IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Well, that’s not new, even in high end audio. For example Jeff Rowland is a firm believer in switching mode power supplies with filtering. All of his products in the current lineup (even the M925 monoblocks with a price of $50k or more) use high efficiency SPMS.

Linn as well

26 minutes ago, mozes said:

The only concern is maybe the high frequency noise that these switching PSUs kick back to the AC mains. To deal with this concern, I have Dave on a dedicated line by itself since it is my DAC/PRE/Amp.

The way I see it the high impedance noises is only present when Ethernet devices is powered (router and network switch). Easily cured by a JSGT at the output of the SMPS. Other devices (streamers included) can be supported by LT3045s in series. Try to add a JSGT to a non-ethernet device with LT3045s and you probably know what I mean. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I agree, it is difficult to generalize.  The theory behind low power is that high power introduces more noise and is more difficult to power with an LPSU.  Using a switching PSU again introduces more noise.  Are there benefits that components with higher power bring to the table, yes.  One I can think of is with upsampling to DSD512.  However this is the only situation I know of where more power can be used for better SQ.  Otherwise introducing more power means more noise.

This is one area that I have been pondering for a short while also, and not sure what the difference it truly has.  By reading listening impressions from this thread, it appear that either trifecta or low power sCLK-EX server show similar or at the same level of sound quality, where in trifecta setup, most of attentions are in the three sCLK-EX re-clocked devices, and not much discussion in the server side.  My discussion with SOtM about the two options listed below where option-1 starts sCLK-EX re-clocking cycles from mobo system clock, where option-2 put all re-clocking cycles further back, bypassing PC altogether, and their feeling is option-2 should yield better result then option-1.  This leads me to think, in a very generalized way, as long as multiple sCLK-EX re-clocking cycles are done right before signal entering DAC with good quality power supplies, prior signal quality can be (somewhat) bypassed.  I hoping to get option-2 going soon once few more confirmation are received from SOtM, and hopefully (my part of wishful thinking) this will result in similar sound quality as either trifecta or low power sCLK-EX server, where high power PC can be used.

1.  PC (sCLK-EX output-1 to replace PC system clock / sCLK-EX output-2 to replace stock txUSBexp oscillator) > Singxer SU-1 (sCLK-EX output-3 to replace USB input clock (24.000MHz) / output-4 to replace both 22.5762MHz/24.576MHz oscillators with SEL0 connected).

2.  PC (sCLK-EX output-1 to replace stock txUSBexp oscillator / sCLK-EX output-2 to replace stock ) > Singxer SU-1 (sCLK-EX output-3 to replace USB input clock (24.000MHz) / output-4 to replace both 22.5762MHz/24.576MHz oscillators with SEL0 connected).

Further back, another poster said SOtM suggested that modifying the PC mobo with a sCLK-EX would be preferred over SOtM products further down the stream only.  

I think SOtM products is the key, if your going to introduce another non sCLK-Ex component after the server, then that component takes precedence, since it would negatively effect sCLK-EX components upstream.  

My preference would be to eliminate any complications downstream by eliminating those components and simplifying the system.  Thus a sCLK-EX server with tops one added component downstream to utilize all the sCLK-EX points from a single card.  Even that is unnecessary if one can utilize a USPCB from the tXUSBexp card on the sCLK-EX server direct to DAC.  Such a short run would keep from any electrical interferences from conjoining to the stream.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, AmusedToD said:

Well, that’s not new, even in high end audio. For example Jeff Rowland is a firm believer in switching mode power supplies with filtering. All of his products in the current lineup (even the M925 monoblocks with a price of $50k or more) use high efficiency SPMS.

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Linn as well

The Benchmark amp I use, which is the lowest noise amp on the market, also uses an SMPS.  I don't know if I would call it common in the realm of PC and network hardware.  It is more common in audio equipment, which is why you are pointing this out.  However, we are talking about customized PC and related hardware.

Here's what Benchmark has to say about the PSU in their amp.

INNOVATIVE LOW-NOISE POWER SUPPLY

Most high-quality power amplifiers have linear power supplies, large toroidal transformers, and large banks of energy-storage capacitors. These linear supplies are usually unregulated and the capacitors help to remove ripple produced by the audio and by the AC line. In contrast, the AHB2 uses a tightly regulated resonant switching power supply that includes a very fast control loop. This control loop responds to audio-frequency load changes and keeps the supply voltage constant without the use of a large bank of capacitors. This active regulation is much more effective than capacitive energy-storage. Consequently, the peak power output of the AHB2 does not vary with line voltage or audio loading. The power supply rails maintain a constant voltage during audio peaks.

The power supply in the AHB2 switches at frequencies that are well above audible frequencies. This eliminates mechanical hum while significantly reducing the strength of stray magnetic fields. For a given amount of power, magnetic field strength decreases as switching frequency increases. The lower field strengths also provide a significant reduction in size. High-frequency transformers and coils are also much smaller than line-frequency components. This size reduction contributes to the small physical size of the AHB2.

The switching power supply used in the AHB2 is a zero-voltage switching, resonant power converter. This means that the power devices in the supply switch near zero voltage and zero current, eliminating the large switching transients produced by conventional switching power supplies. The power supply in the AHB2 is actually much cleaner and quieter than a conventional linear supply. 

The power supply In the AHB2 is well over 90% efficient, much more efficient than linear supplies. This means that little power is lost to heat.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The Benchmark amp I use, which is the lowest noise amp on the market, also uses an SMPS.  I don't know if I would call it common in the realm of PC and network hardware.  It is more common in audio equipment, which is why you are pointing this out.  However, we are talking about customized PC and related hardware.

Here's what Benchmark has to say about the PSU in their amp.

INNOVATIVE LOW-NOISE POWER SUPPLY

Most high-quality power amplifiers have linear power supplies, large toroidal transformers, and large banks of energy-storage capacitors. These linear supplies are usually unregulated and the capacitors help to remove ripple produced by the audio and by the AC line. In contrast, the AHB2 uses a tightly regulated resonant switching power supply that includes a very fast control loop. This control loop responds to audio-frequency load changes and keeps the supply voltage constant without the use of a large bank of capacitors. This active regulation is much more effective than capacitive energy-storage. Consequently, the peak power output of the AHB2 does not vary with line voltage or audio loading. The power supply rails maintain a constant voltage during audio peaks.

The power supply in the AHB2 switches at frequencies that are well above audible frequencies. This eliminates mechanical hum while significantly reducing the strength of stray magnetic fields. For a given amount of power, magnetic field strength decreases as switching frequency increases. The lower field strengths also provide a significant reduction in size. High-frequency transformers and coils are also much smaller than line-frequency components. This size reduction contributes to the small physical size of the AHB2.

The switching power supply used in the AHB2 is a zero-voltage switching, resonant power converter. This means that the power devices in the supply switch near zero voltage and zero current, eliminating the large switching transients produced by conventional switching power supplies. The power supply in the AHB2 is actually much cleaner and quieter than a conventional linear supply. 

The power supply In the AHB2 is well over 90% efficient, much more efficient than linear supplies. This means that little power is lost to heat.

Wow. Even how impressive that was I could'nt even finish it understanding it all. I am 100% sure you've got it all right, but did it prove your point? I don't think so! It was just to much "jitter" there that covered the truth. I am normally quite resistant to "jitter" on forums, but find your point quite hard to follow. I do beleive you, but I do not follow you so to speak.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Wow. Even how impressive that was I could'nt even finish it understanding it all. I am 100% sure you've got it all right, but did it prove your point? I don't think so! It was just to much "jitter" there that covered the truth. I am normally quite resistant to "jitter" on forums, but find your point quite hard to follow. I do beleive you, but I do not follow you so to speak.

Simply stated, my point was that manufacturers in the audio industry pay closer attention to noise from power supplies than other industries like computer and network.  I didn't say anything about jitter, unless you were using that term to describe the Benchmark information.

What information you didn't finish or understand was from Benchmark.  Maybe this will help you.

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Simply stated, my point was that manufacturers in the audio industry pay closer attention to noise from power supplies than other industries like computer and network.  I didn't say anything about jitter, unless you were using that term to describe the Benchmark information.

What information you didn't finish or understand was from Benchmark.  Maybe this will help you.

Thanks, much better! My use of "jitter" for this reason was more of the confusion it brought to the table than real jitter. It is very obvious that network devices take away some. Using JSGT is likely a way to remove that crud. Using the same method on non-ethernet devices will likely end up worse IME.

The "funny" thing is that this is closely attached to grounding boxes which are not that commonly accepted here at CA. The same thing applies to JSGT as external grounding boxes IME. I have experimentet with external grounding boxes for roughly 6 years without knowing why or how. John Swensons JSGT have actually brought me closer to the truth. High impedance noise.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Which motherboard can be adviced for low power, high quality, long endurence server? Prefered format is mini atx or smaller, with at least 1 pci-ex slot for Sotm usb card.

Who says that low power will prevail in the end? IME low power is outstanding until you add dual floats (dual isolations). With dual floats not even battery supply will stand a chance.

🎛️  Audio System  

13 minutes ago, mozes said:

My recommendation is that you really don't need a second tX-USBexp, if you have the sCLK-EX board in your server and you got the main clock and other LAN clocks modded, then you are in a very good position. NO need to go any further!

Many thanks for  testing.

2 hours ago, mozes said:

Today I had some time to compare the playback of local files of:

1-Intel SLC 64GB SSD powered by SATA port of motherboard (sPS-500)+SOTM SATA filter II

2-Seagate 2TB HDD powered by a TP-link powerbank connected via USB to tX-USBexp. USB cable is Elijah audio which has separate wires for power, ground and data.

I thought that option 2 will be a clear winner with no contest, but I was surprised. It was very very close that I had to test 4 tracks back and forth like 4-5 times for each track. It was so close that I was worried about my placebo effect.   However, I can declare that option 2 is marginally better by around 2-3% only. No, I didn't do blind testing for those who are interested. These are only my subjective ears.

My recommendation is that you really don't need a second tX-USBexp, if you have the sCLK-EX board in your server and you got the main clock and other LAN clocks modded, then you are in a very good position. NO need to go any further!

Just spend $65 on the SATA filter II as this is an amazing little tweak. If I had my SSD powered externally, then I wouldn't be surprised if there were no differences at all. One caveat here, I use Jriver and play decoded files from memory, so this may have an impact on my results.

What would be nice to know, is can you run the OS, Windows 10, from the external USB drive via the tXUSBexp pcie card?  What effect would this be on SQ?  

I agree, the data is more than likely not a big issue and one can go via SATA port direct, throw in the SATA II filter if so inclined, it probably wouldn't make a big difference?

It's the OS that I would like to compare.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

39 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

What would be nice to know, is can you run the OS, Windows 10, from the external USB drive via the tXUSBexp pcie card?  What effect would this be on SQ?  

I agree, the data is more than likely not a big issue and one can go via SATA port direct, throw in the SATA II filter if so inclined, it probably wouldn't make a big difference?

It's the OS that I would like to compare.

Honestly, I am not sure how to install the OS on the external HDD. I tried but the PC kept crashing. If anyone can help and guide me how to do it. I will be glad to test it and post my findings.

9 hours ago, mozes said:

Honestly, I am not sure how to install the OS on the external HDD. I tried but the PC kept crashing. If anyone can help and guide me how to do it. I will be glad to test it and post my findings.

Here is what works for me.

Make a normal bootable win10 install on to a hard disk connected via sata.  Once done, remove the HDD, place in a USB 3 enclosure, and then attach it to another windows 10 machine via USB 3.  Now run wintousb as referenced above. The wintogo tool is in the tools menu.  Once done the drive should be bootable.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

It's gonna be mighty interesting if someone were able to give Roy's #1 media for best SQ and lowest noise - SLC CF cards with Lexar HR-1 Compact Flash Hub a try

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=153&tab=comments#comment-724987

4 Tools To Create Windows To Go USB Of Windows 10
http://www.intowindows.com/4-tools-to-create-windows-to-go-usb-of-windows-10/

Rufus
https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=e

Create Windows To Go from any Windows 8/8.1/10 using Rufus
http://borncity.com/win/2015/02/09/create-windows-to-go-from-any-windows-88-110-with-rufus/

How to Create A Windows To Go USB (Guide)
https://beebom.com/how-create-windows-to-go-usb/

How To Run A Portable Version Of Windows From A USB Drive
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/04/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-drive/

Windows To Go: feature overview
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

Creating a Portable Windows 10 Environment with Windows To Go
https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/F/A/7FA13A2A-5780-448C-BAD0-440543AD43FC/5614_Creating_a_Portable_Windows_10_Environment_External_WSG.docx

What is Windows To Go?
https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_US/What-is-Windows-To-Go.html

WinToUSB
https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

Create Windows 10/8/8.1/7 Bootable USB with AOMEI Partition Assistant
https://www.disk-partition.com/lib/wintogo.html

Aomei Partition Assistant review: Windows to Go no longer just for Enterprise users
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2152040/aomei-partition-assistant-review-windows-to-go-no-longer-just-for-enterprise-users.html

Thanks a lot will try it

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Here is what works for me.

Make a normal bootable win10 install on to a hard disk connected via sata.  Once done, remove the HDD, place in a USB 3 enclosure, and then attach it to another windows 10 machine via USB 3.  Now run wintousb as referenced above. The wintogo tool is in the tools menu.  Once done the drive should be bootable.

Thanks Larry will download wintogo.

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Thanks Larry will download wintogo.

Mozes, you may want to consider using an Intel Optane as a boot SSD. If you don't have a m.2 slot in your motherboard you can obtain a pcie board with an m.2 slot.

SQ impact comes from two properties of the Optane stick, first it is extremely quiet, and second it is the fastest drive on the planet for the frequent 4k random io used in Windows. I know at least five people who have successfully completed an Optane boot installation and each is very happy with the results.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

14 hours ago, mozes said:

Today I had some time to compare the playback of local files of:

1-Intel SLC 64GB SSD powered by SATA port of motherboard (sPS-500)+SOTM SATA filter II

2-Seagate 2TB HDD powered by a TP-link powerbank connected via USB to tX-USBexp. USB cable is Elijah audio which has separate wires for power, ground and data.

I thought that option 2 will be a clear winner with no contest, but I was surprised. It was very very close that I had to test 4 tracks back and forth like 4-5 times for each track. It was so close that I was worried about my placebo effect.   However, I can declare that option 2 is marginally better by around 2-3% only. No, I didn't do blind testing for those who are interested. These are only my subjective ears.

Just spend $65 on the SATA filter II as this is an amazing little tweak. If I had my SSD powered externally, then I wouldn't be surprised if there were no differences at all. One caveat here, I use Jriver and play decoded files from memory, so this may have an impact on my results.

Mozes, can you provide more details on use of a SATA filter, e.g., applicability, availability, simplicity of install?

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

Mozes, you may want to consider using an Intel Optane as a boot SSD. If you don't have a m.2 slot in your motherboard you can obtain a pcie board with an m.2 slot.

SQ impact comes from two properties of the Optane stick, first it is extremely quiet, and second it is the fastest drive on the planet for the frequent 4k random io used in Windows. I know at least five people who have successfully completed an Optane boot installation and each is very happy with the results.

Hi Larry,

First off, Mozes already has a mobo modified with sCLK-EX that doesn't have the m.2 slot.  Reason being that he opted (my suggestion) for the mini PCIe slot so as to add a second tXUSBexp card, which is probably a better option than Optane.   Now he can use any drive for the OS and gain the benefit of the filtering, reclocking of the tXUSBexp card.  Shall be interesting to hear how a OS drive SQ is impacted in this configuration.

Second, from my understanding of your other thread concerning the Optane SSD is that you need a higher power mobo with the proper PCIe lane speed/archetecture to use the Optane SSD properly?  That of course wouldn't suit a low power mobo ideology here, which I'm sure doesn't exist with these proper specs.  

Third, is speed of the OS drive a real concern here for audio playback?

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Both the PCIe and mPCIe slots are occupied with two tX-USBexp cards. Optane is in my mind but I think I will have to plan this for a new motherboard that accomodates it. Let see in the near future how the new breed of motherboards will look like. I want to enjoy my server for sometime now :) 

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

Mozes, can you provide more details on use of a SATA filter, e.g., applicability, availability, simplicity of install?

The SATA filter I am using is the SOTM SATA II filter. It is plug and play, takes 5 sec to install. It is plugged to the SSD/HDD and the SATA/power cables coming from the motherboard plug to its other side.