IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, romaz said:

For those who want to go for the ultimate, Stillpoints makes standoffs that supposedly incorporate the same level of isolation as their Ultra Minis that could have been used to isolate my motherboard, SSD, and sCLK-EX board from the chassis.  At $45 per standoff and since 12 standoffs were necessary, that would have cost me $540 for standoffs alone and so I passed.  Instead, I bought a trio of Stillpoints Ultra Minis ($375 although I found a used set of 3 for $250) to use under the chassis and I have confirmed that these absolutely make a difference with respect to detail clarity (a larger difference than the inexpensive Black Raviolis I was previously using) although the overall improvement is small.  

Have you tried or considered Barry Diament's roller bearing isolation solution?

2 hours ago, romaz said:

Combined with the latest AO beta and its digital filters and sound signatures, it is the best sounding OS solution I have yet heard for music playback for Roon but also for ripping CDs via dBPowerAmp.

What AO filters and signatures are you using?

2 hours ago, romaz said:

With the sCLK-EX board in my server chassis, I am using 1 clock for the motherboard's 25Mhz system clock, 1 clock to concurrently replace both of the integrated LAN clocks, 1 clock to replace the stock clock in SOtM's tX-USBexp and tX-USBhubIN.

Why did you replace both ethernet clocks on the motherboard?

2 hours ago, romaz said:

Using dBpowerAmp on Windows Server 2016 + AO, these are the now very best CD rips I have ever made. 

Do you believe the sound of the extracted data of the CDs are improved by your configuration?

Have you incorporated any type of grounding?

Thanks for the details of your system.

8 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Many thanks for posting everything in great detail.

Lee should have mentioned that fiber optic would add jitter and that's why SOtM would prefer filtering instead of isolation.

Is that why you'd rather forgo the option of Adnaco-S1B even if that were giving you extra PCIe slots plus the advantage of distancing tX-USBexp cards from other components?

http://www.adnaco.com/products/s1b/

Anyways, it's already a challenge to cram everything on top of Tranquility Base XL UEF so that's really no biggie.

BTW, you've gotta take a picture when Rob Watts drops his jaw after listening to your latest and greatest rig.

Yes, you're correct. Lee does not like optical solutions due to high jitter.  As it was Lee that personally modified the Adnaco I sent him, he got a chance to listen to it and even with its 3 clocks replaced, he told me he thought it was a step back because It was sounding flat. It was at that point that he encouraged me to try his tX-USBexp. 

I knew I needed to hear it for myself and so he went ahead and completed the mod of the Adnaco per my request which included the replacing of several capacitors.  Once I received the modified Adnaco back, I felt it had definitely improved and I liked the smoother and more solid image it was portraying.  Around the time I received the modified Adnaco back, I was also able to audition the ISO Regen and I found the ISO Regen to be so good that in its stock form, it was equivalent to the modified Adnaco.  Around this time, I was able to access an SOtM tX-USBexp (non Ultra) and so I compared it to the modified Adnaco. I found Lee to be correct, even the non-ultra tX-USBexp was sounding more impressive to me than the modified Adnaco and when I added the ISO Regen to the tX-USBexp, this combo was easily better than the Adnaco.  Better yet, tX-USBexp + ISO Regen only utilized 2 clocks while the Adnaco solution by itself utilized 3 clocks although this combo costs more than the Adnaco.

Having said that, the Adnaco definitely has merit and it does some nice things. For those who have a thin sounding system, you might really like what the Adnaco does and regardless of jitter, optical isolation definitely lowers the noise floor.  For those who wish to keep their server in a different room or even a different building, you can purchase very long optical cables for very little money and still get excellent sound while remaining "straight USB." If you follow the Adnaco with a tX-USBultra, you come reasonably close to what the SOtM trifecta provides.

9 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Do you believe the sound of the extracted data of the CDs are improved by your configuration?

Thanks for the details of your system.

Please ignore this question: Why did you replace both ethernet clocks on the motherboard?  I just realized you stated concurrent.

13 hours ago, Johnseye said:

No, I have never heard of those but I do find ball bearing-type solutions from the likes of Stillpoints and Symposium Acoustics to generally be more effective then the rubber or sorbothane-type footers. 

It depends.  For large orchestral music or music with a lot of atmosphere, I am liking 4D.  It provides the most depth.  However, when I want tighter imaging, I'll go down to 3C.  Signatures 1 and 2 sound too mechanical for my setup.

Because I could do so while only utilizing 1 clock from my sCLK-EX board.  I don't plan to build 2 servers although I have 2 listening rooms (home office with desktop setup and my main listening room).  What I envision eventually is to bridge both LAN ports and then run CAT6/7 cabling from one of these bridged ports directly to my home office where I will install a SOtM trifecta.  That way, both systems can benefit from this server.  This is where the Adnaco solution could have worked well, however, my server only has 1 PCIe slot.

Yes.  While it makes no sense, it would appear that what's good for streaming is also good for CD ripping.  Whether its due to noise that gets embedded into the stream that makes its way into the rip, I'm not sure.

Paul Pang advocates a certain type of DVD-ROM drive for ripping CDs, specifically an ASUS model with a MediaTek chip that utilizes no internal clock of its own (presuming this clock adds noise to the stream). 

http://ppastudio.blogspot.com/2016/05/cd-ripping.html

I bought a portable USB version of one of these these drives and I will run some tests to see if it makes a difference.  

Yes.  As recently posted, I have tried grounding my DAVE via an Entreq Poseidon with Atlantis grounding cables via DAVE's XLR output, a Synergistic Research grounding block with HiDef grounding cable and most recently with Sound Galleries latest D2 grounding blocks and they made no difference.  I have 2 of these D2 grounding blocks and have applied them to my music server but also to the spare USB port on my tX-USBultra and they result in improvements in those positions although the bigger difference is on my server.  

20170930_170301.thumb.jpg.d63f471332aad3a0100ea2fabeee92bc.jpg

7 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Great job Roy,

What a contrast to my economical sCLK-EX direct USB build.

NUC (used $100)

tXUSBexp (used $150)

USPCB ($35)

Chord 2Qute (used $900)

2-old HDD enclosures ($20)

1 PPA SATA chord (used $20)

Omega Super 8XRS Speakers ($2420)

2-DIY canare speaker/interconnect cables ($16)

1KVA Topaz Isolation Transformer (used $200)

1 tripplite 20V power strip, 12 outlets ($30)

2- LPS-1's ($760)

Paul Hynes SR7 MR4 ($1950)

5TB 2.5" HDD - (Ebay $130)

sCLK-EX loaded, installation, shipping, master clock option - ($1185)

sCLK OCX-10 Reference (once released) - ($1500)???

USB mouse and keyboard - ($15)

ASUS monitor I've been using for a few years, all PC's attached.

I do my own optimization on Windows 10, no need for others software, other than JRiver.

Shocking!! still comes to ($9431) give or take on final cost of SOtM master clock and some DIY Canare DC chords.    And I thought I was being economically wise in choosing my components carefully for the biggest bang in SQ.  Nice little exercise for others to do from Server/streamer to Speaker or headphones, what ever is your preferred listening means.

Thanks, Mark.  Your system is well thought out and so good for you.  In my case, the cost was painfully higher mainly because of so many things that I bought that ended up never making the final cut and so I have a lot of money invested in parts that are now just lying around (i.e. motherboards, CPUs, various RAM, various PCIe cards, USB hubs, the Adnaco, network switches, FMCs, routers, etc.).  This is the price I've paid for knowledge but at least I've now satisfied just about all of my curiosities.

41 minutes ago, romaz said:

Thanks, Mark.  Your system is well thought out and so good for you.  In my case, the cost was painfully higher mainly because of so many things that I bought that ended up never making the final cut and so I have a lot of money invested in parts that are now just lying around (i.e. motherboards, CPUs, various RAM, various PCIe cards, USB hubs, the Adnaco, network switches, FMCs, routers, etc.).  This is the price I've paid for knowledge but at least I've now satisfied just about all of my curiosities.

Roy, your the one that couldn't be thanked enough.  Your experimentation blazed the path that allowed me to cherry pick the components that I felt we're the most important and worked for the right cost, for me.  With others confirmations it made it much easier. 

I agree, now, like you and @mozes said, the sCLK-EX is the most important product of the year.  It's versatility and that of SOtM's to modify products makes it one of the best deals on the market today.  In fact, it's amazing that no one else has yet been able to duplicate this technology or compete with it. 

I may give the SATA II filter a shot upon the release of the SOtM master clock.  I will ask May if it would work on a SATA III HDD being driven by a SATA II connection.  That DATA line filtering may have some benefit. 

Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy the music.  I haven't been able to get away from it for the past 3 days.   So Good!!

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

58 minutes ago, romaz said:

No, I have never heard of those but I do find ball bearing-type solutions from the likes of Stillpoints and Symposium Acoustics to generally be more effective then the rubber or sorbothane-type footers.  

An interesting discussion going here with regards to materials used in isolation and vibration.  

1 hour ago, romaz said:

It depends.  For large orchestral music or music with a lot of atmosphere, I am liking 4D.  It provides the most depth.  However, when I want tighter imaging, I'll go down to 3C.  Signatures 1 and 2 sound too mechanical for my setup.

Me too, Roy. Way back when I first got the sMS-200, I settled on 3C as the optimum setting. Recently - after I got my Cybershaft - I decided to revisit AO, and I discovered I liked 4D best, and this is what I'm using.

Because I could do so while only utilizing 1 clock from my sCLK-EX board.  I don't plan to build 2 servers although I have 2 listening rooms (home office with desktop setup and my main listening room).  What I envision eventually is to bridge both LAN ports and then run CAT6/7 cabling from one of these bridged ports directly to my home office where I will install a SOtM trifecta.  That way, both systems can benefit from this server.  This is where the Adnaco solution could have worked well, however, my server only has 1 PCIe slot.

This is actually something I wanted to ask you. Roy. Is there a streamlined version of your build you would recommend for those of us who want to preserve our trifectas, but just want an sCLK-modded Roon Server upstream?

17 hours ago, romaz said:

With the sCLK-EX board in my server chassis, I am using 1 clock for the motherboard's 25Mhz system clock, 1 clock to concurrently replace both of the integrated LAN clocks, 1 clock to replace the stock clock in SOtM's tX-USBexp and tX-USBhubIN.  

By my count, your build uses up 3 of the clock taps. Although - I am not sure why the mobo and the Ethernet controllers can't share the same 25MHz clock tap? Different voltages? Or too much current draw?

Ideally, I'd like a Roon Server build that used 2 clock taps from the sCLK-EX, leaving 2 free to feed a Netgear router like yours.

I'll talk to you about it in Denver.

Hi Roy,

You said you prefer the mini-itx that can be powered by 12V of SR7. What do you think that since the itx is powered by direct 12V dc, there are still a lot of dc-to-dc noisy switching regulators on-board as some guys here claimed and less ideal compared with ATX power connection type mobo which has separated multiple dc voltages? 

I have got another question is if my server OS is extremely small like Daphile which only requires less than 16 GB, what is the best OS media storage to use with reference to your mini-itx mobo rather than the noisier SATA II drive?

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I stand by my statement that your incremental $ is better spent upstream of the DAC, in the front end of your digital chain.

I guess my question now is the relative importance of server clocks/filtering vs trifecta.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Modern DACs today are incredibly good, even at the sub-$2k price point.

Very true! Also a dac is as good as the signal you feed it. With my front end, a friend told me that my Brooklyn sounds better than Berkeley reference 2. Even if it wasn't, and it shouldn't be, I know where to spend my $$ if I am on a tight budget!

Hi Roy ,

I have read your very interesting long last post on your server set-up and i have a few comments and questions .

- Did you do listening test to pick up the right MB ? this is a tricky choice . I fully agree with the celeron low horse power pc it keeps the noise lower  . Also much of the hardware on the processor keep thing's efficient  .

However since you went with one since 12 v power supply , all of the different voltage are supplied through noisy DC-DC  converters including for the processor itself .

I think i will probably compare on my pc player my current set-up with a single mini-its celeron processor as you did

-  I see that you are using the Pachinko Reference for the OS data connection to the MB , why you did not went to the Pure Reference which my self i am using ( following i think you recommendations ) . The Pure Reference is a notch better than the Reference mainly on the attack of the notes .

- I have picked up from Paul Pang site one thing which work very well . To my surprise SSD are sensitive to vibration and i have attached each of my SSD's to an aluminum bloc( 15 mmm thick ) with very good result . It bring much more clarity to the sound .

In my system it brought a progress similar to the separate power supply for each ssd .

- Which power supply are you using to feed the SSD  and also to feed the sCLK-EX board ?

- EMI-RFI reduction , you have been using the SOTM paper . I have done the same but with the 3M 5100s pair which is also transform    EMI-RFI to heat . Have you ever compared both since the 3M pair is quite cheaper ?

Thank's for everything and i do hop that we can still enjoy from time to time your writings !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

6 hours ago, austinpop said:
  • trifecta medley > Codex
  • sCLK-ed switch > Ethernet > QX-5

What music player apps are you using in these configs?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

15 hours ago, romaz said:

Yes, you're correct. Lee does not like optical solutions due to high jitter.  As it was Lee that personally modified the Adnaco I sent him, he got a chance to listen to it and even with its 3 clocks replaced, he told me he thought it was a step back because It was sounding flat. It was at that point that he encouraged me to try his tX-USBexp. 

I knew I needed to hear it for myself and so he went ahead and completed the mod of the Adnaco per my request which included the replacing of several capacitors.  Once I received the modified Adnaco back, I felt it had definitely improved and I liked the smoother and more solid image it was portraying.  Around the time I received the modified Adnaco back, I was also able to audition the ISO Regen and I found the ISO Regen to be so good that in its stock form, it was equivalent to the modified Adnaco.  Around this time, I was able to access an SOtM tX-USBexp (non Ultra) and so I compared it to the modified Adnaco. I found Lee to be correct, even the non-ultra tX-USBexp was sounding more impressive to me than the modified Adnaco and when I added the ISO Regen to the tX-USBexp, this combo was easily better than the Adnaco.  Better yet, tX-USBexp + ISO Regen only utilized 2 clocks while the Adnaco solution by itself utilized 3 clocks although this combo costs more than the Adnaco.

Having said that, the Adnaco definitely has merit and it does some nice things. For those who have a thin sounding system, you might really like what the Adnaco does and regardless of jitter, optical isolation definitely lowers the noise floor.  For those who wish to keep their server in a different room or even a different building, you can purchase very long optical cables for very little money and still get excellent sound while remaining "straight USB." If you follow the Adnaco with a tX-USBultra, you come reasonably close to what the SOtM trifecta provides.

Was interested to read that "Lee" does not like optical solutions due to high jitter.  Given the required geographical separation of my PC server and DAC, I chose the Adnaco S3B USB over Fiber set up so I would like to learn more about jitter effects and optical. 

At the time it was released, I tried the original Regen with OEM SMPS between the Adnaco receiver module and my DAC but disliked what it did the SQ that I returned the Regen.  Have no idea what the SOtM trifecta is and do not understand all the posts re clocks but might consider adding the tX-USBultra to the chain if the SQ justified the expense.

5 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

- EMI-RFI reduction , you have been using the SOTM paper . I have done the same but with the 3M 5100s pair which is also transform    EMI-RFI to heat . Have you ever compared both since the 3M pair is quite cheaper ?

The 3M AB 5000S series EMI Absorber, including the AB-5100S, is very similar and may in fact be the same as the SOtM eABS-200.  The 5100S is the same 1m thickness.  The stated applications by 3M are applicable.  3M states it has enhanced absorption at lower frequencies, below 1GHz.  If you look at the chart it shows 6GHz and SOtM says on their site, noise removal up to 6GHz possible.

However that model number seems out of production.

The new model numbers are showing as halogen free versions AB5100HF or AB5100SHF but they are between 200MHz - 10GHz and 50Mhz - 10GHz respectively.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

The 3M AB 5000S series EMI Absorber, including the AB-5100S, is very similar and may in fact be the same as the SOtM eABS-200.  The 5100S is the same 1m thickness.  The stated applications by 3M are applicable.  3M states it has enhanced absorption at lower frequencies, below 1GHz.  If you look at the chart it shows 6GHz and SOtM says on their site, noise removal up to 6GHz possible.

However that model number seems out of production.

The new model numbers are showing as halogen free versions AB5100HF or AB5100SHF but they are between 200MHz - 10GHz and 50Mhz - 10GHz respectively.

I think I used the 5100SHF from Digikey. It looks very similar to SOTM paper but cheaper 50$ vs 120$

Anyhow results are good with noise reduction you get darker background in the music. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

28 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I think I used the 5100SHF from Digikey. It looks very similar to SOTM paper but cheaper 50$ vs 120$

Anyhow results are good with noise reduction you get darker background in the music. 

I can only guess covering more of the frequency range between 6GHz and 10GHz is a good thing.  I wonder why Lee was recommending not using too much.  What could the negative effects be of blocking out EMI?

@romaz what's your take on the best place to start ... on the server with sCLK-EX and tX-USBexp, or downstream with tX-USBultra and maybe a modded switch?  

I just read your big post again, and I guess this would be your answer.

If I didn't need the extra clock taps in the tX-USBultra for my router, I could have easily skipped the tX-USBultra (and ISO Regen) because my single box server paired with the REF10 is already so good, however, adding a reclocked ISO-Regen and tX-USBultra definitely adds further improvement and for those looking to go to infinity and beyond, I believe this gets you there.