IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

I just received a Singxer SU-1. Looking at this box along with my UpTone LPS-1, it's quite obvious the LPS-1 circuit board is too wide to fit co-planar with the SU-1 board inside the chassis. Along with the fact that the SU-1 was not designed to accommodate the elevated power dissipation of an LPS-1 (compared to the internal LPS), I agree with Alex that mounting LPS-1 guts inside the SU-1 chassis is not the best option.

Alex's concept of replacing the IEC AC receptacle with a 5.5mm DC input jack to accept +5V DC is excellent, and enables different external LPS options to be paired with the SU-1. Such a mod may well serve to demo the superiority of LPS-1 over non-isolated LPS designs as the DC power source for SU-1.

....or Tim offers a possible cheaper SU-1 with only the DC input jack [emoji3]

Thanks for sharing anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Quite the contrary. Looks like Tim is considering a tuned version of the SU-1 similar to the Spring dac for more money!.

https://kitsunehifi.com/kte-kitsune-tuned-edition-singxer-su-1-tuned-psu-amongst-other-options-as-a-package-deal/

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Quite the contrary. Looks like Tim is considering a tuned version of the SU-1 similar to the Spring dac for more money!.

https://kitsunehifi.com/kte-kitsune-tuned-edition-singxer-su-1-tuned-psu-amongst-other-options-as-a-package-deal/

Well, at least he understands the value of good power [emoji3]

I'll wait and see if maybe John develop something.

Although he said it would be expensive ......

(In the thread Jesus deleted)

I think he and Superdad is developing something, but I have no idea what. Just have to be patient.

It can be an audiophile switch, a network to AES/EBU, or something totally different.

That's a nice LPS option, but I agree with R1200CL in that the SU-1 should benefit from being powered by an isolating power supply like the UpTone LPS-1.

I'm currently evaluating a playback chain consisting of:

Aries Femto > Intona Isolator > Singxer SU-1 > Holo Audio Spring DAC > Jensen PI-2XX > Taurus MkII headphone amp > Sennheiser HD 800 balanced, with the Spring DAC in NOS mode

I like very much what I'm hearing (even before extensive burn-in). I've got a Vinnie Rossi MINI LPS powering the Aries Femto, so I'm just missing the SU-1 being powered by a LPS-1, from the isolation perspective.

Hi Gents:

Just a quick update. Tim Connor (Kitsune) and I finally connected on the phone this past week (when I noticed he ordered a second UltraCap LPS-1).

We agreed to trade an SU-1 for the cost of the LPS-1 he ordered. So I will have one to play with myself (should be a very nice upgrade for the HOLO Spring Level 3 I bought in December--mainly because the I2S override the Spring's cheap audio clocks and use the nice Crystek 575s of the SU-1).

But as far as UpTone offering a kit to modify the SU-1 for external DC connection: I am reluctant because we are really busy with other things. But I will either do it or put Tim in touch with a CNC house and anodizer for the simple IEC inlet cover plate with hole.

Because as is apparent to all, the actual mod itself is super simple. If we were to offer a kit, the bill of materials would be as follows:

1) Machined or stamped aluminum plate, black anodized; with 2 screw holes matching the stock IEC inlet's mounting holes, and one hole in the center for a DC jack; Nuts and bolts to attach the plate to the back panel after the AC inlet module is removed.

2) 5.5mm x 2.1mm panel mount Switchcraft or CUI DC barrel jack.

3) A pre-terminated, twisted-pair of wires with the 3.96mm pitch terminals and housing; here's one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C4HH7046 , though I don't know the wire gauge--would like it to be at least 18awg, preferably 16awg. (I own the specialized, expensive crimp tool for those terminals, but it is such a pain to do a lot of those by hand--and big wire makes it even harder.)

So as you can see, it would be a silly-simple kit. I don't know how many would sell and I'd be embarrassed to charge much for it.

Thinking more about the back panel fill plate for the IEC module (truly the only custom part), it would be cleaner looking to mount it on the inside (as opposed to the thick plate that other firm mounts to the outside). In which case anyone could take some scrap aluminum (or even plastic or an old CD!), a hacksaw, and a drill. And in 15 minutes have a lovely, sturdy plate with 3 holes. Order the above-linked pre terminated cable and a jack like this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mpd-memory-protection-devices/EJ501A/EJ501A-ND/2439531

Warm up a soldering iron and be done in less than 1/2 hour. Just be sure to triple-check the polarity of the wire pair! I'd use a meter on the old supply to be sure the red wire is positive; and also on the new wire harness.

Have fun!

--Alex C.

Will Singxer combo with Holo DAC sound better than just USB and USB Regen?

Will Singxer combo with Holo DAC sound better than just USB and USB Regen?

I expect so--most especially if one uses the I2S output of the Singxer SU-1 into the IS2 input of the HOLO Spring.

While I personally am not a big fan of external interfaces (USB>S/PDIF-out>S/PDIF-in is a major compromise that just admits that a DAC does not have a decent USB>I2S input board), the use of the SU-1>Spring via I2S overrides the Spring's really mediocre audio master clocks to use the excellent Crystek CCHD-575 ultra-low-phase-noise clocks of the SU-1.

Of course the Singxer SU-1's USB input will still benefit from the improved USB signal integrity and impedance match afforded by a REGEN (or some similar)... :)

Hey All,

I've been meaning to post for a while now. I've been using an Uptone LPS-1 for the last couple of months on the Singxer SU-1 to the Holo Spring I2s input.

Typically I'm upscaling both DSD & PCM to DSD256 from HQPlayer running on a Phasure MACHII linear power supplied PC. (It is my normal front end for XXHighEnd to a Phasure NOS1a.) (BTW the built-in linear power supply in MACH II absolutely killed the HD Plex 400w ATX linear power supply running the same MB and configuration on another PC)

I did have to swap out the Xeon 2650 v4 12 core 2.2Gz on the Mach II for an i7-6800k 6 core 3.6Gz to be able to upscale to DSD 512. FYI, I also run W10 and HQPlayer from a ram disc and the PC has no graphics card. It is controlled from a directly networked remote PC where the music files also reside. I also use a New ClassD Neutron Star Clocked USB3 PCI-E card running through an Itona Industrial USB Isolator to the SU-1.

The Holo Spring directly drives a Single-Ended Triode NOS amplifier connected to a custom BD Orphean 115db Horn system with 3-15" and 8-12" per side in open baffle configuration, crossed over from the horns at 270Hz and eq'd with a Mini DSP feeding 4-NCore 400 based amps. (I mention the equipment because it is extremely resolving and very easy to detect minute system changes.)

So here is my brief observation. The LPS-1 made a very obvious difference over the standard linear power supplied SU-1. Darker background, less overhang, better width and depth of image, just sweeter and more realistic in general. But, it is a tight race between it and DSD512 run directly to the Holo Spring USB input. I would say I slightly prefer DSD 256 through the SU-1 with just a tinge more delineation between the instruments and vocalists and maybe a little purer sounding. No way I would bet my life on it though.

I am confident that if there were a DSD 512 driver for the SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) it would be the clear winner.

Happy experimenting everyone!!

Todd

The Holo Spring directly drives a Single-Ended Triode NOS amplifier connected to a custom BD Orphean 115db Horn system with 3-15" and 8-12" per side in open baffle configuration, crossed over from the horns at 270Hz and eq'd with a Mini DSP feeding 4-NCore 400 based amps. (I mention the equipment because it is extremely resolving and very easy to detect minute system changes.)

Hi Todd:

Thanks for the kind words with regards to the UtraCap LPS-1 powering your SU-1. But I really would like to see a photo of your monster system! What size is your room if your speakers have a total of 22 large woofers? ;)

Hey Superdad,

The LPS-1 comments are quite warranted.

It is a good sized basement listening room, about 20' x 34', but the speakers aren't as large as you might think.

The 8-12" per side are scavenged from my Audio Artistry Beethoven Grandes. So they are in a "w-shaped" folded baffle about 19"w x 55"h x 22"d, fairly compact. They cover 80hz down & require very little excursion for quite a bit of output and they lower the excursion of the 3-15" mid-bass by limiting them to 80-270hz. The rest of the system would be way to loud to ever tax the 16-12's to their excursion limits.

The Orphean Horns & 3-15" per side are configured as a copy of the BD Labs Orelo Mk II.(They need quite a bit of finish work yet, so I'd be a bit embarrassed to post pictures of raw MDF and unpainted white plastic horns:) The Beethoven woofers are finished in a beautiful natural Brazilian Rosewood, so I'm planning on laminating the "wings" of the Orelo copies in matching Rosewood and I might go crazy and paint the horns in Ferrari Rosa Corsa if I don't wimp out and go with gloss black;)

It really sounds wonderful but it certainly is no "looker"!

Has anyone tried the IFI Ipower jobbie on the Singxer? Only $50 and is suppose to have lower noise than most anything....1uv. You could hardwire its power cable right to the Singxer board bypassing the entire stock power supply. They also make a DC purifier that could be added after the Ipower.....again could be hardwired.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the IFI Ipower jobbie on the Singxer? Only $50 and is suppose to have lower noise than most anything....1uv. You could hardwire its power cable right to the Singxer board bypassing the entire stock power supply. They also make a DC purifier that could be added after the Ipower.....again could be hardwired.

And how much crap does the iPower put in the AC mains?

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Bybee Music Rails.. I had those installed in my Tascam DA-3K ADDA and in real world before and after testing, I see about a 20-30db in noise reduction. From the low to mid 80's to 110db+ after installation. I had Chris from Busman Audio do the mods. Here is everything he did to it.

Tascam DA3000 modifications:

* Full op amp replacement using high speed low noise amps.

* Replace input Capacitors with Rubycon and Elna.

* Bybee music rails installed for both positive and negative rails supplying the analog stage circuit boards.

I use it not only to record hi res music, but as my main DAC. I think it sounds great. I Just ordered a SU-1 from Kitsune and that will be used to send music directly to my Tascam from my P.C. instead of memory cards (except for DSD) I'm thinking of trying out the Bybee Rails on the stock power supply first.

If that works, then I'd also try adding a Audio Magic Pulse Gen. I have one going into my "Mother of all Sunfire Vacuum Tube Pre Amp Upgrade" Quest being preformed by the Wizard himself, Joeseph Chow of Audio Horizons fame.

Any thoughts?

I think that's the 1st time I've ever read that Class D switching amps have been described as "extremely resolving" Considering Bob Carver tried for years and gave up designing a Class D amp because he couldn't get the noise out of them. And that's coming from The Godfather of inventive power supply (mag field / tracking down converter )

Something doesn't jive....

On 1/8/2017 at 0:04 AM, Superdad said:

Hi Blake:

Current-wise the LPS-1 would likely handle them both just fine. But the SU-1 takes 5V, and while I have gotten my microRendu to run on 5V, John explained some technical reasons (aside from 5VBUS reg not having enough drop) why 6V or greater is really best for the mR.

Tim is probably going to be sending me an SU-1, and we'll check out its main board regulator range to see if it would mind the LPS-1 set at 7V. If that's the case then I'll test running the SU-1 and my microRendu off one UltraCap LPS-1.

Looking at the SU-1 case--though not yet having one here to measure space where the PS sits--it is obvious that a mod-kit for a different PS could either be for an internal or external location. Really the kit just needs to be a metal plate to cover the removed IEC inlet module (with screw holes to match), plus a DC jack mounted in the same plate.

If the PS is to be external, then just a wire pair soldered to the jack and running to the 2-pin header on the board is all that would be needed.

If an LPS-1 board was to mount inside (though I'm not sold on that for a few reasons--and its PCB might be too big anyway) then the back panel DC jack would be for our "energizing"/charging supply and inside it would run to the input of the LPS-1 board--with another cable running from its output jack to the SU-1's PCB.

So now you know all my preliminary thoughts on the topic. Tim and I will be speaking on Sunday about this and other things.

Goodnight,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex, I just did some probing around in my Singxer SU-1, and may have an answer to the question of whether the SU-1 can be powered by an LPS-1 set to 7V.

The ICs on the downstream side of the moat (including the Xilinx) are powered by +3.3V generated by an onboard LD1086 regulator, except for one component: a small 5-pin part sitting behind the MCLK/WCK BNC connector.  This part receives +5V coming in directly from the internal LPS.  Without the ability to identify this part it is impossible for me to determine whether it is OK to run 7V into this part.

BTW, since the majority of the logic is running on +3.3V, I plan to replace that LD1086 regulator with a Belleson SuperRegulator.  I'll also replace the five 220uF electrolytics.  Once I get this SU-1 wired up to connect to an LPS-1, it should do very well.

1 hour ago, scan80269 said:

BTW, since the majority of the logic is running on +3.3V, I plan to replace that LD1086 regulator with a Belleson SuperRegulator.  I'll also replace the five 220uF electrolytics.  Once I get this SU-1 wired up to connect to an LPS-1, it should do very well.

Dang I wish I had your skillz.  I knew I should have studied electrical engineering in school instead of mechanical!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

3 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Dang I wish I had your skillz.  I knew I should have studied electrical engineering in school instead of mechanical!

My EE degree has nothing to do with my soldering skills.  I learned to solder by myself before high school.  :)

The LD1086 regulator inside SU-1 is surface mount type (SOT-252-3 I believe) so removing it will take some effort, as the top side copper plane the part is soldered onto will soak up a lot of heat from the iron.  I also need to figure out how the through-hole Belleson gets soldered.  I'll probably have the Belleson stand vertically with its legs spread apart to reach the SMT pads on the PCB.

I have received most of the parts I ordered for modding my SU-1, and may start work as soon as tomorrow.  As indicated previously I plan to replace the electrolytic caps and the LD1086 regulator generating 3.3V with a Belleson Superpower regulator.  A colleague is making me an aluminum plate with a hole to accommodate a 5.5/2.1 DC power jack, so the internal linear power supply will eventually be replaced by an UpTone LPS-1 power supply feeding in 5V.  Knowing a few people have already done this, I can't wait to complete this mod as well.

6 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

I have received most of the parts I ordered for modding my SU-1, and may start work as soon as tomorrow.  As indicated previously I plan to replace the electrolytic caps and the LD1086 regulator generating 3.3V with a Belleson Superpower regulator.  A colleague is making me an aluminum plate with a hole to accommodate a 5.5/2.1 DC power jack, so the internal linear power supply will eventually be replaced by an UpTone LPS-1 power supply feeding in 5V.  Knowing a few people have already done this, I can't wait to complete this mod as well.

I am running my SU-1 off a battery for now. I  just received my 2.1mm socket and a black acrylic sheet to cover the AC power space.  I am also using the battery to supply 5V for the USB input as well.  Overall Iike the improvement and will be ordering an LPS-1 tomorrow.  

Hey wanna mod my SU-1 as well?  I'll pay you!  (just kidding, sort of!)

Other components:

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I am running my SU-1 off a battery for now. I  just received my 2.1mm socket and a black acrylic sheet to cover the AC power space.  I am also using the battery to supply 5V for the USB input as well.  Overall Iike the improvement and will be ordering an LPS-1 tomorrow.  

Hey wanna mod my SU-1 as well?  I'll pay you!  (just kidding, sort of!)

You may want to wait till I can confirm success with my SU-1 first.  I have never replaced a surface mount LDO regulator with a through-hole one, so there is some risk this mod may be deadly to my SU-1.  I'll need a bit of luck and a lot of care to pull this off.

Should I be successful, I wouldn't mind performing the same mod for you.  Shipping just the SU-1 circuit board should be much cheaper than shipping the whole unit.  Of course your product warranty would become void with such a mod!

I would also welcome the opportunity to do a sonic shootout between modded and stock SU-1.  Since the mods are not reversible, the modded unit needs to be directly compared to a stock unit to assess the SQ benefits (if any).

12 hours ago, scan80269 said:

You may want to wait till I can confirm success with my SU-1 first.  I have never replaced a surface mount LDO regulator with a through-hole one, so there is some risk this mod may be deadly to my SU-1.  I'll need a bit of luck and a lot of care to pull this off.

Should I be successful, I wouldn't mind performing the same mod for you.  Shipping just the SU-1 circuit board should be much cheaper than shipping the whole unit.  Of course your product warranty would become void with such a mod!

I would also welcome the opportunity to do a sonic shootout between modded and stock SU-1.  Since the mods are not reversible, the modded unit needs to be directly compared to a stock unit to assess the SQ benefits (if any).

Awesome thank you!  Let me know if you need any help from me. I could always send you my circuit board for the shootout and if there is an improvement you can just keep it and do the mods.  

Other components:

13 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Scan, I'm not sure where you are, but if US then I could send you my stock one to compare with.  Shoot a PM if needed.

14 hours ago, ted_b said:

Scan, I'm not sure where you are, but if US then I could send you my stock one to compare with.  Shoot a PM if needed.

Thanks for the generous offer, Ted!  I think I'd better wait till I determine whether I end up with a modded or dead SU-1 before taking you up on your offer.

Keeping my fingers crossed as I take my SU-1 into the operating room...

I'm located in Cupertino, California, BTW.

3 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Thanks for the generous offer, Ted!  I think I'd better wait till I determine whether I end up with a modded or dead SU-1 before taking you up on your offer.

Keeping my fingers crossed as I take my SU-1 into the operating room...

I'm located in Cupertino, California, BTW.

Success for operation phase 1!  Replacement electrolytic caps and Belleson Superpower regulator are in place.

Waiting for some mechanical parts to arrive for phase 2.

Singxer_SU-1_Mod_Phase_1.jpg