IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Why Taiko extreme is far better sounding than pinkfaun 2.16x ?

If Taiko is using stock clocks ?

There must be something we dont know and Taiko staff knows.

Taiko have tried to add the super moded clocks and it was always worst than with original clock.

I really wanted to know why is that ?

I haven't heard the SGM Extreme although I almost had a chance in Hong Kong but was too busy to pop into Volent despite making an appointment.

At this level "far better" is difficult for me to accept as it's graduations of improvements and even preferences. I recently listened to a re-clocked Esoteric Grandiso stack, an Airforce One, ClearAudio Statement and an Micro Sx8000 in a home environment through some Wilson Alexandriers. None could hold up against a single box clocked 2.16x. It's possible that the SGM Extreme is better but it would have to be pretty darn special to be so!

As to why Taiko decided not to use low phase noise clocks, it's up to them but their design decisions does not negate the benefits I'm hearing with my 2.16x with its extreme clocks. Having played with clocks for a few years, I'm skeptical when someone says clocks don't matter. They always do.

3 hours ago, cool_chris said:

I think base cost of 11K  PF and 20K for Extreme reflects the difference in SQ.

That's absolute nonsense. Price has nothing to do with sound quality. 😂😂😂

Sorry couldn't help it, that's just asking for it!

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

@cool_chris

Unless someone who hasn't spoken up steps in, it seems clear we do not have any thread participant who's done a side-by-side of the Taiko SGM Extreme, the PF 2.16 1 or 2-box solutions, and the best custom DIY server or server/endpoint represented by Roy's latest build.

Given that, let's not go down the rathole of hand-waving comparisons of things we haven't heard. From your tone, you seem inclined to buy the SGM Extreme, and if you can afford it, go for it. 

My own perspective - and I'm not asking anyone to share or adopt it - is that given the pace  discoveries we make here, I am not comfortable plonking down $20-30k to any server manufacturer, because I'm convinced a year from now, the state of the art will have moved on significantly. I am far more comfortable spending that on a speaker, or possibly an amp. Others may disagree. With regard to the pre-DAC computer chain, this is one of the main reasons I prefer to dabble and experiment.

Also, this thread tends to attract people who like to DIY, or at least experiment, while these über-expensive servers are geared toward people who want simplicity, not spaghetti. For example - and this is a genuine question for those who might know - do Taiko and/or Pink Faun allow, or at least tolerate, experimentation with other software and OSes? Are their BIOSes unlocked enough to enable you to try Euphony on an SGM, or Windows Server on a Pink Faun?

Given this impressive collection, and your self-proclaimed expertise with building servers, you could certainly go down the route of building a server along the lines that Roy has described (see the index in the first post, or search for posts by romaz). Even if all 6 of your SR7's are single rail, you have enough rails to get this done.

So true Rajiv, this thread is all about experiments and results and by nature mostly affordable. It's here I learnt and experimented with all the ideas brought up in this thread before committing to a branded server that best encapsulated all I felt was critical to the sound. How else can one choose from a range of streamers all claiming to be good? 

Jord at Pink Faun allowed the user to choose the OS. Earlier versions of the streamer had a version of the Windows server. But the later models went with AL and he suggested strongly to use it. Given all the positive results reported, I'm thinking of trying out the Euphony for fun. Shouldn't think it's difficult to boot from a USB stick but probably will take just time to organise.

Sorry for my bit of hand waiving, back to discoveries and results.

11 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

For those curious about PF 2.16, here is a good review of it but unfortunately it is not comparing with other servers but it does discuss various setups of USB vs SPDIF etc. and something about the ultra-clock they use too.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/music-server-reviews/pink-faun-2-16x-1-3/

I did a few detailed write ups about the streamer in the 2.16x thread some time back. It covers why I chose it, the technology and compared it with a few Antipodes streamers available to me at that time.

Just posted in the same thread my findings of upgrading the PF USB OCXO clock. My listening tests of another 2 clock changes for the motherboard and CPU are complete but no time to write it up yet.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

NOt sure, I don't even know how their new super OCXO clocks can be used with the motherboard. I presume using it somehow would bypass the original integrated CPU clock on the motherboard.                    

Just installed one in my Pink Faun 2.16x. The board has 2 clocks, one for the motherboard and one for the CPU. Described here :

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-967042

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried the MonoPrice Optical USB 10m cable for a week+ now. From my Pink Faun 2.16x streamer USB out through the MonoPrice then through my Habst USB Ultra III cable and to my Vinnie Rossi DAC2.

In my setup, the addition of the optical cable doesn't add to the sound, yes it seems to make sounds tighter somewhat like using upsampling but at the same time makes the sound thinner and less organic. Soundstage is noticeably smaller. Ultimately I am removing it and have passed it on to friends to play with.

Experimented with the short Uptone USB connectors without any substantial change in sound character.  

The Monoprice gets pretty hot during use - as hot as Uptone devices!

19 hours ago, Nsxturbo said:

Thought I’d chime in to let you know, my first Monoprice USB fiber converter got very hot. I ordered a second one from Amazon and it barely gets warm. I returned the first one. It works wonderfully in my system and I will be keeping it.

Were there any differences in sound perceived between the two cables?

Can I assume that you used both cables in the same settings and arrangement?

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, Nenon said:

Larry - just for the record I have done that too. Highlighting a keyword from my previous post. 

I have tried LT3045 as well as a much better power supply. Good LPS definitely helps, but USB storage just does not work well in my system. But the important part is that this is system dependent.

My system is using single server high powered CPU(s), and is tweaked differently than others. What works on my single CPU Euphony/Stylus server does not work on my dual CPU Windows/Roon server and vice versa. I have no reason to believe that what works for me would work on a dual box server/streamer configuration running AudioLinux. So an external HDD enclosure connected with a SlimRun USB cable and powered with a good LPS (i.e. LT3045 or better) may work very well in some systems.

The ultimate local storage for me is either a PCIe Optane card or what @Nsxturbo just posted:

I would probably go even a step further and use Apacer wide temp industrial NVME M.2 drives. It would give me less storage but I can install multiple cards.

As far as optical isolation goes, I have found that it always changes the sound. And the sound is never changed for good only. Many network experiments on my network have been done recently, and there is only one place where putting optical isolation was 100% improvement without any negative impact. And that is between my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and my WiFi access point - this is a fiber optical cable that is not on my streaming path, but galvanically isolates the noise of my WiFi from my router (which is in my streaming path). 

That's at least my experience so far. 

The SlimRun optical usb cable doesn’t work for me too. Between my Pink Faun 2.16x streamer and my Vinnie Rossi DAC2 through a Habst Ultra III USB or a short connector from UpTone, it doesn’t add any benefits and adds a harder sound  without more detail. 

I’m thinking the clock inside or the conversion isn’t all that good. After lending it to friends for their input I returned it. 

14 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

...Modifications which are not visible in the photos are the four vibration dampers attached to the bottom of the clock board (one for each corner) and custom Pink Faun wire in the DC cable powering the clock module.  (This is the same wire used in their streamer products)

The wires you are referring to is probably the PCX wire Pink Faun uses in their high end streamers. It’s a tin-coated extruded copper wire strand encased in Teflon. Sort of like the Duelund cables I suppose but those are wrapped in oiled cotton instead. 

I have some more info to contribute in the near future about this wire as I’m currently breaking in a Pink Faun Ultra Powercord made of the similar wires and plan to compare it with the Nordost Valhalla power cord. Will post my findings in AS. 

Great job on the switch mods, looks promising. 😄

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thank you for sharing 🙂

Audirvana works similar with tracks from Qobuz which I get via Wi-Fi.

After pre-loading the tracks into RAM I turn Wi-Fi off.

BTW, do you now have a Taiko Extreme?

Matt

I don’t have access to Qobuz and cannot try it in Euphony. I wonder if it works the same way too?

Ah no, the picture of the Taiko Extreme isn’t mine. Someone sent it to me to show the PF cable on it. I’m perfectly happy with my 2.16x for the moment. 

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

I can hear the exchange clearly, but I don’t recognize the brand. Not surprising, as I’m not an expert on bottled waters available in Sweden in 1976! 

Pray tell. 

2 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

I believe it's a well renowned one beginning with E.

Have another listen and it may be clearer now🤓

I think you both got it 😄

Yes, I think it starts with E. For others that want to play the game, I'll confirm it (that is if I heard it correctly) in a few days time.

1 hour ago, shahed99 said:

When I got to this part, my reaction was "no way!" lol. I'm also a recent owner of Townshend Podium. I bought them to placate my downstair neighbor mostly. It didn't help much in that regard. But the sound improvement was immediate and satisfying. These are the keepers.

Then I read the rest of your post. What do you know, I have used DIY Duelund tinner wire in the past as my previous speakers internal wiring! But have been using Western Electric tinned copper wire everywhere (IC + SC) for few years now. Duelund hook up took the concept from W.E. popularized by Jeff Day's blog. Anyway, those DIY WE wire replaced my $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables and it was an improvement. Haven't tempted to try any other brands of analog cable since then.

Ah how interesting! I got there with the Townshend Podiums eventually after switching to tinned copper. It wasn’t an immediate step up for me but took some rearrangement of cables to get there. 

Right now I’m finding a naturalness and correctness to the sound that I haven’t heard before with the tinned copper loom. But one thing unusual I noticed is the daily variations of sound seems to be more than before. One day, it’s spot on sound and another day bass gets fatter or soundstage is smaller. I suppose it’s to do with breaking in as it’s happening less over time. 

You say you’ve switched over to $2.5k wires, is this still tinned copper?

2 hours ago, shahed99 said:

I replaced the $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables with western electric ones. The previous ones weren't tinned copper. Also, I think the duelund hook up wire takes a while to break-in.

Ah ok, I misread your note. Yes I’m also finding that breaking in the tinned copper wires is taking a long time with constant changes to the sound during the process.  Pretty irritating actually. 

40 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

I use the x4 Townshend Pods under my speakers and subs.

Perhaps not as stable as the platform but much cheaper.

I don't have young kids/pets to worry about so it's not really an issue.

I have a timber floor on concrete.

My REL subs used to vibrate on it's feet at loud volumes as timber floors are never completely flat.

I tried the spikes but it was still no good.

I contacted REL who suggested Blue Tack but this is much better.

I just used a spirit level app on my iPhone to adjust the position. 

G

Individual pods might be a good alternative to the Podium as it’s really tough to set up. I needed 3 persons to get my Wilson’s on the Podiums and during setting up the Watt part fell on me and injured me a little. 

I also experimented and found that the Wilsons sounded better with full feet on spikes sitting on a brass coin. End effect for the speaker is that it is an inch or so higher than before. But to get a spiked Wilson onto the Podiums is no small task. 

On 6/30/2020 at 9:41 PM, flkin said:

I have a particularly good recording of the ubiquitous Jazz at the Pawnshop by Naxos and at the beginning of the “High Life” track around the 25 seconds mark, I’m able to clearly hear an order and the bartender’s reply for bottled water. This is with the entire tinned copper loom so it shows that details are resolved just fine. For a bit of fun, can anyone say which brand of water it is? 😄

For the question I asked a few days ago above, I believe the drink in the track is “Evian”. I hear it being ordered, bartender confirming it and then once more perhaps by the customer. 😄

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:31 AM, Exocer said:

Would the buffer queuing available in Stylus render all network tweaks moot if one only streams from services like Tidal/Quboz?

On 8/5/2020 at 4:20 AM, austinpop said:

Sadly, no. I wish that were the case.

As many have observed, and certainly in my own experience, there appears to be some SQ cost to merely the presence of a network connection, even when playing local content. So the upstream quality and mods still matter. However, that said, the ability to buffer network streams does raise their SQ.

I'm a little more fortunate, network tweaks in my system doesn't seem to make a difference.

Both Tidal and Quobuz buffers 2 songs entirely in Stylus when playing (without HQP that is) and so you can see if the physical LAN connection is passing noise into the streamer simply by disconnecting the cable whilst playing - the track will continue to play for the current and next song both streaming or local. I am unable to hear any difference with and without the LAN cable connected.

I think that this is a mandatory test before entering the deep network enhancement rabbit hole - at the very least, if you hear a difference, you know what sound correction to aim for.

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

.. whatever good or bad things your network does is already embedded in the buffered track somehow. Don't ask me how or why... I wish I could explain all that, but I can't. 

Sorry to tell you that, but I don't agree with your simple theory. I wish it was that simple, but it's a lot more complex than that...

Actually this is not my theory, the concept is in John Swenson’s White Paper on how the EtherRegen works. A complete buffering of the music track should solve the accumulated noise problem but doesn’t solve leakage current issues from a connected lan cable. 

If your switch is somehow correcting the ‘dirty bits’ that would be surprising! But stranger things have happened in audio 😄

7 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

I used to have a dual pc set up and the music files were stored on an ssd on the server pc , the music files are buffered in ram before being sent through the network to the pc player .

Do you have a way to buffer the data on the pc player side? Otherwise the data has to pass through the network again defeating buffering.