IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

TB1Q3raHpXXXXciXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Ultracaps from China taobao ,made in US(really??)4.5rmb 2.7v 100Farad.In this picture:5.4V250Farad 65rmb.

Yes,many place now, inside the singxer.But the charging process not automatic this time.With external power easy to charge or change.Smaller ucap(5v 400Farad) can run 3hours,with bigger(600F),4hours and need charge again about 15 min.

I want automatic charge and switch between 2 Ultracap with time controlled relay.Not ordered yet....

TB2XGm1aFXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1056860171.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31166[/ATTACH]

Ultracaps from China taobao ,made in US(really??)4.5rmb 2.7v 100Farad.In this picture:5.4V250Farad 65rmb.

Yes,many place now, inside the singxer.But the charging process not automatic this time.With external power easy to charge or change.Smaller ucap(5v 400Farad) can run 3hours,with bigger(600F),4hours and need charge again about 15 min.

I want automatic charge and switch between 2 Ultracap with time controlled relay.

@hurka, that's very cool, thanks for sharing.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Its work

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31221[/ATTACH]

Very nice!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Works neverending,replaced smps charger,2pcs lt 1084 parallel,put one buffer cap output line because 2 relays have 0.1 sec pause.

Just little loud the relays,later i put in some chassis.

Sound Fantastic,dont know the Lt 3042 board+r core +isotransf. or this Supercap better.

Next target in singxer:xo s.I want trial dedicated independent power rails.

I tried putting ultracaps in taobao and got a lot of pills in return... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Adding capacitors is the key, this makes a PSU looking like a battery,

Does your Rcore + new regulator better than the original PSU ?

Unless the original one is crappy I don't plan to change it but only add capacitors.

Does anyone has the details I'm asking for in my above post ?

thx a lot

rgds

P

Let me first say I am not good at reviewing audio products. I dont focus on minute details nor do I have "golden ears". All I care about is if the music is enjoyable and pleasant to me. So hopefully I have properly lowered everyone's expectations here we go....

So I've had the SU-1 for exactly a week now. It replaced a MUTEC MC3+USB. I reason why I got rid of the MUTEC was because it does not support DSD (well it does but it converts up to DSD256 to PCM). My plan is to upgrade my DAC to one that can accept native DSD via I2S(not DoP) so getting the SU-1 was the first step towards this upgrade. I am using the SPDIF BNC output.

I would characterize the SU-1 as clear, crisp and dynamic. Strings, drum, etc sound very well defined and have just enough of an edge without sounding bright or too sharp. High and lows are presented with a lot of energy and detail I did not hear previously with the MUTEC. The overall sound is very very clear, open, airy. Notes just rise in the air and lingers in a pleasant way. In no way is the SU-1 bright though.

The midrange is where I am bit more conflicted. I will admit I am a bit of a closet/wannabe tube guy, though due to laziness I dont own any tube gear. I listen to mainly female vocals and acoustic music so I like a warm, intimate, organic environment. The MUTEC presented the midrange with more weight and texture (aside...maybe the texture I am hearing is graininess which the SU-1 definitely does not at all). There is more of a 3d effect with the MUTEC. Vocals seem to have shape and size. With the SU-1, vocals are definitely more flat and not as "warm". I wont go so far as to say mids are bleached out but compared to the MUTEC, the SU-1 presents mids in a different way. In my system, which already leans towards the warm and lush side, the SU-1 provides a good balance.

Overall, I am very pleased with the SU-1. The dynamics and energy of the SU-1 is very addictive. I was worried that perhaps I was falling in love with the BOSE effect but after a week, I havent experienced any listener fatigue. I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the presentation of the midrange though. However, i would say this comment is purely based on preference and not some shortcoming of the SU-1.

The build quality of the SU-1 is fantastic. Installing the driver was a breeze. Note that the included driver does not have settings for latency and buffer size which I am used to having.

Hope this proves useful to someone.

Thank you for thoughts, which was one of the views that led me to choose the SU-1 over the Mutec MC3+ USB, as well as the fact that the SU-1 does output I2S.

It is interesting to note how different the SU-1 sounds via its SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs.

Through the AES, the sound is a bit more "airy" and spacious but less defined, with perhaps a slightly smoother sound. Bass appears to go deeper and with more bloom but less impact.

Via SPDIF, the sound has more focus and is more detailed and resolved, with better definition, especially in the bass, with a slightly punchier mid-bass. The "wood" sound of string instruments is also clearer and more sustained, with string vibratos wood being more defined too. The "sheen" of bowed strings is more obvious without quite tipping to being strident. With the AES, the overtones/harmonics are slightly diminished.

Given that AES/EBU is supposed to be the better option, I was quite surprised at this finding, but I suppose it is all system dependent. Digital cables used were the DH Labs D-750 and D-110.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived two days ago, the 4.5V Booster Ultra is installed between internal power supply and Singer main board. Less edgy, more clean and organic sound. This is a very simple one box solution for who don’t want to go for a two box and in my opinion a must for any SU-1 owner.

DSCF6019.JPG

DSCF6024.JPG

Merry Christmas

Giuseppe

Arrived two days ago, the 4.5V Booster Ultra is installed between internal power supply and Singer main board. Less edgy, more clean and organic sound. This is a very simple one box solution for who don’t want to go for a two box and in my opinion a must for any SU-1 owner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31802[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31803[/ATTACH]

Merry Christmas

Giuseppe

Could you provide the link where I can buy the 4.5V Booster Ultra? Tks

Giuseppe

I am not sure what you did here. Did you buy the Sbooster Ultra then removed it's internals and installed it inside the SU-1?

Is this what you bought? https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-ultra/

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes, that's what I did.

but the Sbooster is a special version (4.5V) made specifically for the Singxer.

I have installed the board between the internal power supply and the singxer SU1 main board.

In the picture you can see the original cable cut. One pair of cable from the power supply to the Ultra 4.5V then output from ultra to the main board.

DSCF6021.jpg

Yes, that's what I did.

but the Sbooster is a special version (4.5V) made specifically for the Singxer.

I have installed the board between the internal power supply and the singxer SU1 main board.

In the picture you can see the original cable cut. One pair of cable from the power supply to the Ultra 4.5V then output from ultra to the main board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31820[/ATTACH]

Thank you. So why 4.5v versus 5v? I assume I need to contact sbooster and ask for this special version?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments