IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

For anyone on this thread that has modified the SU-1 to allow it to be powered by Uptone LPS-1, and you are willing to provide step by step details on how you did that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Blake! I am in the process of obtaining all the bits and pieces required to do this. I will let you know when I am ready.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Blake! I am in the process of obtaining all the bits and pieces required to do this. I will let you know when I am ready.

Excellent! I will follow your lead :)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Excellent! I will follow your lead :)

Should be easy. The hardest part was find the right connector that fit the one inside the SU-1. I imagine in the next week or so I will have the writeup.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I connected the SU-1 directly to my PC and used the ASIO and still am not getting anything. I'm wondering if my AES input on my Yggy is defective.

Have you tried the other outputs from the SU-1? What ASIO driver are you using?

Other components:

Should be easy. The hardest part was find the right connector that fit the one inside the SU-1. I imagine in the next week or so I will have the writeup.

Tim at Kitsune contacted me about possibly offering a kit (internal or external depending upon room) to upgrade the Singxer SU-1 with an UltraCap LPS-1. We are going to talk about it--and other things--this weekend. No promises, but it has been on my mind. Tim has had an LPS-1 himself for about about a month, though I don't know what all he has used it with.

By the way, Kitsune has a special going on the Holo Spring Level 3--through early February--before the price goes up. I think it's free shipping, $100 off, and a nice HDMI/I2S cable when bundled with an SU-1. Sounds like a great deal on a giant killing combo!

Tim at Kitsune contacted me about possibly offering a kit (internal or external depending upon room) to upgrade the Singxer SU-1 with an UltraCap LPS-1. We are going to talk about it--and other things--this weekend. No promises, but it has been on my mind. Tim has had an LPS-1 himself for about about a month, though I don't know what all he has used it with.

By the way, Kitsune has a special going on the Holo Spring Level 3--through early February--before the price goes up. I think it's free shipping, $100 off, and a nice HDMI/I2S cable when bundled with an SU-1. Sounds like a great deal on a giant killing combo!

I think this is going to be awesome, hope you guys can work out a plan on the upgrade kit, looking forward to use LPS-1 on the SU-1.

@Superdad please let me know if you need an SU-1 to experiment with. I will be happy to let you borrow mine.

Other components:

Tim at Kitsune contacted me about possibly offering a kit (internal or external depending upon room) to upgrade the Singxer SU-1 with an UltraCap LPS-1.

Would it be OK to power an SU-1 and a microRendu with one LPS-1, using a Y cable?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Would it be OK to power an SU-1 and a microRendu with one LPS-1, using a Y cable?

Hi Blake:

Current-wise the LPS-1 would likely handle them both just fine. But the SU-1 takes 5V, and while I have gotten my microRendu to run on 5V, John explained some technical reasons (aside from 5VBUS reg not having enough drop) why 6V or greater is really best for the mR.

Tim is probably going to be sending me an SU-1, and we'll check out its main board regulator range to see if it would mind the LPS-1 set at 7V. If that's the case then I'll test running the SU-1 and my microRendu off one UltraCap LPS-1.

Looking at the SU-1 case--though not yet having one here to measure space where the PS sits--it is obvious that a mod-kit for a different PS could either be for an internal or external location. Really the kit just needs to be a metal plate to cover the removed IEC inlet module (with screw holes to match), plus a DC jack mounted in the same plate.

If the PS is to be external, then just a wire pair soldered to the jack and running to the 2-pin header on the board is all that would be needed.

If an LPS-1 board was to mount inside (though I'm not sold on that for a few reasons--and its PCB might be too big anyway) then the back panel DC jack would be for our "energizing"/charging supply and inside it would run to the input of the LPS-1 board--with another cable running from its output jack to the SU-1's PCB.

So now you know all my preliminary thoughts on the topic. Tim and I will be speaking on Sunday about this and other things.

Goodnight,

--Alex C.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Still haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the Holo Spring? We're interested in your thoughts.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The new singxer ddc under testing now.But old version many in stock,so in the near future don't available.cool!!!!

What is difference about this new DDC than the SU-1?

Other components:

If you have creative itch and would like to improve default SU-1 power supply, here is how it could be done.

In order to make S…re Signature-like power supply you have to replace LM2940CT-5 regulator with Belleson Superpower regulator (Superpower SPZ Positive Superpower Regulator , 5v output and 78xx pin-assignment).

Next. There are 3pcs. 1000uFx25V and 1pc. 470uFx25V “no-name” electrolytic capacitors installed.

Unfortunately there is no much space inside, so you have two options:

- replace capacitors with the same size (and capacity);

- or install bigger capacitor (e.g. Jensen/Mundorf) outside power supply pcb (maximum diameter is ~35mm).

I followed first option and installed Nichicon FG Series capacitors 1000uFx16V, 470uFx16V. Film capacitors were changed as well (Wima MKS2 1uFx63V).

top view.jpg

Warning!!!! Heatsink is soldered to the ground. You MUST disconnect it from the ground by cutting PCB wires round its soldering points!!! Otherwise you will burn Belleson regulator!!

!heatsink.jpg

On the SU-1 main board there are 5pcs. "no-name" 220uFx25V capacitors. Don't like them? Replace with Nichicon FG 470uFx16V.

And if you are crazy enough, replace wires with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold 1mm :)

It is easy, because connector is not crimped, but soldered (at least in my case)

.overview.jpg

Disclaimer: Mentioned procedure for Solder-man Level 60 and above :)

Total BOM: ~65USD excluding shipping and Mundorf wires.

Well done! I knew I should have studied electrical engineering at university!!!

Other components:

If you have creative itch and would like to improve default SU-1 power supply, here is how it could be done.

In order to make S…re Signature-like power supply you have to replace LM2940CT-5 regulator with Belleson Superpower regulator (Superpower SPZ Positive Superpower Regulator , 5v output and 78xx pin-assignment).

Next. There are 3pcs. 1000uFx25V and 1pc. 470uFx25V “no-name” electrolytic capacitors installed.

Unfortunately there is no much space inside, so you have two options:

- replace capacitors with the same size (and capacity);

- or install bigger capacitor (e.g. Jensen/Mundorf) outside power supply pcb (maximum diameter is ~35mm).

I followed first option and installed Nichicon FG Series capacitors 1000uFx16V, 470uFx16V. Film capacitors were changed as well (Wima MKS2 1uFx63V).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32437[/ATTACH]

Warning!!!! Heatsink is soldered to the ground. You MUST disconnect it from the ground by cutting PCB wires round its soldering points!!! Otherwise you will burn Belleson regulator!!

![ATTACH=CONFIG]32435[/ATTACH]

On the SU-1 main board there are 5pcs. "no-name" 220uFx25V capacitors. Don't like them? Replace with Nichicon FG 470uFx16V.

And if you are crazy enough, replace wires with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold 1mm :)

It is easy, because connector is not crimped, but soldered (at least in my case)

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]32436[/ATTACH]

Disclaimer: Mentioned procedure for Solder-man Level 60 and above :)

Total BOM: ~65USD excluding shipping and Mundorf wires.

@paulinus - thanks for letting us know about the mods.

Most importantly - what was the impact of the mods? Thanks!

That's great news Alex! As I said before, I'll gladly be your first customer for such a kit :)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Just a question on the voltage reduction on the caps from 25V original to 16V... did you measure less than 16V on the rail?

Not your fault, a safety issue that occurs again and again.... See the earth wire from the power inlet that joins on the PCB? That should be screwed to the frame of the case first, then another earth cable bonded from the case to the point on the PCB. "Thou shalt not use an earth to a fixing point"

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@paulinus - thanks for letting us know about the mods.

Most importantly - what was the impact of the mods? Thanks!

How it was? Well...

check first 25 sec :) :)

To come to the right conclusion, you need to have two devices - with and without mod.

Unfortunately I have only one. It is definitely not worse. Plus satisfaction with modding process itself.

Just a question on the voltage reduction on the caps from 25V original to 16V... did you measure less than 16V on the rail?

Not your fault, a safety issue that occurs again and again.... See the earth wire from the power inlet that joins on the PCB? That should be screwed to the frame of the case first, then another earth cable bonded from the case to the point on the PCB. "Thou shalt not use an earth to a fixing point"

- Transformer output is 7V (basically it is 2x7V but connected in parallel);

- You are right. It is not right, but acceptable :)