IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.?

18 hours ago, fas42 said:

Interesting what happens here - it starts with something like live dynamics, but then someone apparently switches something, and it collapses into PA sludge - I tend not to like the "tiny sound" of the latter, 🤪.

Horns are very directional, the tinny sound is probably happening on axis. Awful stuff, but apparently exciting and lively and loud is enough for some headbangers

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The "best" sounding speakers I have owned are:

1. Focal 1008Be

2. Magico S1 MK2

3. Audio Physic Midex.

The "best" sounding speakers I have not owned is Crystal Cable Arabesque Glass Speakers.

However, I believe my best speakers are yet to be discovered.

MetalNuts

My best sounding speakers are the new ones my CFO allowed me to buy with my ‘last rodeo’/system a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors— the only other ones I have ever had were Cambridge Soundworks(Henry kloss’s old company) newton tower 500’s model 6s and bi/tri directional s-300 satellites in a quasi 7.1 system

On 1/1/2020 at 7:45 AM, semente said:

Horns are very directional, the tinny sound is probably happening on axis. Awful stuff, but apparently exciting and lively and loud is enough for some headbangers

The big three-way AvantGarde horns actually sound very good and don’t seem to beam like many horns do. The worst horns I’ve heard are the original Klipshorns, and the Altec-Lansing A7 “Voice-of-the-theater” speakers (which I briefly owned as a teen*. I ended up “donating” them to my high school for the auditorium). They were simply awful. They used the notorious Altec 500 Hz treble horn for the kids and highs. This exponential horn was made from cast aluminum, and if you thumped it with your finger it rang like the bells of St. Mary’s. I’m sure that you can imagine what that did to any musical material that came even close to that horn’s resonant frequency!

*These speakers were given to me as the local movie theater was being renovated into a retail space, and they were going to throw the speakers away.

George

• 1 year later...

Based on memory (which may not be accurate)

those Infinity IRS towers from decades ago. 

Haven't heard any uber speakers recently, just some very good ones. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)