IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.?

I like a bit of BBC dip as well!..........back in the day before the foam rotted away, my Rogers were my favorite monitors.

The graph you posted is the individual drivers measured outside of filters and shown on the same scale for comparison. That nasty breakup is what a 15" woofer should sound like above 1.5khz as depicted in the red trace. It's also important when looking at some graphs to take note of the scale and smoothing. Many reviewers AND manufacturers use that to their advantage when trying to get their point across...... or not! Lol. I think they meant to confirm system efficiency with that one?..lol

But in all seriousness, the M2 system is really pricey and IMO audio is one of the BEST examples of diminishing returns and one of the WORST offenders of form over function.

Take a pair of Maggie 1.7's for an example coupled with a SS run of the mill 200wpc amplifier........man, that performance is VERY hard to eclipse at that cost. It checks quite a few boxes with ultra light ribbon membranes for near perfect transient response, no enclosure so no resonances and dipolar bass which interacts less with the room for reduced propagation of modes and nulls.........but they are VERY power hungry and unforgiving of amplifier clipping to the point of instantaneous destruction so........another example of your trade offs!

I don't doubt of JBL/Harman's ability to design very high performance full range speakers but considering the available information I am not convinced that the M2s are those speakers.

Much enjoyed debating this topic with you!

Same here.

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Avantgarde Acoustic DUO xD

[ATTACH]31067[/ATTACH]

Not even close to their best speakers...but the only one I've heard IRL...and I still have wet dreams about them! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Their speakers are superb. I think every demo I ever heard of any of their models was fantastic but one that stands out was a surround sound set up utilizing the Duos for 5 channels with BAT tube amps all around and a 150" screen with a gorgeous Runco projector playing music videos from various sources and with varying examples of surround sound from simple two channel stereo to full surround 5.2. Simply awesome.

Maybe I should not say this. But I've never heard Avantgarde Acoustic speakers sound good. Maybe they have improved the last few year. I really hope so.

[br]

Maybe I should not say this. But I've never heard Avantgarde Acoustic speakers sound good. Maybe they have improved the last few year. I really hope so.

Well, sound preferences are very subjective! Horns may just no be "your thing". I listened to them about a year ago powered by Leben CS-1000P...and to these ears it sounded awesome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

🎛️  Audio System  

Well, sound preferences are very subjective! Horns may just no be "your thing". I listened to them about a year ago powered by Leben CS-1000P...and to these ears it sounded awesome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My main problem was the IMHO bad integration of the sub with the horns. As far as I can remember the horns sounded okay but the woofer just went bonk bonk bonk. They and they Klipsch horn speakers were my first experience with horns. So I decided I did not like horns. That was until I heard Blumenhofer.

The same experience I've had with some PCM speakers. Where the lower end did not seem to integrate that well. Almost like there was a time delay between mids en low. The bigger more expensive PCM's sound better.

I wish I could afford the Blumenhofer FS2. So far Blumenhofer are they only horns I like. I am curious to hear the Tannoy Prestige line.

I have the same problem with MBL although they have improved.

[br]

My main problem was the IMHO bad integration of the sub with the horns. As far as I can remember the horns sounded okay but the woofer just went bonk bonk bonk. They and they Klipsch horn speakers were my first experience with horns. So I decided I did not like horns. That was until I heard Blumenhofer.

The same experience I've had with some PCM speakers. Where the lower end did not seem to integrate that well. Almost like there was a time delay between mids en low. The bigger more expensive PCM's sound better.

I wish I could afford the Blumenhofer FS2. So far Blumenhofer are they only horns I like. I am curious to hear the Tannoy Prestige line.

I have the same problem with MBL although they have improved.

I am a big fan of Tannoy speakers...and would love to hear their Presige line as well. Have seen the Blumenhofer speakers at my local dealer but never had the chance to actually listen to them. I have been wanting to listen to EAR Primary Drive Concept 1 at the same local dealer...so I might listen to the Blumenhofer while I am at it. :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Heck, you can say whatever you like! Sounds like they're just not your cup of tea which is sure your prerogative to say so. Not sure why you'd care if they've improved to what your standard is though, just don't listen to them! ;)

David

Blumenhofer speakers are great. One of the best sound at last AVShow in Warsaw.

I am a big fan of Tannoy speakers...and would love to hear their Presige line as well. Have seen the Blumenhofer speakers at my local dealer but never had the chance to actually listen to them. I have been wanting to listen to EAR Primary Drive Concept 1 at the same local dealer...so I might listen to the Blumenhofer while I am at it. :)

Great thread, but worthless, each speaker in each room will be: a. the best, b. ok, c. suck.

I would be willing to state that a 500$ speaker in room A could sound better than a 5000$ speaker. Then move to room B, and, hey presto, you would get the opposite result.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Then move to room B, and, hey presto, you would get the opposite result.

That would be the case for all types of gear then...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Great thread, but worthless, each speaker in each room will be: a. the best, b. ok, c. suck.

I would be willing to state that a 500$ speaker in room A could sound better than a 5000$ speaker. Then move to room B, and, hey presto, you would get the opposite result.

But will a good $500 speaker in a right room sound better than a good $5000 one in a right room (I mean rooms just right for each speaker).?

I'm not mentioning the fact that it is usually quite easy to find a $5000 speakers that will sound better than a $500 ones in the same room.

BTW it's my 500th post. A coincidence.? ;)

But will a good $500 speaker in a right room sound better than a good $5000 one in a right room (I mean rooms just right for each speaker).?

This.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I'm not mentioning the fact that it is usually quite easy to find a $5000 speakers that will sound better than a $500 ones in the same room.

Good point. I think we all need SEVERAL listening rooms. A $500 room, a $5000 room etc.......

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I've just bought a pair of Tune Audio Anima speakers. Driven by a pair of 211 SET mono amps, these are easily the best speakers I've had in my listening room to date.

Tune Audio Anima with 211 mono.jpg

Not cheap, and maybe not to everyone's tastes sonically, but the end-game for me... in terms of speakers at least.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Cheers CF. Hats off to the guys at Tune Audio over in Greece, and to the dealer here in the UK. They all did a stunning job and I couldn't be happier.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I'm not a fan of horn speakers but in my personal ranking many of them are among the best looking loudspeakers. These ones look impressive too!

BTW I've heard about a Japanese audiophile whose listening room ceiling was horn shaped and served as a subwoofer for a SET system. Would like to hear it if the story was true!