IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Now I see what you're looking for, let's say we're already owners of the original sMS-200 and then we're paying for that 990 + 210 = $1,200 tX-USBultra. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

I asked this question before to SOtM.  What I got was that modding sMS-200 will not be as good as having the ultras because the external clock connection in the mod is not as good as the internal clock connection with the ultras.

More good news regarding Allo DigiOne, a nice option for those of us who would like to avoid everything related to USB signal integrity etc.

http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-4520.html

Allo DigiOne board

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/allo-digione-board/18564

DigiOne Coaxial/BNC output for RPI

https://volumio.org/forum/digione-coaxial-bnc-output-for-rpi-t6219.html

HiFIBerry Digi+ Pro and Allo DigiOne Volumio special Version : Unofficial Portings

https://volumio.org/forum/hifiberry-digi-pro-and-allo-digione-volumio-special-version-t6849.html

10% off

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html

OM2x7ZQ.jpg

10 LDOs, 12 LPF, DC/DC convertors, galvanic isolator, WM8805, flip flops, buffers, NDK oscillators.

Those clocks could be accessed easily and we should know what to do about them.

3 hours ago, String said:

to

Yes but it's beginning with the Router!

So if it's not okay, well you have that problem with you all the way to your computer or other streaming devices!

You now the chains is never stronger than the weakest! Or?

Professional Musician And Studio Producer, Studio/Live Engineer for almost 40 years.

Of corse a HiFi/High-end Audiophile.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterOS_FAQ

https://ark.intel.com/products/76308/Intel-Core-i5-4300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

We could even install both RouterOS and Roon Server on Jetway NF542 since i5-4300U should be powerful enough

https://centralcomputers.com/p-554322-jetway-hbjc512f3dp-1900-b-fanless-embedded-4-x-10100-lan-with-poe-up-to-25w-per-port-2-x-intel-gbe-lproductproduct.aspx
https://centralcomputers.com/p-554321-jetway-hbjc38af542xa-4300u-b-fanless-embedded-with-intel-haswell-i5-class-vpro-soc-6-x-intel-gbe-lanproductproduct.aspx

http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/JBC38AF542AA.html

http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NF542.html

And then it's also fanless to boot, expandability should be unmatched for a relatively small size @ 110mm x 167mm.

• 1 SATA3 6Gb/s Cable-Free Connector
  • 1 Shared mSATA/mini-PCI Express Combo slot (full-size)
  • 1 Mini-PCI Express slot (full-size)
  • 1 PCI Express 2.0 x1 side-slots, Supports Jetway GEN3 Daughter Boards
  • 1 PCI Express 2.0 x4 side-slots, Supports Jetway GEN3 Daughter Boards

The only question is whether those PCIe slots are connected to the processor directly or going through PCH.

43 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I've taken the first step to creating an index to this thread,

Hi @austinpopmany thanks for doing this. This is one of the best threads out there but at 100+ pages it's very hard to find stuff. 

I think this and a few similar threads could do with some sort of "How To" guides. But an Index will definitely help.

I'm assuming that you are looking for more expert volunteers than myself but PM me if there's a relatively simple section I can help with.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

52 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I've taken the first step to creating an index to this thread

Maybe we should fork this thread if we're going to delve further into subjects like master clock input and Paul Hynes power supplies so that index maintenance doesn't continue to get more challenging.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just FYI to everyone - 

I've taken the first step to creating an index to this thread, which is to get edit access to the first thread. I've created a skeleton placeholder where the index will go. 

Thanks Austinpop for making this massive thread manageable. I will be keeping an eye on how this all unfolds.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Attention, propeller-heads! Mad science experiment alert!

.......the floor is open.

WOW!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Live stream!!!!!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

A couple clarifications.

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

HDPlex 100W LPS, supplying 2 x 12V rails

Eventually, this will be replaced by the Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL that Eric has on order. That will be another Ultra-polooza for sure.

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Here are some burning questions we want to answer:

? Hmm, hope that wasn't a Freudian slip? ?

32 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I am stoked. Barring any last-minute conflicts, @limniscate and I are getting together next week for an SOtM Ultra-vaganza! 

There are far more experiments and potentially interesting questions that we will be able address in a reasonable session time - although, we may decide on followup Ultra-vaganzae as warranted.

In the spirit of community, I wanted to open the floor and entertain any experiments you all might have high on your list, but we haven't covered below. I make absolutely no guarantees about whether we will be able to perform these experiments, due to time and other unforeseen constraints.

This is the aggregate BoM (bill of materials) we will have on hand:

• 1 x Zyxel switch (sCLK modded)
  • 1 x D-Link switch (sCLK modded)
  • 1 x sMS-200 (sCLK modded) 6-9V
  • 1 x sMS-200ultra 12V
  • 1 x tX-USBultra 6-9V
  • 1 x dX-USBultra 12V
  • 1 x Singxer SU-1 stock PSU
  • 4 x LPS-1 supplies
  • HDPlex 100W LPS, supplying 2 x 12V rails
  • Assorted dCBL-CAT7 and iSO-CAT6 cables and isolators
  • Hopefully, I'll be able to use my newfound DIY DC cable skills this weekend to whip up a Canare 4S6 serial cable, to connect 2 x LPS-1s in series to provide 12v.

Note that with this gear, we now have the ability to have up to 6, count 'em, 6 sCLK-EX reclockings in the chain. Do these many reclockings still provide an incremental boost in SQ? More on this below. The baseline chain we'll use is Eric's:

• Roon Core W10 bridged > D-Link modded switch > sMS-200ultra > (USB) > dX-USBultra > (AES) > Yggy DAC

Here are some burning questions we want to answer:

1. What is the improvement due to 2 x LPS-1 over HDPlex on both sMS-200ultra and dX-USBultra?
  2. Is sMS-200ultra 12V (fed by 2 x LPS-1) SQ better than modded sMS-200 6-9V (fed by LPS-1 7V)?
  3. Add a 5th reclocking in the chain:
    • D-Link modded switch > sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra > dX-USBultra
  4. Add a 6th reclocking in the chain:
    • Zyxel modded switch > D-Link modded switch > sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra > dX-USBultra
  5. Compare modded Zyxel and D-Link switches
  6. dX via AES to yggy vs. tX via USB to Yggy
  7. Singxer SU-1 vs dX-USBultra
  8. Effect of dCBL-CAT7 and iSO-CAT6. Too many experiments here to enumerate, but this may have to wait for the Ultra-vaganza redux.

The floor is open.

Crazy stuff! This is like 5-6k worth of reclocking equipment 

10 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Crazy stuff! This is like 5-6k worth of reclocking equipment 

Which only begs the question.  If reclocking is so important then why not reclock several times in the same component?  I suspect that its not so much about the actual clock itself (to a certain degree of quality, that being your DAC), but the quality of the power that clock receives.  Too bad you guys don't have an ISO Regen to throw into the mix.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I am stoked. Barring any last-minute conflicts, @limniscate and I are getting together next week for an SOtM Ultra-vaganza! 

Fantastic! Can't wait for the results posts. Great work guys and loads of fun too I'm sure. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Eric, Rajiv and Moussa I'm certainly looking forward to the results of your experiments.

I'm just wondering ... why does it make sense that multiple reclockings with the same quality clock is better than one?  I've read the input from @romaz that the modded switch significantly improves the sound quality vs using only the sMS-200ultra, but that switch mod also includes replacing the regulators and capacitors on the switch.

Wouldn't one top quality reclocking be better than multiple reclockings with something less good?

I'm not looking for a scientific explanation at this point, just something plausible.  Even without this, if it sounds better, it sounds better!  So carry on.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

32 minutes ago, mozes said:

@austinpopJust to let you know, I will be doing these tests next week when my VR will have arrived:

1- tX-USBultra vs. Iso-Regen

2- Nimitra>IR>tX>Brooklyn vs. Nimitra>tX>IR>Brooklyn

I think this way we will almost have all the answers that we want so far.

Awesome, @mozes! Really looking forward to your findings.

I am also expecting @Bamber's kind loaner IR/LPS1 when it ships - hopefully in mid-July.

15 minutes ago, rickca said:

Eric, Rajiv and Moussa I'm certainly looking forward to the results of your experiments.

I'm just wondering ... why does it make sense that multiple reclockings with the same quality clock is better than one? 

Wouldn't one top quality reclocking be better than multiple reclockings with something less good?

I'm not looking for a scientific explanation at this point, just something plausible.  Even without this, if it sounds better, it sounds better!  So carry on.

Some day soon, this will be better understood by the best minds in computer audio. Until then, we only have the empirical data to go on.