IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Did anyone try Synergistic Research's flagship from their lending library by any chance?

I'm using Habst cables connected to an SR ground block via SR HD grounding cables in the same configuration as shown in your link.  The Galileo cables are way beyond my means.  I have a hard time believing they would be worth the money, but I do believe SR is onto something with graphene (based on the performance of their blue quantum fuses) and their air string cable geometry (based on the performance of their HD grounding cables).

6 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I'm using Habst cables connected to an SR ground block via SR HD grounding cables in the same configuration as shown in your link.  The Galileo cables are way beyond my means.  I have a hard time believing they would be worth the money, but I do believe SR is onto something with graphene (based on the performance of their blue quantum fuses) and their air string cable geometry (based on the performance of their HD grounding cables).

Hi auricgoldfinger

That is interesting. I have orderd a few Habst digital 75 ohm BNC from the CA group buy and I also have the S.R Active Ground Block. As the A. G.B has 44 ports / connetion points. It would be much better using them insetead of using  up the 8 outputs on my Ref10. 

Did Synergistic Research terminate your HD cables with 75 ohm female or do you use an adapter between?

Have you had the chance too compare grounding to the A.G.B with the standard grounding of the Habst to chassis? 

Tommy

On 8/11/2018 at 12:09 AM, Johnseye said:

So you're suggesting to test with even longer length for more possible EMI/RF interference.  I could go to about 80 to my office.  It could be a worthwhile test.

Or you could just move everything out in the cloud with a virtual server. ?

This is where we most likely where we will be with Roon as an option in the future.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:03 PM, BigGuy said:

More info on TI Shield...

Product is no longer available from either Percy or Gaven Industries.  Rep at Gaven indicates that replacement material is called Cu430 since TI too expensive to produce.  Apparently both were/are only available in 0.012" which will very likely be an issue to use as flexible shield?!  Regardless, I have asked for pricing and availability (Min qty) to us hobbyists. 

Stay tuned...

I have no idea what I’m talking about, but wouldn’t Active Shielding be the next big thing to the JSSG story.  Maybe John finally will get some royalties as well ?

He may have do some additional work tough.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa926a/snoa926a.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

“Equipment sometimes requires isolation from external magnetic fields. For static or slowly varying magnetic fields (below about 100 kHz) the Faraday shielding described above is ineffective. In these cases shields made of high magnetic permeability metal alloys can be used, such as sheets of permalloy and mu-metal[5][6] or with nanocrystalline grain structure ferromagnetic metal coatings.[7] These materials don't block the magnetic field, as with electric shielding, but rather draw the field into themselves, providing a path for the magnetic field linesaround the shielded volume. The best shape for magnetic shields is thus a closed container surrounding the shielded volume. The effectiveness of this type of shielding depends on the material's permeability, which generally drops off at both very low magnetic field strengths and at high field strengths where the material becomes saturated. So to achieve low residual fields, magnetic shields often consist of several enclosures one inside the other, each of which successively reduces the field inside it. 

Because of the above limitations of passive shielding, an alternative used with static or low-frequency fields is active shielding; using a field created by electromagnets to cancel the ambient field within a volume.[8]

Solenoids and Helmholtz coils are types of coils that can be used for this purpose.

Additionally, superconducting materials can expel magnetic fields via the Meissner effect. “

A lot of references in the end of that Wikipedia article as well. 

2 hours ago, Confused said:

The thing is, to me the Habst has probably delivered more than this, it is like I am only now discovering what the REF10 can add to the system.

Or we could also look at that from a different perspective, the investment in REF10 itself might not be justified unless we're also matching that with something short and sweet like 0.5M Habst.

Now we could tell exactly why they're recommending Pasternack on one hand, while showcasing REF10 with Habst on another. Just trying to keep that secret to themselves since it wouldn't be all that appealing when a product actually requires such an expensive cable to perform the way it should

https://www.facebook.com/mutecpro/posts/1307154836032310

I had agreed with SOtM that I would send back the sMS-200Ultra for Neo upgrade, and send back my tX-USBultra too, such that I could have shorter internal clock cables fitted.

Similarly, maybe we'll only discover what sCLK-EX can add to the system when those internal clock cables are replaced by something that could rival Habst. Of course that might not be feasible for now or else @romaz should have done that already.

Maybe fate is sending me a message!

Don't forget that @romaz was actually reporting that neither ultraRendu nor sMS-200Ultra could perform as well as an unmodified Intel NUC with eMMC, though booting the entire optimized OS into RAM might play the most important role.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Or we could also look at that from a different perspective, the investment in REF10 itself might not be justified unless we're also matching that with something short and sweet like 0.5M Habst.

Now we could tell exactly why they're recommending Pasternack on one hand, while showcasing REF10 with Habst on another. Just trying to keep that secret to themselves since it wouldn't be all that appealing when a product actually requires such an expensive cable to perform the way it should

Having listened to the REF10 with the Habst, that is pretty much how I see things.  I do wonder if any other cables might be as good or better though, for example I know of some dCS users that say similar things about Shunyata cables.  Habst versus Shunyata anyone?

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Don't forget that @romaz was actually reporting that neither ultraRendu nor sMS-200Ultra could perform as well as an unmodified Intel NUC with eMMC, though booting the entire optimized OS into RAM might play the most important role.

Yes, I was intrigued by this also.  I did wonder how much the Dream OS added to this result, there could be many factors I guess.  I shall certainly be keeping an eye out for any developments or reports relating to this.  Meanwhile, I am looking forward to trying out the Neo'd sMS-200Ultra in the mix, it ever reappears that is!?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 hours ago, Tand said:

Hi auricgoldfinger

That is interesting. I have orderd a few Habst digital 75 ohm BNC from the CA group buy and I also have the S.R Active Ground Block. As the A. G.B has 44 ports / connetion points. It would be much better using them insetead of using  up the 8 outputs on my Ref10. 

Did Synergistic Research terminate your HD cables with 75 ohm female or do you use an adapter between?

Have you had the chance too compare grounding to the A.G.B with the standard grounding of the Habst to chassis? 

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I am using my Habst cables with the SOtM OCX10.  If I understand Daniel correctly, the ground cable must be connected to a device with an IEC.  Since the OCX10 is powered by DC, connecting the ground to an OCX10 port would have no benefit, and I have not tried doing so.

Synergistic will make a female RCA to mini banana grounding cable on request.  Be sure your dealer understands what you want and get written confirmation.  I bought mine through http://thecableco.com/.  If you have a high quality adapter lying around, you ought to give it a try.  I would guess that connecting the Habst to your A.G.B. would be an audible improvement over a connection to the REF10.

Best regards,

Brian

6 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Hi Tommy,

I am using my Habst cables with the SOtM OCX10.  If I understand Daniel correctly, the ground cable must be connected to a device with an IEC.  Since the OCX10 is powered by DC, connecting the ground to an OCX10 port would have no benefit, and I have not tried doing so.

Synergistic will make a female RCA to mini banana grounding cable on request.  Be sure your dealer understands what you want and get written confirmation.  I bought mine through http://thecableco.com/.  If you have a high quality adapter lying around, you ought to give it a try.  I would guess that connecting the Habst to your A.G.B. would be an audible improvement over a connection to the REF10.

Best regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

If I recall, you’re powering the OCX-10 with an sPS-500, correct? I would have to dig up the post, but I’m pretty sure May confirmed that the sPS-500 is ground shunted, I.e. DC negative is connected to AC ground.

Given this, you  may in fact still get the grounding by connecting the Habst grounding leg to an unused BNC port. 

Worth a try to compare to ungrounded and to the AGB.

4 hours ago, Confused said:

I thought that I would be sneaking in here with something a little off topic, but it seems not.  On Friday my Habst 75 ohm BNC cable arrived.  I was a very late entry to the CA group buy, if I am honest I am not a great believer in spending vast sums of cash on cables, I tend to think the money is better spent elsewhere.  So I dithered with respect to getting a Habst cable, after all, it is not far off the same cost as the Mutec MC3+USB that I would connect it to.

Anyway, in a moment of weakness I ordered the Habst, it arrived Friday, and yesterday I installed it between my Mutec REF10 and Mutec MC3+USB.  The cable it replaces is a Pasternack RG216 cable.  The Pasternack cable is the specification that Mutec recommend in the REF10 manual (RG216), it is also respectably short at 600mm.  So for these reasons I was pretty confident that the Pasternack cable was allowing. things to perform somewhere near to the optimum level.  My plan was to set up the Habst, and then maybe do a back to back test with the Pasternack cable next week, to see if I could discern a difference.

I left the system running for a couple of hours so everything could settle in, and I sat down for a listen with some familiar tracks.  To be honest, I was pretty staggered by what I was hearing.  I recall someone posting a while ago that adding the Habst cable was not far off the same hike in performance that you get from adding the REF10 itself.  I felt that this was probably a slight exaggeration, but had taken it as an indicator that the Habst might afford some improvement.  The thing is, to me the Habst has probably delivered more than this, it is like I am only now discovering what the REF10 can add to the system.  The things that lept out at me at first were mostly bass related, the bass was more dynamic, powerful and had gained some real punch.  Better defined too, with drums sounding more realistic.  This is an area that I think my system is good at anyway, so to get an obvious improvement here is tremendous.  In fact, it is dynamics everywhere, everything sounded more alive, real and exciting.  The improvements were throughout the range, percussion instruments sounding more alive, real and engaging.   All this from a clock cable.  What I can say is that I have gone from thinking the Habst was a bit of a nice to have luxury item, to thinking that this is the best 800 Euros I have spent on my system for a while.  So for me, going from Habst to Pasternack is maybe a bigger hike that adding the REF10 with the Pasternack.  Quite remarkable.

Digressing a bit, I can say that yesterday my system sounded as good as I have ever heard it.  Perhaps more importantly, it was more enjoyable to than it has been for a while.  So flicking through some demo tracks, sometimes I might listen to a minute or so of one track, then skip to the next.  Not this time, I was enjoying things so much I just kept listening and whole tracks were played, I then started listening to whatever took my fancy, this was good stuff.  My set-up at the moment is PC, Roon HQPlayer (Upsampling  to 24/192), microRendu, Mutec MC3+USB/REF10, AES/EBU to Devialet.  The SOtM bundle somewhere between the UK and Korea at the moment for Neo upgrade and clock cable replacement.  I never did really gell with the SOtM kit, it was highly impressive in many respects, details, dynamics, but somehow it messed up the tonal balance of my system, so it was better but less enjoyable to listen to.  The mR is clearly inferior to the SOtM bundle, but somehow it sounds just right, and adding the REF10 and Habst to the mix has taken "just right" to a whole new level.  In fact, it is not really a spaghetti system anymore, just the mR feeding bits to a REF10 referenced MC3+USB, so quite a simple set up really, and to me it really seems to work well.  We tend to discuss component A sounding better than B quite a lot in this thread, but sometimes system synergy matters too, and somehow the mR works in my system where the SOtM kit did not.

There is a bit of a story to the SOtM kit as well.  I had agreed with SOtM that I would send back the sMS-200Ultra for Neo upgrade, and send back my tX-USBultra too, such that I could have shorter internal clock cables fitted.  Three weeks ago I took the parcel to my local Post Office, together with another package to send to my brother in Canada.  Both were sent by UK Parcel Force.  For the SOtM kit, I requested the cheapest service with tracking.  The person on the counter gave me my receipt and even circled the reference number for the tracking.  A few days later, I checked the tracking, and the website advised: "this is not a tracked service".  Oh dear!  The parcel to my brother took one day short of three weeks to arrive, much longer than it should have taken.  The SOtM kit has not arrived yet.  If you take the absolute longest transit time in working days and allow for a week in customs, in theory, it is not actually late, not yet.  If it does not arrive next week I think I will be seriously worried that it has gone missing.  Ironically, even with the SOtM kit missing in action, my system has never sounded better or more enjoyable, I am absolutely loving it at the moment.  Maybe fate is sending me a message!  Anyway, I do not want to take this thread off topic discussing courier service delays, the thread digresses enough as it is, but I will let you know if and when the package surfaces.

A final note to Rajiv.  If it had not been for the group buy, I do not think I would have bought the Habst, but now I am very glad I did, so thanks, and you have saved me 80 Euros!  (or cost me 800 Euros, depending on how you look at it, but it was worth it, that is all I can say)

Mine is still en route to me!

I’m glad to read your findings - it’s always good to get confirmation of one’s own experience. 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Hi Brian,

If I recall, you’re powering the OCX-10 with an sPS-500, correct? I would have to dig up the post, but I’m pretty sure May confirmed that the sPS-500 is ground shunted, I.e. DC negative is connected to AC ground.

Given this, you  may in fact still get the grounding by connecting the Habst grounding leg to an unused BNC port. 

Worth a try to compare to ungrounded and to the AGB.

Hi Rajiv,

I switched from the sPS-500 to the JS-2 awhile back.  Do you know if the same applies to the JS-2?

Thanks.

Brian

28 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I switched from the sPS-500 to the JS-2 awhile back.  Do you know if the same applies to the JS-2?

Hi Brian:

As an all-linear PS (the sPS-500 is a hybrid with an SMPS) the JS-2–with a tightly-spec’ed R-core trans—has almost no AC leakage.  Ground-shunting of DC -ve output (“ground”) to AC mains ground is only for getting rid of high-impedance leakage, which again the JS-2 has very little of.

There is not much beneficial on the house mains ground and most power “conditioners” dump crap into the ground plane.  So why go to the trouble of building a low-nose, low-impedance LPS only to reintroduce noise and grunge via to the output “ground?”  Therefore we go to a lot of trouble to “float” the DC outputs of the JS-2 (though of course the chassis and transformer are grounded for safety).  

The above is my long-winded way of saying that if your device or cable needs earth ground for some reason, you’d best run a wire or something.  Don’t look to the output of a JS-2 for your ground! :D

—Alex C.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Brian:

As an all-linear PS (the sPS-500 is a hybrid with an SMPS) the JS-2–with a tightly-spec’ed R-core trans—has almost no AC leakage.  Ground-shunting of DC -ve output (“ground”) to AC mains ground is only for getting rid of high-impedance leakage, which again the JS-2 has very little of.

There is not much beneficial on the house mains ground and most power “conditioners” dump crap into the ground plane.  So why go to the trouble of building a low-nose, low-impedance LPS only to reintroduce noise and grunge via to the output “ground?”  Therefore we go to a lot of trouble to “float” the DC outputs of the JS-2 (though of course the chassis and transformer are grounded for safety).  

The above is my long-winded way of saying that if your device or cable needs earth ground for some reason, you’d best run a wire or something.  Don’t look to the output of a JS-2 for your ground! :D

—Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm sorry to make you repeat it again--you've probably posted something similar over 1000 times here on CA--but I am technically challenged.  Hopefully, you have a good template for cutting and pasting.  :)

Brian

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Paul Hynes also thinks that grounding the output of a PSU is a bad thing so perhaps it is best to keep a linear PSU that way.

But in a system it might be more difficult to keep it that way. For example on SOtM the -0V input is connected to the chassi and the USB connector shell so there is a way for ground to travel that way from a DAC that have the chassi grounded to mains. So even if you have a multirail PSU with seperate grounds they might end up being connected togheter via cables that goes between components.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
4 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=70

And then tons of freebies could be downloaded as well

http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=83

By far the most interesting ones seemed to be Windows PE based on both Server 2016 as well as Server 2019 since they're getting network and audio drivers working, IMHO they really are super slim when compared to that 6GB Dream OS. The former one is just under 500MB while the latter one is only 525MB

http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=383909

http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=410068

Other flavors are linked below

Win7PE_RamOS_x86
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=365509

Win8.1PE(X64)RAMOS
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=322257

Win8&Win8.1RamOS
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=337109

WIN8.1 RAMOS
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=338318

Windows 8.1 With Update2 PE(RAMOS With DISM)
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=339348

Win8&8.1RamOS
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=339697

Win8.1RamOSx64 + XPPE
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=347242

win8.1_up3_ramos(x86+x64)
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=362567

Win10_RamOS_17134.137x64
http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=409956

These links are down now.  They were working earlier today.  I wonder if the exposure here has anything to do with it?

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
12 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

These links are down now.  They were working earlier today.  I wonder if the exposure here has anything to do with it?

PCHIFI RAMOS

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1m687ZMt2CutjVAbm23wP6w

SHA1: AF4BBF55DBFC0E4F419204D386EA00D61E08C231

Ramos Server2016

https://pan.baidu.com/s/160tCctWpHO5MBbXRUhIrig PW:8l6c

SHA1: 4332426DC99E6B6197ACB30D245BCE74420F9F60

Server 2016 PE

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1hseBs6S PW:92kw

Server 2019 PE

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1o8Qvvvk PW:8n1w

Some servers in China might seem to be unavailable intermittently, anyways everything could be easily found when we do a search on Google so that shouldn't be such a big deal IMHO.

Even if they weren't accessible, we could always create our own images easily

LiveSystem pro / MultiPE-builder-software / NEW!
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=241.0

Win10PE SE Release
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1336.0

PEBakery Release
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2324.0

ChrisPE - a PEBakery Team release
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2417.0

MistyPE
http://mistyprojects.co.uk/download.htm

http://mistyprojects.co.uk/mistype/mistype.docs/readme.html

WinPE - Minimum RAM Requirements
http://mistyprojects.co.uk/documents/WinPE.RAM/winpe.ram.usage.htm

Creating a Flat Boot WinPE
http://mistyprojects.co.uk/documents/WinPE.RAM/winpe.ram.usage_files/FlatBoot.htm

115 - Convert a WinPE 'Flat-File' ISO to a ramdisk (boot.wim) ISO
https://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/115

WinPE: Install on a Hard Drive (Flat Boot or Non-RAM)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-install-on-a-hard-drive--flat-boot-or-non-ram

Boot to WinPE
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-winpe

Drvload Command-Line Options
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/drvload-command-line-options

DISM Driver Servicing (.inf) Command-Line Options
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/dism-driver-servicing-command-line-options-s14

Device Drivers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/device-drivers-and-deployment-overview

Add and Remove Drivers to an offline Windows Image
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-and-remove-drivers-to-an-offline-windows-image

Add Device Drivers to Windows During Windows Setup
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-device-drivers-to-windows-during-windows-setup

WinPE: Mount and Customize
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-mount-and-customize

WinPE Network Drivers: Initializing and adding drivers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-network-drivers-initializing-and-adding-drivers

WinPE Optional Components (OC) Reference
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-add-packages--optional-components-reference

Add or Remove Packages Offline Using DISM
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-or-remove-packages-offline-using-dism

WinPE: Create USB Bootable drive
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/commercialization-public/blob/master/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive.md

UEFI and BIOS modes in WinPE
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/commercialization-public/blob/master/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode.md

Install Windows 7 to a VHD and boot from it!
http://agnipulse.com/2009/06/install-windows-7-to-a-vhd-and-boot-from-it/

Imdisk Virtual Disk Driver
http://agnipulse.com/2010/02/imdisk-virtual-disk-driver/

Install Grub4Dos to your Hard Disk
http://agnipulse.com/2010/06/install-grub4dos-hard-disk/

Easily Modify Boot Sectors with Bootice!
http://agnipulse.com/2010/10/easily-modify-bootsector-bootice/

Beginners Guide to Creating Custom Windows PE
http://agnipulse.com/2011/06/beginners-guide-creating-custom-windows-pe/

Virtual Machine USB Boot
http://agnipulse.com/2013/12/virtual-machine-usb-boot/

Native VHD Boot on unsupported versions of Windows 7
http://agnipulse.com/2016/12/native-vhd-boot-unsupported-versions-windows-7/

Install and Boot all versions of Windows from VHD using Firadisk
http://agnipulse.com/2017/01/install-boot-all-versions-windows-vhd-using-firadisk/

How to backup drivers in Windows 10 using DISM
https://winaero.com/blog/backup-drivers-before-reinstalling-windows-10-using-dism/

Adding Windows PE drivers
http://toolscenter.lenovofiles.com/help/topic/sgtk_sa_win/add_winpe_drivers.html

Add Driver to the Exported WinPE Bootable Disk ISO File
https://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=10025

Build a WinPE with wireless support
http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2018/03/06/build-a-winpe-with-wireless-support/

Customizing WindowsPE 2.0 For Use With Specific OEM, PnP Hardware Drivers, Menu Items, and Paragon Scripts Using Paragon Customization Scripts
https://www.paragon-software.com/export/sites/paragonsoftware.com/docs/WinPE2.0_Customization.pdf

WIN7: Adding Drivers to a winPE image
https://youtu.be/k0nUS2J59UE

How To Create an 8.1 Windows PE with Custom Drivers
https://youtu.be/c3rY5WAj0c0

How To Inject WinPE Drivers Into a Boot Image and Create a Capture Image - Windows Deployment
https://youtu.be/2Y9MIiItY-4

A while back some (including myself) were wondering how the SOtM sCLK-OCX10 would compare to the Mutec REF 10.  I think one or two were hoping to do this comparison but I cannot remember seeing a write-up.  Has anyone been able to compare the two?

My interest in this is renewed now that I have managed to take over a cancelled order for a Paul Hynes SR7.  I have still to finalise the spec with Paul but expect I will have to do this before I receive the Hugo Mscaler I have ordered.  One thing to decide on is whether to spec the SR7 as high as I can for a 2-rail supply to power the Mscaler (at 12V) and my current standard spec 9V tX-USBultra, or go for a 3-rail, which could accommodate Mscaler, an upgraded tX-USBultra and an sCLK-OCX10.  But if there is a compelling reason to get a Mutec REF 10 instead of the sCLK-OCX10, I can go with a 2-rail SR7 and just upgrade the tX-USBultra.

My current system is: Innuos Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (SR4) > Blu2 > DAVE > headphones

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

2 hours ago, str-1 said:

A while back some (including myself) were wondering how the SOtM sCLK-OCX10 would compare to the Mutec REF 10.  I think one or two were hoping to do this comparison but I cannot remember seeing a write-up.  Has anyone been able to compare the two?

My interest in this is renewed now that I have managed to take over a cancelled order for a Paul Hynes SR7.  I have still to finalise the spec with Paul but expect I will have to do this before I receive the Hugo Mscaler I have ordered.  One thing to decide on is whether to spec the SR7 as high as I can for a 2-rail supply to power the Mscaler (at 12V) and my current standard spec 9V tX-USBultra, or go for a 3-rail, which could accommodate Mscaler, an upgraded tX-USBultra and an sCLK-OCX10.  But if there is a compelling reason to get a Mutec REF 10 instead of the sCLK-OCX10, I can go with a 2-rail SR7 and just upgrade the tX-USBultra.

My current system is: Innuos Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (SR4) > Blu2 > DAVE > headphones

I have not compared the two but spoke with someone who has. No formal review has been written.  This is one person's opinion, but the REF10 was better.

2 hours ago, str-1 said:

You can always use more SR7 outputs.  Get as many possible, which I did in a MR4, 4 12V outputs.  You will find use for them, could make 1 of them adjustable.  Some say separate is better, but hey, sometimes compromise is better for overall system simplification and the pocket book.

I was in the same predicament, thinking, Spring of 2017.  Glad I got the 4 outputs.   

I use one for my NUC, one for the sCLK-EX, one for the tXUSBexp PCIe card and the last one will be for the m-scaler.  

I also had plans for the OCX10, but chose to go with the Cybershaft, when it became available from Rajiv.  I was put of on the pricing of  the OCX10, same with REF 10.  

I would value the m-scaler above a master clock in component impact.  

But if you can pull it off, nice to have.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

21 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I have not compared the two but spoke with someone who has. No formal review has been written.  This is one person's opinion, but the REF10 was better.

Thanks for that.  

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se