IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

For me, the $64,000 question is how my sCLK-OCX10 (with upgraded Evox capacitors and eABS-200 EMF paper) powered by a Paul Hynes SR5DRXL compares to the REF10 with its slightly lower phase noise at 10Hz and a lesser internal power supply.

Hi @auricgoldfinger

Interesting. So on paper at least the sCLK-OCX10 has a theoretical advantage if we assume that the SPS-500 is a better power supply than the built in PSU in the REF10? 

Is that a fair interpretation? 

Also are the Evox capacitors and EMF paper upgrades something you did yourself or an option to ask SOtM for? 

@austinpop - great work as usual Rajiv. Fascinating stuff. Feel like I'm riding on your coat tails somewhat. Just ordered a silver DC cable for my LPS-1.2 to TX-USBultra :ph34r:

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Update: Zenith SE with or without sMS-200ultra

Baseline SE chain: Router > shunted switch > modded switch (LSP-1.2) > Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (SR-4) > Codex DAC, vs.

• SE with full trifecta: Router > shunted switch > modded switch (LPS-1.2) > Zenith SE > modded switch (LPS-1.2) > sMS-200ultra (LPS-1.2) > tX-USBultra (SR-4) > Codex DAC
  • NOTE: there is only one modded switch - the reason it is shown twice in the chain above is to indicate data flow. Connectivity-wise, both the SE and the sMS-200ultra attach to the modded switch
  • Both sMS-200ultra and tX-USBultra reference clocked by the Ref 10

Result: The baseline SE configuration sounds better, as before. The introduction of the sMS-200ultra back into the chain seems to add a small bit of harshness and a flattening of the image, while delivering no perceptible increase in resolution, as one would expect with another reclocked component in the chain. There is a certain calm, inky-black smoothness to the SE that gets lost when you add the sMS-200ultra back in.

I don't really think that, based on this, one can make any associative conclusions of the DX3 vs the SE. I would caution against it. For my part, I am just glad that I could recoup some of the expense of the SE by selling the modded sMS, ISO-R, and 2 LPS-1s!

Thanks @austinpop for the above revisit. I agree that it shouldn't be used a a way to compare the SE and the DX3 as there are, due to the inherent complexity of the Trifecta systems, so many other variables like cables and power supplies at play here. 

In our tests with the Antipodes DX3, the sMS200 was powered by the sPS-500 (Cardas golden reference power chord) going through a 1A LT3045 chip via a Ghent DC cable prior and Uptone DC cable after the chip. And clocked by the Ref10 via the tX-USBultra

And this was the renderer we compared to the one built inside the DX3.

Pretty different from your setup ?

8 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

For me, the $64,000 question is how my sCLK-OCX10 (with upgraded Evox capacitors and eABS-200 EMF paper) powered by a Paul Hynes SR5DRXL compares to the REF10 with its slightly lower phase noise at 10Hz and a lesser internal power supply.

The on-paper specs of the sCLK-OCX10 look superb, no question.  One key differentiator is that the REF10 is square wave and the sCLK-OCX10 is sine wave.  I am sure both will be excellent performers, as to which is best, or what the audible differences might be, I have no idea.  It would be a fascinating comparison.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Update: Zenith SE with or without sMS-200ultra

One difference between @flkin and @Kritpoon's recent findings with the Antipodes DX3 and the SOtM trifecta, and @limniscate's and mine with the Zenith SE, has to do with the presence of the sMS-200ultra.

If you'll recall, before I got the SE, my optimal configuration was:

• Router > Win 10 bridged > shunted switch > modded switch > modded sMS-200 > ISO-Regen > tX-USBultra > Codex DAC
  • Cybershaft OP-14 providing the reference clock to the trifecta (switch, sMS, tX) via the tX master clock input
  • Roon Core on Win 10, music files on NAS

After much experimentation, I determined the new optimal configuration (i.e. with maximum SQ) was:

• Router > shunted switch > modded switch > Zenith SE > tX-USBultra > Codex DAC
  • Cybershaft OP-14 providing the reference clock to the tX and switch via the tX master clock input
  • Roon Core on Zenith SE, music on local SSD

Based on this finding, I sold my ISO-Regen and modded sMS-200, along with their respective LPS-1 PSUs. 

Fast forward to this week. Since I had ample PSUs on hand, along with Eric's Ref 10 and sMS-200ultra, I decided to revisit the question of whether the sMS-200ultra still has a place in a Zenith SE topology. This is in light of @flkin's observation that in their experiments, they found the combo of Antipodes AND SOtM trifecta to sound the best. In the context of my system, the question can be framed as follows: Does the addition of the sMS-200ultra in the path add or detract SQ? I compared the following 2 topologies:

• Baseline SE chain: Router > shunted switch > modded switch (LSP-1.2) > Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (SR-4) > Codex DAC, vs.
  • SE with full trifecta: Router > shunted switch > modded switch (LPS-1.2) > Zenith SE > modded switch (LPS-1.2) > sMS-200ultra (LPS-1.2) > tX-USBultra (SR-4) > Codex DAC
  • NOTE: there is only one modded switch - the reason it is shown twice in the chain above is to indicate data flow. Connectivity-wise, both the SE and the sMS-200ultra attach to the modded switch
  • Both sMS-200ultra and tX-USBultra reference clocked by the Ref 10

Result: The baseline SE configuration sounds better, as before. The introduction of the sMS-200ultra back into the chain seems to add a small bit of harshness and a flattening of the image, while delivering no perceptible increase in resolution, as one would expect with another reclocked component in the chain. There is a certain calm, inky-black smoothness to the SE that gets lost when you add the sMS-200ultra back in.

I don't really think that, based on this, one can make any associative conclusions of the DX3 vs the SE. I would caution against it. For my part, I am just glad that I could recoup some of the expense of the SE by selling the modded sMS, ISO-R, and 2 LPS-1s!

I presume you perceive some SQ gain with a shunted switch directly followed by a modded switch. But do you have any insight to why and can’t the modded switch be shunted instead or is the reason for having one switch followed by another switch not to get the benefit of a shunted switch?

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

If 0.5m Habst might seem to be expensive, here's another Viard Platinum HD Master Sync Clock 1.0M for $2,500

Interesting, one thing I heard this week was tales of dCS fanatics trying various clock cables in the full dCS stack.  I have to caveat this, it is more or less third hand information, but it is food for thought nevertheless.  We are talking clock cables costing 2K, 3k, even 8K:/ChordMusic, Transparent Ref XL, Nordost Odin, and so on.  Some of these cables make the Habst look cheap!  Apparently, the Shunyata Sigma & Alpha clock are as good as anything, at the bargain price of £2K and £1K respectively.  So the Shunyata Alpha vs Habst might be an interesting test, as they are at least similar money.  I could probably get hold of the Shunyata, can anyone lend me a Habst for a week or two?B|

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

37 minutes ago, Confused said:

Apparently, the Shunyata Sigma & Alpha clock are as good as anything, at the bargain price of £2K and £1K respectively.

The best part about Shunyata should be the availability of BOTH 50Ω and 75Ω versions

https://www.thecableco.com/venom-s-pdif-5349.html

https://www.thecableco.com/venom-s-pdif-5350.html

https://www.thecableco.com/sigma-clock-50.html

https://www.thecableco.com/sigma-clock-75.html

We could also pay $100 and $50 to borrow the Sigma and Alpha respectively

https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library

BTW, they also have ground cables that are terminated with RCA plugs etc.

https://www.thecableco.com/venom-cgc-sgc-ground-cable.html

https://www.thecableco.com/alpha-cgc-sgc-ground-cable.html

https://www.thecableco.com/sigma-cgc-sgc-ground-cable.html

7 minutes ago, zoltan said:

I was wondering if someone might want to open a 'clock cables' thread. This discussion is in several threads now.

Good idea.  It's beginning to look like eventually this thread will cover just about everything.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 3/9/2018 at 1:16 AM, austinpop said:

Perhaps SOTM will be willing to mod the Antipodes DX for me? LOL...

Great idea. See what they say!

I havn't ask them yet, there are still some more experiments to try with flkin (per your suggestions), so once we are all done and can make some conclusion, perhaps the Antipodes with s-clkEX might not be neccessary :)

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

On 3/9/2018 at 3:29 AM, rickca said:

So you have modified the MC-3+ USB to use an external linear PS?

Yes, I did. I just took out the back IEC inlet and its connection to the meanwell switching power supply inside. I tried to remove the whole Meanwell PS, but was't successful so I just soldered the output of the LPS-1 to each of the legs of the Meanwell that's connected to the main board.

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

Quick Take: Ref 10 vs. OP-14

I picked up @limniscate's Ref 10 yesterday, and after about 24 hours of warm-up in my system, Eric stopped by this afternoon for some listening. I had already cheated, and done some listening last night, after only a few hours of warmup.

I used a 50 Ω output (#1) from the Ref 10, and the same Cybershaft 50 Ω 0.5m cable for both clocks, feeding my tX-USBultra. We had no other cables on had hand to compare.

Well, I can only confirm what @flkin and @Kritpoon already reported. The Ref 10 is just another level above the OP-14. If you've heard the effect of a reference clock, this is just more of the same. As my teen daughter would jokingly say: "more clockular!" The best analogy is the focus of a camera lens. Going from the OP-14 to the Ref 10, instruments take on an even more realistic dimension, extremely fine details become easier to discern.

So Bangkok and Austin both agree - the Ref 10 outperforms the Cybershaft OP-14. No contest. Dang it! 

But at least this difference is consistent with the published phase noise specs (Ref 10 has lower phase noise) and price (Ref 10 is pricier). You get what you pay for!

Thank you for the report. Also, as I was discussing with @flkin beside the phase noise differences, the REF10 output square wave pattern but the Cybershft OP-14 output is sine wave pattern. I wonder if differences in wave form have any contribution to the differences in performance? or the sound signature of the clock itself?

6 hours ago, flkin said:

Thanks @austinpop for the above revisit. I agree that it shouldn't be used a a way to compare the SE and the DX3 as there are, due to the inherent complexity of the Trifecta systems, so many other variables like cables and power supplies at play here. 

In our tests with the Antipodes DX3, the sMS200 was powered by the sPS-500 (Cardas golden reference power chord) going through a 1A LT3045 chip via a Ghent DC cable prior and Uptone DC cable after the chip. And clocked by the Ref10 via the tX-USBultra

And this was the renderer we compared to the one built inside the DX3.

Pretty different from your setup ?

@flkin I didn't know you have that goodies connected between the SMS-500 and the SMS-200Ultra!

6 hours ago, Confused said:

The on-paper specs of the sCLK-OCX10 look superb, no question.  One key differentiator is that the REF10 is square wave and the sCLK-OCX10 is sine wave.  I am sure both will be excellent performers, as to which is best, or what the audible differences might be, I have no idea.  It would be a fascinating comparison.

In theory, the actual analog sine wave ought to be superior to a digitally approximated square wave.  In my opinion, it's analogous to the debate over analog vs. digitally reproduced music.  Maybe the analog is superior at the $250,000 system level, but for us mere mortals, there may not be an audible difference.  Even if there is a difference between the REF10 and sCLK-OCX10, it could be a function of phase noise or power supplies and not necessarily the wave type.

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

Quick Take: Ref 10 vs. OP-14

I picked up @limniscate's Ref 10 yesterday, and after about 24 hours of warm-up in my system, Eric stopped by this afternoon for some listening. I had already cheated, and done some listening last night, after only a few hours of warmup.

I used a 50 Ω output (#1) from the Ref 10, and the same Cybershaft 50 Ω 0.5m cable for both clocks, feeding my tX-USBultra. We had no other cables on had hand to compare.

Well, I can only confirm what @flkin and @Kritpoon already reported. The Ref 10 is just another level above the OP-14. If you've heard the effect of a reference clock, this is just more of the same. As my teen daughter would jokingly say: "more clockular!" The best analogy is the focus of a camera lens. Going from the OP-14 to the Ref 10, instruments take on an even more realistic dimension, extremely fine details become easier to discern.

So Bangkok and Austin both agree - the Ref 10 outperforms the Cybershaft OP-14. No contest. Dang it! 

But at least this difference is consistent with the published phase noise specs (Ref 10 has lower phase noise) and price (Ref 10 is pricier). You get what you pay for!

Given the price difference between the two, is it a $2000 improvement?  Understanding that if $ is no object one would buy the Ref 10.

Put another way, is there another place in someone's system where $2k would be put to better use and the OP-14 will suffice?

26 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The Evox capacitors and EMF paper upgrades are something SOtM is doing for me.  There are typically upgrades available that are not mentioned on their site, so it is always a good idea to ask May about additional options. 

I had the Evox capacitors installed in the sPS-500 that came with the OCX10, and when I swapped it with the sPS-500 (with standard capacitors) that powers my tX-USBultra, I definitely hear a difference.  The sound is clearer and more open with the Evox capacitors.

Thanks. Good to know. I'm seriously tempted by the sCLK-OCX10 but would love to see a playoff against the REF10 first. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

FYI - TEAC NT-505 and UD-505 seemed to be good for either rectangular (same as square?) or sine wave

https://teac.jp/int/product/nt-505/spec

https://teac.jp/int/product/ud-505/spec

Rectangle wave: equivalent to TTL levels
Sine wave: 0.5 to 1.0 Vrms

Then I checked the manual of NT-505 as linked below, 10MHz reference clock input turned out to be only applicable for Ethernet and USB inputs (as USB DAC as well as reading files off USB drives)

https://teac.jp/downloads/products/teac/nt-505/NT-505_OM_J_vA3.pdf#page=9

No Ethernet for UD-505 so reference clock would only kick in when USB input is used

https://teac.jp/downloads/products/teac/ud-505/UD-505_OM_J_vA.pdf#page=9

In other words, we just dunno which part(s) of both DACs could actually benefit from 10MHz reference clock.