IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Ok, thanks for clarification.  Even lemitche suggested doing the complete double shield  (rather than just the single wire in the initial jssg solution), does more.  My main quest is to determine if the inexpensive double shield cables will get me most of what the lemitche cable does since they can be had for under $20 (something I can afford)...i know Jud said that the cable lemitche made him was less than $20, so that is where my interest is.  I am on very low budget, and cannot afford expensive cables, so an off-the-shelf lemitche cable would be fine for me....i am guessing there are thousands like myself that won't spend upwards of $50 for a usb cable, so this information would be beneficial for many that do not DIY and cannot afford expensive cables....if ghent could offer a lemitche cable for $30-$40, then that would be of interest, if the $20 belkin doesn't answer the solution.

PS, i would never minimize the JSSG solution as it has led to bigger and better ideas....it's a combined effort and everyone should respect any sharing to the better enjoyment of music for all.

Here is all you need. Make sure you can use the USB 3 cable below otherwise find a Startech USB 2 cable.

Cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GO18BS/ref=twister_B07F25RNLB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Braid

https://www.amazon.com/Tinned-Copper-Metal-Braided-Sleeving/dp/B01BIBQ940/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534627867&sr=1-1&keywords=1%2F2+inch+tinned+copper

Shrink wrap between layers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZF5CFG/ref=twister_B0773ZGQQV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Tools are a pair of scissors and a heat gun. Instructions are above.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

24 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Thanks...you said instructions are "above"?

I don't see above, and the thread is 370 pages (grin)....

when you say heat shrink between layers, you mean one heat shrink over the cable, then the braided shield, and then the heat shrink again?  nothing else?  or can i just use cable, shield, heat shrink?....

Edit to add...even if it is very easy to make, i actually  would prefer to buy an off-the-shelf if one is available?

with this added information you shared, it looks like this cable might work?

https://www.computercablestore.com/usb-30-superspeed-cable-a-to-b-mm-6ft

Networx™ USB 3.0 cables are double-shielded with a dual foil and braid. The connector is surrounded by a metal shield and the cable braid is also soldered to the connector to create an end-to-end full shielding solution guaranteeing a noise-free connection.

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

OK THanks...

can you provide a link to the instructions, and can you tell me how the double shield cable you made for jud is different than this one?  It says it has a 2nd braided shield similar what you suggested?  Do you think it won't work in same way?  In your post above you didn't say it needed a little wire, just the shield and shrink...i think i would be content without JSSG wire....did the one you made for JUd have the little wire?  I guess I would want same design as what you made for Jud if you would be so kind to provide those instructions?

again, THANKS...if you say the cable below will not do the same, then i will make one with directions you provide.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

OK THanks...

can you provide a link to the instructions, and can you tell me how the double shield cable you made for jud is different than this one?  It says it has a 2nd braided shield similar what you suggested?  Do you think it won't work in same way?  In your post above you didn't say it needed a little wire, just the shield and shrink...i think i would be content without JSSG wire....did the one you made for JUd have the little wire?  I guess I would want same design as what you made for Jud if you would be so kind to provide those instructions?

again, THANKS...if you say the cable below will not do the same, then i will make one with directions you provide.

Check out the link index Rajiv has written  (under 'General') in the first post of this topic.

15 minutes ago, tims said:

Check out the link index Rajiv has written  (under 'General') in the first post of this topic.

I looked at that already, (i think), but it doesn't show how to use the 3 parts lemiche said

(usb 3.0 cable, heat shrink, braid), and only needing scissors and heat gun.

Hoping for step-by-step starting with the usb 3.0 cable, to make the same cable as he did for Jud.

18 hours ago, flkin said:

That must be a special price as the basic unit without clocks or extra cards or shipping is already euro6990. Your spec isn't all that different from mine.

How and when did you get it?

I've had it for a 5 weeks.  I guess I was better at negotiating. ;)

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Ok, thanks for clarification.  Even lemitche suggested doing the complete double shield  (rather than just the single wire in the initial jssg solution), does more.  My main quest is to determine if the inexpensive double shield cables will get me most of what the lemitche cable does since they can be had for under $20 (something I can afford)...i know Jud said that the cable lemitche made him was less than $20 (and it replaced an expensive cable that he has used for many years), so that is where my interest is.  I am on very low budget, and cannot afford expensive cables, so an off-the-shelf lemitche cable would be fine for me....i am guessing there are thousands like myself that won't spend upwards of $50 for a usb cable, so this information would be beneficial for many that do not DIY and cannot afford expensive cables....if ghent could offer a lemitche cable for $30-$40, then that would be of interest, if the $20 belkin doesn't answer the solution.

PS, i would never minimize the JSSG solution as it has led to bigger and better ideas....it's a combined effort and everyone should respect any sharing to the better enjoyment of music for all.

Hi @beerandmusic, you seem like a really smart guy in other threads, so I hope you are not trying to be purposely obtuse on this thread, just to rile people up. If you please read up Larry's post in the index, as suggested, you will understand that JSSG 360 is not just about double shields, it's the idea of 2 conductive shields (tinned braid), separated by a layer of insulation, connected on both ends. It's  not the 2 shields per se, but the formation of the loop, that is the key to John's whole approach. 

If you want to give credence to the guy on USAM, that's your prerogative, but if you want to engage here, please try to understand what the basic principle before quoting other misinformed sites.

12 minutes ago, tims said:

I'm going to be nicer than Larry, and post my "dummy DIY" instructions that I posted earlier: 

I have gone ahead and also added it to the index in the first post. Gather up the materials from Larry's post, and mine, and let us know how it goes!

Important - please listen to the unmodded cable first (or maybe get a pair, since they're cheap), so you can compare with and without JSSG 360. Enjoy - we're all trying to help each other here.

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi @beerandmusic, you seem like a really smart guy in other threads, so I hope you are not trying to be purposely obtuse on this thread, just to rile people up. If you please read up Larry's post in the index, as suggested, you will understand that JSSG 360 is not just about double shields, it's the idea of 2 conductive shields (tinned braid), separated by a layer of insulation, connected on both ends. It's  not the 2 shields per se, but the formation of the loop, that is the key to John's whole approach. 

If you want to give credence to the guy on USAM, that's your prerogative, but if you want to engage here, please try to understand what the basic principle before quoting other misinformed sites.

I'm going to be nicer than Larry, and post my "dummy DIY" instructions that I posted earlier: 

I have gone ahead and also added it to the index in the first post. Gather up the materials from Larry's post, and mine, and let us know how it goes!

Important - please listen to the unmodded cable first (or maybe get a pair, since they're cheap), so you can compare with and without JSSG 360. Enjoy - we're all trying to help each other here.

I am not sure why it would rile anyone?  I don't know who the us audiomart guy is, and that was the first time i have ever been on this site.  I am getting the sense though that people don't like him or to give him any credit...personally i could care less....my only interest is a cheap cable as i have no interest in buying an expensive cable...preferably to find one that is off-the-shelf.   your link is for a power cable, and if it takes soldering pins together, i don't have any desire to make one and would be willing to wait until someone does make one.  I have been doing ethernet for over 7 years and am not that anxious, but i would like the option to try usb again to see how it compares. 

Why do you say this "riles" people?    I have said i am happy to give John credit and do not demean anyone purposely, not even tubelover2...not sure why it seemed to bother anyone that I posted that link....i mean is anyone so prideful that they need the "credit"?   I thought it was about sharing, especially where a $20 cable can dramatically improve the sound.  I have always trusted Jud, and when he said lemitche's cable (costing less than $20) replaced his $135 cable, I am very interested...who wouldn't be? 

You mention it is not just about the double shield but he link i suggested said it did create a "loop"?

The connector is surrounded by a metal shield and the cable braid is also soldered to the connector to create an end-to-end full shielding solution guaranteeing a noise-free connection.

Am i trying to take away from lemitche, swenson, tubelover2 or anyone else?  to the point of riling someone???  really?

I just want a cable.

I am sorry if i don't come off intelligent in this thread as you suggest....i am just now reading about this stuff because it was burried in a 370 page thread that i don't frequent....so i just want to know..that is all...and i am just now noticing it keeps poppin up OT in other threads....I think it should have it's own thread....

If there really isn't anything off-the-shelf under $30-$40, then i am willing to wait...but i have a hunch something is out there.  I even said i was willing to make one, and that is a lot for me to say, but i would prefer to research and see if i can find one first.

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I am not sure why it would rile anyone?  I don't know who the us audiomart guy is, and that was the first time i have ever been on this site.  I am getting the sense though that people don't like him or to give him any credit...personally i could care less....my only interest is a cheap cable as i have no interest in buying an expensive cable...preferably to find one that is off-the-shelf.   your link is for a power cable, and if it takes soldering pins together, i don't have any desire to make one and would be willing to wait until someone does make one.  I have been doing ethernet for over 7 years and am not that anxious, but i would like the option to try usb again to see how it compares. 

Why do you say this "riles" people?    I have said i am happy to give John credit and do not demean anyone purposely, not even tubelover2...not sure why it seemed to bother anyone that I posted that link....i mean is anyone so prideful that they need the "credit"?   I thought it was about sharing, especially where a $20 cable can dramatically improve the sound.  I have always trusted Jud, and when he said lemitche's cable (costing less than $20) replaced his $135 cable, I am very interested...who wouldn't be? 

You mention it is not just about the double shield but he link i suggested said it did create a "loop"?

The connector is surrounded by a metal shield and the cable braid is also soldered to the connector to create an end-to-end full shielding solution guaranteeing a noise-free connection.

Am i trying to take away from lemitche, swenson, tubelover2 or anyone else?  to the point of riling someone???  really?

I just want a cable.

I am sorry if i don't come off intelligent in this thread as you suggest....i am just now reading about this stuff because it was burried in a 370 page thread that i don't frequent....so i just want to know..that is all...and i am just now noticing it keeps poppin up OT in other threads....I think it should have it's own thread.

That is why there is an index here. Go to the index, read the last 2 links under the heading General.

if it’s still unclear, then come back with your questions. 

As as far as we know, Lush^2 is the only commercial off the shelf USB JSSG 360 cable for the moment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ghent will jump on it soon!

11 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That is why there is an index here. Go to the index, read the last 2 links under the heading General.

if it’s still unclear, then come back with your questions. 

As as far as we know, Lush^2 is the only commercial off the shelf USB JSSG 360 cable for the moment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ghent will jump on it soon!

I have already read those (i think). 

Lmitche responded that you can build a cable using a usb 3.0 cable...a braid, and heatshrink, and nothing else but scissors.

Like i said before if that is what he built for JUd then, i am willing to build one, but he didn't suggest any need to connect wires, make loops, and the picture he showed in the thread doesn't show shrink between shields?

I really am hopeful that i can find something off-the-shelf that is simplistic like the one he made for Jud, but if not i will build one.  I don't see anything in your thread that shows the 3 parts lmetche said and needing only scissors and heat shrink....

I think it would beneficial to have in it's own thread? 

Since you are familiar with the lemitche usb cable, can you tell me how it is different than this cable?

so i know if it would be easier to modify this one?  I have already bought a couple.

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I have already read those (i think). 

Lmitche responded that you can build a cable using a usb 3.0 cable...a braid, and heatshrink, and nothing else but scissors.

Like i said before if that is what he built for JUd then, i am willing to build one, but he didn't suggest any need to connect wires, make loops, and the picture he showed in the thread doesn't show shrink between shields?

I really am hopeful that i can find something off-the-shelf that is simplistic like the one he made for Jud, but if not i will build one.  I don't see anything in your thread that shows the 3 parts lmetche said and needing only scissors and heat shrink....

I think it would beneficial to have in it's own thread? 

Since you are familiar with the lemitche usb cable, can you tell me how it is different than this cable?

so i know if it would be easier to modify this one?  I have already bought a couple.

With all the respect and patience I can muster, I am going ask you one last time to go back and read - actually read - my last 2 responses you.

Your questions have been answered, but if you don’t actually read the answers, how can we help you?

36 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I am re-reading what you said, along with what lmitche said, and think i may get it now?  he said you don't need any tools, and you suggesting connecting both ends, and I keep thinking you mean soldering or otherwise connecting the 2 shields...that really is  not the jssg solution, but i think you mean you just twist the two shield ends together then?

Do you need to strip the plastic (vinyl or whatever) material off first?

I don't consider myself dense, but I am NOT a DIY type of guy. never made a usb cable before and even taking one a part and having to put it back together sounds intimidating.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

With all the respect and patience I can muster, I am going ask you one last time to go back and read - actually read - my last 2 responses you.

Your questions have been answered, but if you don’t actually read the answers, how can we help you?

YOU>>>That is why there is an index here. Go to the index, read the last 2 links under the heading General.  if it’s still unclear, then come back with your questions. 

====

that is precisely what i did....are you reading what i wrote...clearly there is a disconnect, and maybe it is my ADD....

maybe i need a video.

Just now, beerandmusic said:

I am re-reading what you said, along with what lmitche said, and think i may get it now?  he said you don't need any tools, and you suggesting connecting both ends, and I keep thinking you mean soldering or otherwise connecting the 2 shields...that really is  not the jssg solution, but i think you mean you just twist the two shield ends together then?

Do you need to strip the plastic (vinyl or whatever) material off first?

I don't consider myself dense, but I am NOT a DIY type of guy. never made a usb cable before and even taking one a part and having to put it back together sounds intimidating.

Check @Bruce Orr‘s posts in the last few weeks. He claims to be an even bigger DIY dummy than me - which I challenge! - and he was able to do it. 

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

YOU>>>That is why there is an index here. Go to the index, read the last 2 links under the heading General.  if it’s still unclear, then come back with your questions. 

====

that is precisely what i did....are you reading what i wrote...clearly there is a disconnect, and maybe it is my ADD....

maybe i need a video.

Just for reference, here are the last 2 links in the index under General:

Have you read both?

Just now, beerandmusic said:

yes, i read both of those...and neither seemed to be the cable lmitche made for jud using only the parts he suggested.

It’s a technique. It applies to all types of cables. That’s the beauty of it.

I'm done with this topic now. I’ve provided all the info I have. 

If you want to try your hand at DIY, feel free.

21 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It’s a technique. It applies to all types of cables. That’s the beauty of it.

I'm done with this topic now. I’ve provided all the info I have. 

If you want to try your hand at DIY, feel free.

I would try to DIY if I clearly understood....but it is still not clear to me.....hopefully someone will come along that is better at giving simple step-by-step instructions for the mentally impaired.

I think if someone could say "start with this cable", and follow these step-by-step instructions...accurate pictures would help.

I am sorry i don't meet your intelligence expectations, or that you feel i riled people by asking....in the mean time i have ordered a couple of these cables (so i can make mistakes), and hopefully they will be a good starter cable to modify.

https://www.computercablestore.com/usb-30-superspeed-cable-a-to-b-mm-6ft#product-specs-box

I've emailed Ghent and asked whether he has any plans to offer JSSS-360 USB or LAN cables or whether these can be custom ordered. 

Should hopefully help settle whether reluctant types like Beer and myself need to reach for braid, a heat shrink and Google instructions ?

Cheers, 

Non-DIY capable Al

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers