IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Tim: Hurray! I was going to suggest DIY boards, but thought that might be too much to ask for. As soon as a DIY DSD is board is available, I'll be in. I hope it can have micro BNC connectors (u.fl) for input lines in addition to pin headers... Oh yeah, I would prefer balanced designs as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just download the ZIP and see what is inside...

Ah, apologies: I had deleted the 32-bit previously.

However, the crashes continue. I set a log file for NAA, and see the error:

protocol error: clSocket::Send(): send(): Unknown error

... which I notice in the NAA thread on this forum, someone else had but overcame it by using the beta of HQplayer, so i am downloading the beta now...

Just for information of anyone else that may go down this rabbit hole, I never have managed to get the Pink Faun I2S bridge working properly under Linux (at best, I get stutters even with redbook files using squeezelite, but no sound at all using NAA), but I did install Jplay on my ControlPC and AudioPC, and can successfully play music over the network using the Jplay mini player on the controlPC. But if I try to use the (local) Jplay driver as the output for HQplayer, HQplayer crashes.

protocol error: clSocket::Send(): send(): Unknown error

This looks like a network configuration or firewall issue.

... which I notice in the NAA thread on this forum, someone else had but overcame it by using the beta of HQplayer, so i am downloading the beta now...

Latest version is 3.14.4 release, betas are something prior to 3.14.0 release.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I just ordered the Holo Spring Audio DAC, does anyone know where can I download USB driver for Windows 10?

I found them here https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacgreen just do a find on that page for driver.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Screenshot_6.jpgI dug out the Sonore to do some fiddling today. As I got a new Dac in the mail today and am doing some comparisons again of burned in vs not burned in... anyhow. not the point. I wanted to see if the urendu was working. Many said they had some issues doing oversampling to DSD512. I immediately noticed I no longer could do PCM to DSD512 from Rune... very odd. But after fiddling a bit. I got everything working... i did update Rune manually with a reinstall, and downloaded a new version of HQplayer, mine was outdated as I don't use it very often. 3.13 I believe. it's 3.14.4 now. My specs probably are not ideal still, as PCM setting probably can be 384k, but oddly the settings seem really picky on HQ player and don't make much sense to me. I used to use HQ player by it self before using Rune, and play a few files.. after that start up rune and things seem to work as intended.

I am using the urendu with usb direct into usb of the Spring KTE dac. I don't have an SU1 if you can believe, all are out on loan and waiting for a large order to arrive this week or early next week.

The popping that happens from PCM to DSD is still apparent and still looking into some solutions.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro and Urendu is set to HQPlayer NAA mode.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_14.jpg

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

This looks like a network configuration or firewall issue.

Re firewall, well it works from Jplay to Jplay, and also works from the same hqplayer desktop configuration to a microRendu in NAA mode.

In desperation, I bought a license to Windows 10 and installed networkaudiod on it last night, with the same result: selecting ASIO4ALL driver results in networkaudiod crashing. Unfortunately, my 30 day trial of hqplayer desktop on Windows has expired, so I cannot try it with Jplay... (this was running hqplayer desktop under Linux)....

@Miska, I can't help but wonder if the crash somehow results from running networkaudiod on my (Atom 3200 based) hardware. Do you know for a fact that the 32-bit Windows binary works on this hardware?

At this point I am giving up and will try Linux again on the NAA... however, I need to get the Pink Faun card working properly locally before I start trying to get it to work remotely! I just heard word from the Netherlands that I might have to install a 32-bit version of Linux to get the PF card to work properly under Linux (it seems to work just fine under 64-bit Windows!).

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32572[/ATTACH]I dug out the Sonore to do some fiddling today. As I got a new Dac in the mail today and am doing some comparisons again of burned in vs not burned in... anyhow. not the point. I wanted to see if the urendu was working. Many said they had some issues doing oversampling to DSD512. I immediately noticed I no longer could do PCM to DSD512 from Rune... very odd. But after fiddling a bit. I got everything working... i did update Rune manually with a reinstall, and downloaded a new version of HQplayer, mine was outdated as I don't use it very often. 3.13 I believe. it's 3.14.4 now. My specs probably are not ideal still, as PCM setting probably can be 384k, but oddly the settings seem really picky on HQ player and don't make much sense to me. I used to use HQ player by it self before using Rune, and play a few files.. after that start up rune and things seem to work as intended.

I am using the urendu with usb direct into usb of the Spring KTE dac. I don't have an SU1 if you can believe, all are out on loan and waiting for a large order to arrive this week or early next week.

The popping that happens from PCM to DSD is still apparent and still looking into some solutions.

Tim, thanks for this information, it definitely helps!

What version of the uRendu OS are you running (displayed in Sonicorbiter)?

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Thank you Tim. According to Jesus there was supposed to be an update to the MR that will allow native DSD through the SU-1. I was only borrowing the MR and I dont have it any longer to verify.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Screenshot_8.jpg

These are slightly tweaked, but working very well right now. The pops still exist and that would need some find the source of this. It only has pops when i'm using the urendu. If just our signed drivers then all is fine.

Screenshot_7.jpg

Tim Connor

Trying to get my Holo and SU-1 set up optimally. Sound great now, but I can only get DSD 256 out of them over i2s. I suspect this has a lot to do with DoP, but my HQPlayer settings don't include an option for "direct", just "DoP" or "none". When I choose "none" I get all my DSD material resampled to PCM.

Any thoughts? Here's my settings window:

Sherwood HQP Settings.PNG

Sherwood HQP Settings 2.PNG

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

Trying to get my Holo and SU-1 set up optimally. Sound great now, but I can only get DSD 256 out of them over i2s. I suspect this has a lot to do with DoP, but my HQPlayer settings don't include an option for "direct", just "DoP" or "none". When I choose "none" I get all my DSD material resampled to PCM.

Any thoughts? Here's my settings window:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32580[/ATTACH]

The SU1 can only do right now 256 over DoP. To get 512, you need to only use USB.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

The SU1 can only do right now 256 over DoP. To get 512, you need to only use USB.

That's disappointing if true. Kitsune's site says the SU-1 can do DSD512, which was a deciding factor in my (inebriated) purchase.

KitsuneSU1.PNG

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

@Sherwood, I sent you a PM. Prefer to do other activities drunk! :)

That's disappointing if true. Kitsune's site says the SU-1 can do DSD512, which was a deciding factor in my (inebriated) purchase.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32581[/ATTACH]

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I came across new firmware update for Holo Audio Spring DAC... Please proceed with caution as incorrect flashing of firmware will render the USB input not working!!!

The latest firmware is 16.92, you need to install XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver-3036(v2.23.0).exe in order to check which firmware is currently having (I will check it later) There's a document: 泉USB固件升级方法.pdf which show how to check and flash the USB XMOS firmware. Can anyone check with Jeff Zhu, the designer of Holo Audio Spring DAC regarding on this before proceeding and what is this firmware suppose to fix?

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/holo-audio-spring-r2r-dac-hi-end-dsd-dac-220v-only.html - USB firmware update

spring_1692_update.bin - 哔哩网盘搜索 - 速度最快资源最多的百度网盘搜索神器 - another website on USB firmware update.

Wow, why the alert? This firmware (1692) has been since last September. It is the most recent but surprised anyone would not already have it installed from Tim/factory.

Thanks Ted, I've check mine (I got it couples of days ago) and it is indeed 1692. Looks like updating the USB input firmware can be done without sending the unit to the factory!

Hi Ted,

I noticed when I setup Auralic Aries (presumed it uses some kind of Linux based OS), I got click noise when switching from DSD64/DSD128 back to PCM or vice-versa. The noise becomes quite apparent like pop noise when switch from PCM or DSD64/DSD128 to DSD256 and back to it again. Every time when I try to play DSD256, I've mute the volume. Is there a way to fix this problem?

To my surprised, this issue is non-existent if I use Roon+Windows with the supplied Holo Spring certified Windows 10 drivers.

Hi Ted,

I noticed when I setup Auralic Aries (presumed it uses some kind of Linux based OS), I got click noise when switching from DSD64/DSD128 back to PCM or vice-versa. The noise becomes quite apparent like pop noise when switch from PCM or DSD64/DSD128 to DSD256 and back to it again. Every time when I try to play DSD256, I've mute the volume. Is there a way to fix this problem?

To my surprised, this issue is non-existent if I use Roon+Windows with the supplied Holo Spring certified Windows 10 drivers.

That's because this is a linux issue or possibly linux +HQ player issue. The pop noise won't happen otherwise if you use our Signed drivers. There is more testing to narrow it down. But are pretty sure why this is happening. I'm PM'ed some to explain what we have found, and getting the support to fix this will be next.

Linux could be fixed is the developers write code to detect DSD correctly. It is technically possible. And hope everyone can work together to get a fix for this. I have another customer i'm talking with who said he got a custom linux support kernel for the SU1 and i'm trying to find if it's fixed. Anyhow, more testing is needed.

-----

SU-1 added to Linux github. Anyone running a device on Linux like the microrendu will need to add this patch to their code. I've forwarded this to Singxer Dev and hope to hear back from them soon, the USB ID is slight diff than F1, and want to confirm this.

USB id of the F1 is 2bb1:3086 and the USB id of the SU-1 is 20b1:3086

not sure if this is a typo, or supposed to be different. Waiting to hear back from Singxer.

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/commit/bb0fee4a79bb87e4031d335c243c4e7a35028846

Tim Connor

If I understand it correctly it is the manufacturers (Auralic) that need to find the fix rather the DAC manufacturers (Holo Audio Spring)? The Auralic Aries plays DSD64/DSD128 (Default is DoP) with no problem; no pop or click sound. The moment it just about to start playing DSD256 (Default is Native) a loud pop sound happened. If one pause and start playing again, a loud pop can be heard.