IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

16 minutes ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop, @auricgoldfinger, and I should be comparing a stock OCX10, a modified OCX10, and the Ref10 next week.

That is good news.  Many will be looking forward to learning about your findings.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

40 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You can always use more SR7 outputs.  Get as many possible, which I did in a MR4, 4 12V outputs.  You will find use for them, could make 1 of them adjustable.  Some say separate is better, but hey, sometimes compromise is better for overall system simplification and the pocket book.

I was in the same predicament, thinking, Spring of 2017.  Glad I got the 4 outputs.   

I use one for my NUC, one for the sCLK-EX, one for the tXUSBexp PCIe card and the last one will be for the m-scaler.  

I also had plans for the OCX10, but chose to go with the Cybershaft, when it became available from Rajiv.  I was put of on the pricing of  the OCX10, same with REF 10.  

I would value the m-scaler above a master clock in component impact.  

But if you can pull it off, nice to have.

Just to clarify the SR7 construction:

All outputs on SR7 are adjustable, now a days Paul is giving a 10v adjustment range, so think like 5-15V rail, that will give you lot of options, and yes, I say get four rails, you find use for them. One rail is 10A, I would get that in a 9-19V, and rest are 3A rails and those can be 5-15V. I have two SR7's. If you compare it to other quality supplies, in a multi rail arrangement, it actually is a good value for this quality power supply.

13 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Just to clarify the SR7 construction:

All outputs on SR7 are adjustable, now a days Paul is giving a 10v adjustment range, so think like 5-15V rail, that will give you lot of options, and yes, I say get four rails, you find use for them. One rail is 10A, I would get that in a 9-19V, and rest are 3A rails and those can be 5-15V. I have two SR7's. If you compare it to other quality supplies, in a multi rail arrangement, it actually is a good value for this quality power supply.

For a four rail SR7, can each of these rails also be double regulated (DR) as the DR rail is meant to be considerably better than non-DR?  Obvious more expensive though but don't know by how much.

From Paul: 

Unfortunately DR rails require two regulator modules per rail so the SR5 chassis can only support 1 DR rail, the SR7MR2 chassis can only support one DR rail and the SR7MR4 chassis can only support two DR rails.”

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

3 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

@limniscate @austinpop @auricgoldfinger - don’t want to jump the gun on your OCX-10 and REF10 comparison, but I am curious what you mean by modded OCX-10 and what other components will be part of the comparison. Really looking forward to the ‘match’ and appreciate your doing this.

My OCX10 has Evox capacitors and eABS-200 EMI absorber.   @limniscate has a REF10.  I don't know all of the components since we'll be using his system, which I have never seen or heard, but we will be using his SR7 to power the OCX10.  @austinpop has no skin in the game but is interested in hearing the comparison.

3 hours ago, oilpaint said:

@limniscate @austinpop @auricgoldfinger - don’t want to jump the gun on your OCX-10 and REF10 comparison, but I am curious what you mean by modded OCX-10 and what other components will be part of the comparison. Really looking forward to the ‘match’ and appreciate your doing this.

I'm using Magnepan 3.7i speakers with dual Rythmik F12G subs.  Amplification is provided by a Hegel H30.  My preamp is an Audio Research Ref6.  DAC is a Schiit Yggdrasil.  My source is a ZENith MK. II SE to a SOtM tX-USB Ultra to a SOtM dX-USB Ultra clocked by a Mutec Ref10.  Both the SOtM tX and dX are powered by a Paul Hynes SR-7 MR2DRXL.  

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Ok, the MuMetal experiment is over for now. It was a mistake to start by applying the braid to the lps-1.2 to Iso Regen Gotham cable. The music became lifeless and constrained, so I removed the braid.

Instead the braid was installed on the two high current gotham cables feeding the motherboard, and the cable from the lps-1 to the lt3045 chain feeding the USB card. The remainder was applied to the Gotham cable feeding the tiny Trendnet Ethernet router.

Once the final braid installation was done, I spent the next two hours roaming around my music collection, and hearing many recordings for what seemed like the first time. The results are more of the same type of increases in SQ observed from the Gotham cable, denser images, and extension. But even better, the system just seems to be more musical, with an increase in what NAIMees call PRAT.

At one point I was afraid I'd wasted my money on this expensive MuMetal braid. Happily installing it on the high current cables made it worthwhile. But like anything, it can be too much of a good thing used in the wrong place.

Interesting how it works best on high current cables.  You saved me some $$ with that finding.  Thanks!

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

Hi Rajiv,

I switched from the sPS-500 to the JS-2 awhile back.  Do you know if the same applies to the JS-2?

Thanks.

Brian

in cellphone off topic button and go up b. sometimes really nearby,sorry auricgoldfinger,my fingers not so skinny......

17 hours ago, str-1 said:

From Paul: 

Unfortunately DR rails require two regulator modules per rail so the SR5 chassis can only support 1 DR rail, the SR7MR2 chassis can only support one DR rail and the SR7MR4 chassis can only support two DR rails.”

3 DR rails will fit in a Streacom FC9.

Double Regulation (DR) improves "to a give supply line and rectification interference rejection exceeding 150 dB from DC to 100 KHz" compared to >80dB DC to 100KHz.

DR adds about £200-300 depending on specification.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

13 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

My OCX10 has Evox capacitors and eABS-200 EMI absorber.   @limniscate has a REF10.  I don't know all of the components since we'll be using his system, which I have never seen or heard, but we will be using his SR7 to power the OCX10.  @austinpop has no skin in the game but is interested in hearing the comparison.

Very exciting.

I have the SOtM trifector with an SR7 and on the the brink of ordering a Mutec Ref-10 but wondered if the OXC10 might have better synergy.

A few questions if I may;

Were the OCX10 mods done by SOtM?

Who's stock OCX10 will you be using?

Is your tX-USBUltra 50 or 75ohm?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

1 hour ago, HeeBroG said:

Very exciting.

I have the SOtM trifector with an SR7 and on the the brink of ordering a Mutec Ref-10 but wondered if the OXC10 might have better synergy.

A few questions if I may;

Were the OCX10 mods done by SOtM?

Who's stock OCX10 will you be using?

Is your tX-USBUltra 50 or 75ohm?

1. The OCX10 mods were done by SOtM.  It has two 50 ohm and two 75 ohm ports.

2. We may not have access to a stock OCX10, after all.

3. I'm not sure since we'll be using @limniscate's 's tX-USBultra.  At home, I use the two 50 ohm ports.

It is a good idea if your cable doesn't have dielectric within the cable already.  My use of Canare star quad already has a group of cotton strings wrapped around the conductors.  

I did try a JS 360 on a group of my clocking cables running from sCLK-EX board to my NUC.  I did not add any kind of a dielectric around the cables before applying the first metal braid.  Big mistake, what an awful influence it had on SQ, highs.  I would imagine what happened is the conductors are emitting some kind of electric/magnetic noise that is just reflecting off the first metal braid back onto the conductor.  Here some kind of dielectric is needed before applying the first metal braid.  

I removed the JS 360 and all returned to normal.  I decided to forgo any more experimenting with these cables, for the moment.

I also applied the JS 360 to my PCIe mini SATA to PCIe 1X adapter.  There is a ribbon that runs from the NUC Mini Sata to the external PCIe 1X lane.  This ribbon is like a riser ribbon, thin and wide.  I managed to wrap it with a some shrink wrap first before applying the JS 360 with plenty of expansion and air.  Worked well.  SQ is as good as ever.   Every little bit helps.

My main goal, with the JS 360, is to prevent any RF noise from being picked up by the conductors from an external source and merging with the data stream on route to my Chord DAC.  I can conclude that the JS 360 has been a big success.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)