IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Thanks so much...I'll wait to hear.  I'm such an idiot, thinking these things are stronger than they are. 

Ted, you may not be alone.  My SU-1 may be next since I've been fooling around with it so much lately...

Perhaps this should be taken as a heads-up for users of hard USB adapters.  These things do tend to pass more physical stress to the USB receptacles on the device side, due to lack of flexibility.

On 1/6/2017 at 2:34 AM, sircharles said:

I went "all out" and purchased from Sound Affairs" the Elementa cable with the connector already attached and their PLiXir Balanced DC power supply and I can't put into words the transformation!

Without a doubt any power upgrade to the SU-1 yields incredible results. I could never go back to the stock power supply.

Transaction was flawless and James Soh was always very accessible via email.

For more info:- Here is the link

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-su-1-with-plixir-elite-bdc-modification

Hi All,

As someone not very technical whose never used a soldering iron in their life I'm quite intrigued by this upgrade kit.

@sircharles - how are you getting on with yours and do you still reccomend it?

Anyone else tried this kit?

All - Any thoughts on how this is likely to compare to the other mods being discussed like the LPS-1 mod?

I'm fairly keen to explore better power for my SU-1 but think I might need to find a firm that offers the services as me taking screwdriver, plyers and soldering iron to a lovely item like the SU-1 spells disaster all over it!! 

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi All,

As someone not very technical whose never used a soldering iron in their life I'm quite intrigued by this upgrade kit.

All - Any thoughts on how this is likely to compare to the other mods being discussed like the LPS-1 mod?

I'm fairly keen to explore better power for my SU-1 but think I might need to find a firm that offers the services as me taking screwdriver, plyers and soldering iron to a lovely item like the SU-1 spells disaster all over it!! 

Many Thanks,

Alan

Here is the same kit installed on a SU-1 for sale on US Audio Mart.  

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649344857-singxer-su1-with-modified-power-supply/

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
1 hour ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

Here is the same kit installed on a SU-1 for sale on US Audio Mart.  

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649344857-singxer-su1-with-modified-power-supply/

Thanks @Evo-No-Revo,

I've already got an SU-1 though and it's only a couple weeks old. I'm also in the UK so buying from the US might be tricky. I wasn't sure if that upgrade kit was something they would ship to the UK but hoped for some feedback before I looked into that.

At the risk of going very off topic (sorry folks) how are you getting on with that Pink Faun Streamer? Would you recommend it?

I know it's off topic for this thread but my entire interest in the SU-1 is the I2S output and I've been taking a look at the Pink Faun stuff for the same. I saw your other post about the computer builder saying an LPS wasn't needed and then you ended up going for the Pink Faun. Perhaps update that thread if it' feels too much like derailing this one...

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Still waiting on delivery.  We have a couple more final decisions to make and I need to make a final payment.  Very soon though....

Here is a thread I started for the Pink Faun setup.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31542-my-pink-faun-streamer-212-dual-pc-build/

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
11 minutes ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

Still waiting on delivery.  We have a couple more final decisions to make and I need to make a final payment.  Very soon though....

Here is a thread I started for the Pink Faun setup.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31542-my-pink-faun-streamer-212-dual-pc-build/

Great thanks - I'll keep an eye on that one then. 

Hope it's worth the wait for you. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

18 hours ago, ted_b said:

Thanks so much...I'll wait to hear.  I'm such an idiot, thinking these things are stronger than they are. 

Man Ted, what a drag!!  At least you let us all know to be more careful with that bus. ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Ted, I am sorry to see that happen to your device.

This is what you need:

Image result for USB TYPE B input PCB connector

Removing the existing one from the device like @scan80269 says would be harder than putting a new one on since to pull it out, they must all be unsoldered. It would be easier to do if say there was only two soldered joints. One could simply just eat one side and eventually wiggle it out. This however not only has solder joints per side holding the shell down, but four leads at the center back for data+, data-, power+, and power -.

One could force break the entire connector from up top thus leaving independent metal pieces to be heated and pulled out, or using a heat gun set to around 500-750F and hold it against the fiberglass body from the bottom where the solder holds the connector. Once melted, quickly pull the connector up and out. The holes with leftover solder will then be heated and removed with a solder sucker in preparation for the new connector.

I can do this but it will probably take me a good amount of time if the heat gun method doesn't work. Even then, if there are other mini SMD components underneath this connector, heating would not be recommended because if solder can melt on this, so can it for other surface mount devices and thus be blown away.

Options:

1. Heat method if no other SMD's are present within the area

2. Force break the connector from above using a dremel + cutoff disc until each metal piece appears separated so that it can be heated with a soldering iron to be pulled out.

Cheers,

Tim

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
On 26.4.2017 at 3:54 AM, scan80269 said:

I used hot tweezers (Metcal Talon) to remove the surface mount LD1086 regulator from the SU-1 board, then soldered a Belleson SPZ-78 (+3.3V) super regulator onto the LD1086 footprint, after bending the 3 leads of the Belleson a bit to align.  See pic posted by Energy above.  No other related component needed to be touched, though since the circuit now has several capacitor types and values wired in parallel at the regulator output side (including a cap on the super regulator itself), I may experiment with removing the electrolytic and the SMD ceramic caps from the board.

So the LD1086 in the SU-1 is a fixed type, not adjustable? Because no resistors need to be removed.

Say NO to ROON

On 4/25/2017 at 5:13 PM, elan120 said:

I also like the improvement after replacing LD1086, but I used Belleson SPM17 and placed the regulator the same orientation as the original LD1086 (parallel with the two caps).  The first step I did was change over to LPS-1, that was a great step up, and later replaced the LD1086, and that improved the SQ even more, so concur with finding from @scan80269.  

I am now curious if other regulators such as Sparko will provide further improvement.

The Belleson SPM17 is only rated 225mA. The replaced LD1086 is rated with a max current handling of 1500mA (1.5A).

i recommend you switch to Belleson SPZ78 OR Sparkos Labs SS78XX in Positive Output +3.3V unless you want to keep bottlenecking those microchips. 

The Belleson is rated at 3A.

the Sparkos is rated at 1A.

I am doubtful that the SU-1's intergrated circuit draws more than 1A from the 3.3V voltage regulator however it seems likely to be more than 225mA.

I've asked Andrew from Sparkos to see if he can increase the max handling to 1.5A so will let you knows know, but first I have to measure and see how much current the LD1086 is taking up.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
5 minutes ago, Energy said:

The Belleson SPM17 is only rated 225mA. The replaced LD1086 is rated with a max current handling of 1500mA (1.5A).

i recommend you switch to Belleson SPZ78 OR Sparkos Labs SS78XX in Positive Output +3.3V unless you want to keep bottlenecking those IC's.

With actual consumption of around 110mA, do you think SPM17 will still have issue handling?  I am not certain how much headroom is required to avoid bottlenecking downstream IC's.

4 minutes ago, elan120 said:

With actual consumption of around 110mA, do you think SPM17 will still have issue handling?  I am not certain how much headroom is required to avoid bottlenecking downstream IC's.

Did you measure only 110mA as constant current?

I'm about to do it now and let you know.

=  ︿  = 

Is anyone willing to replace the voltage regulator for me if I pay them for their trouble? Pretty please?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 minute ago, tboooe said:

Is anyone willing to replace the voltage regulator for me if I pay them for their trouble? Pretty please?

I'll do it for you if you try to memorize the sound now and tell me if it made any differences afterwards. :P

=  ︿  = 
Just now, Energy said:

I'll do it for you if you try to memorize the sound now and tell me if it made any differences afterwards. :P

Well if you send you my board you can use it and compare it to your modified board.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, Energy said:

Did you measure only 110mA as constant current?

I'm about to do it now and let you know.

Yes, consumption measured from LPS-1 to SU-1 - just a little over 110mA.  Been running 24hr/day for the last 12 days and the regulator is just barely warm.

Would be great to see your measurement to have a confirmation.

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Well if you send you my board you can use it and compare it to your modified board.

That would actually be the better method.

Feel free to message me on Computer Audiophile or Head-Fi. ^_^

I would also recommend changing out the stock Panasonic FC to FR for lower impedance/ESR/resistance. Seems like those work better with the discrete voltage regulator and or other components. I can buy some extras during my purchase to help you with yours.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Yes, consumption measured from LPS-1 to SU-1 - just a little over 110mA.  Been running 24hr/day for the last 12 days and the regulator is just barely warm.

Would be great to see your measurement to have a confirmation.

I actually measured 1.53A at the LD1086's Output and 1.64A at it's input which is coming from the LM2940CT-5's stock linear power supply's 5V voltage regulator. So the chip itself uses 110mA.

I would recommend you change the Belleson SPM17 with Belleson SPZ78 in Positive Output +3.3V. The Belleson SPZ handles up to 3A. At 1.5A it is barely warm to the touch and does not require any heatsink.

Cheers,

Tim

=  ︿  = 

I take that back. You should be fine with running the SPM17.

They only take 110-120mA.

=  ︿  = 
34 minutes ago, Energy said:

I take that back. You should be fine with running the SPM17.

They only take 110-120mA.

Thank you, Tim for the confirmation.  I would recommend either going with what I used SPM17 or if you prefer the higher current regulator then SPZ17 since they are a little easier to work with...I bent left and right legs forward, and the center leg back and they are perfectly aligned with the 3 pads.

As far as the caps, I also replaced the 5 caps, but they are Nichicon KA series instead, since that is what I have on hand.

I am not sure how well Sparko regulator will work in this setup.  According to their spec., although ripple rejection is rated at -125db vs. -110db for Belleson, but typical dropout voltage is rated at 1.85V.  With input from LPS-1 at 5V, I am not sure if this setup is optimum.  However, since either SPM17 or SPZ17 has a dropout voltage rated at <1V, it should do a fine job regulating the needed 3.3V, and I think I will stay with what I have done already, and wait for my ISO Regen shipment, or if I got some time in between, I might go try a LT3045...9_9

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Thank you, Tim for the confirmation.  I would recommend either going with what I used SPM17 or if you prefer the higher current regulator then SPZ17 since they are a little easier to work with...I bent left and right legs forward, and the center leg back and they are perfectly aligned with the 3 pads.

As far as the caps, I also replaced the 5 caps, but they are Nichicon KA series instead, since that is what I have on hand.

I am not sure how well Sparko regulator will work in this setup.  According to their spec., although ripple rejection is rated at -125db vs. -110db for Belleson, but typical dropout voltage is rated at 1.85V.  With input from LPS-1 at 5V, I am not sure if this setup is optimum.  However, since either SPM17 or SPZ17 has a dropout voltage rated at <1V, it should do a fine job regulating the needed 3.3V, and I think I will stay with what I have done already, and wait for my ISO Regen shipment, or if I got some time in between, I might go try a LT3045...9_9

The Sparkos Labs regulator will most likely work.  Its dropout voltage does not reach 1.7V until the load current reaches 600mA, and I'm pretty sure the SU-1 downstream side circuitry consumes nowhere near 600mA, so the risk of +5V input not meeting the dropout requirement of the Sparkos thus causing the output to fall out of regulation (below 3.3V) should be low or non-existent.

3 hours ago, scan80269 said:

The Sparkos Labs regulator will most likely work.  Its dropout voltage does not reach 1.7V until the load current reaches 600mA, and I'm pretty sure the SU-1 downstream side circuitry consumes nowhere near 600mA, so the risk of +5V input not meeting the dropout requirement of the Sparkos thus causing the output to fall out of regulation (below 3.3V) should be low or non-existent.

Thank you, scan80269 for further inputs on Sparkos dropout voltage.  I have not used them in the past, but after looking at their dropout voltage chart, I agree it should work just fine since at around 110mA, their chart show a dropout voltage at around 1.45V, which should regulate the required 3.3V without any issue.

7 hours ago, Energy said:

That would actually be the better method.

Feel free to message me on Computer Audiophile or Head-Fi. ^_^

Cheers,

Tim

PM sent!  Thank you.

Other components:

On 4/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, BigAlMc said:

Hi All,

Many Thanks,

Alan

Bump

Any feedback on whether the mysoundaffairs upgrade kit is a worthwhile investment for better SQ?

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-su-1-with-plixir-elite-bdc-modification

Many Thanks,

Alan