Lush^2 cable modification earlier, been listening the music for the past two hours and the result is even more evidence.  I also plan to experiment more configurations especially JSSG360x2link and JSSG360x2bullseye mentioned by @ray-dude, but as of now, this is the best configuration I have experienced.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm still early in the process of really understanding the various filters in HQP, but if you have a Chord DAC and don't have a Hugo mScaler or Blu2 and want a sneak peek at what it would sound like, I suggest the following: PCM only, auto family, sinc-M filter, no dither, 768k sampling limit as a pretty damn good starting point. poly-sinc-long-lp was also quite good (and I prefered it on initial listen), but I preferred sinc-M after extended listening.

In general, if you want to mimic the HMS sound, stick with linear phase filters (timing accuracy), disable volume adjustments in HQP (let the DAC handle that), do as much in PCM land as you can (Rob's DACs play nicer with PCM than DSD, also a LOT less CPU load to upsample), target 768k as max sample rate (assuming you have a Chord DAC that can accept that rate on USB...basically everything newer than the TT), and use auto-family to restrict to powers of 2 upsampling.

I find HQP excellent, but not quite where HMS is.  It is an open question whether more taps in the filter (any chance for a sinc-2M PCM filter @Miska? I'd be delighted to beta test!), more precision in the filter coefficients (no idea what precision HQP uses...Rob has claimed 16 bit precision in his sinc coefficients), or some magic in the noise shaping (this is the most opaque part of the pipeline for me, with the most secret sauce) is the remaining gap.  

For now, I would characterize both of them as excellent, with the edge to HMS.  With updated filters (or better understanding of how to optimize the filters in my chain), things are danger close.  Jussi is to be congratulated for a remarkable product, and an extraordinarily generous full feature free 30 minute trial mode.

Very nice description of HQP @ray-dude, have you had a chance to test the EC modulators with DSD256?  In my system, I prefer them slightly more, but certainly your suggested PCM only, auto family, sinc-M filter, no dither, 768k sampling is very likable as well.  On a side note, when upsampled to PCM1536, SQ elevate to another notch, however, I don't have the luxury to compare with Chord DAC as you do.

2 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

I installed the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX converter that arrive today in my low-footprint audio PC. It only uses the first DC-in for 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS. (SATA is de-activated in this PC.)

The sound difference is immediate. A much broader spectrum with more dynamics. Alas also more strident (irritants), so I hope that breaking it in for a week or so will make a difference. 

Good to know it is making such a positive impact.  What do you use to feed the DC-ATX converter?

23 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Currently SBooster BOTW ECO 19V, but I ordered an SR4. (The 800W replaced a HDPlex 250W DC-ATX.)

Sounds like your system is "relatively" low power as SR4 has a maximum output current at 2A.  I am also considering this same converter, but my newly built server will need a bit more current to run upsampling from HQPlayer, so I am still on the hunt for a suitable LPS.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Sorry if I didn't explain my point.  I realize that an endpoint can be a renderer  But it can also be a rather simplified FIFO buffer, as in Jussi's NAA architecture.  I am asking whether you (or Romaz, in this example) believe these different functions would have different cpu, power, noise profiles....or is low-power-low-noise no longer the perfect endpoint box in ANY circumstance?

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

great question.

running hqplayer and having an NAA architecture at the endpoint, does increased processing power still sound better?

I recently done some comparisons between two NUC's with results might be helpful in this question.

I ran an Intel NUC7PJYH in an AKASA enclosure as endpoint when I first switched from single PC to a two PC setup late summer last year, it was using AL as OS and NAA streaming ROON/HQPd from my server.  It was working nicely for a while until I changed endpoint to an Intel NUC7i7DNHE couple month later, also in an AKASA fanless case running AL/NAA.  I stayed with this setup since that time, but continue to tweak this NUC such as clocks, internal DC cables, RAMs, external power supplies...etc., it continue to improve the SQ and recently, I built a new server running AL/HQPe that has a sizable step up in SQ, I got curious how much impact endpoint can still contribute with this new server, so I put NUC7PJYH back in using the same AL/NAA setup as well as the same power supply and RAM, the result still clearly show NUC7i7DNHE is a step up in SQ.

Although there are other things I did on NUC7i7DNHE that can't be transferred to NUC7PJYH, but one obvious difference is the CPU power.  There are clearly more things would be nice to find out such as will even higher power CPU be helpful in raising the SQ?  What is the best balance?  I am not sure the answers to these, but in my system, there is no one "perfect" endpoint setup.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Have you tried going with something low power? Like the UpBoard or RasPi4 running from 5 V LPS?

Preferably with the bootable NAA image so that you get same OS consistently, even on different hardware.

I ran RPi3 with LPS-1 for a while before moving to single PC setup and now back to two PC.  Never tried UpBoard or RPi4, but I might revisit and try using the RPi3 I already have at some point down the road to see what happen now with the new PC.

When I did the comparison earlier, it was using the same OS with same configuration, so the consistency should be present.